Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+45
Tacoman587
Silverink
Dambrony
Ditzy_Do0
Nightshade
Katarn
WovenTales
Plasticube
Snipehamster
Mr. Snrub
Technowolf
Downloaded Skill
Quotidian
Regolit
Bootleg
RoboRed
Vergil
Mister Nikel
CD
Luminous Lead
Somber
Admiral Stoic Rum
Exodus Hero
tylertoon2
Train Dodger
Moodyman90
FoolNeim
Evilgidgit
StoneSlinger88
thatguyvex
Meleagridis
Valikdu
Caoimhe
Ketchup
WavemasterRyx
FeatherDust
SilentCarto
Cptadder
O. Hinds
cb5
Derpmind
Stack Trace
Kippershy
Icy Shake
Harmony Ltd.
49 posters

Page 9 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 30  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 9 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Icy Shake Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:31 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:I do wonder who Blackjack's going to give the crown to, but my bits are on Splendid, given the chat with Dealer. And if nothing else, he's probably the one under whom the Society is least likely to collapse rapidly.
Uh, what? The Dealer couldn't have been more against Splendid.
"Is that pacified Wasteland worth living in without freedom? Is your goal to turn the Wasteland into one enormous Stable 99?"

To be honest, I had at that point forgotten that Deus was in play, and basically figured that she might go for him because in a few months/whenever, it would be easier to displace him than to rebuild the agricultural base they had there, and of the options he was the one least likely to be picked off by internal problems. But no, you're probably right about that.

SilentCarto wrote:Switching up the order here
P.S. I kinda like "BlackLance". Um, despite the potential, ah, connotations.
or maybe because of them

As an aside, the Ace of Spades is famously known as the "death card", though it's generally downplayed as general misfortune or upheaval. The Queen of Spades is generally said to represent a widow or divorcée. ...Hey, wait, I think we know one of those!

So, you bringing that up and the cutie mark discussion made me think. . .the suit of spades was once swords, so working from Blackjack's cutie mark, they could be the sword and the lance. . .Huh. I suppose I wasn't really going anywhere with that.

O. Hinds wrote:Urrrrrrgh… Okay, so do we need to change it again?  It's still not clear enough?  I'm sorry, but given how much work we've already done on it, I'm currently leaning towards "if the readers don't figure it out, it's their problem".

Sigged for greatness (I mean, if that's all right with you.Shy)
It makes me think of this:

Spoiler:

Is there any one us that isn’t emotionally screwed up?

"any one of us"

Last edited by Icy Shake on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 9 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by WavemasterRyx Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:59 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Urrrrrrgh… Okay, so do we need to change it again?  It's still not clear enough?  I'm sorry, but given how much work we've already done on it, I'm currently leaning towards "if the readers don't figure it out, it's their problem".
I really don't think you need to, Hinds, though I thought it was fine in the first place anyways.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:01 pm

@Swicked
Nice reacti-view! I laughed.

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:31 pm

Another amusing review, Swicked.Twilight Sparkle
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:55 pm

Luminous Lead wrote:Well, Blackjack really seems to have the luck of the draw.  It could have been her that went through that door that day, but she got lucky and lived on instead.  In fact, she gets put into so many situations where she should rightly die, except things fall into place at just the time so that she can survive.  Even dying doesn't kill her.  Twice, even!
That is a totally valid interpretation, but it still doesn't address the issue of BJ being apparently ignorant of her own talent.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:This begs the question :

A cutie mark is, at its root, a graphic symbol. A symbol has only the meaning people see in it. If we go with the hypothesis that the cutie mark when it appears take its imprint from the subconscious of the pony, this mean that the elements that gives the mark its significance need to be present in the mind of said pony.

Put another way, if the symbolism of BJ's cutie mark has something to do with the queen of spades' significance as a "tarot" combination, she must have known, at least subconsciously, said significance prior to obtaining her cutie mark.

I don't know if I'm clear ?
That does make sense. Cheerilee knew exactly what her smiling flowers meant, despite it having no overt connection to teaching.

