Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+37
Derpmind
Admiral Stoic Rum
Harmony Ltd.
WovenTales
Scyto Harmony
Downloaded Skill
Kattlarv
nebulous
Vergil
Nightfire
Rafafidi
Somber
Kippershy
FeatherDust
Ametros
Valikdu
Katarn
RandomBlank
Meleagridis
iLateralGX
Icy Shake
WavemasterRyx
Sindri
Stringtheory
Cptadder
Theta
Ketchup
Ironmonger
O. Hinds
OneMoreDaySK
Aonee
IncoherentOrange
Caoimhe
RoboRed
tylertoon2
SilentCarto
41 posters

Page 29 of 31 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 29 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Ironmonger Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:22 pm

I don't know why noobs love the Deagle so much. When will they ever learn that it is a hunting weapon, not a combat weapon? Scootaloo

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 29 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Cptadder Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:25 pm

Ironmonger wrote:I don't know why noobs love the Deagle so much. When will they ever learn that it is a hunting weapon, not a combat weapon? Scootaloo
Unless you intend to hunt bears by hitting them with the gun it's not even that. It's a wrist breaker in .50 period. You don't put that size caliber in that size gun without a stock to adsorb the recoil and if your putting a stock on a handgun you fail gun design class.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Ironmonger wrote:
I'd personally lean toward realism. I'm not quite sure how much damage a 9mm tends to do (low end, right?), but anything spitting fire at you would probably be rather deadly.

9x19mm Parabellum is a low-end cartridge but widely popular because of it's light weight, cheap to make, and decent ballistics. However it aint perfect. There are stories floating around of between 20-38 shots of 9mm of unknown type and powder load to take down a person. Just my 2 cents. Big mac
The thing is, there are very few injuries that will kill you instantly. A hole in the brain, or the heart? You're probably down. A great big .50 slug to the chest, or a serious explosion nearby? You'll probably fall, and die soon. A 9mm bullet through a lung or the gut? It'll probably kill you... eventually. In 5-10 minutes, probably, unless you get medical attention. But the majority of fatal injuries kill you the moment you lie down and let yourself die, so a sufficiently angry, drugged up, or desperate person will keep moving and attacking long after their life is ended. That's why people talk about big guns and 'stopping power,' because a .22 pistol can kill somebody just as effectively as a giant revolver, but in the short term the bigger gun is more likely to make them stop moving while there have been multiple cases of even sane, sober people not noticing getting shot by a small enough pistol until they feel the blood loss. That's one of the most popular arguments in favor of the desert eagle as a self-defense weapon (leaving aside the impractical size, bad reliability issues, general inaccuracy... it was abandoned by the military that designed it for a reason).
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Cptadder wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:I don't know why noobs love the Deagle so much. When will they ever learn that it is a hunting weapon, not a combat weapon? Scootaloo
Unless you intend to hunt bears by hitting them with the gun it's not even that. It's a wrist breaker in .50 period. You don't put that size caliber in that size gun without a stock to adsorb the recoil and if your putting a stock on a handgun you fail gun design class.
Actually, when it was designed, they purposely made it extremely heavy to midigate the recoil, so it is much less than you'd think. Not quite manageable if you don't know what you're doing, but in the right hands it's very effective.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:47 pm

CamoBadger wrote:
Cptadder wrote:
Actually, when it was designed, they purposely made it extremely heavy to midigate the recoil, so it is much less than you'd think. Not quite manageable if you don't know what you're doing, but in the right hands it's very effective.
Until you discover that it falls apart after a dozen shots, or notice that it can't hit the broad side of a barn past fifty feet, sure. People buy a desert eagle because it's a big shiny scary gun, not because they know how to fight. Because people who know how to fight know that it isn't a weapon you fight with. When a military spends a large chunk of money designing something and then discards it, that's a sign that it does not actually function as intended.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Sindri wrote:
CamoBadger wrote:
Cptadder wrote:
Until you discover that it falls apart after a dozen shots, or notice that it can't hit the broad side of a barn past fifty feet, sure. People buy a desert eagle because it's a big shiny scary gun, not because they know how to fight. Because people who know how to fight know that it isn't a weapon you fight with. When a military spends a large chunk of money designing something and then discards it, that's a sign that it does not actually function as intended.
That's true, its design honestly seems like a 'look what we made and you didn't!' in my eyes. And you do make a good point, I sure as hell wouldn't want one in a gunfight if I had any other options. They're fun for a range, most definitely, but other than that, not so much. And as for the accuracy, not many pistols have the accuracy to work well outside of 50 feet, because they weren't designed for anything more than that. Sure, if you practice and get very skilled with them you can hit out further, but they were made for close range and last resort use.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Supposedly, many D. Eagles are actually made in .357 or .44 instead, y'know, so people can use them and get ammunition for 'em.

