Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 6 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Overlong Analysis Cobalt on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:51 am

Derpmind wrote:GAAARGH INTERNET EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Oooooh damn I've made a horrible mistake in my 2/3 asleep mindset.
So the One Man's Pony Ramblings blog got around to doing a review of Fallout: Equestria (If you're reading this RIGHT NOW, please resist the temptation to read that review a bit PLEASE.) As it's a very popular site, I felt obligated in my duty to Project Horizons to give it a recommendation in the comments. Unfortunately, I'm 2/3 asleep, so I made a huge rambling and very, very bad recommendation. If I wasn't so out-of-it, I would have asked one of you not-so-sleepy people to write something quickly before everyone and their mother reads the review and comments and doesn't get that very-important for karmar or justice or something to READ PROJECT HORIZONS. So I need NEED y'all to tell me QUICKLY whether I should keep the crappy recommendation I have up or delete it and let one of you write something else. PLEASE HELP PLEASE I'm sticking my neck out just making such a completely positive recommendation on such a critical site, but I can't tell if my bad writing is painting a huge target on my ass or not BECAUSE I"M NOT FULLY AWAKE AND FIGHTING SLEEP.

Oops? (F***)
Maybe I'm just sleepy myself, but it didn't seem like so awful a recommendation to me.
Overlong Analysis Cobalt
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 230

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:55 am

Quotidian wrote:Welp, now you have to picture me as some kind of horrible goddamn mash-up of MCP and AM. Because of reasons.

On a completely unrelated note, I had to talk a half-dozen of my drunk friends from dragging me to a strip club tonight. When I'm the sober, rational one of the group, you know something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Oh, and there's a new FiaB album out. And Living Tombstone has a remix on it. If you need me, I'll be in a jumpstyle coma.
I just pictured you as a radio-alarm clock with fingers sticking out of it that grabs you when you try to turn the alarm off... I think I need more sleep...
(I have no idea what MCP and AM stand for, sorry...)

Yay for being the rational one of the group! I had a few moments like that with my old D&D group... It's always deeply disturbing isn't it...

Enjoy your music, sir.

I thought your comment was fine, Derp, though one typo/error in it, which I don't know if you can edit.
"If you only read one spinoff of FoE, then don't read Project Horizons because it is a huge step above all of the others."
But yeah, otherwise I thought it was fine, though I could be missing cause I'm fairly sleep deprived myself right now...
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:11 am

Ok. Thank you. I'm calmed down now, rationality is restored, and I'm just gonna sleep now.
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:42 am

I thought one Pony tended to stay away from uncompleted fics or is that a rule I invented in my head?

OAN

WavemasterRyx wrote:

Cptadder wrote:Ten minutes of searching have lead me to the startling conclusion that no one has thought to do a Pony version of Robert E Lee, William Tecumseh Sherman or Ulysses S. Grant, Nathan Bedford Forrest, or George B. McClellan to foster on O.Hinds as his new avatar.

Really any civil war era General will do as everyone was going as a Gentleman doing those days.
I'll see what I can do.
Fluttershy
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:01 am

Story related questions

1. What was the proper title for Pinkie, Twilight and the rest as the Ministry Mares? Was Pinkie's title Director... Minster or something else? Reading the review of FoE got me thinking of Somber or Kkhat had ever hung a proper name on them.

2. Do we know what if any style of military ranks the pones use among themselves and what rank if any did Rainbow Dash have? I'd peg her as a General myself given her front and center nature with the war effort and length of service and pull.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:21 am

Cptadder wrote:1. What was the proper title for Pinkie, Twilight and the rest as the Ministry Mares? Was Pinkie's title Director... Minster or something else? Reading the review of FoE got me thinking of Somber or Kkhat had ever hung a proper name on them.
I imagine the position would be called "Minister of Peace" (Morale, Awesome, etc.), and you would address them as "Minister Fluttershy" (Pie, Dash, etc.) if you were being formal.