That said, the full significance may not necessarily be clear to the pony, lacking context. They know what it means to them, but not what it might say about their destiny.

Warning: So much headcanon ahead.

Here's my sole example from the show:
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:15 am

swicked wrote:[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 9 Wonder03
Greetings minions! This is Trixie!
Now, it has come to Trixie’s attention that her reviews have come to be considered “expected” or “typical” and thus far from “great and entertaining”.
This is highly upsetting for Trixie, as she puts a lot of time and effort into her reviews!
For this reason, Trixie will be doing her very best to figure out how to make her reviews better. Funnier, more engaging, perhaps even more dual commentaries, although preferably with characters from within the MLP multiverse.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 9 Wonder04
*shrug* Trixie is brainstorming, but that is for later. More to the point, it has been quite some time since the last chapter update, so...

Press A to continue...:
Nice review, Swicked.  :)

Spoiler:
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:24 am

Icy Shake wrote:Sigged for greatness (I mean, if that's all right with you.Shy)
…Huh. Okay then.

Icy Shake wrote:Is there any one us that isn’t emotionally screwed up?

"any one of us"
Ah, thank you.

WavemasterRyx wrote:I really don't think you need to, Hinds, though I thought it was fine in the first place anyways.
Thanks.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:33 am

swicked wrote:But hey, now it’s party time, amtrixierite?
"amtrixierite" nearly killed me. Spike

swicked wrote:What in Tartarus is Glory going on about..? The few being the Society, the many being the wasteland?
Do keep in mind where Glory grew up. She's no stranger to oppressive police states, and she was raised to value security over freedom.

swicked wrote:But also, the attack on it missed? The hole’s coming out next to the building.
Wondering how that works.
Remember, the bomb was planted in one of the subterranean tunnels of Maripony. When it went off, it collapsed much of the complex into a huge sinkhole. The testing chamber was slightly beyond the radius of total destruction, and surface access was through this building, which is now perched on the edge of the sinkhole. It's presumably the same bunker Pip went into to meet with the Goddess.

swicked wrote:Additionally, for two mares that are supposedly of strong-enough will to be half the heads of unity, the green ones certainly fail to make an impression. I’ve no idea what, beyond their magic, they bring to the table.
Yeah, I sort of suspect they're either busy providing the telepathic substructure of the Unity, or they're more interested in communing with the melded mind of the Unity than in the physical actions of its alicorns.

And now I'm thinking of them as 4chan mods.

Mosaic and Gestalt are asleep, think about ponies!

swicked wrote:If you ask me, Boo is screwed-up enough that everyone else seems basically normal next to her.
That depends entirely on whether you consider a tabula rasa to be "screwed up".

SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:57 am

swicked wrote:She's not really that, though. Aren't we operating on the assumption that she has a soul?
She had real experiences in Hippocratic. Real, horrible experiences. She was all alone, starving, hiding from hulking monsters that came from ponies just like her, watching as those monsters killed other ponies just like her. Who knows how long she lived like that before Blackjack showed up?
She's still relatively new, but she can think for herself and responds to her environment. She's developing quickly, too. I'm just waiting for her to say her first word.

...so, to be honest, I don't follow what you are saying about her.
Having a soul doesn't make her not a blank slate. She started out with no experience outside of her little world of tunnels and fatties. No cultural mores, no morality, no understanding of anything.

"Screwed up" implies some sort of brokenness, while Boo is more like... not assembled in the first place.

swicked wrote:Edit:Still, there appears to be a hole in the ground with cracks shooting out of it. Unless the blast was directed directly upwards, shouldn't it be more of a crater and less of a sinkhole?
Nope.

SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:57 am

swicked wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:…Hey, that makes a lot of sense!  Thanks!
...why thanks?
I mean, if you agree with me, then kay, but you didn't do that...
I meant "Thank you for providing me with a new and interesting explanation of this."
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Technowolf Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:31 am

SilentCarto wrote:
Luminous Lead wrote:Well, Blackjack really seems to have the luck of the draw.  It could have been her that went through that door that day, but she got lucky and lived on instead.  In fact, she gets put into so many situations where she should rightly die, except things fall into place at just the time so that she can survive.  Even dying doesn't kill her.  Twice, even!
That is a totally valid interpretation, but it still doesn't address the issue of BJ being apparently ignorant of her own talent.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:This begs the question :

A cutie mark is, at its root, a graphic symbol. A symbol has only the meaning people see in it. If we go with the hypothesis that the cutie mark when it appears take its imprint from the subconscious of the pony, this mean that the elements that gives the mark its significance need to be present in the mind of said pony.

Put another way, if the symbolism of BJ's cutie mark has something to do with the queen of spades' significance as a "tarot" combination, she must have known, at least subconsciously, said significance prior to obtaining her cutie mark.

I don't know if I'm clear ?
That does make sense. Cheerilee knew exactly what her smiling flowers meant, despite it having no overt connection to teaching.

That said, the full significance may not necessarily be clear to the pony, lacking context. They know what it means to them, but not what it might say about their destiny.

According to wikipedia:

queen of spades - The Widow, or necromancer. This card symbolises independence, at its best. Power, intelligence, tactical thinking. The ability to streamline a problem, and find the solution without fuss. At worst, The Queen of Swords can represent isolation, depression and cruelty.

ace of spades - The Reaver. Indicates decisive ability. Cutting through confusion. Taking a radical decision or standpoint. The ability to see through deception, and expose it.

So her talent is to find simple solutions to complex problems.  Kinda like she's doing now.
Technowolf
Technowolf
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:45 am

@Cutie marks: There is so much headcanon and discussion about this stuff that I'm sticking to this: Until Somber clarifies exactly how cutie marks work for PH the story, it's still all up in the air.

Anyways, Guarddogjr posted this in the fanart thread, but I think it's relevant enough to post here.
Spoiler:

Source
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Speaking of the whole Lancer BJ thing what do you guys think the punishment for him sleeping with her would be? I don't remember it too well but from what I could tell Xanthe was exiled for just being around her. 

So I imagine sex with her must come with a pretty severe punishment. Castration seems like a possibility, execution maybe.

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:45 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
swicked wrote:She's not really that, though. Aren't we operating on the assumption that she has a soul?
She had real experiences in Hippocratic. Real, horrible experiences. She was all alone, starving, hiding from hulking monsters that came from ponies just like her, watching as those monsters killed other ponies just like her. Who knows how long she lived like that before Blackjack showed up?
She's still relatively new, but she can think for herself and responds to her environment. She's developing quickly, too. I'm just waiting for her to say her first word.

...so, to be honest, I don't follow what you are saying about her.
Having a soul doesn't make her not a blank slate. She started out with no experience outside of her little world of tunnels and fatties. No cultural mores, no morality, no understanding of anything.

"Screwed up" implies some sort of brokenness, while Boo is more like... not assembled in the first place
The terminology is "feral child".  There have been feral children for people before and for the most part after periods of learning about society and such the majority of them can now function in society.  If boo is a "feral child" then chances are one day she will be able to somewhat speak and function normally, but that's not going to be for a couple more years.  She's showing signs of rapid development, but that could have to do more with who she's a copy of.  While intelligence is highly dependent on how a individual is raised, there are genetic variables as well.  If the dna used for the blanks was one of the researchers for the labs, and the researcher had savant syndrome or something it would explain without a doubt her rapid development.

Think of it as like Einstein's children, if it weren't for one dying at birth and them developing schizophrenia they would have all turned out like his son Hans.  Even though they weren't super geniuses like einstein they had a massive disposition towards intelligence.

What I mean by that is intelligence may have a ton of variables and such there are certain biological and genetic factors that can give a individual a great disposition towards intelligence.

