Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+41
RandomBlank
Theta
Formis_Fluttergod
hawkeye92
Ametros
The Holy Tuna
Scyto Harmony
Vergil
iLateralGX
Meleagridis
Katarn
Derpmind
Quotidian
IncoherentOrange
tylertoon2
Valikdu
nebulous
Kattlarv
Harmony Ltd.
Admiral Stoic Rum
Custardman
OneMoreDaySK
MrMagma
Cptadder
Somber
Snipehamster
WavemasterRyx
FeatherDust
RoboRed
Aonee
Caoimhe
Ketchup
Icy Shake
Moodyman90
Stringtheory
SilentCarto
Rafafidi
Kippershy
Sindri
O. Hinds
45 posters

Page 18 of 31 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24 ... 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 18 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Stringtheory Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:56 pm

@the green dot
personally I think it's Spike for these reasons: the OIA was called 'Spike's ministry' for a reason, despite us seeing very little of him so far in our trips back to the 'old world', maybe he was just in charge of the nice, not secret, or that Goldenblood was working behind his back, or, huge plot twist, that he knew about all the secret projects and went along with them for whatever reason, whether because he knew he couldn't do anything about them, because Goldenblood was so powerful, or that he agreed with them, that they needed to be done in order to win the war, maybe?

@littlehorn
maybe Luna convinced Goldenblood that a different martyr would work therefore Big Mac was the best candidate who was also expendable, maybe? and that killing Big Mac, Psalm's squad leader and friend, would be the trigger that make her go soulles, thereby allowing her to be the perfect tool for Project Partypooper, maybe Big Mac was secretly informed that there would be a sniper, possibly right before, thereby making sure he would be the one to take the shot and not Celestia...

just some speculation on my part
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 18 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Ketchup Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Valikdu wrote:
swicked wrote:[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 18 Happy2
You made me start reading that blog.
-It's creepy.
-It's CREEPY.
-It's FUCKING CREEPY.
-I can't stop.
I looked at it briefly once. Kinda disturbing, meh.
Speaking of strange/creepy but strangely addictive, I rather like listening to the Rainbow Factory song over and over again.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:14 pm

Okay I just googled what that was and...well... yeah I'm a bit creeped out by it. The people who ask the questions moreso. The facial expressions are pretty neat but overall it looks like pony heads on human bodies in my opinion.

There's a lot of stuff in this fandom I don't understand and some I don't really want to understand, haha.

Oh, I submitted my article to my editor today. Hopefully will be published at the end of the month if everyone else has their work done for the heading we're putting this all under. I can't post it yet, though, sorry. :(
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:44 pm

ketchup504 wrote:Speaking of strange/creepy but strangely addictive, I rather like listening to the Rainbow Factory song over and over again.

...Did I mention that there's a building called Spectra Extractor in my DF mod?

Caoimhe wrote:Okay I just googled what that was and...well... yeah
I'm a bit creeped out by it. The people who ask the questions moreso.
The facial expressions are pretty neat but overall it looks like pony
heads on human bodies in my opinion.

There's a lot of stuff in this fandom I don't understand and some I don't really want to understand, haha.

Why so serious? [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 18 2113965524
Spoiler:

Last edited by Valikdu on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:50 pm

Oh neat, so it's intentional? Makes sense.

I guess there's a line I draw but to each his own!
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Wow, I go offline to form my own thoughts and you guys go like five pages already. Didn't want to be influenced by y'alls ideas, yet.
Anyways, here's my first try at a review:

Chapter 49:
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:47 pm

You know, Aristotle said that the mark of a good tragedy was in representing ponies (men) as better than they are in real life.

After everything they've accomplished, Somber doesn't deserve 2 full pages of being accused of being a bad writer...

O. Hinds wrote:Thank you. Also, to your credit, it was your art that came to mind when Boo was frowning.
I'm honored, sir, thank you, again.
Always love for Boo.

