Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 5 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Sindri on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:15 pm

I don't really think of faces for people writing on the internet any more than I think of the name of a person I'm talking to face to face. I'm terrible with names IRL because my mind just links directly from the person standing in front of me to their known traits without going through a word in between; online I do the same thing but for screen name instead of facial features. I am a bit curious as to the image I've projected into your minds...

FeatherDust wrote:We need to pass some laws to make them produce greener stars.
What we really need is to harness more of the energy that old Sol is throwing out before it gets away into deep space. Even if we covered the whole earth with solar panels it'd be an astronomically small fraction of what's being wasted out there...

I propose we send a network of satellites into relatively close orbit around the sun, enough to obscure, say, 1% of its surface. This would not only stop any sort of global warming outright (the projected changes that people keep talking about the damage from are about 3 degrees IIRC, so a 1% drop from the ~300K we're currently running at should be much more than enough), but microwave transmitters on the satellites could beam the energy back to any proper receptor on earth for nigh-infinite free, clean energy anywhere on the surface of the earth that doesn't even come from our planet. We could even tweak weather patterns by focusing spare microwaves on whatever part of the atmosphere we want warmed up a little to optimize crop yields and prevent natural disasters. And with the proper focus the whole system could be rigged into a giant death ray!

The only problem I see is that with current tech it would cost roughly the current national debt of the US to put the network in place. That goes down significantly if we get a space elevator or similar cheap launch system working, but it'd still be a lot more than anybody is willing to pay for infinite free power and weather control forever, so this remains a nice little fantasy.
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Ametros on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:25 pm

I vote Sindri as the head of a global science division. Sweetie Belle
Ametros
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:28 pm

CalamityWhen wrote:I vote Sindri as the head of a global science division. Sweetie Belle
If nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve. Sure this would be awesome to have in place, and fun to build, but if I was head all my time would be taken up by paperwork and dealing with politicians. Forever. I'm not quite willing to sacrifice that much for the good of humanity, and I'm sure there are many people better suited to the job.

Also, relevant!
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ametros on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:32 pm

So delegating the boring tedious stuff to others wouldn't be possible? Damn...
Ametros
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:35 pm

Sindri wrote:
If nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve. Sure this would be awesome to have in place, and fun to build, but if I was head all my time would be taken up by paperwork and dealing with politicians. Forever. I'm not quite willing to sacrifice that much for the good of humanity, and I'm sure there are many people better suited to the job.

But... but you get to build a death ray.... an honest to god, ray based weapon of mass destruction with which to threaten the world from your underground volcano lair while your elite Ninja Pirate guards protect you from any meddling heroes and their canine companions....

Why are you all staring at me like that?
Are you telling me none of you when asked as a child "What do you want to be when you grow up?" said Supervillian? And when asked by the teacher if you meant Superhero you corrected her that no indeed you did mean Supervillian and here look in art class last week you drew up some rough sketches of the uniforms you want your guards wearing while defending your underground Volcano base.

I mean I know some people prefer a Sky Fortress or your classic gateway to another Dimension castle hidden in the old abandon warehouse district but for my money nothing says security and style like the classic Volcano base.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:36 pm

CalamityWhen wrote:So delegating the boring tedious stuff to others wouldn't be possible? Damn...
Unfortunately, as a general rule the guy at the top delegates everything interesting to those below because interesting things require focus, and the guy at the top is responsible for everything so he can't afford to focus enough to do any of them. Being an executive makes you half delegator and half figurehead, which doesn't leave a lot of time to be an engineer or a supervillain.
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ametros on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:40 pm

Sindri wrote:
CalamityWhen wrote:So delegating the boring tedious stuff to others wouldn't be possible? Damn...
Unfortunately, as a general rule the guy at the top delegates everything interesting to those below because interesting things require focus, and the guy at the top is responsible for everything so he can't afford to focus enough to do any of them. Being an executive makes you half delegator and half figurehead, which doesn't leave a lot of time to be an engineer or a supervillain.

Find such a super-executive and obtain enough dirt to puppet their direction into doing this project of yours?
This needs to happen. I wouldn't mind sacrificing America for such a thing to happen...
Ametros
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:46 pm

ketchup504 wrote:Also, if The Moon is cheese, Jupiter is bacon.
Mmmmm.... Jupiter.

