Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+35
Somber
hawkeye92
Tia
Necr0maNceR
nebulous
Randombuttons
Orm
Downloaded Skill
Scyto Harmony
Katarn
SilentCarto
tylertoon2
Kattlarv
Stringtheory
Ametros
Icy Shake
Kippershy
FeatherDust
Meleagridis
OneMoreDaySK
Admiral Stoic Rum
O. Hinds
CamoBadger
Caoimhe
iLateralGX
Vergil
IncoherentOrange
Sindri
Valikdu
Ketchup
Cptadder
Ironmonger
WavemasterRyx
RoboRed
39 posters

Page 24 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 24 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Ironmonger Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:25 pm

Caoimhe wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:
Kippershy wrote:
swicked wrote:Random question:
Was the ministry of image, or a ministry of image, ever described as having no windows, like the ministry of truth (1984)?
I want to say it was, but I can't remember if it was in PH, FoE or MN7...

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's windows all over it - sorry.

Enough of my silliness since I know you tire of it. I have a legitimate question, why do a lot of people seem to hate FoE fics?

Because it's dark, violent and has sometimes stuff of a sexual nature... and it's based off of a cartoon for 6 year olds girls.

I felt weird about it at first, but grew to appreciate the literary merit of a fun adventure story, but I can see how some people could be turned off considering the darkest the source material gets is light scariness. Some people cry betrayal at anything but happy go lucky.
That's like literary bigotry I don't even... Scootaloo

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 24 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Kippershy Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:26 pm

In recent news: Don't pull upwards on your dick from below, you might just pull your ballsack up too and risk a painful crushing moment.

...Thankfully, I managed to abort just as the balls were about to be crushed.
Thank the lord.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:27 pm

@Cao: That sums it all up pretty well. To tell the truth, the darker atmosphere of Fo:E was somewhat of a deterrent keeping me from reading it, because that wasn't what I looked for in a fanfic when I started; I had run out of show to watch, so I looked for fanfics of suitable quality and similar style... eventually leading me to create my own, with not a lot of success. Now, though, I've expanded my criteria, both reading-wise and writing-wise (hell, I wrote a dark story of my own. Not a good one, though). It's easiest to approach it as Fallout, but with ponies instead, not ponies with Fallout instead. Read it like a Fallout fanfic, and it's... huh. Someone from just that fandom should try it. That'd be interesting to see.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:29 pm

@Kipper
...One of these days I'm going to attempt to kick you. In the face xD

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:35 pm

On the subject of story length, recently I was reading Dean Koontz's story compilation Strange Highways. When I looked at the afterword, I saw that there he described a novel as being around fifty thousand words long or longer.

...PH is two dozen novels long. (I might be off.) Damn, that's a whole pile of books.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:37 pm

I've heard it described around 200K words or higher.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:40 pm

Well, Koontz is a short story author, primarily. Must depend on who you're talkin' to.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:46 pm

I just told my buddy/co-author about Kipper's derailing of the thread not so long ago.
Spoiler:
...Some people play tennis, other's erode the human soul.
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 24 Mushroom-cloud

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:05 pm

40k words is the metric used by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America as the cutoff between a novella and a novel. Looking around, a bit more, it seems like some publishers may prefer ~80k or (somewhat) more for published novels, at least from new authors. But I won't deny that when I look at anything that's under perhaps 60k, I think that it seems much shorter than I normally expect from what I would normally call a novel. 200k is actually a pretty considerable length for a single novel.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:08 pm

Hello, everypony! I'm that co-author that Ironmonger mentioned, and I let him think we're friends. Anywho, this is my first post here, so I'd just like to say that You are never safe.
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:11 pm

Mister Frost wrote:Hello, everypony! I'm that co-author that Ironmonger mentioned, and I let him think we're friends. Anywho, this is my first post here, so I'd just like to say that You are never safe.

Try as you like, you're an arrogant and ignorant little child.
Why?

Spoiler:

You're yet to see anything...
Welcome.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Kippershy wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:Hello, everypony! I'm that co-author that Ironmonger mentioned, and I let him think we're friends. Anywho, this is my first post here, so I'd just like to say that You are never safe.

Why?

Spoiler:

Welcome.
There's two of us now. Twilight crazy
Spoiler:

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:19 pm

I tribute my level 1 monster to retrieve my previous post from the graveyard. Ball's on your court, motherfucker.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Kippershy wrote:

Why?

Spoiler:

Welcome.

I had a baneblade hidden underneath that trap card. I know what you're thinking-- "It must have taken some sort of tactical geniu....CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED"

All war is deception.

-Sun Tzu

Spoiler:
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:30 pm

IncoherentOrange wrote: Someone from just that fandom should try it. That'd be interesting to see.

Someone already has. That's me =)
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Mister Frost wrote:I had a baneblade hidden underneath that trap card. I know what you're thinking-- "It must have taken some sort of tactical geniu....CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED"

All war is deception.

-Sun Tzu

Spoiler:
you're a 40k memer too? Twilight crazy The BLOOD WHICH DOTH BELONG TO THE GOD OF BLOODSHED HAS BEEN DOUBLED!
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Mech Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Well, it took eighteen chapters, but I finally got around to drawing the Choir. Enjoy!

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 24 Tumblr_mbceirYRvh1qkdrvbo1_1280
Mech
Mech
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 67

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://mistermech.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:36 pm

stringtheory wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:I had a baneblade hidden underneath that trap card. I know what you're thinking-- "It must have taken some sort of tactical geniu....CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED"

All war is deception.