Cptadder wrote:2. Do we know what if any style of military ranks the pones use among themselves and what rank if any did Rainbow Dash have? I'd peg her as a General myself given her front and center nature with the war effort and length of service and pull.
They use US Army ranks. Mac was a Sergeant, and they talked about The Lieutenant getting shot. I don't know if Dash had a rank, though. I mean, we know she joined the Skyguard after the Wonderbolt raid on the pirates, so she must have had a rank at that point, but the Shadowbolts were a MAw unit. I expect they were attached to the Skyguard but not part of it, and probably didn't hold traditional ranks. I think the Shadowbolts would be far more informal than normal military. The organization was small enough that they were probably all on first-name basis anyway, with ranks given only descriptively (Wingman, Wing Leader, Wing Commander), and I imagine Dash would style herself as Commander Air Group or something like that.
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattlarv on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:09 am

@Everypony: (Wiki) Gotta, say, I rely on wiki quite a bit. But google manages to help me out at times too hehe.

(Colours) Aren't technically a colour a lack of just that "colour"? As everything but that is being reflected, or something.

@Wave: (Hey, you did a "comment like me" thing :P)
And thanks. Will do some stuff and hope I soon find inspiration to work on it.
Also, once I apply some more duct tape on the suit story, mind if I ste- borrow your picture as a thumbnail for it?

@Derp: I honestly didn't really understand what you went on about
Kattlarv
Hydra

Brohoof! : 26

Character List:
Name: Dewflower
Sex: Female-ish
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:10 am

Cptadder wrote:Story related questions

1. What was the proper title for Pinkie, Twilight and the rest as the Ministry Mares? Was Pinkie's title Director... Minster or something else? Reading the review of FoE got me thinking of Somber or Kkhat had ever hung a proper name on them.
Ministry Mare.

If you wake up today and find it lacking, by all means kill and replace. Might as well have your best out there. But I personally can't see anything wrong with it.
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Erumpet on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:40 pm

@Cptadder
1) Ministry mare was their title, but we have only seen them addressed by name to the best of my knowledge.
2) The equestrian army appeared to use standard united states military ranking. Rainbow Dash was most likely not actually in the army, as she ran an organization similar to the CIA or SIS.

I have a question of my own. Is the military of equestria only ever referred to as the army? Do they have a navy branch and an air force branch?
Erumpet
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 34

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:49 pm

Erumpet wrote:@Cptadder
1) Ministry mare was their title, but we have only seen them addressed by name to the best of my knowledge.
2) The equestrian army appeared to use standard united states military ranking. Rainbow Dash was most likely not actually in the army, as she ran an organization similar to the CIA or SIS.

I have a question of my own. Is the military of equestria only ever referred to as the army? Do they have a navy branch and an air force branch?
They had to have a navy. Celestia 1 was a huge battleship.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:54 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
I imagine the position would be called "Minister of Peace" (Morale, Awesome, etc.), and you would address them as "Minister Fluttershy" (Pie, Dash, etc.) if you were being formal.
See this is what I would think as well in my own head, it's just the pones not being nobility or formal for most of their lives would insist on ponies not using their titles except for perhaps Rarity and Twilight

Meleagridis wrote:
Cptadder wrote:Story related questions

Ministry Mare.
What about Goldenblood then Horse heads of OIA?

Meleagridis wrote:
Cptadder wrote:2. Do we know what if any style of military ranks the pones use among themselves and what rank if any did Rainbow Dash have? I'd peg her as a General myself given her front and center nature with the war effort and length of service and pull.
They use US Army ranks. Mac was a Sergeant, and they talked about The Lieutenant getting shot. I don't know if Dash had a rank, though. I mean, we know she joined the Skyguard after the Wonderbolt raid on the pirates, so she must have had a rank at that point, but the Shadowbolts were a MAw unit. I expect they were attached to the Skyguard but not part of it, and probably didn't hold traditional ranks. I think the Shadowbolts would be far more informal than normal military. The organization was small enough that they were probably all on first-name basis anyway, with ranks given only descriptively (Wingman, Wing Leader, Wing Commander), and I imagine Dash would style herself as Commander Air Group or something like that.
I agree with you and disagree with you. I agree with you that Army ranks make sense given the Sergeant thing and the Lt getting zapped. But if dash was leading a unit she would have had a rank, be it a brevet rank or an equivalency rank IE like the political rank of a Soviet Commissar who held a rank equal to the high head of the unit to which he was assigned (So an Regiments Commissar would be a Colonel equivalent).