Boo may have been a magical clone pooped out fully grown, but if the dna used as a basis to make her was from one of the ponies working on the project and that pony had a genetic predisposition towards high intelligence that would mean she's not stupid or retarded, rather her mind hasn't had enough time to develop into her body.  The problem is we're thinking of her as how old her body seems, not how old her mind is.  Her mind is less than a year old and even if one of the lab workers used their dna as the blank's dna base it's still going to take a couple years until Boo is mentally caught up to her body.

That's going to be cute when she starts learning to talk soon.  Oh lord if the first words out of her mouth are "momma" to blackjack I am going to laugh so hard.

Also intelligence is determined relative to your age.  What I mean by that is considering Boo is less than one year old she's wicked smart for her age.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:27 pm

I like cb5's theory. Boo's body might be fully grown, but her mind hasn't had the chance to take in things as a normal foal would, so she's learning everything at once.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:47 pm

cb5 wrote:That's going to be cute when she starts learning to talk soon.  Oh lord if the first words out of her mouth are "momma" to blackjack I am going to laugh so hard.
And I will have diabeetus.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:14 pm

StoneSlinger88 wrote:I like cb5's theory. Boo's body might be fully grown, but her mind hasn't had the chance to take in things as a normal foal would, so she's learning everything at once.
The only way I can see her rapidly growing mentally to a adult is for to do something similar to the memory orbs in murky numbers seven.  The memory orbs in murky number seven that allow a unicorn to do a spell they don't know work through placing a memory of a unicorn performing a spell and placing the spell into the orb.  The reason why those memory orbs were in the prototype stage was that memories don't just instantly stick.  Flash memory(I forget what it's called biologically) pretty much is a extremely short term one use memory; like if a ball rolls down a hill in your eyesight, you notice it but not much else.  Short term memory is for things short term, now this is what those memory orbs were; they didn't stick cause they were a one off deal.  A long term memory orb for learning something would have to implant the memory several times to try and get it to stick, or implant the same memory in several memory orbs and implant them at the same time, or implant a memory of actually learning the information, or such.

Theoretically something like that could happen if a pony implanted their memories of school or such into a memory orb and implanted the memory into someone else several times.  It would be extremely difficult to do and would need a pony well verse in memory orbs to do so.  It would be hard to do cause you would need to only put in memories directly related to learning something and cut out all the fat and things not relevant to what you need to implant.

There is no way blackjack could do something like that cause sure some of it would stick, but knowing her she wouldn't be able to cut out the irrelevant information.  You would wind up with most of the information being learned, but also a ton of irrelevant information learned as well.  If someone like blackjack were to do that chances are the very first words out of Boo's mouth would be, "SWEET CELESTIA! Blackjack I didn't need to know why you like collars so much! And I really did NOT need to know you thought that about Lancer!"

Something like that would probably end badly in the single most hilarious way imaginable if Blackjack tried this.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Luminous Lead Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:33 pm

cb5 wrote:Boo may have been a magical clone pooped out fully grown, but if the dna used as a basis to make her was from one of the ponies working on the project and that pony had a genetic predisposition towards high intelligence that would mean she's not stupid or retarded, rather her mind hasn't had enough time to develop into her body.  The problem is we're thinking of her as how old her body seems, not how old her mind is.  Her mind is less than a year old and even if one of the lab workers used their dna as the blank's dna base it's still going to take a couple years until Boo is mentally caught up to her body.

I thought the reason they were "blank" was that they weren't given specific DNA or anything.

Goldenblood wrote:“Less than an infant.  And no soul, either, or at least none we’ve ever been able to detect.  A body made of pure biomagical flux.”
Either way, Boo seems pretty special.

Also, I was just rereading chapter 39 and Blackjack was thinking interesting things.

Blackjack wrote:What in Equestria did Goldenblood need a gun like Folly for?  He wasn’t a soldier.  Why would he need something that could pack the punch of a megaspell?
No, not just a megaspell.  A portable megaspell.  A single pony megaspell, one that would kill the shooter.
[...]

Maybe he’d planned on doing something that resulted in his own death... only he’d been arrested and sentenced to execution first?
What would you need a gun like Folly for?  Luna?  Celestia?  Discord?  A dragon, maybe?  Spike?