Well after I finish lunch I'll get back to working on my commentary, I think it's half done after spending all last night on it... so maybe I can get it done before 5am... I doubt it.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:There comes time in one's life when he decides to post something into PH thread.
Sindri wrote:
Aonee wrote:Ya know guys, with 49 out I'm pretty certain PH has broke the 1,000,000 word mark.
Nope. 969590.

Next chapter.
I think it was more around 973 000 but what's 3000 words in (almost) 1M-word long novel.

As for the last chapter, it certainly wasn't something I was expecting to see at 2AM while preparing to go to bed. Didn't get much sleep but it was worth it. Twilight crazy
Chapter 49 Impressions:
Welcome!

Theta wrote:
Thoughts after reading:
Glory already mentioned the "champion in bed" thing to Blackjack, though.

Valikdu wrote:
ketchup504 wrote:Speaking of strange/creepy but strangely addictive, I rather like listening to the Rainbow Factory song over and over again.

Dare I ask what it does?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Valikdu wrote:

Dare I ask what it does?

It consumes pony spinal tissue and produces spectra, then mixes spectra into rainbows.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:40 pm

Well that's one case for stem cell research, more purty rainbows!!!!
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:52 pm

Valikdu wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
Valikdu wrote:

Dare I ask what it does?

It consumes pony spinal tissue and produces spectra, then mixes spectra into rainbows.
What is rainbow used for? Weather control?
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:11 pm

ketchup504 wrote:
Valikdu wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
Dare I ask what it does?
Rainbow Factory is a fanfic that seems to be an attempt to recreate the Cupcakes effect. It involves Rainbow Dash running the secret factory where they shred living pegasus foals (the ones who fail their flight test, anyway) in a machine to create the colors that go into rainbow juice. I only skimmed it once I figured out what it was about, but I don't think they ever really explained why rainbows were so critically important that they're worth murdering children. I found it tiresome in its awfulness -- Cupcakes was shocking because nobody expected it, and once you get past that, it and fics in the same vein are just pointless brutality with no redeeming features (unless you get off on that sort of thing).

Obviously, given where I'm posting this, I don't have a problem with rather brutal stories -- but FoE and PH do that with a heroic theme and context that those stories lack.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:51 pm

swicked wrote:Does that mean we might not have met this green yet, but it could be someone really important to Goldenblood?
From the color, I'd guess... Emerald? Was that one of the OIA liaisons?
I'm really grasping at straws, here.
We don't really know anyone of particular importance who would be reasonably noted as green. I mean, there's Vanity, and I'd been assuming the green and gold were Vanity and Blueblood, but if we're looking for someone Luna would want to keep tabs on as closely as she does the Mane Six, that doesn't fly. Emerald is possible, but if her, why not the rest of the OIA liasons? Their whole schtick is to be allegedly-unimportant mid-level bureaucrats. Applesnack presents a similar problem -- he's important to AJ and to the story, but not to the war or government in general. Spike... could be a possibility, but he was usually hanging around with Twilight.

Maybe it's Gummy. Applebloom

Cptadder wrote:RE: Soul memory and Body memory
This sounds like a case for SCIENCE to solve. Get me a team of myth-busting ponies, a hundred pounds of Comb-B and five pounds of detcord and we will see what kind of SCIENCE can determine exactly how well and how quickly Souls can retain memories.
Well, it's entirely possible that Snips and BJ retain stronger links to their former memories than the typical soul. BJ was comatose-but-not-quite-dead the first time, and had an anchor spell on her the second (plus the whole not-quite-dead thing, via cyborg life support), while Snips still has chunks of soul in Snails and the statue. The other souls do retain some sense of self, given that BJ could pick up a general idea of who they were, but I doubt they're as self-aware as BJ and Snips.