Further Dash had two jobs not just as the elite head of the Shadowbolts but also as the Ministry Mare for the Department of Awesome which was itself a front for Black Ops activities, from memory orbs in FoE we directly see Dash being involved in the planning of ops which implies a pretty senior position. Further commander is a Navy rank in nearly all armed forces but we have a canon show example of a Commander (Commander Hot Head from the play in season 2) but we also have Colonels like Calamity's brother so I have to wonder if Commander might be a special Pegasus only rank for the heads of wings of Pegasuses so they are not confused with Unicorn and Earth Pony Colonels which would make Dash an O-5 when I would have pegged her higher in the area of General considering her length of service, her patron (Luna herself) and her war record. But then she might be in a Big Mac position where taking promotions means giving up leading the Shadowbolts.

Erumpet wrote:@Cptadder

First off only in the past hundred years have a few nations accepted the insanity of the air force (Let alone the marines on top) when all you need is an Army (Of which part of the airforce belongs) and the Navy (Of which the rest of your airforce belongs). Second as already covered yes they had Battleships, if they have Battleships they must have had Destroyers, if they had Destroyers they needed patrol boats, refueling ships and barges.

Now that's a question, the Celestia and the Luna were alongside the pier when they got Pearl Harbored, where was the rest of the fleet when the megaspells went up? I'd assume in the two hundred years they would have been used up and sunk or run aground for Rivet City style housing. The Sea is not kind to human ships or pony ships and even steel ships will fall apart fast without constant maintenance and cleaning in less than twenty years let alone two hundred.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Cptadder wrote:
Meleagridis wrote:Ministry Mare.
What about Goldenblood then Horse heads of OIA?
Director.
(Actually I might need to doublecheck. I'm certain about Ministry Mare but I just remember Goldenblood being referred to as Director)
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:15 pm

Meleagridis wrote:
Director.
(Actually I might need to doublecheck. I'm certain about Ministry Mare but I just remember Goldenblood being referred to as Director)
Hmm acutally I believe double checking myself that OIA was not a full ministry and several times we hear Director Goldenblood so that makes sense. But if the full title is Ministry Mare Applejack, what happens when Braeburn takes over (If he did) Minstry Stallion Braeburn?
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafafidi on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:53 pm

[pedantic]
Chapter 17:
"The rotting structure leaned precariously out over the alley where it slouched against the burned-out shell of its neighbor. The colorful pink paint had decayed into a fleshy grayish tone, the white trim darkened and peeling with the constant moisture. The roof had warped in the rain till it resembled mummified leather. A tower once resembling stacked cupcakes now creaked as it leaned over to the side like a vengeful fist."
Blackjack haven't met a gryphon or hellhound yet, so I think she wouldn't use this word to describe the tower.
I know it's silly, but it slapped me out of my immersion.
[/pedantic]
Rafafidi
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 4

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:08 pm

swicked wrote:
Do they have a navy branch and an air force branch?
The Skyguard is their Air Force, but it's more like the army than anything like our Air Force (which is extremely limited due to the need for fuel and landing space, which pegasi and cloud fortresses don't require).

