Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 4 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Kattlarv on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:44 pm

@Everypony: (Prenounce) I say it "LaC-u-nae" or "LaC-u-ny"... possibly with the first as "laCu", I have no idea how these works...
That's at least how I say it in DDO on my character :P

@Robo: I be far to brave to be assimulated, I'm not compatible anyhow.

And hehe, can say that sometimes I'm glad all I do is swell and moisten a bit. More subtle in almost all cases.
Kattlarv
Hydra

Brohoof! : 26

Character List:
Name: Dewflower
Sex: Female-ish
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:52 pm

Erumpet wrote:Hard c it is. I've pronounced it La-coo-nay, which seems pretty close to the common consensus.

Been going 'La-soo-nay,' myself. Not one other?
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:56 pm

Always used the hard "c" myself, like everybody apparently.
Well, except Meleagridis it seems... what a weirdy. :P
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:00 pm

Kattlarv wrote:@Robo: I be far to brave to be assimulated, I'm not compatible anyhow.

And hehe, can say that sometimes I'm glad all I do is swell and moisten a bit. More subtle in almost all cases.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. BRAVERY IS IRRELEVANT. SPECIES IS IRRELEVANT.

BONERS ARE INCONVENIENT.

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:01 pm

RandomBlank wrote:
Kippershy wrote:Or is it simply so we can understand?
To me, things like the LHC are just a silly waste of money to try understand something that actually doesn't have a practical use.
We should be instead focusing money and effort onto how to improve the world around us for all peoples, rather then trying to understand some science which has no application.

Yes, you don't understand.
To us LHC is as useless, as Marie Curie's research on radioactivity 100 years ago. Yet you can't deny nuclear fusion is important in our lives.

A bit late but that is a hell of an argument and I am literally saving that on a word document for the next convenient time. Anybody ever tell you how smart and convincing you are Blank?
tylertoon2
Hydra

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tylertoon2

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Saw this while looking for Fallout screenshots.

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:17 pm

RoboRed wrote:
Kattlarv wrote:@Robo: I be far to brave to be assimulated, I'm not compatible anyhow.

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. BRAVERY IS IRRELEVANT. SPECIES IS IRRELEVANT.

BONERS ARE INCONVENIENT.

Not sure if Reaper or Borg... hmmm.
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattlarv on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:21 pm

@Robo: Technically,anatomy wise, I get those too

@iLat: Don't forget Cybermen! :D

Also, I'm really not feeling well right now, I'm going to try and sleep... damn you Frank! And curse you possible fever combined with headache!

Last edited by Kattlarv on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Feeling sick.)
Kattlarv
Hydra

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Kattlarv wrote:@Robo: Technically,anatomy wise, I get those too
Yeah, but you don't "raise the flagpole".

ANYWAYS,
@iLat: Don't forget Cybermen! :D
Indeed. Also, omgmindexplosion.

Kattlarv wrote: damn you Frank!
...Who the bloody hell is Frank?

------------------
Aonee wrote:

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattlarv on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:36 pm

@Robo: Fair enough. And we've had this discussion before I believe, so leaving it at that haha.

Seen that before I think.

Just Ctrl+F frank for 2-5 pages back or so. Anyhow, night.
Kattlarv
Hydra

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:47 pm

tylertoon2 wrote:
RandomBlank wrote:
To me, things like the LHC are just a silly waste of money to try understand something that actually doesn't have a practical use.
We should be instead focusing money and effort onto how to improve the world around us for all peoples, rather then trying to understand some science which has no application.

To us LHC is as useless, as Marie Curie's research on radioactivity 100 years ago. Yet you can't deny nuclear fusion is important in our lives.

A bit late but that is a hell of an argument and I am literally saving that on a word document for the next convenient time. Anybody ever tell you how smart and convincing you are Blank?
Now, while it is entirely possible that RandomBlank knew all of that off the top of his head, there's a comic that I like to post about those sorts of assumptions:

Spike

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Even if he did use Wikipedia, he now knows the stuff anyway if he cares to remember it. Glorious internet.