Derpmind wrote:These are total strangers, and yet I can't remember the last time a conversation with a stranger didn't either fizzle out quickly or somehow have me emulating experts on various topics using my partial knowledge and logical deduction skills. It just keeps happening, and I don't quite know why.
"I just don't know what went right!" Derpy Hooves

Erumpet wrote:Quick question: is Lacunae pronounced with a hard c or a soft c? I always pronounced it with a hard c but I don't know why.
It's a hard C. "Lacunae" is a real word. Lyra
Its pronunciation differs from place to place, though... "cun" can be "coon" or "kyoon", and "ae" may come out "ay", "ee", or "ai".
I prefer "la-KYOON-ay", and I think that's the 'most correct' pronunciation.

Last edited by SilentCarto on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:01 pm

SilentCarto wrote:"I just don't know what went right!"
That is absolutely perfect.
It's in my sig forever now. I'm not sure if I should have a picture next to it or not though. Opinions plz?

I always pronounced her name as "la-KOON-ay." Never thought about it much, it just fits to me.

The best Evil Super Villain Overlord is obviously an AI. Administration tasks are effortless, and having the default power of super-computational speed means that, if proper care is taken to avoid errors and stupid balls, the AI can produce the insanity of dozens, perhaps even hundreds of Mad Scientists.

Aaaand finally, a barely relevant joke that I haven't been able to use in years but is, IMO, funny enough to bother y'all with: If Hillary Clinton was the ruler of the world, she would name herself Empress. Consequently, Bill Clinton would be Vice-Empress.
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 165

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Kippershy wrote:And then I look it up and realise OH FUCK. you're right.
The legion was right!
O______O
I thought they were saying it wrong all along. I was wrong.
It IS "Kaisar's" legion.
Ehhhh... sort of. Latin was transliterated into each language according to its own rules, and so the words got adopted in the local pronunciation. "SEE-zer" is the English way to pronounce the written word "caesar". Not even the local language stayed put, though -- at some point, even Latin shifted to modern Italian and now spells it "cesare" and says "seh-SAH-rey".

That said, the Legion does use correct Roman Latin insofar as we've been able to reconstruct.

Sindri wrote:
Also, relevant!
Green is the new white.
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:11 am

SilentCarto wrote:
Erumpet wrote:Quick question: is Lacunae pronounced with a hard c or a soft c? I always pronounced it with a hard c but I don't know why.
Its pronunciation differs from place to place, though... "cun" can be "coon" or "kyoon", and "ae" may come out "ay", "ee", or "ai".
I agree. I intentionally mispronounce it, as that is my way of things :P

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:24 am

I guess while we are on the topic of enunciation...
How in the holy hell is Koenigsegg supposed to be pronounced?
Koenigseggisseggggnignigsegigisegggnigseggniggsegg
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:37 am

I pronounce it "OhgodIlovethatgorgeouscarbutittriestokillme".

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:45 am

RoboRed wrote:I pronounce it "OhgodIlovethatgorgeouscarbutittriestokillme".

Bah, I rock that thing no TCS or ABS everyday. :P

Suicidal, butt fun!
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:47 am

swicked wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:
I agree. I intentionally mispronounce it, as that is my way of things :P

I'll get behind 'my way anyways' mentality. A hard c just sounds so... inelegant.
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlong Analysis Cobalt on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:48 am

iLateralGX wrote:I guess while we are on the topic of enunciation...
Hmm... from my choir days, I think I actually might know how to pronounce that one, but I'm not sure how to phonetically render it. Sort of a "Keur" sound, but without the r, then just nig and seg with really hard Gs?
Overlong Analysis Cobalt
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 230

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:51 am

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:
Hmm... from my choir days, I think I actually might know how to pronounce that one, but I'm not sure how to phonetically render it. Sort of a "Keur" sound, but without the r, then just nig and seg with really hard Gs?

Hmmm, sounds promising, now to see what the others say... eventually.
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:52 am

iLateralGX wrote:Bah, I rock that thing no TCS or ABS everyday. :P

Suicidal, butt fun!
As do I, but it's still a bit of a handful.