My head-canon is that Pipsqueak's ultimate fate is linked to the Navy -- that he was a low-ranked officer (Ensign or JG) on a cruiser in a battlegroup that was on patrol when the bombs fell. They sailed back to equestria when all the radios went silent and couldn't even approach the shore, so the whole group, with failing fuel reserves and no hope of resupply, set course for a cluster of habitable islands as far from the poisoned lands as they could get. Once there, they disassembled their ships for materials and built what they could. 200 years later, their descendants are tribal islanders with some funny stories about their background (essentially the tribe from Fallout 2). I like to think there's a secret cabal of Engineers, the descendants of the original ship's engineers, who maintain a few modern weapons systems to protect the tribe, should they ever come under attack. Perhaps once every 70 or 80 years, when things get dire, they bring the one working spark generator online, and green fire rains from the top of the holy mountain (where the gun is hidden) to strike down the enemies of the tribe. As far the rest of them are concerned, they're under the protection of the Spirits.

I'd love to write that story sometime, but I'm not much of a writer.
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:44 pm

FeatherDust wrote:
swicked wrote:
Do they have a navy branch and an air force branch?
The Skyguard is their Air Force, but it's more like the army than anything like our Air Force (which is extremely limited due to the need for fuel and landing space, which pegasi and cloud fortresses don't require).

My head-canon is that Pipsqueak's ultimate fate is linked to the Navy -- that he was a low-ranked officer (Ensign or JG) on a cruiser in a battlegroup that was on patrol when the bombs fell. They sailed back to equestria when all the radios went silent and couldn't even approach the shore, so the whole group, with failing fuel reserves and no hope of resupply, set course for a cluster of habitable islands as far from the poisoned lands as they could get. Once there, they disassembled their ships for materials and built what they could. 200 years later, their descendants are tribal islanders with some funny stories about their background (essentially the tribe from Fallout 2). I like to think there's a secret cabal of Engineers, the descendants of the original ship's engineers, who maintain a few modern weapons systems to protect the tribe, should they ever come under attack. Perhaps once every 70 or 80 years, when things get dire, they bring the one working spark generator online, and green fire rains from the top of the holy mountain (where the gun is hidden) to strike down the enemies of the tribe. As far the rest of them are concerned, they're under the protection of the Spirits.

I'd love to write that story sometime, but I'm not much of a writer.

If somber never takes up the fate/details of Pipsqueak, I'll do it along with Shining Armour and Cadence.
I'm sure I could find a way of working it in somehow.
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Well Pipsqueak was what, six years old at the time of Luna's first nightmare night? There is a unknown amount of time between Season 1 and Season 2 and the seventeen years of the Great War. Given the show itself my head cannon is that there is five years between Pipsqueaks first appearance and the start of the war (Based on the expected six seasons of FiM).

Which means at the start of the great war Pipsqueak would be eleven years old. I'm not sure how pony ages work and if they are similar to human ages but for sure Pipsqueak would be twenty by the time of the Littlehorn massacre.

Which means Pipsqueak could spend between seven years to eleven years in the Navy. That's to short to be a Captain of his own ship unless it was a patrol boat but plenty of time to be a XO of a ship. Again that's without patronage getting him advancements. Your not making Captain without at least ten years even if you are sleeping with you favorite princess. Spike
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Kippershy wrote:If somber never takes up the fate/details of Pipsqueak, I'll do it along with Shining Armour and Cadence.
I would headcanon that Cadence and Shining Armor were helping maintain the Canterlot shield and went the way of Luna.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:56 pm

Happy Fourth of July everyone, I hope you all have a good one!

------------------
My stories: Cold as Ice   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains FiMFic Page   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains Hub Page
Thanks if you read any of them.

If you have a complaint of any kind, a question or a suggestion, please PM me about it and I will respond as quickly as I can.  

Last wrote:((Camo just likes to kill happiness.))

Well spank my flank and call me sexy!

Until next time, hugs and kisses.

~Miguel
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:00 pm

swicked wrote:
Kippershy wrote:If somber never takes up the fate/details of Pipsqueak, I'll do it along with Shining Armour and Cadence.
I would headcanon that Cadence and Shining Armor were helping maintain the Canterlot shield and went the way of Luna.

well, you're wrong.
you know what happened? Romeo and Juliet, but instead of fighting parents its a real war being fought that takes S.A away.
He falls in battle while leading the Canterlot Royal Guard in the defence of Celestia pre-Luna years.
Without her love, Princess Cadence lobbies for the war to end, but it doesn't.
Instead she gets told she should be helping to win, not to stand down, and that she's weak for not seeking revenge over her late husband.