I do read on Wikipedia a lot, and we semi-often end up on topics I've already read about there. Like the minigun discussion, I had already read the article multiple times.
I also know how spark plugs work from real life, too.
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:03 pm

iLateralGX wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
Derpmind wrote:But yes, Hinds is definitely from the British dimension.
…This is hilarious. I mean, I don't even use colour and defence instead of color and defense, and, yet, despite working only from text, two people have already mistaken me for British.
Adding to the hilarity is the fact that, well, half the team is British.

So... what, are you from Space Australia?
I've spent most of my life in the American state of Georgia and most of that time in the rural northern mountains. Not that you'd know from listening to me... or reading what I write, apparently.

Icy Shake wrote:
Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:
swicked wrote:@Randomblank
Yeah, that's not real.
notgonnapostthestorynotgonnapostthestorynotgonnapostthestory... dammit.

Okay, not the same mistake, but sort of comparable. I once listened to a 40-something engineer explain why evolution couldn't possibly work because of the second law of thermodynamics. It felt like she had to be joking, but no. Deadly serious. (I'm hoping that the argument and counter-argument are well-known enough that I don't have to explain them, because trying to explain the former without it sounding like a blatant strawman is really, really difficult)

So, when I saw this, my reaction was "how did you get to be an engineer if you think that the concept of air conditioning is contrary to the second law of thermodynamics?"
I know a young earth creationist studying to be an astrophysicist. How she reconciles the two in her head I do not know, but apparently she does.

swicked wrote:
tylertoon2 wrote:
RandomBlank wrote:

Now, while it is entirely possible that RandomBlank knew all of that off the top of his head, there's a comic that I like to post about those sorts of assumptions:

Spike
There is a reason why some think that the singularity occurred back in the 60s.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Also, update on the chapter:
While we're closeish to finishing, the actual writing isn't quite complete, and Somber and Snipehamster both have to go. We're hoping to finish Thursday. Sorry.

I can, however, assure you that this chapter is quite, quite awesome and even contains [REDACTED].
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:13 pm

Might this be the post that get us pruned? Not likely since we have another two pages to fill.

First off
Love the Fluttershy gif, that is awesome in both adorableness and subtext.

Second
La-coo-nay
I'm pretty good about getting people's names correctly when they say them to me. The only exception being Arabic names which are nightmares for most English speakers but I can get Asian, African and South American names easy. But frigging Latin names? Caeser or Cazar! damn you Legion for introducing me to the supposedly correct pronunciation.

O.Hinds wrote:
I've spent most of my life in the American state of Georgia and most of that time in the rural northern mountains. Not that you'd know from listening to me... or reading what I write, apparently.
That's pretty good, when I go back down south I'll yall anything down by the crick.
Now however I've pictured O.Hinds as no longer British but as a distinguished southern gentleman peck typing away at a old computer with his favorite pheasant dog at his feet, his dueling pistol in the top desk draw which his distinguished gentleman's cane is leaning against.

Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:15 pm

O. Hinds wrote:

That is not nearly as fascinating as I had pictured in my mind...
My only memory from Georgia is when I was driving through it about 2 weeks ago trying to get back home from Florida and I look over to my right and I see a guy driving an old pickup truck with a bed full of watermelons. I only remember it because it was so strange to me.

I hope to god he was a watermelon salesman and those were not all for him.
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:16 pm

O. Hinds wrote:I can, however, assure you that this chapter is quite, quite awesome and even contains [REDACTED].
Awesome. I love the smell of [REDACTED] in the morning.

Cptadder wrote:Might this be the post that get us pruned? Not likely since we have another two pages to fill.

First off
Love the Fluttershy gif, that is awesome in both adorableness and subtext.