I'm wondering what would happen if someone tried to shoot the moon.

Luminous Lead
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 21

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Luminous%20Lead

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Luminous Lead wrote:
I thought the reason they were "blank" was that they weren't given specific DNA or anything.

I'm wondering what would happen if someone tried to shoot the moon.
Nah, a organic lifeform without dna would not be able to function biologically.  No cell can fulfil all of it's biological functions without dna.  It's like asking a computer to function without any os, bios or anything.

My guess is that since all the blanks look similar to each other that they used the same dna source.  The question is whose dna was it they used as a source?

As for why the blanks are all completely white and such it probably has to do with how they were formed.  Like Sanguine's family's blank copies looked like them cause obviously you would need the host dna and a cellular structure template for making them according to their need.  What I mean by that is blanks used for organ transplant would have to have the dna of it's host to avoid rejection issues and it would be easier to use the cellular template of the host to avoid wrong sized organs.  What I mean by that is if you don't have the host dna then there's rejection issues; if you don't have a medical scan of the pony then you might wind up with a lung too large to fit in the chest cavity.

Blanks weren't used for transplant and probably didn't need as much care when pooping them out.  Who cared if the pony from the source of the dna's cellular structure didn't match or was from a completely different pony?  No one was going to need their lungs.

However that also raises another question though, who's cellular structure was used for the blank's template?  The reason why that's important is that if you stick genius A's dna into genius B's cellular structure clone then you would wind up with a clone with a massive disposition towards intelligence.

Basically the question about Boo will probably only be answered if we find out whose dna was used for her and who was used as a template for her?

If I had to take a wild guess I guess there were two lab workers used as templates for Boo.  Imagine sticking genius A's dna into genius B's body.  It would explain why she's developing mentally so rapidly.  It'd be like sticking einstein's dna into tesla's body.

Also-
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:23 pm

swicked wrote:...that looks far more like a depression than a hole in the ground.
Okay, so technically speaking, the hole left by a subsurface nuclear blast is called a "subsidence crater". I think the point was that it's not a blasted-out nuclear crater like you see at Miramare or Fillydelphia; the surface just collapsed into the void created by the bomb. If you're thinking of the sort of sinkhole you get when goundwater undermines the sidewalk, then yes, you'll be disappointed.

cb5 wrote:However that also raises another question though, who's cellular structure was used for the blank's template?
Since the blanks are supposed to accept any genetic structure, I would assume the blanks are some sort of neutral, generic pony structure instead. Maybe some sort of averaged-out genome, which would explain the white-but-not-albino appearance.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:47 pm

That would depend how deep the device was placed. I'm guessing Kkat imagined it happening more like the Battle of the Crater in the American Civil War. Union miners dug a tunnel under the Confederate lines, crammed a bunch of explosives into it, then blew a giant fucking hole in the Earth.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 9 Peters10
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:57 pm

SilentCarto wrote:Since the blanks are supposed to accept any genetic structure, I would assume the blanks are some sort of neutral, generic pony structure instead. Maybe some sort of averaged-out genome, which would explain the white-but-not-albino appearance.
Dna and cellular structures don't work like that.  DNA and cellular structures have to come from somewhere if you are just cloning.  Creating a entire individual's from scratch is way beyond any technology we've seen in FoE lore.  We're talking like warp drive and time travel level advanced.  Unless you want a clone to have a foot coming out of it's brain you would definitely need a dna host to at least for the basis of your research.  The most likely scenario is that by default blanks, like boo, have a non-programmed default to use as a base, then when you need a specialized clone you insert the dna and cellular template of the pony.  The reason why is that having just cells without dna would just wind up with the cells dying.  If you have a base template for your cells then swipe out the template's dna for new dna that would work.

My money is on the way the machine functioned was that they used cells from a host, grew the cells in a culture in a stem cell batch, then when a pony needed a transplant reprogram the cells into the new template.