Grief and depression gets the best of her, she kills herself in an act of heartache and defiance over the war.
Yet another reason why Celestia stood down in turn of Luna.
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:05 pm

Kippershy wrote:
swicked wrote:

well, you're wrong.
you know what happened? Romeo and Juliet, but instead of fighting parents its a real war being fought that takes S.A away.
He falls in battle while leading the Canterlot Royal Guard in the defence of Celestia pre-Luna years.
Instead she gets told she should be helping to win, not to stand down, and that she's weak for not seeking revenge over her late husband.

Grief and depression gets the best of her, she kills herself in an act of heartache and defiance over the war.
...that doesn't strike me as Romeo and Juliet at all. Other than that they love each other. Cadence isn't even 14 o_o

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:11 pm

I feel I need to expand on advancement a touch in one of those informative posts that interest about three people.

Navy and Advancement
The United States Navy has a proud tradition, ruthlessly stolen from Great Britain which itself has a proud tradition swiped from the Dutch. Things like three years on the same ship in the same job are not accidents but expectations that it takes six months in peacetime to really master your position and at least two years to really rate your performance. As an officer in the Navy or any Navy you'll be spending two to four years of schooling learning how to do whatever job it is you hold as a proud Ensign. As a fresh Butter bar you will be assigned a senior NCO who while you technically outrank will be your momma or daddy once you get out of school and become a Lieutenant and are trusted to chew your own food without help. After you make Lt you'll be given real life command of things and can from then on instantly screw up your career at any moment because YOU ARE IN COMMAND, it might just be of a deck crew but some Lt's get put in charge of the entire ship or an instillation because in the military we tend to be twenty four hours a day seven days a week and someone needs to be in charge of the big expensive things on Holidays, at two in the morning and other times.

Which means if you say run your ship aground, or your building is blown up your in charge of because your guards were asleep instead of patrolling then kiss your career goodbye. You are constantly being watched, weighed and measured while your a Lt by your own people to see if they can get around your rules that make things less fun, by your superiors to see if your ready to advance. If your a beneficiary of a patronage system you'll be give special consideration like being put in charge of something that will make you a full Lieutenant after only one tour instead of two. Or giving you an especially good Captain, or a nice safe impossible to screw up assignment.

Keep in mind in peace time (Which for the Navy it's been peace time since Vietnam) there are only so many officer slots so while one could make Captain in fourteen years in 1944, in 2012 that's twenty years and assumes your dad is an Admiral and your mom is the President. Twenty two years is standard these days.

So typically each rank 0-1 to 0-2 to 0-3 and so on represents a tour of three years and change and that assumes you get promoted first time every time as a Line Officer.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:13 pm

swicked wrote:
Kippershy wrote:
swicked wrote:

well, you're wrong.

...that doesn't strike me as Romeo and Juliet at all. Other than that they love each other. Cadence isn't even 14 o_o

You're right. I was more thinking of tragedy in general.

Still, they get pulled apart because the war, their duties to the country demanding their full service.
and all the rest.

You can't tell me it doesn't sound a little bit more canon to the original story, a little more epic, and even gives Twilight that little bit more reason to give it her absolute everything.
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Kippershy wrote:You can't tell me it doesn't sound a little bit more canon to the original story, a little more epic, and even gives Twilight that little bit more reason to give it her absolute everything.
The loss of Big Mac changed the face of war as Applejack created the entire division of steel rangers and a vicious hatred of stronger bullets.
In order to write in the loss of Twilight's BBBFF I would think her actions would need to be attributed to a similarly dramatic change in focus. Maybe even a greater overall project between Twilight and Applejack for the sake of protecting those they care about.
I hardly think it would just make her try harder.

