Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+48
Rboy474
Mech
Caoimhe
Snipehamster
Mister Nikel
Valikdu
Moodyman90
Karasu
Nightshy
NoodleNugget
Salculd
Jeremyrush
Ki-Tarn
jacky2734
Aonee
Vergil
Theta
Stringtheory
Mikas
Scyto Harmony
Rafafidi
Ametros
hawkeye92
tylertoon2
iLateralGX
Somber
CamoBadger
RoboRed
MrMagma
Katarn
Derpmind
WavemasterRyx
Quotidian
Kippershy
RandomBlank
Sindri
Scootayay
Kattlarv
SilentCarto
Cptadder
FeatherDust
Admiral Stoic Rum
Icy Shake
O. Hinds
Meleagridis
OneMoreDaySK
Ketchup
52 posters

Page 16 of 30 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23 ... 30  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:33 pm

Kippershy wrote:
swicked wrote:
Sindri wrote:Well, a soul jar is indestructible to anything short of soul-destroying attacks (the starmetal sword, possibly high power Enervation), or megaspell-level destruction. A balefire egg shoved inside you is at least equivalent to being in the area of a full megaspell strike; the only difference between the eggs and the bombs that destroyed Equestria is scaling up from several meters to several kilometers of blast radius. But that same egg a good distance away from something that'd survive most explosives on its own? Unless Balefire attacks the soul by itself there probably wouldn't be any effect.

My interpretation is that destroying the Jar is a matter of (ridiculous) destructive energy applied, so all the power of a balefire egg applied to tearing it apart has a good chance of working while a small fraction of that power pushing on one side doesn't.

Alternatively, it's possible that Blackjack's earlier attacks with the sword weakened the connection between the soul and the armor, allowing it to be damaged by other effects. But in general I don't see how a megaspell would damage a soul jar if it were truly invulnerable even to equivalent power from other sources. They don't have any sort of anti-soul effects or the like just from being made into megaspells.
Chapter finished! Yay!
Do we know for sure that megaspell-level destruction really works on soul jars? Prior to this combat armor I don't remember that being tested.
As for this rainbow balefire egg, it disintegrated everything within a certain radius of itself. Not so much blew up like a bomb, more like... well, a localized disintegration spell, it seemed like.
I dunno... that seemed curious to me.

We don't entirely know the dynamics of a soul jar, anyway. If it can literally be considered a physical, impenetrable jar that's containing a soul, even the slightest damage from the sword would create a hole through which the soul could be forced out. Again, I dunno.

Were we ever told where balefire eggs came from, anyway, in the original FoE?

Weren't they told to be eggs from a dragon with some kind've talisman or spell on them? Could be massively, massively wrong here though.
I don't remember that from anywhere. As far as I know, we were never told. Maybe you're remembering something from another fic, one that I haven't read?

Also, Swicked, what do you mean by "rainbow balefire egg"? They're all rainbow.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Kippershy Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:35 pm

I probably have it from somewhere else completely then.
I can't remember where I saw it written or anything to the sort, so yeah, ignore my post then.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:23 pm

swicked wrote:Do we know for sure that megaspell-level destruction really works on soul jars? Prior to this combat armor I don't remember that being tested.
No, we don't. We didn't actually see the suit destroyed. There was a big flash, and then it was missing. That's slightly above "falling down a waterfall" on the scale of "we'll be seeing him again".

Cptadder wrote:More like this Big Emperor which is what Hot blood borrowed from (That and Gurren Lagann where everything combines with everything else if you try hard enough)
Meh, Pinkie did it better. Pinkie Pie

swicked wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:If you put two souls in one jar, would their personalities cancel each other out?
Okay, so that probably explains why Twist -- or rather, Shujaa -- destabilized the whole thing.
???
Do Somber zebra have something other than a soul?
Or... wait, but... I don't get it. How do Twist and Shujaa's personalities clash?
I would think the angel and the cop would have had more disharmony... the angel always wanting to kill and the cop doing everything she can to stop her, even killing herself when she thought the angel might get at her children... though she didn't know it was the angel at the time.
Or do you mean they don't clash? Because they are hardly alike. They were just in a relationship.
More that Shujaa was stable, which means (if that idea is correct) that everyone inside the Phoenix talisman was balanced out properly. Add Shujaa's soul to the mix when she transfers it to Twist, and the balance is gone again. It doesn't have anything to do with Shujaa being a zebra, just that they'd found the balance point on top of a needle, then gave it one more nudge.

