Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+35
Somber
hawkeye92
Tia
Necr0maNceR
nebulous
Randombuttons
Orm
Downloaded Skill
Scyto Harmony
Katarn
SilentCarto
tylertoon2
Kattlarv
Stringtheory
Ametros
Icy Shake
Kippershy
FeatherDust
Meleagridis
OneMoreDaySK
Admiral Stoic Rum
O. Hinds
CamoBadger
Caoimhe
iLateralGX
Vergil
IncoherentOrange
Sindri
Valikdu
Ketchup
Cptadder
Ironmonger
WavemasterRyx
RoboRed
39 posters

Page 9 of 32 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 9 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Kippershy Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:32 am

Ironmonger wrote:
Valikdu wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:I didn't know that EQD could be such idiots.

I'll tell you more: they've also rejected A Foul Light Shines because... Just because. They hadn't even bothered to give the author an explanation. Because "There's three WH crossovers already, durr" isn't an explanation, it's bullshit - especially with the exceptional quality of AFLS taken into account.
According to EQD, FoE:Heroes got it's own post because it got past 150K/175K words or something like that. What about the other related fics that are past that? Where's their post? [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 9 920138312

Murky is currently at what, 500k?
Hell, even my own fic is at 154k (including unreleased stuff. released stuff places it at 148k)

EQD is shitty.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 9 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Ironmonger Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:38 am

In earlier Ironmonger news, my best friend told me there was a guy lurking around his house. He got his Ithaca loaded and sat in the living room at Condition 3 until the police arrived. Now I'm trying to get my folks to let me buy a 20 gauge shotgun and some non-lethal or less lethal rounds.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:43 am

swicked wrote:FYI, I'm going to be keeping this open in my browser all day: http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun

Right now they are just playing various fighting games, but eventually there's gonna be a fighting is magic tournament <3
That was yesterday, one kid (Not a dev) stomped everyone using Applejack and Twilight for the hour I was watching.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:11 am

FUCK ME.

One guy just PWNED the other in a perfect run.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:43 am

Sindri wrote:
stringtheory wrote:just found this:
[snop]
I CAN"T STOP CRYING
...I don't get it. How is this related to ponies? In the original context that song was was a hamhanded but mostly legitimate sentiment regarding the trials of a group of real people and the hypocrisy of those opposing them. It is completely inappropriate to a pony living in an inclusive utopian society like that shown in the cartoon (if it were a zebra singing then maybe, but still far from the meaningfulness of the original). Thus this provoked no emotional response in me aside from mild confusion and a touch of annoyance.
Um...
Did you watch to the part where they're all... Members of a hated class, shall we say?
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:54 am

People hear happy sounding or sad sounding song, think it's appropriate and add ponies to it. Basically: stupidity. I know people who declare this as their favourite song because "it's happy and reminds me of dreams I had as a kid."
Spoiler:
My favourite type of songs are happy tunes about sad things (WHICH IS WHY I LOVE MORRISSEY) but clueless people piss me off.

Reminds me of years ago when I was in high school and we had this assignment to find modern religious-oriented pop songs (I went to Catholic school for 12 years). There were people bringing any old song that had references to "God" and someone even brought in the theme to The Heights because it had ANGELS in it. Cripes.

Re: Minecraft: All I know about this is a bizarre dichotomy of seeing a display of swag related to it at a record store with two ~6 year olds going nuts over it, and a fandom of some really reallllly creepy people online obsessed over it and something with the author saying horribly racist stuff on twitter, so I don't know wtf it's about.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Caoimhe wrote:People hear happy sounding or sad sounding song, think it's appropriate and add ponies to it. Basically: stupidity. I know people who declare this as their favourite song because "it's happy and reminds me of dreams I had as a kid."
Spoiler:
My favourite type of songs are happy tunes about sad things (WHICH IS WHY I LOVE MORRISSEY) but clueless people piss me off.

Reminds me of years ago when I was in high school and we had this assignment to find modern religious-oriented pop songs (I went to Catholic school for 12 years). There were people bringing any old song that had references to "God" and someone even brought in the theme to The Heights because it had ANGELS in it. Cripes.

Re: Minecraft: All I know about this is a bizarre dichotomy of seeing a display of swag related to it at a record store with two ~6 year olds going nuts over it, and a fandom of some really reallllly creepy people online obsessed over it and something with the author saying horribly racist stuff on twitter, so I don't know wtf it's about.

Listen carefully.
*Carefully*

He even says it himself in the song, most people don't even want to hear the message, they just want to shake it.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Oh totally, I know Dre was kinda pissed about that at the time.