I would actually sort of prefer, assuming Cadence survived him, if she was the only princess to of ever gotten back to Stable 1, considering the CMC intended to trap the princesses in there along with all the nobles. I don't know what her fate would be past that, but I would hope for something horrific. I rather dislike her.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Rafafidi wrote:[pedantic]
Chapter 17:
"The rotting structure leaned precariously out over the alley where it slouched against the burned-out shell of its neighbor. The colorful pink paint had decayed into a fleshy grayish tone, the white trim darkened and peeling with the constant moisture. The roof had warped in the rain till it resembled mummified leather. A tower once resembling stacked cupcakes now creaked as it leaned over to the side like a vengeful fist."
Blackjack haven't met a gryphon or hellhound yet, so I think she wouldn't use this word to describe the tower.
I know it's silly, but it slapped me out of my immersion.
[/pedantic]
There is now a change pending approval; thank you for bringing this to our attention.

re Cadence et al:
My current idea, if I must consider Cadence, Shining Armor, the changelings, or really anything from the wedding episode is that the wedding episode takes place in an alternate timeline caused by C, SA, and the changelings being sent back in time from the near future of the Equestrian Wasteland as a plot by a group of alicorns and ghouls using a preapocalypse temporal research lab to prevent the war. Cadence would try and make peace, Shining Armor would, if Cadence failed, use military knowledge gained from twenty years of war to end the war quickly instead of letting things escalate, and the changelings would form a shadow government controlling both states, the idea being that, since they feed on love, it would be in their best interests to keep peace. The idea still has a lot of holes in it, but it's the best that I've been able to come up with so far.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:49 pm

O. Hinds wrote: The idea still has a lot of holes in it.

Not sure if pun was intended or not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:50 pm

Cptadder wrote:Well Pipsqueak was what, six years old at the time of Luna's first nightmare night? There is a unknown amount of time between Season 1 and Season 2 and the seventeen years of the Great War. Given the show itself my head cannon is that there is five years between Pipsqueaks first appearance and the start of the war (Based on the expected six seasons of FiM).

Which means at the start of the great war Pipsqueak would be eleven years old. I'm not sure how pony ages work and if they are similar to human ages but for sure Pipsqueak would be twenty by the time of the Littlehorn massacre.

Which means Pipsqueak could spend between seven years to eleven years in the Navy. That's to short to be a Captain of his own ship unless it was a patrol boat but plenty of time to be a XO of a ship. Again that's without patronage getting him advancements. Your not making Captain without at least ten years even if you are sleeping with you favorite princess. Spike
I think there's a bit more time between the show and the start of the war. The Ministry Mares were all starting to wrinkle and grey by the end; Pinkie's mane looked like a candy cane. Given that they're ~20ish in the show, and the war raged for 20 years, I'd guess at least a decade between season 2 and the beginning.

And you're thinking of peacetime promotions, when you become captain because of long and honorable service. During total war, with casualty numbers like we saw in the other services, I think the most common way to become Captain is to have everybody above you dead and demonstrate the ability to command. Age doesn't matter much if they know what they're doing better than the rest of the ship, and even by your estimate of 11 at the start of the twenty-year war his thirteen years of combat experience would make him very good at it.

Cptadder wrote:
Again, you're assuming the promotions are all matters of career advancement and pretty much everybody survives their tour of duty. In the great pony-zebra war there would be people dying around you every day. You'd have those same earth pony construction teams that built a town in a week assembling warships around the clock, and the griffons, dragons, and warbots destroying them just as fast. Command would not be a case of "this is your ship for the next three years," it would be a case of "This is your captain for the mission, this is his second for when the captain get his neck snapped by a zebra infiltrator, this is the third for when the lieutenant is torn apart by a griffon, and you better pray to Celestia that one of these fine officers lasts through the mission because otherwise you're falling back on that ensign over there. Yes, the tiny one with the stupid looking eyepatch."