On the other hoof, Gin Rummy certainly retained enough to appear to BJ as herself, and she knew who she was and what BJ was to her. Perhaps it just takes some amount of time for a soul to 'forget' itself. I find myself wondering if it's no coincidence that the Mane Six are all roughly the same age -- perhaps their souls deliberately entered the world together, and now they're waiting for the other two (three?) before they move on again.

Sindri wrote:Smells like confirmation bias to me. She does seem likely, but is by no means the only option. It could be the remains of the star that died preventing the Eater from rising thousands of years ago and wiped out the zebra city in the process. It could be the Eater caught in something more powerful; the hum of the Harbingers matched up with the screams of the Enervation IIRC. It could be the zebra shamans and alchemists who botched things back then. It could be Horse, or the engineer who turned on the reactor on his orders, caught here when they tried to exploit the fallen star for power. Luna's in the three most likely, but there are countless possibilities.
The EoS itself is definitely a possibility. Someone already mentioned the "sawblade" sounds a lot like Tia's cutie mark, so maybe that IS the experimental generator set up under the Core, zapping the EoS itself for power. And that would fit with the whole "sympathetic monster" theme. Ponies seem rather good at capturing and exploiting beings they really have no business defeating -- cf. Discord.

FeatherDust wrote:Not for the same reasons, but it wasn't for me either. I don't know why, but it just seemed obvious when that fact came out.
I had kind of the same experience. I didn't bat an eye at the "our father, the king" line, and it didn't really quite register until the others expressed surprise. Then I was like, "Oh, he is? 'kay..."

Cptadder wrote:Oh hey you guys are hearing my voice for the first time and I'm a really nice guy but I'm totally taking off now to the Batcave with Whisper to go make Batbabys and we can totally never return because... the writer said so and by the way I'm a Prince
Yeah, I'm sure he's never, ever, ever going to show up again backed by a surprise batpony army to save BJ's bacon at a critical moment. :p

And what's wrong with saying, "I have a duty to my people, and it's not out here in the wasteland"? He's got priorities, and a couple of mares he's known for less than two days don't outweigh them.

FeatherDust wrote:Um.... wow. Am I the only one who just assumed the missing member will be Scotch, who has post-op pneumonia, plans for the town, and DOES NOT NEED to be in any more life threatening situations for a while?
It's probably a sign of good writing that the party is fraying to the point that there's four different characters that are TOTALLY OBVIOUS as the one that's going to leave. XD

Somber wrote:I want it to be a psychosexual story of exploration. It's not. And it probably never will be... sigh...
The fact that you can seriously use that word in a sentence with a straight face makes my brain explode.

Theta wrote:It seems likely that Goldenblood found out that Big Mac was going to leave the Marauders and decided that it would be bad for morale.
Getting Psalm to shoot at either Celestia or Macintosh would be one hell of a trick.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Somber wrote:

The reason why they have a King and a Queen is they've latched their identity on that of Tartarus, which is ruled by a King and Queen. They don't actually live in the underworld, but that would be a spoiler.
I'll buy that, But I'll note this is OOC explanation you can see how how a standard reader not reading the forums might look at that and go what okay what now? Or they might just ignore it, I'm a world building guy so anytime I see a club where I expect a spade I ask.

I'm guessing the is also pre-explanation for the now inevitable goes Back to the Batcave!

Somber wrote:
Here is stygius' character: he's a wastrel prince who meets a surfacer and goes 'Yeah, I can hit on that. Better than being expected to marry my sister.' And then goes with her into a world he's only seen occasionally. He beds her, sure, but she is so much more than his kind back home that when she is attacked he tries to help her. He follows her to glimpse a world both terrifying but also frighteningly real. Most batponies never reach their home and they are rapidly dwindling their gene pool. After travelling with BJ, he knows he has to go back, but he doesn't want to. He knows his father will come if he doesn't, and that would be ugly, so he returns knowing now how much more needs to be done for Luna's guards. If I'd given him the ability to talk, hopefully that would have been clearer.
The problem is that we don't get that info dumb. What I know as a reader before your explanation is the following

Somber as CptAdder the Reader wrote:
Here is stygius' character: he's a wastrel who meets a surfacer and goes 'Yeah, I can hit on that. Better than my sister.' And then goes with her into a world he's only seen occasionally. He beds her, sure, but she is so much more than his kind back home that when she is attacked he tries to help her. He follows her to glimpse a world both terrifying but also frighteningly real. .
The rest gets kinda info dumped on us in one chapter, considering the long term buildup it seems a quick info dump and something along these lines of I have to go now... my planet needs me.

