Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+41
RandomBlank
Theta
Formis_Fluttergod
hawkeye92
Ametros
The Holy Tuna
Scyto Harmony
Vergil
iLateralGX
Meleagridis
Katarn
Derpmind
Quotidian
IncoherentOrange
tylertoon2
Valikdu
nebulous
Kattlarv
Harmony Ltd.
Admiral Stoic Rum
Custardman
OneMoreDaySK
MrMagma
Cptadder
Somber
Snipehamster
WavemasterRyx
FeatherDust
RoboRed
Aonee
Caoimhe
Ketchup
Icy Shake
Moodyman90
Stringtheory
SilentCarto
Rafafidi
Kippershy
Sindri
O. Hinds
45 posters

Page 11 of 31 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21 ... 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 11 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by OneMoreDaySK Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:34 pm

@Erumpet
What Tylertoon2 said. It was awesome when he just had fun with it. But now since the remake is more serious-like, it kind of lost some of it's charm. It's still funny, just, I dunno, some parts irked me, like the new "stupid bird" part.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 11 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by IncoherentOrange Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:35 pm

@WavemasterRyx I might just do so, thank you for your warm reception. I'll keep out of everyone's hair once he starts updating again, and refrain from posting any more about my own stories, (unless anyone asks) as that is rather disrespectful to Somber, as well as unprofessional. Oh yes, can we have more Boo?

I'm off on a quest to achieve Sins of a Solar Empire's Space Ponies achievement. Wish me luck!
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by 222222 Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:42 pm

@OneMoreDaySK: I guess I haven't read the remake, is that the links to the first to chapters revised on the EquestriaDaily page? Because I haven't read those.
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 34

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by 222222 Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:48 pm

@incoherentorange: I don't suppose you are on the play station network by any chance? Because no one else here except wave and possibly admiral are, or at least they are but aren't telling me. And wave is too busy and admiral is well probably drunk. But I digress: the point is I want to kill things with friends, and I am wondering if you would care to join me.
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:53 pm

@Erumpet Closest thing I have is Steam or Xbox LIVE, sorry. I'd be happy to if I could, but that is not so.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by 222222 Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:05 am

@Swicked: I think my post may have been a bit ambiguous, because I think we are in agreement here. I was saying the fact that he said he wasn't going to ship and then did was funny, and that despite that it was still ok. So only kind of in agreement I guess, insomuch as being unhappy with shipfics. I guess I can just console my self by saying its not anything sexual, and that I am only reading it because I started before there was any intention of shipping. But you have to be ok with shipping to some extent, I mean you are reading PH and probably read FOE. Just saying, Somber and KKat shipped ponies like it was going out of style.
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:16 am

Shipping isn't my cup of tea either. Shipping-centric stories I simply do not read. Stories with sexual content (like this one, though I've been told it's not too bad, I mean, my brother has a similar opinion. So it doesn't matter much here anyway; I'm fairly difficult to disturb and I can simply ignore it) I almost never, ever read. However, there's quite a lot more to this story than that.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:29 am

"Through the Eyes of Another Pony" is a mess. It was somewhat funny and entertaining in all of it's chapters, (Your Mileage May Vary,) but as an actual story it totally falls flat on it's face. The author clearly had no idea where he was going, as evidenced by the many impulsive plot twists out of nowhere. And it has innumerable stupid-moments where you're not sure if it's the author, the semi-insert, or the universe that's being more blatantly ridiculous. If that sequel is created, then I'm not reading any of it besides a quick quality-assessment skim of the first chapter, just to see how bad it is.

The main antagonist looking like Harry Potter is both a stroke of mad genius and also the best part of the entire story. But then what I remember of what's-his-name's personality's is really boring, so that's that.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:04 am

Derpmind wrote:"Through the Eyes of Another Pony" is a mess. It was somewhat funny and entertaining in all of it's chapters, (Your Mileage May Vary,) but as an actual story it totally falls flat on it's face. The author clearly had no idea where he was going, as evidenced by the many impulsive plot twists out of nowhere. And it has innumerable stupid-moments where you're not sure if it's the author, the semi-insert, or the universe that's being more blatantly ridiculous. If that sequel is created, then I'm not reading any of it besides a quick quality-assessment skim of the first chapter, just to see how bad it is.

The main antagonist looking like Harry Potter is both a stroke of mad genius and also the best part of the entire story. But then what I remember of what's-his-name's personality's is really boring, so that's that.