My idea in a nutshell:
Dna in cells from donor grown in cultures reprogrammed to stem cells for basic large batch growing -> Cells have basic template of how to grow and what goes where from another host(as in heart attaches to blood vessels and not to the rib cage or lungs) -> some pony needs a transplant -> blank's dna and cellular structure reprogrammed into template -> specialized blank

What boo is probably:
Dna in cells from donor grown in cultures reprogrammed to stem cells for basic large batch growing -> Cells have basic template of how to grow and what goes where from another host(as in heart attaches to blood vessels and not to the rib cage or lungs) -> No recipient -> cells develop according to template instead of specialized blank.

Reason why there probably is a basic dna and cellular structure template:
Without it the blanks would be hideous blobs like The Choir.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:33 pm

cb5 wrote:Dna and cellular structures don't work like that.  DNA and cellular structures have to come from somewhere if you are just cloning.  Creating a entire individual's from scratch is way beyond any technology we've seen in FoE lore.
I didn't suggest they developed an entire genome from scratch. I'm suggesting that they probably took someone, or maybe several someones if they needed to splice the genes together to get the closest-to-zero traits from different individuals, and deactivated all the segments that code for hair color, eye color, build, etc. They would probably have to choose some default value for things like muscularity, yes, but that's where studying the pony population to determine the "average pony" comes in.

Look... I don't want to say "It's just magic", but it's just magic. Directly manipulating genes is beyond their technology except when it's not -- like when they developed a method for reconfiguring normal ponies into alicorns. In any case, there's clearly something more-than-genetic going on, since you can insert a foal's sample and get a foal of the same apparent age, or give it an adult's sample and get an adult.

cb5 wrote:We're talking like warp drive and time travel level advanced.
Do I really need to point out that Twilight does both of these things?
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:00 pm

swicked wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:
swicked wrote:...that looks far more like a depression than a hole in the ground.
Okay, so technically speaking, the hole left by a subsurface nuclear blast is called a "subsidence crater". I think the point was that it's not a blasted-out nuclear crater; the surface just collapsed into the void created by the bomb. If you're thinking of the sort of sinkhole you get when goundwater undermines the sidewalk, then yes, you'll be disappointed.
Basically, I don't see how the bomb in that video could result in "deep ravines". It is not much of a hole at all.
Umm... you're looking at it from several thousand feet above, and this is a rather small bomb as nukes go. Images from that video were included in a DOE report dated Jan 1, 1971, (Atomic Energy Commission report TID-25708, according to WikiMedia,) so assuming it was filmed at the Nevada test range during 1970, that was likely one of the shots from Operation Mandrel or Operation Emery, which both mainly used bombs in the 3-20 kt range.

As for cracking, you can see the earth shatter before the dust cloud obscures it, and that's going to form some sizeable cracks. And remember, Maripony would subside a lot more than that because the infalling debris would be filling more than just the void excavated by the blast itself. It's a warren of tunnels down there, both pony and diamond dog, and that deeper crater would put more stress on the crater walls. And there are probably tunnels in and out, which would create their own ravines if they collapsed -- in the video, you can see the outline of the tunnel they used to plant the bomb collapsing at upper-left.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:16 pm

SilentCarto wrote:I didn't suggest they developed an entire genome from scratch. I'm suggesting that they probably took someone, or maybe several someones if they needed to splice the genes together to get the closest-to-zero traits from different individuals, and deactivated all the segments that code for hair color, eye color, build, etc. They would probably have to choose some default value for things like muscularity, yes, but that's where studying the pony population to determine the "average pony" comes in.

Look... I don't want to say "It's just magic", but it's just magic. Directly manipulating genes is beyond their technology except when it's not -- like when they developed a method for reconfiguring normal ponies into alicorns. In any case, there's clearly something more-than-genetic going on, since you can insert a foal's sample and get a foal of the same apparent age, or give it an adult's sample and get an adult.

cb5 wrote:We're talking like warp drive and time travel level advanced.
Do I really need to point out that Twilight does both of these things?
Splicing together that many pony's dna may work, but it would be a long shot and would probably just wind up with a pony rapidly dying cause something went wrong genetically.  You would have to be incredibly careful not to accidentally stitch in a faulty gene.  Think of dna segments as popsicle sticks, mess up one of the popsicle sticks and you get this-

I'm not saying that it couldn't be done, rather it would take on the order of decades of testing to make sure nothing went faulty.  The reason being is that you would have to have a entire batch of blanks studied for long term to see if they show signs of illness or such.  Even if it were, "It's magic", the blanks would have to be studied for decades to make sure there's nothing wrong with them before being used for transplants.