WavemasterRyx wrote:

After everything they've accomplished, Somber doesn't deserve 2 full pages of being accused of being a bad writer...
When Somber does good I say so, when Somber is okay I don't say much and when Somber does something I feel is off I also say something. There's a reason why I spoiler my dislikes so people can ignore that and see only happy fun time comments if they so wish.

SilentCarto wrote:

Cptadder wrote:RE: Soul memory and Body memory
This sounds like a case for SCIENCE to solve. Get me a team of myth-busting ponies, a hundred pounds of Comb-B and five pounds of detcord and we will see what kind of SCIENCE can determine exactly how well and how quickly Souls can retain memories.
Well, it's entirely possible that Snips and BJ retain stronger links to their former memories than the typical soul. BJ was comatose-but-not-quite-dead the first time, and had an anchor spell on her the second (plus the whole not-quite-dead thing, via cyborg life support), while Snips still has chunks of soul in Snails and the statue. The other souls do retain some sense of self, given that BJ could pick up a general idea of who they were, but I doubt they're as self-aware as BJ and Snips.

On the other hoof, Gin Rummy certainly retained enough to appear to BJ as herself, and she knew who she was and what BJ was to her. Perhaps it just takes some amount of time for a soul to 'forget' itself. I find myself wondering if it's no coincidence that the Mane Six are all roughly the same age -- perhaps their souls deliberately entered the world together, and now they're waiting for the other two (three?) before they move on again.
At that point we get to metaphysical to have any kind of serious discussion because your very much in the personal belief and cultural bias wheelhouse where depending on your upbringing your just as likely to argue one way as another.

Myself as a lapsed catholic (Polite way of saying raised Catholic turned Atheist) who grew up playing lots of Planescape I'm trying to frame it in those terms so I know better than to get involved in any kind of discussion about souls, the afterlife and the like. My history makes me disbelieve in it, and were I to believe it existed I'd be plotting how to invade it.

SilentCarto wrote:

Cptadder wrote:Oh hey you guys are hearing my voice for the first time and I'm a really nice guy but I'm totally taking off now to the Batcave with Whisper to go make Batbabys and we can totally never return because... the writer said so and by the way I'm a Prince
Yeah, I'm sure he's never, ever, ever going to show up again backed by a surprise batpony army to save BJ's bacon at a critical moment. :p
I prefer Blackjack visit Wayne Manor first to talk things over with the Bat King, get involved in whacky hijinks and secure a (off screen) alliance so the surprise Batpony army is built up rather than simply a plot gun to be fired when hope seems lost.

Besides with two deaths under her belt I've lost all fear that something bad is going to happen to Blackjack before it happens to her companions

SilentCarto wrote:
And what's wrong with saying, "I have a duty to my people, and it's not out here in the wasteland"? He's got priorities, and a couple of mares he's known for less than two days don't outweigh them.
That in and of itself is perfectly fine. Great charterer trait. I've known you people for less than a week, my people need me. I just wish we had gotten some build up before we get that trait defined and lose Stiggy. Some time to get to know him when he can talk or at least is more communicative. Aside from Blackjack taking his virginity and High tower he only got to almost die like seven times. That's nothing when your spending time with Blackjack.