Same with Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks which I think is still a great tune but people are willing to ignore everything, despite its message being so blatant. There's also like 4 different radio edits of it because of backlash.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:08 pm

FeatherDust wrote:
Sindri wrote:
[snop]
I CAN"T STOP CRYING
...I don't get it. How is this related to ponies? In the original context that song was was a hamhanded but mostly legitimate sentiment regarding the trials of a group of real people and the hypocrisy of those opposing them. It is completely inappropriate to a pony living in an inclusive utopian society like that shown in the cartoon (if it were a zebra singing then maybe, but still far from the meaningfulness of the original). Thus this provoked no emotional response in me aside from mild confusion and a touch of annoyance.
Um...
Did you watch to the part where they're all... Members of a hated class, shall we say?

Okay, look. It's not in any way a legitimate comparison, and while on the most superficial possible level one might see some similarity between the groups, it doesn't survive a maximum of, say, ninety seconds of scrutiny. If anything it's trying to sap the sentiment from the original in order to feed investment in itself, without supplying anything appropriately emotional itself.

The art is okay, but not all "outcasts" are of the same nature, nor do they all deserve the same response.

Sorry if this comes off as an overly strong response, but I'm in strong agreement with Sindri that it's pretty much entirely unrelated to anything we have seen in FiM, nice artwork aside.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:27 pm

I CAN"T STOP CRYING
Spoiler:

This one.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Caoimhe wrote:

I think your viewpoint is a tad muddled. Notch hasn't said anything really controversial to my knowledge, and even if he did, he created a mean game and tends to compete with brony groups (i.e. Humble Brony Bundle) single-handedly in fundraiser events, which means he donates a lot. The closest thing I know for sure he's said to something anyone might consider racist is a post about how the player character is asexual and reproduces as such, no exceptions, and that's hardly something to throw a fit about. I Google'd this racism incident, and considering what his posts usually contain, I believe that it never actually was on his Twitter page, and is photoshop. Could not be, though. It could be a joke. He could've been drunk. He could actually be racist. Regardless, that doesn't make his game (and his associate's game, who's been in charge of development for most of this year) bad. It's a little bit like using Godwin's Law. (Hitler (Notch, the racist scumbag) made it, thus it's bad.)

A fandom of really creepy people? Definitely less creepy than us. Try out the demo.

@A Foul Light Shines The first fanfic I ever read. Better than that stupid Friendquisition one, by far. I read like, two chapters of that and was extremely bored. It definitely belongs there, unlike the latter.

Last edited by IncoherentOrange on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:47 pm

swicked wrote:...child rape and suicide are nowhere near the themes of that song, though. They aren't even touched on.

There's a bit about "show them the mercy they don't find on earth", but that's not about suicide, it's about the holocaust of her people that's going on at the hands of Frollo and his men.
The one Cao linked is the one about rape and suicide. That one is apparently about outcasts or something.

A popular song that had a fairly upbeat tune was about a school shooting, so if a song's beat or other aspects are, say, catchy, people can ignore what the song is about.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:53 pm

swicked wrote:...child rape and suicide are nowhere near the themes of that song, though. They aren't even touched on.

There's a bit about "show them the mercy they don't find on earth", but that's not about suicide, it's about the holocaust of her people that's going on at the hands of Frollo and his men.

I think the connection is inappropriate responses to a song, based on tone rather than content. So, for instance, ponifying any song that seems happy--or here, sad--even if the story the song tells doesn't make sense in an Equestrian context. That moved on to how people ignore what's actually going on in songs or inappropriately associate them with other things more generally as with:
religion / the theme to The Heights;
missing the message/content of Outkast's Hey Ya! and Pumped Up Kicks' Foster the People.
So perhaps I was answering the wrong question originally.

Last edited by Icy Shake on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : context ~= content)
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Off topic, just found this.
Fly Far, Fly Fast.
A non-FO:E crossover of ponies and Fallout. Involving ED-E.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:19 pm

IncoherentOrange wrote:@A Foul Light Shines The first fanfic I ever read. Better than that stupid Friendquisition one, by far. I read like, two chapters of that and was extremely bored. It definitely belongs there, unlike the latter.
I wouldn't call Friendquisition bad, it's a not half bad attempt to mix aspects of the 40k verse with the light-heartedness of MLP, and it does so rather well, but I do have to agree with you, it's not that interesting to read, if I wanted ponyhammer 40k I'd rather have it be more 40k-ish and less MLP, I remember there was a series of threads over on spacebattles.com where they were trying to convert 40k to have ponies, it got relatively far, but eventually fell apart due to arguements over who should be the orks expo (IIRC it was split between humans and hogz, with ponies being the imperium), have a link to the orginal thread: [link]
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:26 pm

Okay, yeah, I didn't really read enough of that to get a real valid judgement, and my own 40K fic is so atrociously half-assed (as in, a lot of things that don't make sense are so just so I could make it work as I wanted it to) that it's laughable, so I'm not one to talk. AFLS was real nice, though.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:54 pm

I think the "plot" of the game Bulletstorm would make a decent FoE fic. That game had a lot of personality that could translate well.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:04 pm

swicked wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:
swicked wrote:What song are we talking about, here?
This one.
...child rape and suicide are nowhere near the themes of that song, though. They aren't even touched on.