If you think that's bad, take a look at what I put out... Actually, opinions on my work are so seldom given that I have no idea if my stories' plotlines are decent. I don't mean to hijack, but...

Okay, I'll stop.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:20 am

I added my newest one to the archive, but those already there are the ones I was talking about. The first two.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by 222222 Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:20 am

Well all, I give up. You don't like the story and I respect that and will stop trying to redeem it.
*resists urge to be a giant dick
*resists urge to rant
*resists urge to put in a snarky comment at the end
*attempts to resist urge to put this thingamajig in
*fails
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:43 am

Thoughts on shipping:
Real relationships develop slowly. All the evidence I've seen indicates that "love at first sight" is just a nonsensical and temporary horomone rush, and as a general rule a couple that gets married within a year of meeting won't be talking to each other by the end of the second year. This means that a fictional relationship, regardless of who's involved, either takes similar time or comes off as unrealistic, rushed, and generally idiotic and doomed. But a lot of that time is spent on just gradually getting to know someone, spending time with them, etc., all of which is boring and monotonous to watch.

So the writer of a shipping story has four basic options: try to show the whole process from start to finish, end up with a thousand pages and an audience who all fell asleep after the first three dozen. Try to compress it into a reasonably sized narrative, end up with a crappy unrealistic romance novel. Try to just show a pivotal moment or transition in the the romance, end up skipping months of development and make everybody look horrendously mischaracterized. Or, the only option that really seems to work, have the romance in the background of something else. So at least in my experience, there are a lot of stories with good romances in them... but none of those are the focus of the story.

Thoughts on Through the Eyes... specifically:
I was highly amused by the first several chapters; it was ridiculous and stupid but admittedly and relatively intelligently so, and the author was basically taking the list of Mary Sue tropes, using it as a checklist, and still being funny. But I never got around to reading the rewrites. Or anything after like, chapter 12 I think? Maybe I was getting busier and lost track of it, maybe he just couldn't write grimdark, maybe he botched the villain reveal, I honestly don't know, but I've been left with fond memories of what I read and no inclination to look further.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:45 am

IncoherentOrange wrote:I might just do so, thank you for your warm reception. I'll keep out of everyone's hair once he starts updating again, and refrain from posting any more about my own stories, (unless anyone asks) as that is rather disrespectful to Somber, as well as unprofessional. Oh yes, can we have more Boo?

I'm off on a quest to achieve Sins of a Solar Empire's Space Ponies achievement. Wish me luck!
Oh, as I said sir, it's not so much "keeping out of our hair" once the story is back under way as it is in the interest of your not being too exposed to spoilers. As we told OBS.GS.§S recently, feel free to post whenever you wish.

Good luck with your game, and certainly, there will be more Boo in the future, hopefully soon.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:25 am

Off the current train of thoughts, how do you all write those chapter recaps? I can only manage to do one or two points?

On TtEoAP, I guess I'll stop trying to defend it. The story does have a number of flaws, but I glossed over that when reading it.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:42 am

OneMoreDaySK wrote:Off the current train of thoughts, how do you all write those chapter recaps? I can only manage to do one or two points?
From what I gather, some people spend time after reading the chapter going over it and typing thoughts, questions and speculation.
I do it as I go, putting my thoughts while reading down and I post that. I do it for Kipper's fic too.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:03 am

I think I'm going to have to read the story mentioned so I can get all literaryryryry again. Sounds like a fun chance to be cruel (if it's that polarizing). :)
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Aonee Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:20 am

Caoimhe wrote:I think I'm going to have to read the story mentioned so I can get all literaryryryry again. Sounds like a fun chance to be cruel (if it's that polarizing). :)
I believe it's all in how serious you take the story and how easily amused you are. In fact you might even be able to tell who the reviewers are and who aren't by how they react to TtEoAP.
Aonee
Aonee
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 98

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:34 am

tylertoon2 wrote:Well um.

Spoiler:

There's been an accident

Spoiler:

NO! KIP YOU CAN'T SCARE FIRE!

YES I CAN GOD DAMMOT.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:04 am

@Love at first sight discussion

I know a guy who proposed within a month and got married by six (months).
It's been twenty two years for him now and he said things have changed between the two of them as they've both changed, but their love is still going strong because they always knew that things would change over time, as is natural.