Second
La-coo-nay
I'm pretty good about getting people's names correctly when they say them to me. The only exception being Arabic names which are nightmares for most English speakers but I can get Asian, African and South American names easy. But frigging Latin names? Caeser or Cazar! damn you Legion for introducing me to the supposedly correct pronunciation.

O.Hinds wrote:
That's pretty good, when I go back down south I'll yall anything down by the crick.
Now however I've pictured O.Hinds as no longer British but as a distinguished southern gentleman peck typing away at a old computer with his favorite pheasant dog at his feet, his dueling pistol in the top desk draw which his distinguished gentleman's cane is leaning against.

@Topic: It'll be right about when we hit pg38.

@Flutters: I know I've seen one without the banner at the bottom before, though. I need to find it.

@O.Hinds: LIKE A SIR.

------------------
Aonee wrote:

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:19 pm

Ten minutes of searching have lead me to the startling conclusion that no one has thought to do a Pony version of Robert E Lee, William Tecumseh Sherman or Ulysses S. Grant, Nathan Bedford Forrest, or George B. McClellan to foster on O.Hinds as his new avatar.

Really any civil war era General will do as everyone was going as a Gentleman doing those days.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:30 pm

I can picture this now. It may be a new frontier of awesome.

------------------
Aonee wrote:

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye92 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:31 pm

I missed PH's birthday, didn't I (I was probably too wrapped up in my own birthday). Well, belated birthday wishes and congratulations to Somber for sticking with it this long, it's been a hell of a ride so far.

Length isn't so much of an issue, there are an awful lot of people reading, most of them lurking I imagine. With hightower, you've set the scene for potentially a lot of stuff to happen and if it stays anywhere near as tense as the last chapter everyone will be on the edge of their seats (after BJ's monologue about how she thinks people following her might die I've been deathly worried for our band of intrepid heroes).

I also got really bored and wrote a different style of introduction for Fallout Equestria, heavily plagiarised from another dark and gloomy setting.

This is the wasteland. For more than two centuries the princesses have been dead, slaughtered by by the balefire and necromantic forces that destroyed the world. Equestria is a mausoleum, a testament to an age long past and dead. The land still writhes invisibly with dark power and radiation, a constant reminder of the ferocity of the great war which saw the land scoured clean.

Yet even in this state, life struggles on in the ruins of the world. Initially thousands were saved from the balefire holocaust in great underground stables, emerging only with the nightmare of the wastes to greet them. Now there are small settlements dotted across the landscape, each in a desperate struggle to survive, facing raiders, radiation, monsters – and worse.

To be a pony in such times is to be one amongst untold misery. It is to live in the cruellest and most bloody environment imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and magic, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re learned. Forget the power of love, harmony and common equinity, for in this grim dark future there is only chaos. There is no peace amongst the wastes, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods.

It is a universe you can live in today -if you dare- for this is a dark and terrible era where you will find little comfort or hope.

But, the wasteland is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...
hawkeye92
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:42 pm

The proper way to say it is similar to La(h) Coon Ae (Ay)
(yes, I did this just to say coon, LOL)

Seriously though.

Lack - cun - ae.
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:50 pm

And thus, the threads were split.

------------------
Aonee wrote:

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm

Cptadder wrote:are nightmares for most English speakers but I can get Asian, African and South American names easy. But frigging Latin names? Caeser or Cazar! damn you Legion for introducing me to the supposedly correct pronunciation.

And then I look it up and realise OH FUCK. you're right.
The legion was right!