Also the last is pure word choice "Can never return" vs "if you come with me it might be some time before I can convince my father to let you come and go as you wish". Anytime anyone says "And you can never return" I start calling Vegas to get odds on how soon someone will be coming back to life/returning to where they came/getting back their super powers because that shit... never... ever... sticks. If you have to say you can never return, unless the person dies or totally gives up there's always a way. If you can get in you can get out again, if you can get out you can get back in. Need is the key.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Cptadder wrote:Besides with two deaths under her belt I've lost all fear that something bad is going to happen to Blackjack before it happens to her companions
Wow. I guess I have to ask what "bad" means in your language, since apparently mutation, mutilation, rape, death, crippling, and death don't count as "something bad".
Did you mean something irreversibly bad, that can't be fixed with technology or magic? Something that removes her from the story? 'cause, y'know... you knew going in that the hero wasn't gonna die at the end of book 3 of 5 (or more).

Anytime anyone says "And you can never return" I start calling Vegas to get odds on how soon someone will be coming back to life/returning to where they came/getting back their super powers because that shit... never... ever... sticks.
Heh, true that.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:55 pm

FeatherDust wrote:
ketchup504 wrote:
Valikdu wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
Dare I ask what it does?
Rainbow Factory is a fanfic that seems to be an attempt to recreate the Cupcakes effect. It involves Rainbow Dash running the secret factory where they shred living pegasus foals (the ones who fail their flight test, anyway) in a machine to create the colors that go into rainbow juice. I only skimmed it once I figured out what it was about, but I don't think they ever really explained why rainbows were so critically important that they're worth murdering children. I found it tiresome in its awfulness -- Cupcakes was shocking because nobody expected it, and once you get past that, it and fics in the same vein are just pointless brutality with no redeeming features (unless you get off on that sort of thing).

Obviously, given where I'm posting this, I don't have a problem with rather brutal stories -- but FoE and PH do that with a heroic theme and context that those stories lack.
I know, I've read it.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:57 pm

swicked wrote:For those that are interested, here is the story in video form, mentally enhanced for your entertainment.

FiMFlamFilosophy deserves so much more attention than he gets...
They're so great.
Note that this in no way reflects the original story, as it goes almost completely off the rails within like 90 seconds.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:04 pm

FeatherDust wrote:
swicked wrote:For those that are interested, here is the story in video form, mentally enhanced for your entertainment.

They're so great.
Note that this in no way reflects the original story, as it goes almost completely off the rails within like 90 seconds.
From what I've watched of it so far, it does just that.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:09 pm

This is freaking fantastic. This fuckin' community, I swear. Spike

The super violent shocking stories, in my opinion as someone still new to all this, seem to do harm to the fandom. They seem to be mostly written for shock value and and seem to have very little literary qualities to them. Of course, they seem to get the most attention and taint the perception of fan-works. I mean, Cupcakes/Rainbow Factory fall under the same 'grimdark' tag as FoE fics do in general, right?

Again, to each his own but ehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I also learned the term 'gluefic' today while looking this stuff up that I have to say made me laugh a little.

Last edited by Caoimhe on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:09 pm

FeatherDust wrote:
Wow. I guess I have to ask what "bad" means in your language, since apparently mutation, mutilation, rape, death, crippling, and death don't count as "something bad".
Did you mean something irreversibly bad, that can't be fixed with technology or magic? Something that removes her from the story? 'cause, y'know... you knew going in that the hero wasn't gonna die at the end of book 3 of 5 (or more).
Bad is in permanent, in a world without cybernetics and magic she'd already have bad stuff happen to her. But considering how suicidally she throws herself in danger nothing short Glory abandoning her or P-21's internal bits sprayed across her face like the Raider back in Chapter 3 would count as a "bad thing". She's already suffered so much physically and mentally she's kinda jaded at this point, now the hurt must come from the outside. You can hurt her body but you can't hurt HER just the meat her brain is riding around in. I suppose if you sat down with various sharp metal objects and buckets of acid you could find something that hurting her would hurt here but we are in torture porn territory there.