I actually haven't driven any R2's in a while...I'd probably have a better handle on it by now.

Back to seriousness, though. When I pronounce it out loud at normal speed, I hear "coin-ig-seg".

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:55 am

Looks like "KON-nigs-egg" to me.

Edit: Looks like you're not the first to have this problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAjLYBZhNF4
It's a bit more "kun" than "con", and the s almost comes out as a z. "KUN-nig-zeg".
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:00 am

RoboRed wrote:

Suicidal, butt fun!

I actually haven't driven any R2's in a while...I'd probably have a better handle on it by now.

Back to seriousness, though. When I pronounce it out loud at normal speed, I hear "coin-ig-seg".

That is how I pronounced it as well. This also confirms my suspicions that you own or at one point played Forza 4. Since I did a Google search on that image and yielded no results which means it was likely from your own collection.
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:02 am

SilentCarto wrote:
Looks like "KON-nigs-egg" to me.

Edit: Looks like you're not the first to have this problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAjLYBZhNF4
It's a bit more "kun" than "con", and the s almost comes out as a z. "KUN-nig-zeg".

I suppose that video settles it then, I think.
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:10 am

You know, we could always ask Kim/Kattlarv. She's Swedish.

iLateralGX wrote:
RoboRed wrote:

Suicidal, butt fun!

That is how I pronounced it as well. This also confirms my suspicions that you own or at one point played Forza 4. Since I did a Google search on that image and yielded no results which means it was likely from your own collection.

Yeah. That's me in my #47 Traxus-sponsored Koenigsegg CCGT, and a friend of mine in his Pagani Zonda R. That photo is hosted in my photobucket account.

I'm surprised you didn't find it elsewhere. I did post it twice on Jalopnik. But then again, that was a while back. It might be off the record by now.

------------------
Aonee wrote:

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:15 am

Cptadder wrote:Why are you all staring at me like that?
Are you telling me none of you when asked as a child "What do you want to be when you grow up?" said Supervillian?
I'll have you know I've been a member of team evil my entire life! Rage

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:21 am

RoboRed wrote:Yeah. That's me in my #47 Traxus-sponsored Koenigsegg CCGT, and a friend of mine in his Pagani Zonda R. That photo is hosted in my photobucket account.

I'm surprised you didn't find it elsewhere. I did post it twice on Jalopnik. But then again, that was a while back. It might be off the record by now.

It was only a Google search, they my not cover as much as we figured.
That or it has been resized, that might throw it off for all I know.
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:23 am

RoboRed wrote:You know, we could always ask Kim/Kattlarv. She's Swedish.

I am sure she will tell us how wrong we all are when she sees this.
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:37 am

@RoboRed (Hey, at least you have something. I don't have anything...
Happy Birthday to Project Horizons! Keep up the good work, Somber!)
- All you need is good wishes. I just hold myself to unnecessarily high standards. Artists do that heh.

@SilentCarto (Yay, happy BJ and Glory!)
- Yay! Yeah, there isn't enough happy Blackjack and Glory for a while.
("You're out of control, Go Fish! The Overmare's been -- well, the Overmare is very upset with you. I'm assigning you a partner.")
- Hah... ha... Oh wow when you explain that it makes the joke so painful...
Poor P-21...
It 'would' make a great buddy cop movie though.

@Somber
*hugs Somber gently again, just for good measure*

@Meleagridis (Jealous)
- Ah well the video is still a good way to celebrate, and sorry... usually it's me that's jealous of everypony else...
Also, yay avatar, heh.

@Kattlarv
- Yay for forgetting horrible deeds with cuteness! Thank you heh *takes your offered hug*
Still good luck with your story.

@SilentCarto (Boop! Pinkamina)
*falls over giggling*
*votes for best use of Puppysmiles*

@Erumpet
- Welcome to the forum, sir. I hope you enjoy your stay.

@Quotidian (anniversary drawing)
- Bwahaha, I'm drawing adorable and nopony can stop me! But I am very glad that you enjoy it, sir, thnk you.
(Ryx is short, scrawny, and adorable)
- Unfortunately completely wrong on the first two points, heh. I have been called adorable before though.
The way I think of everyone is like giant monoliths with their avatar and user-name printed on the front heh. Kinda like SEELE from Evangelion.