Short version; Even with magic doing it that way would require the blanks to be studied on the order of decades to make sure they are okay, otherwise you would wind up with all the organ recipients having the donated organs failing inside of them.

I'm not saying that it couldn't be done, rather if something went wrong it would go like this,
"A mysterious illness is sweeping across equestria killing ponies, we are unsure of what is causing it and the only things in common is that it's causing ponies to have their organs fail rapidly"
"Investigations are revealing no new information.  The mysterious illness is spreading even further and has begun to kill ponies in the hundreds"
"The mysterious illness is spreading like wildfire in equestria.  Luna is telling every pony to stay in their homes and contact quarantine officials if you are showing signs.   Thousands are dead now"
"So far the disease doesn't seem to be transmitted by air or blood quarantine officials have said after lifting quarantine.  However any pony showing signs of the disease are to report to a hospital immediately.  Tens of thousands dead.  Riots in the street have broken out by ponies unable to get medical attention."
"Riots have all but shut down Equestria.  We have a new lead as all the ponies effected have a medical history of receiving a organs.  All organ transplants have been permanently halted and investigations into what is causing all organ transplants have started.  We are unsure of what is causing organ transplants to fail, however we are urging any pony who has received one ever to immediately seek medical attention".

So no, I'm not saying it couldn't be done, rather if it was done that way and the dna used for all the organs had a faulty gene in it then welp congratulations you just killed EVERYONE who receives a organ transplant.

It would just be so much easier to use the dna of a pony with no family history of a genetic disease or such, then reprogram the cells to the organ recipient.

To use a analogy imagine a box needs to be closed.  Wanting to stitch together countless pony's dna to come up with a blank would be like wanting to come up with a sprayable cardboard liquid that come out of a can to form a seal.  My idea is just use duct tape.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:34 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
WavemasterRyx wrote:Though, should it be "wild, royal"?
Hm… I think that it flows better without the comma, sorry.
It doesn't need a comma. In this case, "royal rutting" is a compound noun, like "cooking pot" or "leather jacket". It's a wild "royal rutting", not a rutting which is both royal and wild.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:58 pm

FeatherDust wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
WavemasterRyx wrote:Though, should it be "wild, royal"?
Hm… I think that it flows better without the comma, sorry.
It doesn't need a comma.  In this case, "royal rutting" is a compound noun, like "cooking pot" or "leather jacket".  It's a wild "royal rutting", not a rutting which is both royal and wild.
Thank you, Dust, this is a perfect example of what I meant by being a decade out of date. My instructors never bothered covering anything like that...
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:02 pm

cb5 wrote:Short version; Even with magic doing it that way would require the blanks to be studied on the order of decades to make sure they are okay, otherwise you would wind up with all the organ recipients having the donated organs failing inside of them.
Magic!Twilight Sparkle

WavemasterRyx wrote:Thank you, Dust, this is a perfect example of what I meant by being a decade out of date. My instructors never bothered covering anything like that...
Celestia's mane, I would hope they never covered that!
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:18 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
cb5 wrote:Short version; Even with magic doing it that way would require the blanks to be studied on the order of decades to make sure they are okay, otherwise you would wind up with all the organ recipients having the donated organs failing inside of them.
Magic!Twilight Sparkle
Uhhh . . Megaspells couldn't even bring back the dead.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:41 pm

cb5 wrote:Uhhh . . Megaspells couldn't even bring back the dead.
...what? Detecting genetic errors and fast-forwarding decades of development are infinitely simpler than bringing back the dead...
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 30  Next