There's only so times one can be shot or set on fire before it becomes the equivalent of a runny nose. Inconvenient but it will pass, hell even radiation and ennervation fall into this grouping because again Blackjack was less worried about her cybernetic cyborg pony self than her compatriots.
FeatherDust wrote:
Anytime anyone says "And you can never return" I start calling Vegas to get odds on how soon someone will be coming back to life/returning to where they came/getting back their super powers because that shit... never... ever... sticks.
Heh, true that.
Never does which is why I'm offering 14 to 1 odds, a bet of one dollar wins your thirteen if we never see Whisper again.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Agree there. I only started reading Rainbow Factory after seeing this, and stopped not because the content was unpleasant, but because it was boring. I've become increasingly impressed at how well he turns dull stories into quality comedy (and some ongoing stories of his own).

Shorter Cptadder wrote:We need to judge things, in this case Stygius' departure, on what's presented in-text. Also, we all know he'll show up later--there's always a way out if you try hard enough.

Agreed on first point, and I do see how that leads to some issues with translation in character development from the author's mind to the reader's mind. In this case, though, I actually appreciated that we were reaching the (potential) end of a character arc without knowing everything about him, or having a full idea of how he will react to everything. I thought it was a bit of a shake-up from the general feel of PH where BJ--and thus we--tends to learn about the characters in great detail before their departure, or soon after. But that's just a matter of taste.

I'd just like to add this to the return issue: or they could wait for the king to die and Stygius or one of his siblings to ascend to the throne. Sure, the time frame is longer, but it's not never.

Oh, and on the largely unrelated "king in land without" or "shouldn't he be a viceroy to Luna" or "why does the Society have a king" issue, my way of thinking of it is that we just sort of see a quirk of translation. So perhaps "princess" is simply ranked higher than "king" in the hierarchy of nobility in Equestria. It's not like it was uncommon for kings to be subservient to emperors, and there were even times when princes or dukes were more powerful than nearby kings. (I had also always thought to myself that the reason Blueblood was a "prince" was because English doesn't differentiate as it should; would that the show were in German so he could be a prinz to the Sisters' Fürstinnen!) Or perhaps the more circuitous explanation that in MLP a ruling prince has the station and dignity of an emperor, as an anglicization of the title of the early Roman Emperors, which incidentally fits nicely with the show's more...egalitarian[?]...feel, as at least at the time the formalities of the Republic were maintained.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Icy Shake wrote:

Agree there. I only started reading Rainbow Factory after seeing this, and stopped not because the content was unpleasant, but because it was boring. I've become increasingly impressed at how well he turns dull stories into quality comedy (and some ongoing stories of his own).
It was certainly a lot more entertaining.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:43 pm

There was a quality explanation for Princesses and Queens another fanfic writer ventured. In that case if you became King or Queen it meant you were retiring. Kings and Queen having only ceremonial powers while the prince and princesses actually ran the kingdom. It was a neat little inversion that came about because the old King wanted to leave the throne and put his daughter in charge but by law this could not happen as long as he was still alive so he simply transferred power to her and live his days attending balls, feats and tournaments (The fun part of being King) while his children got around with ruling the land. And this became the tradition.

As an explanation method on why the Princess is not the queen (I'm looking at you Disney!) it's better than "my parents are off somewhere offscreen, but they are still alive we swear"
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:54 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
Somber wrote:...a psychosexual story of exploration.
The fact that you can seriously use that word in a sentence with a straight face makes my brain explode.
I think we need to come up with more excuses for Somber to say these words. Applebloom
Theta wrote:It seems likely that Goldenblood found out that Big Mac was going to leave the Marauders and decided that it would be bad for morale.
Getting Psalm to shoot at either Celestia or Macintosh would be one hell of a trick.
Yeah. Kinda like getting her to infiltrate a zebra base, miss her target, and kill an innocent foal.