-Sun Tzu

Spoiler:
you're a 40k memer too? [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 24 3932362616 The BLOOD WHICH DOTH BELONG TO THE GOD OF BLOODSHED HAS BEEN DOUBLED!

KHORNE FOR TEH KHORNE FLAKES
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Mech wrote:Well, it took eighteen chapters, but I finally got around to drawing the Choir. Enjoy!

Sweet crap nice work!

...why do I suddenly feel like I won't sleep well tonight
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
Kippershy wrote:

Why?

Spoiler:

Welcome.

I had a baneblade hidden underneath that trap card. I know what you're thinking-- "It must have taken some sort of tactical geniu....CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED"

All war is deception.

-Sun Tzu

Spoiler:

You take me too seriously, I think. Can't tell.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Mech wrote:Well, it took eighteen chapters, but I finally got around to drawing the Choir. Enjoy!

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 24 Tumblr_mbceirYRvh1qkdrvbo1_1280

not sure whether to scream or clop.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:40 pm

Mister Frost wrote:KHORNE FOR TEH KHORNE FLAKES
you're doing it wrong, here's how you do it:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE, MILK FOR THE KHORNE FLAKES!
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:42 pm

swicked wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:not sure whether to scream or clop.
Why not both?
how would that even work?...never mind don't answer that, I don't want to know
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:46 pm

I've got this idea bouncing around in my head. it's an HiE fic, but it's about a PMC hired by Discord to free him. he's teleported there, but remains a human. still looks like he's from our realistic-looking real-life stuff, in the cartoon world. naturally, he disorients and almost maddens ponies just by them looking at him, and he obeys real-world physics-- he can't shrug off the psychotic amount of trauma that ponies can, but like I said, he follows real-world physics, which procludes magic. How do you think this fic would go over?
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:47 pm

Ironmonger wrote:Enough of my silliness since I know you tire of it. I have a legitimate question, why do a lot of people seem to hate FoE fics?
A lot of people don't like grimdark. Well, a few legitimately don't like it and a lot assume it to be crappy gorn or a stupid shock story. (Because 90% of the stuff they label as grimdark is crappy gorn or stupid shock stories.)

A lot of people don't like what they see as a "corruption" of a kids show.

Some people look at MLP and Fallout, can't see how it would work together, and just assume that it can't.

Some people don't like reading, so they see something long and automatically shift to hate.

Some people think it makes them cool to hate things that a lot of people like.

Some people just like trolling.

You're adorable. Tilt

Mech wrote:Well, it took eighteen chapters, but I finally got around to drawing the Choir. Enjoy!]
0_0

That isn't.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:51 pm

Mister Frost wrote:I've got this idea bouncing around in my head. it's an HiE fic, but it's about a PMC hired by Discord to free him. he's teleported there, but remains a human. still looks like he's from our realistic-looking real-life stuff, in the cartoon world. naturally, he disorients and almost maddens ponies just by them looking at him, and he obeys real-world physics-- he can't shrug off the psychotic amount of trauma that ponies can, but like I said, he follows real-world physics, which procludes magic. How do you think this fic would go over?
generally HiE's are usually hated just because there are so many bad ones,
you have a somewhat original idea, but I'm pretty sure something like this has already been done,
you should go ahead and write it, though don't expect it to get that many views
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:55 pm

stringtheory wrote:
generally HiE's are usually hated just because there are so many bad ones,
you have a somewhat original idea, but I'm pretty sure something like this has already been done,
you should go ahead and write it, though don't expect it to get that many views

I've got several ideas in mah brainparts rightnow, that's just the most "out there" one. if anything, that would be the one I do when I get writer's block or something.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:56 pm

Mister Frost wrote:I've got this idea bouncing around in my head. it's an HiE fic, but it's about a PMC hired by Discord to free him. he's teleported there, but remains a human. still looks like he's from our realistic-looking real-life stuff, in the cartoon world. naturally, he disorients and almost maddens ponies just by them looking at him, and he obeys real-world physics-- he can't shrug off the psychotic amount of trauma that ponies can, but like I said, he follows real-world physics, which procludes magic. How do you think this fic would go over?
If your primary character cannot meaningfully interact with any of the other characters, you have a problem. If you're constantly including a feature, like a sanity-warping visage, that you don't actually know how it works, you have a problem. And even if you manage to write something amazing, it's going to be a HiE that's grey at best, so most people aren't going to like it.

So screw them and keep writing, if you think you can do it.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Sindri wrote:If your primary character cannot meaningfully interact with any of the other characters, you have a problem. If you're constantly including a feature, like a sanity-warping visage, that you don't actually know how it works, you have a problem. And even if you manage to write something amazing, it's going to be a HiE that's grey at best, so most people aren't going to like it.

So screw them and keep writing, if you think you can do it.

He can meaningfully interact with them, it's just that he's rather fragile (but can't be touched by magic)

It's not that he warps sanity like some sort of Great Old One, he's just rendered 3D in a world that, though existing in 3 dimensions, is rendered in two. thus, he can disorient ponies who are seeing him for the first time. unfortunately, this precludes any sort of stealth on his part, and he's a marksman by trade, so he's out of his element.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:02 pm

This is absolutely how I imagined it and yet all I can think about is how adorable the tail covering on the envirosuit is.

Something quite wrong with me, yes.

And also the use of low angle and foreground perspective rocks so hard.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next