No, no, no. The word "this" in Cao's post was a link to "All Good Girls" by Die Warzau.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:19 pm

Oh yeah that guy's right. I guess. I'm brunch drunk so I can't tell who is confused about what
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:32 pm

FiW: The Convention.
It's... honest :D
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:33 pm

I've been thinking over the last few days about writing a Borderponies fic.

but then, I don't have the time with Broken Bonds.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Put the music on, then open...:
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Valikdu wrote:

Put the music on, then open...:

cosplaying as your character, well that brings a whole new meaning to the term As Yourself, plus did she talk like Twilight for the entire time? because that would've been brilliant

EDIT: just found this comment over on derpibooru:
Yo dawg I herd you like Twilight Sparkle..

so we put Twilight Sparkle’s VA in Twilight Sparkle’s Cosplay while talking like Twilight Sparkle so you can see Twilight Sparkle’s Twilight sparkle cosplay while you hear Twilight Sparkle’s voice!
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:25 pm

swicked wrote:
FeatherDust wrote:
swicked wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:
swicked wrote:What song are we talking about, here?
This one.
...child rape and suicide are nowhere near the themes of that song, though. They aren't even touched on.

No, no, no. The word "this" in Cao's post was a link to "All Good Girls" by Die Warzau.
Ah. Yeah, I couldn't see the link.

Right. As I said, I think I was answering the wrong question; I was saying that the conversation was sparked by Children of Celestia. But it moved on from there to a more general discussion about people not getting things.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Our disscussion never stay in one place for long.
OAN, the Minecraft server is running well, going to update it tomorrow but in the mean time it's off and running and already has about sixty hours into it by the various people who have logged on.

Next up, modding the server, and correct the slight hiccuping by upping it's priority in my routers network stack.
IP is in my signature
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:44 pm

Caoimhe wrote:Re: Minecraft: All I know about this is a bizarre dichotomy of seeing a display of swag related to it at a record store with two ~6 year olds going nuts over it, and a fandom of some really reallllly creepy people online obsessed over it and something with the author saying horribly racist stuff on twitter, so I don't know wtf it's about.
Wait, when did Notch say something objectionable? And even if he did, does that really counterbalance the many millions he's put into various charities?

I admit that I haven't examined the case in great detail, but pretty much everything I've heard about Notch has been overwhelmingly positive. As far as I can tell he's the polar opposite of everything wrong in the video game industry today. He made a fun, simple little game, and somehow managed to become absurdly rich off it when it became more popular than he ever imagined. So does he get greedy, lazy, and corrupt? No, he keeps improving his product for the sake of art, he donates vast quantities of the money he doesn't know what to do with to any charitable cause that crosses his path, he encourages people who aren't sure if they want to play to just pirate it now and pay him later if they feel like it, and he's probably done more than any other single person to oppose the broken old publishing company model and support independent artists. I'm sure his detractors are eager to latch onto anything they can, but a single post can't possibly counterbalance the good he's done.

Edit: okay, the only mention I can find of this was a single tweet in which he used the word 'niggers' sarcastically. Seriously guys? Go read Huckleberry Finn and come back.
...Aaand yes, it was photoshopped and he never actually used that word. There is literally nothing here.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:10 pm

@Racism A bit off topic but I believe in racism of action and racism of intention, not racism of word. I use "nigger" all the time as part of my jokes and goofing around. No one gets offended because it's funny, and around here no one gives a damn who says what. [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 9 995914302

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Ironmonger wrote:@Racism A bit off topic but I believe in racism of action and racism of intention, not racism of word. I use "nigger" all the time as part of my jokes and goofing around. No one gets offended because it's funny, and around here no one gives a damn who says what. [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 9 995914302
Exactly. Political correctness in speech patterns is idiotic. Any word is offensive when used in an offensive manner, and there is no collection of letters or syllables which is inherently evil. People need to stop pretending that they can say whatever shitty things they want as long as they use officially acceptable terminology, and they need to start actually looking at the content of an opponent's argument rather than latching onto their word choice.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:24 pm

Racist? Maybe not so, but certainly in poor taste considering the power of the word and the effect it has on people. I've only heard third hand what this Notch fellow may have said, but again, up until now that's all I've known of Minecraft.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:29 pm

This is a line I like to use a lot because everyone I know seems to love it. [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 9 2066584637

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 32 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20 ... 32  Next