Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+16
IncoherentOrange
Valikdu
tylertoon2
Ketchup
Kippershy
StoneSlinger88
Meleagridis
Admiral Stoic Rum
OneMoreDaySK
Frost
Ironmonger
O. Hinds
Stringtheory
RoboRed
Harmony Ltd.
Aonee
20 posters

Page 27 of 32 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 27 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Stringtheory Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:08 am

CamoBadger wrote:Reading that hurt my eyes.

It also made me realize that the universe of 40K refuses to give common sense or logic to anybody. Because after the test run of that technology, who decided "I see nothing wrong with this, let's keep it"?
Honestly, Alicorn Twilight makes more sense to me.
Well, the warp has become more stable in 'recent times' (being the last 10k years) and that humanity colonized the galaxy 20k years before that, then fell into anarchy after 10k years for 10k years as the warp flared up cutting off travel and communication between the human worlds (also rumor has it that sentient AI had a hand in humanity's regression, therefore the Imperium has banned it), so essentially humanity is running on 20-30k-ish year old tech.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 27 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by CamoBadger Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:11 am

Okay.
Why would anyone willingly go through that shit? I'd tell whoever wanted me to do it to fuck off.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:12 am

Well, that and the fact no one can really fix it if it breaks since most of humanity lacks the STC's it used have to even attempt to replace the tech if it breaks kind of discourages tinkering in case it ends up causing worse things to happen...

Other then that all the other xenos races manage FTL travel rather easily, even the Tau who are a relatively young race can manage it easier then humans

@Camo, Because if you don't. They'll execute you for heresy on the spot. In short it sucks to be a human

Last edited by Guarddogjr on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:15 am

All of them. It's every emotion at once.

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:16 am

Execution for saying no? Deal. Death sounds about 10,000x better than going through that crap and apparently having an 80% chance to be brutally murdered by creatures created through human misery and hatred.

Yeah, go ahead and kill me, I'll just be over here laughing as the idiots who didn't say no are being torn apart and begging to die.

That is if I could ever understand why the technology wasn't thrown into a pit where no human could ever reproduce it after they learned what it was. Sounds more like a 'back to the drawing board' kind of thing than 'well this is the first solution we found, so lets just assume nothing better exists'.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:28 am

We've still yet to get into the Tyranids and the Eldar. Trollestia

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:29 am

Don't forget the Necrons.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:35 am

Guarddogjr wrote:Don't forget the Necrons.
You mean Lolcrons?

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:35 am

CamoBadger wrote:Okay.
Why would anyone willingly go through that shit? I'd tell whoever wanted me to do it to fuck off.
well, in the warp there are daemons made of pure emotion who can come into the material universe and fuck shit up because of various reasons, one they technically don't exist in this universe, being made of pure nightmares, so that means they flicker in and out of existence, meaning only around a third of your shots will actually harm them, also they can appear almost anywhere, not to mention the guy next to you will be seeing a sightly different thing because your worst nightmare isn't his worst nightmare, not mention the daemon's weapons are made of psychic energy which means they have special powers, and even if you manage to defeat them they'll simply go back to the warp ready to fight again (though because of time simply not existing as we know it in the warp, it'll take decades if not centuries for them to come back), plus there are always more of them. There are also certain ones who carry incurable diseases transferable by touch. Not to mention if you let the daemons win they'll turn the planet into a warp-realspace crossover thereby nulling the rules of reality and removing any hope you have of taking the planet back because it's now literally their home turf, therefore the best solution in above scenarios is to simply DESTROY THE PLANET before that can happen
Not to mention the individuals necessary for your society to keep functioning are weak links in reality who daemons can use to get into this universe. Not to mentions members of your populace keep getting seduced into worshiping the Chaos Gods, the daemon's masters, with promises of un-worldly power, usually ending up in summoning said daemons.
And this is one of many threats the Imperium faces on a day-to-day basis
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:44 am

CamoBadger wrote:Execution for saying no? Deal. Death sounds about 10,000x better than going through that crap and apparently having an 80% chance to be brutally murdered by creatures created through human misery and hatred.

Yeah, go ahead and kill me, I'll just be over here laughing as the idiots who didn't say no are being torn apart and begging to die.

