Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+35
Somber
hawkeye92
Tia
Necr0maNceR
nebulous
Randombuttons
Orm
Downloaded Skill
Scyto Harmony
Katarn
SilentCarto
tylertoon2
Kattlarv
Stringtheory
Ametros
Icy Shake
Kippershy
FeatherDust
Meleagridis
OneMoreDaySK
Admiral Stoic Rum
O. Hinds
CamoBadger
Caoimhe
iLateralGX
Vergil
IncoherentOrange
Sindri
Valikdu
Ketchup
Cptadder
Ironmonger
WavemasterRyx
RoboRed
39 posters

Page 8 of 32 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 20 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by CamoBadger Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:36 am

Limited Edition glow in the dark Zecora toy is now at Toys r' Us? OH GOD MUST BUY
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Ironmonger Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:38 am

CamoBadger wrote:Limited Edition glow in the dark Zecora toy is now at Toys r' Us? OH GOD MUST BUY
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 8 Hnnnng

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:38 am

Minecraft was fun, server works, lots of stuff got built by Orange, Tyler and I. Then Orange left so Tyler and I beat up some sheep and dug to the center of the earth.

Turning the server off for the evening back on in the morning
Need to figure out that extra ram thing because my laptop has ram to burn.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:39 am

*realizes he has to pay rent, cell phone bill, utilities, buy gas, and just bought groceries this weekend...*
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! I HAVE NO MONEY!
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:43 am

CamoBadger wrote:*realizes he has to pay rent, cell phone bill, utilities, buy gas, and just bought groceries this weekend...*
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! I HAVE NO MONEY!
For extra income you could try a little "economic maneuvering" at a flea market. I have a brother who would buy a big box of cheap-made toys for $1, sell it for $20 to someone else. I actually a know a lot of people who do stuff like that and it seems to help.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:45 am

I could...
Or I can go downtown and sell myself on a street corner. That doesn't require nearly as much effort or haggling (I don't know how to haggle, I'm worse than Fluttershy)
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:00 am

CamoBadger wrote:I could...
Or I can go downtown and sell myself on a street corner. That doesn't require nearly as much effort or haggling (I don't know how to haggle, I'm worse than Fluttershy)

I'm just the opposite on that, my special talent is finding ways around limitations, rules, and guidelines. And getting away on technicalities. Spike
Aside from the flea market you could 'flip' guns.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:05 am

There's good money in that business. However...I'd rather avoid being owned by a man named Terry in the local prison.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:07 am

CamoBadger wrote:There's good money in that business. However...I'd rather avoid being owned by a man named Terry in the local prison.

I bet ya could take Terry. Big Bob is the one you gotta watch out for.

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:08 am

I've heard things about him...things that must never be repeated...
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:10 am

Watch out for that giant norwegian guy in the prison. I hear he eats people's souls.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:13 am

Wait, you guys have a Terraria Server?!
Been waiting forever to try and get on one.

Minecraft, eh, still haven't bought the game yet. Whenever it goes on sale.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:39 am

...Is anyone else now having the "https://nallar.me/fics/" redirect to Google?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:51 am

O. Hinds wrote:...Is anyone else now having the "https://nallar.me/fics/" redirect to Google?

The secure http connection raises a security flag in my browser, and the regular http is sent to what seems to be a Google-supplied 404 page.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:21 am

Icy Shake wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:...Is anyone else now having the "https://nallar.me/fics/" redirect to Google?

The secure http connection raises a security flag in my browser, and the regular http is sent to what seems to be a Google-supplied 404 page.
After looking at the security flag for a while, examining the certificate to try and figure out what the problem was, and doing a bit of anxious pondering, I eventually decided to take the chance (and I'm also on a Mac and still running anti-malware software just in case (and I cleared the browser's cookies and such after the operation)), but the address now just appears to go to Google. The problem certificate's Google-issued, too... I'm not sure what's going on. Does anyone here remember who it is that owns/operates that site?

Also, a thing:
Decimal 12 is 1100 in binary and 110 in trinary. The fact that the former is, treating both as decimal values, the product of the latter and decimal ten is not, as far as I know, a rule or anything; it appears to be just something that happens at decimal 12. But I'm rather tired at the moment.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:24 am

By the way, while I suspect that my residence hall internet connection would be problematic (I'm at home now, but I shan't be during the week), is the PH Minecraft server vanilla? We could do with a Tekkit one.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:37 am

O. Hinds wrote:By the way, while I suspect that my residence hall internet connection would be problematic (I'm at home now, but I shan't be during the week), is the PH Minecraft server vanilla? We could do with a Tekkit one.