I don't think its ALL about the timing as it is about the people themselves. True, timing helps you determine if that person truly is the one for you, if you do get along long term, if you can accept the changes - but some people just will work, no matter when they decide to get married.

@Swicked

Again, thanks for the reviews and also, totally glad that having my fic in my signature helps you. That is what it's there for, after all. hah.

@Ketchup / reviews discussion

Same to you, thanks for the reviews you give. I completely understand how Somber feels on the subject of reviews, because they really are what keeps you going when things seem tough.
When you have reviews, you know people are actually enjoying your hard work and they're telling you what they like, it's really empowering.

When you don't get any reviews... well, it feels like all your hard work is for nothing. Sometimes I wonder if there really is over 40 people actively following my story (as FIMfic tells me) seeing as I can count the actual amount of reviews I get on one hand, and inconsistency / error feedback on another.

It means a lot to a writer to know that someone is willing to put five minutes of effort into it to write down any thoughts - be it during reading or at the end of it. It just makes the difference.

As for how I write my reviews, I normally do a two stage review:

Upon opening a new chapter, I'll open a notepad, write down any errors, big moment/thought patterns or general chatter that goes through my head if I deem it worthy enough - most stuff is though, really.

I'll read the whole chapter, constantly switching from story to notes to story, until I've hit the end.
At the end, I'll look through my notes quickly and do a sum-up of the chapter (unless I'm too tried) and say what I did like, what I didn't, and what I want to know more about (if there is something).
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattlarv Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:25 am

@Nebu: (Ponies) That they could do yes (though, unicorns seems to have quite limited TK) but as said, unlike in most "other examples", they are actually dependant on EP's for survival. It's not like they're just "regular slaves" like in... about every other examples. So pissing off the EP would not technically be good. Ever heard the "Don't piss off the chef" expression?

@EP: Totally random: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m70ebveJfh1qfh1gjo1_1280.jpg

Also *tableflip* gecko damn it! Stop typing so much guys xD At least have (solely) 2 person conversations in PM's xP

Btw guys, I got the weekened alone, and I got a new Pringle's tube... [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 11 64684025

@Tyler: (Sims)
Spoiler:
Btw, you should totally have made it a dorm/high school thingy and named the house "The Sombereros" xD (plus, then I could streak and scar people for life xD)

@Wave:
Spoiler:

@Sindri: (Shipping) I've seen a few good clo-shipfics, one of the better ones I read had partial "time jumps" in them, that they were already together (hinting back to stuff, but usually that can be hard to do) or played out on "previous story/character relationships". And I spaced out here, I dunno where I was going... xD
(Relationships) I blame christains (or religions overall) and society for most of that. So much nag on "no marriage before sex" and yadda yadda. It gets kinda "rushed" that you should go into marriage asap. And going with how on average, 50 % of relationships work, there are ofc "working examples", but there is at least 50 % of examples that goes to heck. Plus, as said, 50 % of all babies made are accidents, and stuff. And I'm rambling again.
Kattlarv
Kattlarv
Hydra

Brohoof! : 27

Character List:
Name: Dewflower
Sex: Female-ish

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:36 am

Kattlarv wrote:@Nebu: (Ponies) That they could do yes (though, unicorns seems to have quite limited TK) but as said, unlike in most "other examples", they are actually dependant on EP's for survival. It's not like they're just "regular slaves" like in... about every other examples. So pissing off the EP would not technically be good. Ever heard the "Don't piss off the chef" expression?

@EP: Totally random: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m70ebveJfh1qfh1gjo1_1280.jpg

Also *tableflip* gecko damn it! Stop typing so much guys xD At least have (solely) 2 person conversations in PM's xP

Btw guys, I got the weekened alone, and I got a new Pringle's tube... [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 11 64684025

Spoiler:
Btw, you should totally have made it a dorm/high school thingy and named the house "The Sombereros" xD (plus, then I could streak and scar people for life xD)

@Wave:
Spoiler:

@Sindri: (Shipping) I've seen a few good clo-shipfics, one of the better ones I read had partial "time jumps" in them, that they were already together (hinting back to stuff, but usually that can be hard to do) or played out on "previous story/character relationships". And I spaced out here, I dunno where I was going... xD
(Relationships) I blame christains (or religions overall) and society for most of that. So much nag on "no marriage before sex" and yadda yadda. It gets kinda "rushed" that you should go into marriage asap. And going with how on average, 50 % of relationships work, there are ofc "working examples", but there is at least 50 % of examples that goes to heck. Plus, as said, 50 % of all babies made are accidents, and stuff. And I'm rambling again.