Edit: Actually, I take it back. Twist remained sane for some time before the Last Day. It must have been her soul that knocked everything out of whack after she committed suicide in Maripony Crater. Which makes one wonder, what changed in the Phoenix talisman to make the super-regeneration finally kick in?
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:00 pm

swicked wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:Also, Swicked, what do you mean by "rainbow balefire egg"? They're all rainbow.
I mis-remembered balefire eggs being green in the original FOE. I looked it up and they are not. Heh Shy
I thought they were green too. Whatever.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:09 pm

swicked wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:If you put two souls in one jar, would their personalities cancel each other out?
Okay, so that probably explains why Twist -- or rather, Shujaa -- destabilized the whole thing.
???

Do Somber zebra have something other than a soul?

Or... wait, but... I don't get it. How do Twist and Shujaa's personalities clash?

I would think the angel and the cop would have had more disharmony... the angel always wanting to kill and the cop doing everything she can to stop her, even killing herself when she thought the angel might get at her children... though she didn't know it was the angel at the time.

Or do you mean they don't clash? Because they are hardly alike. They were just in a relationship.
I think the theory here is that everybody else clashes, cancels out, and becomes sorta neutral. Twist and Shujaa were in love, and Shujaa specifically sacrificed herself to heal Twist, so they were too compatible and combined instead, messing up the system. Suddenly instead of everybody fighting inside and nothing getting done, the personalities actually surface properly.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikas Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:21 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
swicked wrote:Do we know for sure that megaspell-level destruction really works on soul jars? Prior to this combat armor I don't remember that being tested.
No, we don't. We didn't actually see the suit destroyed. There was a big flash, and then it was missing. That's slightly above "falling down a waterfall" on the scale of "we'll be seeing him again".

Your forgetting that LittlePip destroyed the Black Book (which was a souljar) with a Balefire Bomb (more of a meta level knowledge but yeah). I could see the Balefire Egg (Mini Nuke) failing to work and the actual Bomb taking out all the soul experiments once they vacate the area.

O.
Hinds wrote:
Kippershy wrote:
swicked wrote:

Weren't
they told to be eggs from a dragon with some kind've talisman or spell
on them? Could be massively, massively wrong here though.
I
don't remember that from anywhere. As far as I know, we were never
told. Maybe you're remembering something from another fic, one that I
haven't read?

I remember FoE stating that Balefire Eggs were dragon eggs infused with Necromantic Magics. Probably in the chapter where they find Silver Bell's bomb.
Mikas
Mikas
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Theta Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:30 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Theta wrote:Starkatterri was also spelled that way by the head of Yellow River. It's possible that the original spelling from ch 35 was the one that was a typo.
Ugh, where? Or were you saying that it was that way before it was fixed? It's supposed to be Starkatterri; Somber just sometimes forgets that in rather the same way that Kkat spelled LittlePip inconsistently.

Ch 42
"The only tribe that behaves itself are those creepy Starkirri, and every other tribe is trying to murder them."
Theta
Theta
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:10 pm

Mikas wrote:
O.Hinds wrote:
Kippershy wrote:
swicked wrote:

Weren't
I
haven't read?

I remember FoE stating that Balefire Eggs were dragon eggs infused with Necromantic Magics. Probably in the chapter where they find Silver Bell's bomb.

So it's not just me... Well that's good to hear, as I thought I remembered it along those lines (but couldn't remember the specifics)
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:36 am

Mikas wrote:I remember FoE stating that Balefire Eggs were dragon eggs infused with Necromantic Magics. Probably in the chapter where they find Silver Bell's bomb.
IIRC that was believed by a few people in-story, and possibly implied to be true, but never stated as fact. There were also people who said that balefire was just dragonfire set to transport the target directly to hell. But given that we know it's at least partly necromantic energy, resulting in long-term anti-life effects, occasional undead, etc. that can't be entirely true. And at least once I've seen a balefire phoenix egg referred to as a balefire egg (one that didn't explode though). So in the end we still don't know what a balefire egg is definitively.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:09 am

Mikas wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:

Your forgetting that LittlePip destroyed the Black Book (which was a souljar) with a Balefire Bomb (more of a meta level knowledge but yeah). I could see the Balefire Egg (Mini Nuke) failing to work and the actual Bomb taking out all the soul experiments once they vacate the area.
The destruction of the Black Book was never actually confirmed, I believe; that would be made difficult by the fact that any remains would be buried in highly radioactive rubble and/or flung a significant distance.