Like you said, somebody's always got to be in charge, and that's what the chain of command was invented for before it became a fancy word for layers of bureaucracy.
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:50 pm

Per Kkhat, Cadence does not exist in FoE as not only she but Shinning Armor throw some rather vicious twists into FoE cannon in general. Having a royal guard captain be your brother changes quite a few things including Twilight's actions as I don't think Celestia could have sheltered her favorite student from the war for ten long years with her only standing army being run by Twilight's brother.

And yes maybe the Pegasuses have some form of formal military left over from the pre Celestia days but day one year one of the war the army Celestia has to go to war with is the Royal guard and that's about it.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:53 pm

O. Hinds wrote:re Cadence et al:
My current idea, if I must consider Cadence, Shining Armor, the changelings, or really anything from the wedding episode is that the wedding episode takes place in an alternate timeline caused by C, SA, and the changelings being sent back in time from the near future of the Equestrian Wasteland as a plot by a group of alicorns and ghouls using a preapocalypse temporal research lab to prevent the war. Cadence would try and make peace, Shining Armor would, if Cadence failed, use military knowledge gained from twenty years of war to end the war quickly instead of letting things escalate, and the changelings would form a shadow government controlling both states, the idea being that, since they feed on love, it would be in their best interests to keep peace. The idea still has a lot of holes in it, but it's the best that I've been able to come up with so far.
My headcanon regarding changelings has always been that they just left.
In the wedding episodes the changeling queen says that there is no other place they have found with a greater concentration of love than Equestria. This implies that they are nomadic, going where the love is. After the war started love became scarce, so they would just move on. Any that were left behind would likely only of done so as a result of having been captured by the Equestrians for more immortal research.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:56 pm

swicked wrote:The loss of Big Mac changed the face of war as Applejack created the entire division of steel rangers and a vicious hatred of stronger bullets.

In order to write in the loss of Twilight's BBBFF I would think her actions would need to be attributed to a similarly dramatic change in focus. Maybe even a greater overall project between Twilight and Applejack for the sake of protecting those they care about.
I hardly think it would just make her try harder.

I would actually sort of prefer, assuming Cadence survived him, if she was the only princess to of ever gotten back to Stable 1, considering the CMC intended to trap the princesses in there along with all the nobles. I don't know what her fate would be past that, but I would hope for something horrific. I rather dislike her.
Agreed on most points. Shining was the captain of the Canterlot city guard. He predated the conventional military, and his sole duty would be to defend the city of Canterlot against all threats. He wouldn't have left while there was a war on, and he's unlikely to have died before Pink Cloud killed his city. Once he realized that he'd failed his city and his Goddess, his only remaining goal would be to keep his wife alive, and he would ensure that she got to "safety" as the last thing he did.

Of course this is all if Cadence and such actually happened in the Fo:E continuity (in which case I assume her to be a winged unicorn rather than an alicorn due to a pony genetics tweak; I've covered this before so PM me if you want the full theory). I prefer the idea that--

O. Hinds wrote:re Cadence et al:
Frickin' ninjas. Only problem I see is that Shining was Twilight's brother, so he couldn't have come from the future. Yeah, Cadence is totally a Fo:E alicorn who travelled back in time and set them on a divergent timeline. It explains everything from her fascination with Twilight Sparkle even before she got her cutie mark to how she's an alicorn with much less than deific powers and knowledge of things even the princesses of the current time lack. As for time-travelling changelings... it could work. Doesn't fit my headcanon, or the story I'm writing and may or may not ever actually post, but it could work.

Cptadder wrote:Per Kkhat, Cadence does not exist in FoE as not only she but Shinning Armor throw some rather vicious twists into FoE cannon in general. Having a royal guard captain be your brother changes quite a few things including Twilight's actions as I don't think Celestia could have sheltered her favorite student from the war for ten long years with her only standing army being run by Twilight's brother.

And yes maybe the Pegasuses have some form of formal military left over from the pre Celestia days but day one year one of the war the army Celestia has to go to war with is the Royal guard and that's about it.
Royal Guard != army. Shining would protect Canterlot, and possible the Princesses, but he wouldn't go to war until it came to his gates and he certainly wouldn't be in charge of the war effort.
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top