Cptadder wrote:[snop]
It sounds like your main complaint about Stygius's exit is that it wasn't sufficiently foreshadowed. But I kinda thought it was... maybe I was thinking more about the scene with his sister at the start than most people, maybe I was reading too much into his actions and what little he did say before today, but I was not at all surprised by his status, the rules of his society, or the exit they mandated. There are a lot of things in Somber's writing that are foreshadowed in a very subtle way, so it's obvious in retrospect but we only catch a few of them in advance; this was a step further than that, to where I was going on vague impressions and several people seem to have missed it entirely even with hindsight, but I'm pretty sure the clues were still there.

Caoimhe wrote:The super violent shocking stories, in my opinion as someone still new to all this, seem to do harm to the fandom. They seem to be mostly written for shock value and and seem to have very little literary qualities to them. Of course, they seem to get the most attention and taint the perception of fan-works. I mean, Cupcakes/Rainbow Factory fall under the same 'grimdark' tag as FoE fics do in general, right?

Again, to each his own but ehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I also learned the term 'gluefic' today while looking this stuff up that I have to say made me laugh a little.
I think that there should just be a 'trollfic' tag for things like Cupcakes, Spiderses, My Immortal, etc. where they were clearly never intended to be an actual story. That way you can host them for the people who insist on it, but you don't need to bother digging through for other tags and they're kept separate from things that can be taken seriously.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:28 pm

plug for FO:E New Roam over on FiMfiction, this is the first FO:E fic I've seen which goes into the Zebra side of the war and it does so very well, there's a lot less raiders in Zebra territory, but the extremely dangerous wildlife and organized Legion, who might as well be pre-apocalypse for the level of stuff they have (they need it to battle the wildlife), make up for the low amount of raiders
the character's are awesome, with the main character having a strong sense of 'duty' and taking the danger away from others because it was his plan and no one else should get hurt, while the companions are all awesome, and I'm looking forwards to the future interaction between them
it's already almost 180,000 words long with only 11 chapters, which is very impressive
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:14 pm

swicked wrote:
Caoimhe wrote:

This is freaking fantastic. This fuckin' community, I swear. Spike
Just out of curiosity, since you're new to FiM and all, have you seen Friendship is Witchcraft?
If not I recommend you look into it; the first few episodes are so funny they're nearly lethal.
I'll second this recommendation. Personally I found the first couple episodes to range from moderately amusing to irritating, but the later ones tend to be brilliant and you need to sit through the beginning to get all the jokes.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: FiW

Oh, I went through all of those. Those folks behind it are really damn amazing. I love the clever quick witted dialogue and how everything syncs really well. It's pretty neat how they basically just take the actual characters and just make them incredibly selfish, yet they retain their core "traits."
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Valikdu wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
Valikdu wrote:

Dare I ask what it does?

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 18 Rainbows

Are you sure you can't just use a lumbar puncture to aquire spinal fluid to make rainbows with? Because ponies' spinal fluid probably makes rainbows if refined... right?

Last edited by IncoherentOrange on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:30 am

swicked wrote:Just realized Rarity-heavy episodes are my favorite not just in the show, but in parodies, too XD
Likewise. I tend to be ambivalent toward her when she's on the side of somepony else's story, but every episode centered on Rarity I've loved.

As for FiW, I didn't really like #1 or #6 (The Perfect Swarm, Lunar Slander) and 3, 4, and 5 have been my favorites (Dragone Baby Gone, Cute From The Hip, Neigh Soul Sister). The first three were definitely a steady improvement in my opinion as they got their team together and figured out what they were doing, and now 3-7 seem to be like any normal show with good episodes and bad. Or in this case, excellent episodes and merely decent ones.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:37 am

This. Few things have me excited nowadays, but that is one of them, and I am excited.

I am also considering listening to Fo:E when I have the time. That sounds like fun too.

As for Friendship is Witchcraft? I didn't really watch it, but I should. I've seen bits and pieces and it was rather much hilarious.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 31 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24 ... 31  Next