Mikas wrote:
O.
Hinds wrote:
Kippershy wrote:
swicked wrote:

Weren't
I
haven't read?

I see that Sindri's already addressed this, but I can tell you that, if that did ever actually in fact happen, it definitely wasn't there; balefire eggs weren't even introduced to the story until Chapter 26.

Theta wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
Theta wrote:Starkatterri was also spelled that way by the head of Yellow River. It's possible that the original spelling from ch 35 was the one that was a typo.
Ugh, where? Or were you saying that it was that way before it was fixed? It's supposed to be Starkatterri; Somber just sometimes forgets that in rather the same way that Kkat spelled LittlePip inconsistently.

Ch 42
"The only tribe that behaves itself are those creepy Starkirri, and every other tribe is trying to murder them."
Ah, thank you very much.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:42 am

Mikas wrote:Your forgetting that LittlePip destroyed the Black Book (which was a souljar) with a Balefire Bomb (more of a meta level knowledge but yeah). I could see the Balefire Egg (Mini Nuke) failing to work and the actual Bomb taking out all the soul experiments once they vacate the area.
This is true, but even Pip didn't know whether that would actually destroy it or just bury it under tons of radioactive rock and taint. I mean, every so often a villain falls down a waterfall and doesn't show up again. I'm just not ready to write the suit off yet, considering the weird way it resisted the starmetal sword. If it never shows up again, that's great and all...
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Theta Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:14 pm

swicked wrote:...just something I've been wondering about: if radaway can be recovered and used again by filtering urine, could healing potions and antidotes be similarly recovered? Assuming we were in an enervation-free zone, I mean.
It mostly depends on how they work. Healing potions are probably absorbed so they probably can't be recovered. Antidotes might work by absorbing the potion and then removing it through excretion. Radaway definitely works this way (Scotch mentioned that it makes her "pee rainbows" [the rainbows are presumably radioactive fluids])
Theta
Theta
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:47 pm

Theta wrote:
swicked wrote:...just something I've been wondering about: if radaway can be recovered and used again by filtering urine, could healing potions and antidotes be similarly recovered? Assuming we were in an enervation-free zone, I mean.
It mostly depends on how they work. Healing potions are probably absorbed so they probably can't be recovered. Antidotes might work by absorbing the potion and then removing it through excretion. Radaway definitely works this way (Scotch mentioned that it makes her "pee rainbows" [the rainbows are presumably radioactive fluids])
Correction, Radaway works via being magic and saline solution mixed into a bag with a preservative agent that tastes like orange paint to everyone but Blackjack. Radway via magic of some kind dissolves in the blood finds the bit of whatever radioactive particles you breathed in, ingested or you rolled around in, binds to them and then they are excreted from the body via peeing. Apparently Doc Oc and Razorwire have a method of taking that pee, boiling or mixing it in some way to remove the radioactive particles and let you re-use the Radaway a second time. Like any medication I'm guessing Radaway does not have a 100% binding rate so there will be some of whatever magic there is left in your rainbow pee.

Healing potions on the other hand are much different as are Antidotes. Healing potions are "used up" by the body as it takes the juice of healing goodness and translates that into lost blood, lost skin, and various internal bits that the bullets mangled. Antidotes on the other hand bind to an existing poison and neutralize it, IE they combine with the poison to form a non-poisony compound.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:19 pm

swicked wrote:
...removing the radioactive particles wouldn't heal you, though. They'd just stop you from being bombarded with more radiation on the inside. You would still be sick, because the damage would still be there.
Correct kinda, Radiation damage is a funny thing and that which does not kill you instantly can kill you later or you can make a full recovery.

Remember when Radiation is killing you it does it in three ways
1. Direct Cell death
Simply put a high enough dose of Rads will kill your cells dead, enough cells die you die, not enough cells die you develop some kind of condition and die later
2. Cell replication death
A dose not strong enough to kill you directly but is strong enough to stop your cells from reproducing, damage can be anywhere from that cell generation to as much as eleven generations later. Enough cells get die from replication death and you die, not enough cells die and you might develop a condition of some kind and die later.
3. Cell mutant IE Cancer
Simply put your cells survive but your DNA gets twisted up, everything from benign cells to malignant tumors, you die in a year to a hundred years later depending on the scale and severity of your exposure.