I was thinking this myself. A Tekkit server would be much more interesting, enough to drag me back into MC.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:39 am

Tekkit would be pretty darn cool, I might join you guys when I get minecraft. First time I played I built a house upon a hovering platform just barely out of creeper blast range (the blast would take out the floor but nothing more) with only one way up, and a lumber orchard around the sides. My buddy The Grimm Thinker on FimFiction turned the house into a castle. Then nighttime became a creeper Jihad. How

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:48 am

Um.. What's a paladin Tekkit?
It's just that I'm used to playing with Industrial and Redpower.

And, um... I could only play on that theoretical server in case it was running overnight too, because of the time difference. :/

Also: EQD strikes again. They repeatedly rejected Rokas' [that guy who was writing Falling Stars, the BattleTech xover] new fic, and after the third time (where the prereader didn't even bother to read the fic and just wrote in response what the other two wrote) he got so pissed off that he quit fanfiction altogether.
Falling Stars and ASMD ain't getting finished.

Last edited by Valikdu on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:02 am; edited 3 times in total
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:58 am

Tekkit is a mod thing that combines LOTS of other mods into one package (and includes I.C)
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:01 am

Valikdu wrote:Um.. What's a paladin Tekkit?
It's just that I'm used to playing with Industrial and Redpower.

And, um... I could only play on that theoretical server in case it was running overnight too, because of the time difference. :/

Also: EQD strikes again. They repeatedly rejected Rokas' [that guy who was writing Falling Stars, the BattleTech xover] new fic, and after the third time (where the prereader didn't even bother to read the fic and just wrote in response what the other two wrote) he got so pissed off that he quit fanfiction altogether.
Falling Stars ain't getting finished.
I didn't know that EQD could be such idiots.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:06 am

Ironmonger wrote:I didn't know that EQD could be such idiots.

I'll tell you more: they've also rejected A Foul Light Shines because... Just because. They hadn't even bothered to give the author an explanation. Because "There's three WH crossovers already, durr" isn't an explanation, it's bullshit - especially with the exceptional quality of AFLS taken into account.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:11 am

Valikdu wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:I didn't know that EQD could be such idiots.

I'll tell you more: they've also rejected A Foul Light Shines because... Just because. They hadn't even bothered to give the author an explanation. Because "There's three WH crossovers already, durr" isn't an explanation, it's bullshit - especially with the exceptional quality of AFLS taken into account.
According to EQD, FoE:Heroes got it's own post because it got past 150K/175K words or something like that. What about the other related fics that are past that? Where's their post? How

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:27 am

O. Hinds wrote:By the way, while I suspect that my residence hall internet connection would be problematic (I'm at home now, but I shan't be during the week), is the PH Minecraft server vanilla? We could do with a Tekkit one.
I'm new to the Minecraft server hosting business, however the Minecraft server is up and running atm and is vanilla, I'll look into Tekkit later today.
Going to look into backup and getting a raid running.

Reminder
Minecraft Server
PH Comment Crew
Spoiler:

I'm the only admin listed atm because I'm still judging demand.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:01 am

Not to be "that guy," but I don't think it's really a fanfiction website. They make no claim to be such; they don't have to answer for it. And there's more than just quality that they take into account; there is a plethora of exceptionally high quality stories out there, and they don't post 'em all. It's not like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, where a band has to be popular and good (or, well, something) to get in; it's like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame if it wasn't even created to showcase bands in the first place. An author and their works have gotta be some combination of lucky, popular, talented, and novel. Probably some other bunch of things, too. That said, the fact that Rush hasn't been inducted is ridiculous. I don't even like Rush all that much, but they should be in.

Regarding Heroes, I expect it got its own post because enough people clamored for it to do so. That's how it usually works with FOE stories, if I'm not mistaken (checked the story page, and yeah, that's what it implies). It'll probably be until after PH or Heroes completes that another FOE story gets its own page, to avoid oversaturation.

Also, the number of people interested in WH40k crossovers is limited. I like WH40K and am not interested. So... yeah, it kinda is a legitimate thing to reject a story for, in my opinion anyway. If they feel that their reader base has been saturated with Warhammer stories at the moment, it's legitimate to say that they don't want to post another at the moment. If there was increased demand, maybe, like a burst of interest due to a Warhammer film being released or something, then more of the crossovers might get showcased. I'm not on the staff, though, so I can't be sure of their thought processes.