(Sources: Jagged Alliance 2, FO2, Wikipedia.)
I see Mosin-Nagant rifles going for less than a hundred and forty bucks, in related news. Put into perspective with airsoft guns, you've got a high-powered, combat-proven workhorse rifle that's cheaper than three quarters of the market. I find this funny.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Yeah, they make it smaller because .50 is WAY too expensive (and that's just pistol rounds, the rifle version is...just no)

And yeah, I've almost bought many that I've seen for around $80 here, but I don't feel like getting a bruise over my shoulder every time I go to the range either XD
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 29 Kel_plr
Figured I'd ad a picture of a .223 Pistol since we are talking about guns. Doubles as a Fallout Equestria reference.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:06 pm

...do not want...it just looks so... ridiculous? Impractical?
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Supposedly a hunting weapon. Yes, it looks impractical but we can't knock it till we try it.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:13 pm

CamoBadger wrote:Yeah, they make it smaller because .50 is WAY too expensive (and that's just pistol rounds, the rifle version is...just no)

And yeah, I've almost bought many that I've seen for around $80 here, but I don't feel like getting a bruise over my shoulder every time I go to the range either XD

Is the round really so powerful in such a heavy rifle that it bruises? I mean, I have no experience with firearms other than firing a .22 Short rifle (I wasn't very good with its tiny sight, even at pathetically-short range), but I figured that the weight of the thing might compensate. (They range from 7.5-9 pounds, that's not light.)
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:22 pm

IncoherentOrange wrote:
CamoBadger wrote:Yeah, they make it smaller because .50 is WAY too expensive (and that's just pistol rounds, the rifle version is...just no)

Is the round really so powerful in such a heavy rifle that it bruises? I mean, I have no experience with firearms other than firing a .22 Short rifle (I wasn't very good with its tiny sight, even at pathetically-short range), but I figured that the weight of the thing might compensate. (They range from 7.5-9 pounds, that's not light.)
Actually, in the world of rifles, 7.5 pounds is average for the older weapons (before the days of modern weapon construction and the darn plastic space guns).
But regardless, the Mosin Nagant fires a big round. It says 7.62 on it, but the cartridge behind the bullet is much larger than the same bullet in an AK47. It flies faster, hits harder, and kicks harder than the AK does, which when you combine it with the metal buttplate, will bruise very fast. It hurts for skinny guys like me, who have a bony shoulder. If you've got extra meat, it still hurts, because metal beats meat. My buddy picked one up and we went to shoot, I got through about 10 rounds and refused to shoot anymore because of the bruising on my shoulder.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:25 pm

20 Gauge shotgun is worse on recoil. Rifle recoil is like being shoved, shotgun recoil is like being punched.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:28 pm

20ga? LOL!

Sorry, sorry, I'm biased. 12ga all the way!

But yes, I agree. Shotgun is much more sudden and strong as compared to rifle recoil, mostly due to the action of it, but they also tend to make shotgun stocks more padded to compensate.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:34 pm

...I really, REALLY need to got trapshooting again sometime...my 12ga is probably feeling neglected...
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:36 pm

I loves my Mossberg 500. Though all I do is shoot junk in the backyard of my parents' place or poorly attempt to shoot skeet in the ocean. It's fun to go up there and let off some steam.

That's all I know about weapons in general. :(
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Caoimhe wrote:I loves my Mossberg 500. Though all I do is shoot junk in the backyard of my parents' place or poorly attempt to shoot skeet in the ocean. It's fun to go up there and let off some steam.

You sir, brohoof, now.

I've got a Mossberg 500 as well, and I lurve her.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:40 pm

CamoBadger wrote:
Cptadder wrote:
Which makes it even worse because heavy only makes the recoil work if you've got the hands for it. In my hands a 9mm barely jumps even in a one handed grip, I give it to my 110 pound cousin and she has to use both hands and stance before firing to be accurate.. Now hand her a Desert Eagle in .50 and she will hurt herself.