The two ways you are exposed are via direct exposure to raw raditiation and from long term exposure due to ingested particles leaching into your body and giving you constant low level exposure much higher than normal which kills via method 2 or 3.
swicked wrote:
I figured radaway was a specialized healing potion, personally. It corrected a specific type of damage that normal healing potions couldn't otherwise cure. The way Blackjack picks up rads is a bit inconsistent with your idea of her just ingesting particles, plus she can get instantaneous spikes if something hot lands right next to her. I don't think she could avoid this stuff by just wearing a rag over her mouth or a gas mask or something... their hazmat suits in no way neutralize the radiation entirely.
No but the line between "you can survive for twenty hours in this level" and "you can survive for twenty minutes" can be nothing more than a breathing filter and thick clothing as Chernobyl demonstrated. Radiation suits protect against both direct Rads and ingested rads.

In Hightower Blackjack and her crew are vulnerable to both types of radiation (Except the ghouls) the suits provide totall protection against particles assuming they have filtered air and are airtight. They could wander around in there for an entire day and except for Filter replacement be quite safe from Type 2. Type 1 requires lead (Or the magical equivalent) shielding and the protection scales with the thickness of the material used. Which brings me back to Radaway...

Radaway has to deal with three types of damage as I noted above, direct cell death (So yes it must be able to function as a healing potion to replace dead cells), it must also ID and replace cell replication cells as well. But as demonstrated by Blackjack it does not seem to be able to touch the third type, direct mutations and tumors.

swicked wrote:
Unless you are suggesting the particles could be getting in some other way?
I mean, you mention rolling in them, but that doesn't make much sense to me, either. How would a medicine you ingest clean particles off the surface of your skin and clothes?
It would not but the skin is very well able to stop most radioactive particles that you roll around in, but it can't stop things that get in via the eyes, mouth, lungs.

Besides, if it's just removing the particles, how would you explain rad-x? There's no way for a pill to make you stop ingesting particles.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Quotidian Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 pm

I always assumed that Rad-X and Radaway were basically just souped up magitek versions of the real life Radiogardase. Rad-X prevents ingested radioactivity from circulating quite as much, and Radaway flushes it out of your system.

In that case, Radaway could be recycled, as long as you could somehow separate the molecules of Radaway that had bonded to radioactive materials from those that didn't.

I'm pretty sure that's nowhere near how it works in real life, but hey, when you're a talking cybernetic unicorn I think realistic radiation poisoning is the least of your concerns.

Now I need to go read Blindsight again.
Quotidian
Quotidian
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 49

Character List:
Name: Drifter
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:26 am

Still working on my commentary... I'm really sorry I haven't finished it yet (I've been doing terrible with it too... what little I have to say is so boring...)

Also, I'm really sorry I haven't been drawing much lately... there's been such a huge deficit of Boo... It's just been... not very good weeks...

Anyways, enough whining, have a picture.

Spoiler:
http://wavemasterryx.tumblr.com/post/26883792156
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:12 am

swicked wrote:...yeah, I actually already knew all that stuff, as well as a lot more. I happen to work at a nuclear power plant. ^_^
Well you best my Navy funded thirty hour, three week Nuclear, Biological, Chemical attack response class as that was my last formal non Google-Wiki fu knowledge on the subject

swicked wrote:
The filters and suits really only protect against alpha and beta (which can only really wreck havoc once they get inside you), as gamma takes some thick lead and neutron takes a heck of a lot more than you can carry around with you.
There's excellent evidence that the human body can stand up to a lot more Gamma that our safety regs allow, Neutrons will still cook you but a heavy burst of Gamma's can be survived easily all depending on strength and duration but this only vaguely applies with magic Fallout style radiation or FoE magical radiation.

swicked wrote:
In any case, like everything, it all depends on how much is being carried over from the games. In Fallout, after you hit a certain rad level, you really do just die. Short of that you're more or less just permanently sick, unless you get too close to the limit and have bad luck, as that's when you ghoul-ify.
But even in Fallout the radiation does not act like proper radiation at least when it comes to emission sources so at that point it's kind of author fiat on what your radiation does and how. The easy way to to simply use what it does in RL since that can be looked at, quantified and measured easily.

swicked wrote:
ANYway, again, if you drink Radaway you instantly feel better, so it clearly is predominantly a specialized healing potion, meaning your theory of it just removing hot particles from the body doesn't quite work.
My Theory is not just that it does only that, but that it HAS to do that in addition to anything else it does. Otherwise Rad away would be useless in a lot of situations like breathing in the dust after a balefire egg explosion.