Have I told you how I'm going to marry you, yet?
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:47 am

Kattlarv wrote:
Oh lawdy...

Kippershy wrote:Have I told you how I'm going to marry you, yet?
OH DOUBLE LAWDY!!!
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:47 am

@shipping
I really can't read shipping focused stories, stories which have shipping as even a secondary main plot line like say At Home on the Range I'm fine with for some reason
I'm just weird...
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:57 am

stringtheory wrote:@shipping
I really can't read shipping focused stories, stories which have shipping as even a secondary main plot line like say At Home on the Range I'm fine with for some reason
I'm just weird...

It's because there's another point--a primary aspect--to the story. That's the simple answer, but of course it varies from person to person what they do and do not like in a fanfic, or if they like fanfics at all.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Kippershy wrote:
When you don't get any reviews... well, it feels like all your hard work is for nothing. Sometimes I wonder if there really is over 40 people actively following my story (as FIMfic tells me) seeing as I can count the actual amount of reviews I get on one hand, and inconsistency / error feedback on another.

It means a lot to a writer to know that someone is willing to put five minutes of effort into it to write down any thoughts - be it during reading or at the end of it. It just makes the difference.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 11 I-know-that-feel-bro
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:27 pm

@review advice
Thanks y'all. I'll try to do one next chapter for somber.

@Kim and Kip
Pfft can't wait to see where this is going. Though I don'g get the Pringles tube thing...
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:54 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:Off the current train of thoughts, how do you all write those chapter recaps? I can only manage to do one or two points?
I keep a text file (or more recently a google doc, so I don't lose it if my computer wonks) open on the side and type my thoughts as I read, when I remember to. It help me think it all through more rationally an notice/remember more out of the story, and Somber's said she likes them because they let her see what works, what doesn't, what people notice or don't, and adjust the scope/focus of future chapters accordingly. Because of the way my mind works I tend to stop and speculate extensively when information is revealed or questions are raised, and kinda skip combat and interpersonal relations and such in my reviews because I'm too busy reading to write myself. Other people focus on different aspects. Some (with better memory than me) keep all their comments for the end to read without interruption. There's really no way to do it wrong, but I encourage you to do something, both to support the author and to enhance your own understanding by thinking about it more.

swicked wrote:My spouse's dad proposed after the first week of dating. They've been married for about thirty four years so far.
Boo ya.
I never said it was impossible, just gave a rule of thumb based on my observations. Like Kipper said, some people will work and marrying early isn't a problem for them. But most people tend to be absolutely sure that somebody is "the one" long before they know them anywhere near well enough to decide something like that, and doom themselves to heartbreak or dysfunctional families later on. Maybe 10-20% of the people that an average person "falls in love with" over the course of their life will actually be valid choices; if you hit the right one first that's great but don't count on it and be cautious about huge, life-changing things.

OneMoreDaySK wrote:@Kim and Kip
Pfft can't wait to see where this is going. Though I don'g get the Pringles tube thing...
It's going somewhere wonderful and terrifying, and I don't know whether to be disappointed or relieved by the distance between them and me.

And I believe you should be grateful for your inability to understand that particular point.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:59 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:@Kim and Kip
Pretty sure you'd rather not know.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:13 pm

Kattlarv wrote:@Nebu: (Ponies) That they could do yes (though, unicorns seems to have quite limited TK) but as said, unlike in most "other examples", they are actually dependant on EP's for survival. It's not like they're just "regular slaves" like in... about every other examples. So pissing off the EP would not technically be good. Ever heard the "Don't piss off the chef" expression?

Spoiler:

I am going to try using the "Awesome" Mod for TS3. If that doesn't work I believe there are other ways. Unless someone wouldn't mind moving out?

By the way about the pringles tube....

WHY!
There are things made for that you know

EDIT: Actually I found one that is a lot more....

Inappropriate.
Spoiler:

Yeah I selected the "Inappropriate" Trait because honestly... It was too fitting not to.
tylertoon2
tylertoon2
Hydra

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tylertoon2

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Warning: This post contains potential S3 spoilers.:
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 31 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21 ... 31  Next