IncoherentOrange wrote:Supposedly, many D. Eagles are actually made in .357 or .44 instead, y'know, so people can use them and get ammunition for 'em.

(Sources: Jagged Alliance 2, FO2, Wikipedia.)
I see Mosin-Nagant rifles going for less than a hundred and forty bucks, in related news. Put into perspective with airsoft guns, you've got a high-powered, combat-proven workhorse rifle that's cheaper than three quarters of the market. I find this funny.
Yes the Desert Eagle in .357 is a decent gun, there are many better however. Browning Hi-power's and Glock are still the two first guns I go to when I want to recommend a hand gun to someone.

As for the Mosin-Nagent remember they were made by the tens of millions during WW2, rather than let factories sit idle the Soviets kept on producing them even as they were handing out PPsH's and SVT's like candy. Post war they gutted the market for a few years before giving up and handing out Mosin-Nagets to every Communist, semi-communist and just for fun to every third world country on the planet. And since Mosin-Nagants are of the WW1 "built to hit people with" standard they last forever. Which is why you can find them for 200$ these days as parts are plentiful and they don't break easy. But there are so many more modern designs out there this keeps the prices low.

And a for recoil (Separate quote just a general statement) it depends on the gun, the round and the stock design, some stock designs act as recoil dampeners some just pass it directly through but if you have meat free shoulders then you can get rubber backed butt plates to help to alleviate that impact.

Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:40 pm

CamoBadger wrote:
Caoimhe wrote:I loves my Mossberg 500. Though all I do is shoot junk in the backyard of my parents' place or poorly attempt to shoot skeet in the ocean. It's fun to go up there and let off some steam.

You sir, brohoof, now.

"Miss," please. :P

Mine (her name is "Magdalene") mostly stays over my mantle, but I did finally get a shorty stock for it. My brother is infinitely jealous of it. :)

Last edited by Caoimhe on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:40 pm

I knew that early service rifles were universally of that weight, they are heavy in relative terms, as you said. I've heard that many in the US are rechambered for .30-06, but, as far as I know, most of those full-power rounds are roughly the same, though I don't know much about the Russian one, specifically. It's got more powder than the others, (.303, .30-'06) I presume?

If Canada's gun laws (I almost typed that 'fun flaws') weren't quite so stringent I would most definitely have more experience. However, since I'm a small fat wimp, I doubt I'd much enjoy shotguns.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:41 pm

I have two shotties. A Remington 1100 and a Remington 870.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Caoimhe wrote:

"Miss," please. :P

Mine mostly stays over my mantle, but I did finally get a shorty stock for it. My brother is infinitely jealous of it. :)
Oh, sorry for that Miss XD

And I'm kinda jealous of that stock too...

RoboRed wrote:
I have two shotties. A Remington 1100 and a Remington 870.
I want to brohoof you as well...but I can't do it...I'm a mossberg fanboy...still some nice ones you got there.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:42 pm

CamoBadger wrote:

You sir, brohoof, now.

So both of y'all have Mossberg 500's as well. The one I have has an adjustable stock with a side saddle and I love her so much. Unfortunately I don't get to go shooting that often. Also, anyone here ever fire an M1 Garand? I bought one a couple months ago but I haven't the time to go and try her out yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:45 pm

Garands seem pretty sweet; a weapon doesn't earn being called the "greatest implement of war ever devised by man" (Paraphrased, George S. Patton) for nothing. But alas, I have fired nothing more than a puny rifle.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:49 pm

[h1]In Unrelated News[/h1]

She has this resonating tone to her voice.
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:07 pm

I haven't shot a gun yet and I'm 17, I feel so un-american...
guess that's because my families pretty liberal, and both of my parents are teachers
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:08 pm

stringtheory wrote:I haven't shot a gun yet and I'm 17, I feel so un-american...
guess that's because my families pretty liberal, and both of my parents are teachers
I'm significantly older than that and I've never owned a firearm. I do have a stupid overpowered crossbow I made when I had a bored weekend...
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:23 pm

... I never fired a weapon until I was 19... well actually I never held a weapon until I was 19,.
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Admiral Stoic Rum wrote:... I never fired a weapon until I was 19... well actually I never held a weapon until I was 19,.
same, I haven't even held a gun yet, I know my dad has a revolver at the bottom of one of his drawers but I really don't care enough to find it, or have him show it to me
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 31 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next