Perhaps a solution could be found in the form of a secondary "Best of the Rest" sort of feature, with a short list of link + tags + blurb stories stories that were rejected for some non-major reason but might still hold interest for avid fanfic readers. These would not get an "updated" page (it'd be assumed that readers could track updates on their own if they're using the list), but could still get onto the main page in the future. Authors would be asked if they'd like their work to appear there, if applicable, alongside the rejection note.

Just my two cents; I don't feel particularly passionate about this issue, so take from it what you will.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:24 am

Eh we know most of this but I'm just thinking that the pre-readers seem to do as they please. Most of the stories I see up on that site are uninteresting.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:40 am

Ironmonger wrote:I'm just thinking that the pre-readers seem to do as they please

When the third prereader just takes what both of the first two said, mashes it together and uses it as the pretense for rejection - after the author had already fixed all the issues (real or not) that the first two brought up... yeah.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:43 am

Cptadder wrote:
I'm new to the Minecraft server hosting business, however the Minecraft server is up and running atm and is vanilla, I'll look into Tekkit later today.
Going to look into backup and getting a raid running.

Reminder
Minecraft Server
PH Comment Crew
Spoiler:

I'm the only admin listed atm because I'm still judging demand.

Will do my best to get on there today; lots of garbage I have to take care of first.
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:59 am

Flim and Flam never lied. Not once.
Con != liar. Many of the best conmen never tell a lie because it makes them that much harder to catch or refute, and many of the most honest people I know rarely make a statement which is entirely truthful.

They pressured the Apples into a frankly absurd agreement, and then held them to terms which were not those stated. (Sole right to sales in the community suddenly became surrender of all property and exile for no reason). The fact that their words were technically truthful does not make them in any way honest, none in their right mind would accept any of the "offers" they made, and after the deal was struck any legitimate authority would have held everyone to the exact terms at worst, rather than bending over to their latest whims.

stringtheory wrote:just found this:
[snop]
I CAN"T STOP CRYING
...I don't get it. How is this related to ponies? In the original context that song was was a hamhanded but mostly legitimate sentiment regarding the trials of a group of real people and the hypocrisy of those opposing them. It is completely inappropriate to a pony living in an inclusive utopian society like that shown in the cartoon (if it were a zebra singing then maybe, but still far from the meaningfulness of the original). Thus this provoked no emotional response in me aside from mild confusion and a touch of annoyance.

Re: Apples and economics
Equestrian society is set up such that pretty much everyone has pretty much everything they need to live comfortably. So while the Apples could (given weather control and earth pony magics) produce apples much more cheaply by unit than human farmers, and they have little in the way of competition, I figure their prices would likely be fixed low enough that they would stay stable instead of making a profit, making things cheaper for everyone else down the line. The zap apple jam and the cider would be their big profit sources because they can fall outside the limitations set on staple foods.

Kippershy wrote:OH GOD HOLY FUCK LOOK AT THIS
http://eqsoftworks.com/
I doubt it will go much of anywhere; making a Fo:E game isn't a simple replacement mod that can be slapped together in a month, it's the creation and population of an entirely new game world. The kind of thing that extensively trained, highly paid professionals spend years of full-time work on. The kind of thing that previous fandoms and modding communities have attempted and failed on multiple occasions all throughout the history of major video games. Either work will continue for a few years and then peter off, or something will be released that disappoints anyone who bought into the hype.

Not getting caught up in this. Nope. Not gonna happen.
Spoiler:

FeatherDust wrote:
Meleagridis wrote:Sure is! Thanks, Captain Punctilious! (And also for defending the english language earlier.)
Um.. wow. Worst superhero name EVER. You're... welcome?
I've always been a fan of Collateral Damage Man. Pinkie Pie

Admiral Stoic Rum wrote:

Duly noted.

Ironmonger wrote:Eh we know most of this but I'm just thinking that the pre-readers seem to do as they please. Most of the stories I see up on that site are uninteresting.
When they post short, casual, lighthearted comedy/slice of life pieces, or more generic 'Luna being adorable' fluff, nobody complains. When they put up serious, long-term, thought provoking grimdarkery some people love it and others hate it. making their job harder. And given the sheer volume of submissions and the fairly small staff of (mostly volunteer) prereaders, there isn't really a chance for any of the decisions to be reviewed.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:01 am

Vergil wrote:
Will do my best to get on there today; lots of garbage I have to take care of first.
Hopping on the "post debatably related videos" bandwagon...
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 32 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 20 ... 32  Next