@Kippershy (reading personal messages)
- Nopony... I'm pretty sure...

@Erumpet (pronounce Lacunae)
- I pronounce it "Lah-ku-nay"
I also used to constantly joke that "I reserve my right as an American to mispronounce any words I want".

@Ice Crystal (That's why it's a dead language, because people got tired of it being so silly)
- Got a good laugh out of that, thank you, heh.

@(Johnnoz's picture of BJ)
- That is adorable, yay for celebratory art!

@O.Hinds (chapter update)
- Always nice to hear progress updates. Finishing Thursday sounds perfectly fine, nothing to be sorry about.
And it sounds like an awesome chapter already, I love [REDACTED].

Cptadder wrote:Ten minutes of searching have lead me to the startling conclusion that no one has thought to do a Pony version of Robert E Lee, William Tecumseh Sherman or Ulysses S. Grant, Nathan Bedford Forrest, or George B. McClellan to foster on O.Hinds as his new avatar.

Really any civil war era General will do as everyone was going as a Gentleman doing those days.
I'll see what I can do.

@hawkeye92
- Happy late birthday, sir.

@Kippershy (Kaisar)
- Still gonna pronounce it "Sea-sir". The only thing I call "Kaiser" are dinner rolls!
Edit: Okay... well there are a few different things I'd call Kaiser, but Caeser isn't one of them.

@iLateralGX (Koenigsegg)
- I would... probably pronounce it "Ko-en-ig-seg". But more slurred...

Last edited by WavemasterRyx on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 375

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:03 am

WavemasterRyx wrote:@iLateralGX (Koenigsegg)

It seems like that is what almost everyone is saying without looking up or anything of the sort.
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 am

iLateralGX wrote:
WavemasterRyx wrote:@iLateralGX (Koenigsegg)

It seems like that is what almost everyone is saying without looking up or anything of the sort.
At my first look at it I thought con-i-seg, the the i being soft and the first e and g being silent for no particular reason.
But I, too, have done no looking of it up.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Quotidian on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:45 am

Holy god I love this thread. Every page has at least three hilariously quotable things on it. You guys are awesome.

WavemasterRyx wrote:-Unfortunately completely wrong on the first two points, heh. I have been called adorable before though. The way I think of everyone is like giant monoliths with their avatar and user-name printed on the front heh. Kinda like SEELE from Evangelion.

Welp, now you have to picture me as some kind of horrible goddamn mash-up of MCP and AM. Because of reasons.

On a completely unrelated note, I had to talk a half-dozen of my drunk friends from dragging me to a strip club tonight. When I'm the sober, rational one of the group, you know something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Oh, and there's a new FiaB album out. And Living Tombstone has a remix on it. If you need me, I'll be in a jumpstyle coma.
Quotidian
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 49

Character List:
Name: Drifter
Sex: Male
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:09 am

GAAARGH INTERNET EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Oooooh damn I've made a horrible mistake in my 2/3 asleep mindset.
So the One Man's Pony Ramblings blog got around to doing a review of Fallout: Equestria (If you're reading this RIGHT NOW, please resist the temptation to read that review a bit PLEASE.) As it's a very popular site, I felt obligated in my duty to Project Horizons to give it a recommendation in the comments. Unfortunately, I'm 2/3 asleep, so I made a huge rambling and very, very bad recommendation. If I wasn't so out-of-it, I would have asked one of you not-so-sleepy people to write something quickly before everyone and their mother reads the review and comments and doesn't get that very-important for karmar or justice or something to READ PROJECT HORIZONS. So I need NEED y'all to tell me QUICKLY whether I should keep the crappy recommendation I have up or delete it and let one of you write something else. PLEASE HELP PLEASE I'm sticking my neck out just making such a completely positive recommendation on such a critical site, but I can't tell if my bad writing is painting a huge target on my ass or not BECAUSE I"M NOT FULLY AWAKE AND FIGHTING SLEEP.

Oops? (F***)
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 165

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top