swicked wrote:
...but it's a healing potion that can, somehow, be recovered from the urine, meaning it ISN'T used up, which is why I wondered if normal healing potions somehow functioned the same way.
Depends on the conversion efficiency ratio. No medicine is absorbed 100% but if Radaway has a 50% absorption rate but healing potions are absorbed 90% then you need to boil and rather large pot of Blackjack

swicked wrote:
Alternatively this recovery method may only work for Blackjack, as perhaps they ARE just relying on its ability to remove particles and hoping that her natural talismans help her the rest of the way. The thing is that I don't remember being able to sleep off radiation sickness in Fallout... it just stuck with you until you took some radaway, so if that is the case then they're drawing more from real life... eh, I dunno.
But yes, the body can absolutely replace its own damaged cells (barring mutation) with time in the real world.
There was a New Vegas perk to let you lose rads as you slept, otherwise yes it was Rads are there until a doc takes them away or you drink a Radaway or...

The new and improved Blackjack Reserve's Mango Flavored Restorative Draft and Revitalizing Tincture.
From the finest Earth Pony Brewer in all of Hoofington who says
"Ahh Refreshing"-Master brew Pony Rampage
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:43 am

Nice picture, Wave. First things that came into my mind were TF2's Jarate, and Doctor Rampage being adorable in your drawing style.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:10 am

Swicked wrote:It's glowing blue, which is nice since radiation glows blue, but in FoE I could have sworn all radioactive things were green. Silver spoon is green. This warhead is just blue.
Ah, Cherenkov radiation...

To further complicate things on the subject of FoE radiation, the Fillydelphia crater glows red (I don't recall for certain if there are any other radiation areas that do; I think that there are, but I don't at present remember what they were).
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:53 am

Alright, finally done, and at a reasonable hour for once, even if it's still days late...
As always, a huge thank you to Somber and the editing team for creating such an incredible story, thank you all.
Chapter 47 Commentary:

Cptadder wrote:There was a New Vegas perk to let you lose rads as you slept, otherwise yes it was Rads are there until a doc takes them away or you drink a Radaway or...

The new and improved Blackjack Reserve's Mango Flavored Restorative Draft and Revitalizing Tincture.
From the finest Earth Pony Brewer in all of Hoofington who says
"Ahh Refreshing"-Master brew Pony Rampage
It's not mango flavored at all. There's no way I'd drink it, heh.

ketchup504 wrote:Nice picture, Wave. First things that came into my
mind were TF2's Jarate, and Doctor Rampage being adorable in your
drawing style.
Thank you very much, sir. And yes, Jarate was the first thing I thought of as well.
I was a little worried I made her expression too derpy, but I guess it's alright.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:30 am

O. Hinds wrote:
Swicked wrote:It's glowing blue, which is nice since radiation glows blue, but in FoE I could have sworn all radioactive things were green. Silver spoon is green. This warhead is just blue.
Ah, Cherenkov radiation...

To further complicate things on the subject of FoE radiation, the Fillydelphia crater glows red (I don't recall for certain if there are any other radiation areas that do; I think that there are, but I don't at present remember what they were).
So far, radiaton sources in Fo:E have been described as green, red, rainbow, and now blue. IIRC anything specifically identified as balefire has always been green (supporting the dragonfire connection), but nowhere near all radiation comes from balefire.

Real world, radioactive things range from blue to orange, and there are even a few that do glow green (look up radium dial watches, heavily irradiated glass or "uranium glass," etc.).
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:47 am

@Impact color.
The variety might indicate differential power levels, or different megaspells with the same effect. I can't really compare the detonation sites by size and color, mostly because precise details are unavailable and I don't remember any specific ones. Besides, the variation might just be what Somber or Kkat felt like putting as a color, to make the object stand out, or by accident.

In my head, and I don't know why, but I always imagined Hoofington as having a massive red cloud over it, or having a red shield.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomBlank Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:17 am

Image with special dedication to Somber:
RandomBlank
RandomBlank
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:38 am

Hey, just a little teeny suggestion on the most recent chapter.