O______O

I thought they were saying it wrong all along. I was wrong.
It IS "Kaisar's" legion.
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Cptadder wrote:But frigging Latin names? Caeser or Cazar! damn you Legion for introducing me to the supposedly correct pronunciation.
o_O
It's a dead language; no one knows how to pronounce it the way it used to be.
There are rules to pronouncing it that have been made up much more recently, but those aren't particularly "correct", so I think any way of pronouncing it should be fine.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Cptadder wrote:
O.Hinds wrote:
Um, no.
Very no.
I have since kindergarten avoided picking up any sort of American Southeastern accent, I'm on a 2011 MacBook Pro, I don't care much for dogs, my family owns only one gun, and old .22 rifle we got from my lifelong northerner maternal grandfather (and I don't think that we actually have any ammunition for it), I'm planning to vote SPUSA in the upcoming presidential election since my vote will be counted for the Republicans no matter who I cast it for...
Oh, and I thought of (though have never actually said to anyone outside my family, since I'm not suicidal) a reply to the whole "The South will rise again!" thing: "Then the North will just beat you again."

Kippershy wrote:
Cptadder wrote:are nightmares for most English speakers but I can get Asian, African and South American names easy. But frigging Latin names? Caeser or Cazar! damn you Legion for introducing me to the supposedly correct pronunciation.

And then I look it up and realise OH FUCK. you're right.
The legion was right!

O______O

I thought they were saying it wrong all along. I was wrong.
It IS "Kaisar's" legion.
Yep. Imperial German had the pretty much correct pronunciation. Also, "Julius" is spelt "Iulius" and pronounced (roughly) "Yülius". An i by itself is pronounced ee, w's are v's, ae is aye, and all c's are hard. (Note: I am just a somewhat keen amateur with a very knowledgeable mother, not an actual student of Latin.) The differences in pronunciation arose, IIRC, between proper Roman Latin and medieval European "Church Latin".
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:41 pm

O. Hinds wrote:I've spent most of my life in the American state of Georgia and most of that time in the rural northern mountains. Not that you'd know from listening to me... or reading what I write, apparently.
Yay for living in the middle of nowhere!
Though I'm surrounded by more farms than mountains.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:44 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Um, no.
Very no.
I have since kindergarten avoided picking up any sort of American Southeastern accent, I'm on a 2011 MacBook Pro, I don't care much for dogs, my family owns only one gun, and old .22 rifle we got from my lifelong northerner maternal grandfather (and I don't think that we actually have any ammunition for it), I'm planning to vote SPUSA in the upcoming presidential election since my vote will be counted for the Republicans no matter who I cast it for...
Oh, and I thought of (though have never actually said to anyone outside my family, since I'm not suicidal) a reply to the whole "The South will rise again!" thing: "Then the North will just beat you again."
Ah say O. Hinds why Ah say why won't you just fit into this here stereotyping box I got all set up for you. Why must you insist on not neatly fitting into one of these two dozen pre-approved handy stereotypes, it's like your trying to be unique or something you Mac book using Yankee sympathizing socialist hugging... um mm Non-Gentleman!

Regardless your mental picture has now acquired muttonchops, be sure to grow them out soonest so that my mythical mental picture matches your actual reality. At least give me the muttonchops.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:01 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Um, no.
Very no.

Living in the middle of rural Kentucky, I say this will all the respect and understanding I can muster.

I know that feel, bro.
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:02 pm

Sindri wrote:A star is actually a perfect example of entropy. You start with a fuckton on potential energy in the existing material and structure. Then it throws off light and heat in massive quantities, scattering them across the black indiscriminately. A star is constantly, and very rapidly, transforming matter and energy from an orderly, "useful" state to one what is completely useless, and driving itself toward the inevetable heat death of the universe.
We need to pass some laws to make them produce greener stars.

Every moment we're alive we shift energy toward less useful forms and scatter it across the black, just like a star does.
GREEN PEOPLE TOO!
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:10 pm

On the "Lacunae" issue, I've been saying "la-KYOO-nay" since the start, but that's only because I already knew the word lacuna (which is often said "la-KOO-nah" but technically ought to be "KYOO") from reading one of the Xanth books in middle school.

And because I'm an etymology & language nerd and like knowing how to say words correctly in latin. <cough>
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down