I actually wrote a pony version of Sixteen Tons a while back, and one bit in particular I liked that you're welcome to steal if you want:

I got two hooves of iron and the others are steel
And if the front ones don't get'cha then the back ones will
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:46 am

...The chapter's done. And they used that part of the song.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:02 am

swicked wrote:
Cptadder wrote:There's excellent evidence that the human body can stand up to a lot more Gamma that our safety regs allow, Neutrons will still cook you but a heavy burst of Gamma's can be survived easily all depending on strength and duration but this only vaguely applies with magic Fallout style radiation or FoE magical radiation.
...of course it can stand up to more. That's how safety regs work. They're never borderline between safe and dangerous... but you're right, the margin is crazy large for radiation. The maximum annual dose is something like a fourth the average of what you'd need to experience to get any radiation sickness. But that varies, of course, as there is whole body exposure vs. specific areas, and there is a different scale entirely for the exposure to hot particles as there are both clean radiation and dirty radiation areas... but I'm getting a little tangenty.
Let me be make that clear as I was a bit vague in what I was trying to get across.
The Army Medical Field Manuel is among other things designed to teach Army Medics on who to give up on, who to fight for and who can be gotten back into the battle quickly. It is updated every four years (roughly) as technology advances and new techniques are added to the kit of medics everywhere. Stuff like "head no longer attached to the body" are still on the "keep moving, he/she is dead" but a lot of traumas like neck wounds, sucking chest wounds and severe burns would have resulted in a dose a morphine and an evac in the past now results in actual on the spot medical care because the field of battlefield medicine has advanced that much.

By comparison the safety regs and lethal dosage guides we set up in the 1940s and 1950s have not been updated in any real regard after sixty years of medical advances. So when I mean "our body can take much more Gamma than the regs say" I mean that not only is it low balled but that the levels of permanent damage are also set much lower because our ability to treat cancers and mitigate cellular damage is advance so much more. So when the patch rad detector turns black and lets you know you've got a week to live because you've soaked up X amount of 400 rems of radiation is simply not true and has not been true in the last forty years.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:19 am

Sindri wrote:...The chapter's done. And they used that part of the song.
Riiiiight... the chapter's done, and that's why I'm reading it, and they used (mostly) the human version of that song (one hoof/right/left), but there's still lots of edits going on, so I was saying if they wanted to mess with it... whatever.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:25 am

Cptadder wrote:not only is it low balled but that the levels of permanent damage are also set much lower because our ability to treat cancers and mitigate cellular damage is advance so much more. So when the patch rad detector turns black and lets you know you've got a week to live because you've soaked up X amount of 400 rems of radiation is simply not true and has not been true in the last forty years.
Cancer doesn't really come into it; it takes months or years for cancers to show up after exposure. I admit I'm not a nuclear expert or anything, but I thought black-badge meant you've taken so much that you most likely have the equivalent of 3rd degree burns throughout your body and you're likely to die of widespread cellular necrosis within a few days.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:34 am

swicked wrote:ANYway, again, if you drink Radaway you instantly feel better, so it clearly is predominantly a specialized healing potion, meaning your theory of it just removing hot particles from the body doesn't quite work.
You're still thinking in terms of real radiation, not magical Equestrian radiation. This isn't fast particles dealing genetic damage; it's little bits of necromancy clinging onto you, sapping your life force. Pick up enough, and your body can't sustain itself anymore. Rad-X makes you "slippery" so the magic has a harder time attaching in the first place, and RadAway binds onto those bits of magic and flushes them out of the body. Therefore, if you can separate the RadAway from the motes of necromantic magic, it makes sense that you could reuse it.

Though the "removing all rainbow colors except orange" idea also works. Rainbow

WavemasterRyx wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:48 am

SilentCarto wrote:
swicked wrote:ANYway, again, if you drink Radaway you instantly feel better, so it clearly is predominantly a specialized healing potion, meaning your theory of it just removing hot particles from the body doesn't quite work.
You're still thinking in terms of real radiation, not magical Equestrian radiation. This isn't fast particles dealing genetic damage; it's little bits of necromancy clinging onto you, sapping your life force. Pick up enough, and your body can't sustain itself anymore. Rad-X makes you "slippery" so the magic has a harder time attaching in the first place, and RadAway binds onto those bits of magic and flushes them out of the body. Therefore, if you can separate the RadAway from the motes of necromantic magic, it makes sense that you could reuse it.
I was thinking along a similar note. FoE's WMDs are magical, whereas ours are (usually) Nuclear in nature. Physical sciences don't really agree with magic, anyway. The same rules might not apply at all, aside from the basic immediate end result: mass destruction.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 30 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23 ... 30  Next