That is if I could ever understand why the technology wasn't thrown into a pit where no human could ever reproduce it after they learned what it was. Sounds more like a 'back to the drawing board' kind of thing than 'well this is the first solution we found, so lets just assume nothing better exists'.
Don't worry, upon death your soul gets sent into the warp to be feasted upon by daemons, but don't be afraid, being a pitiful human, you won't remain conscious for that.

The only new technology the Mechanicum accepts are STCs (Standard Template Constructs) which haven't really been described, but seem to be some kind of massive automated factory, and are so valuable that each member of a scout team who found one for making higher quality blades was given a planet of their very own
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:45 am

swicked wrote:
stringtheory wrote:There are also certain ones who carry incurable diseases transferable by touch.
Oh, so diseases are immune to not existing?
These a warp diseases cooked up by the god of disease himself, plus I read somewhere that the worst's symtoms are so variable that it's impossible to pin down
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:56 am

In other words, camo again makes the best point. I am not sure the humans are the good guys in this, I bet the tau and the other races see what humanity do to themselves and went to war with the imperium simply because of what humanity has done under its leadership and seek to change that leadership for a much better, more advanced and free thinking leadership. or one they can just control like a puppet, sounds familiar? personally humans may not like the other races, but those races need to overthrow the imperium so a more sensical system could be set up.
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:56 am

Even more unfortunate: You and/or your planet gets Orked.

By which I mean that an entire fuck-mothering horde of green giants with terrifyingly resilient biology and a knack for the most gruesome, albeit random weapons that one can cook up, descend upon you and your mates and tear you several gigantic new ones.

Here's the fun part, their technology only works because of their innate racial psychic field known as the Waaaagh! If you, a human, tries to operate their equipment, it has a good chance of saying "Fuck you."

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:04 am

Ironmonger wrote:Even more unfortunate: You and/or your planet gets Orked.

By which I mean that an entire fuck-mothering horde of green giants with terrifyingly resilient biology and a knack for the most gruesome, albeit random weapons that one can cook up, descend upon you and your mates and tear you several gigantic new ones.

Here's the fun part, their technology only works because of their innate racial psychic field known as the Waaaagh! If you, a human, tries to operate their equipment, it has a good chance of saying "Fuck you."

perhaps, but thenagain why not release a hell hole gaping wound on one of their core worlds and let the hell monsters deal a blow? and if its just the ORk

sigh the wisdom in using such ancient technology with such an unstable reaction and consequence with a 20% success rate is just ignorance in the highest order, and no wonder they have not advanced for tens of thousands of years, its the bloody dark ages all over again, imagine if christianity wasn't a religion we'd be 1300 years more technologically advanced...

they would probably have invented a means by which to actually do a wrinkle and fold the fabric of reality to act as a means of travel by then. morons...
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:05 am

swicked wrote:What was your theory, Hinds?
Really blazingly obviously wrong after only a tiny bit of memory-jogging research.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:07 am

swicked wrote:
stringtheory wrote:
swicked wrote:
stringtheory wrote:There are also certain ones who carry incurable diseases transferable by touch.
These a warp diseases cooked up by the god of disease himself, plus I read somewhere that the worst's symptoms are so variable that it's impossible to pin down
Given diseases develop over time on this side of reality, I doubt the god of disease has much control over them... particularly since, if he's actively trying to kill off all of humanity, making the ones we already have that much more deadly would be the first thing he'd turn to.
Additionally, having the diseases in his own troops mutate our diseases into even more deadly strains. I'm wondering what this disease god can actually do if his domain is only weird stuff he's actually had within his domain instead of all disease.
Well, what he can do BESIDES making something that doesn't exist actually exist.

Edit:
Plus, if they can be infected by diseases that can bridge the existence/nonexistence gap, as well as the species one, the opposite is clearly capable of occurring. In a domain where time has no meaning and all beings merge into a single massive tide, they sound like an epidemic waiting to happen.
oh no, he doesn't want to kill the mortal universe, he just wants to provide homes for all the germs who he loves just as much as every other mortal being, and it's not so much kill as 'turn everyone into an undying zombie' because his power comes from the living's fear of inevitable death and disease, and their unconscious response to that fear, which is the "power of life", the motivating power of mankind and other races. His daemon servants and mortal followers usually demonstrate a disturbing joviality and joy at the pestilence that he inflicts, seeing the plagues as gifts and the cries of their victims as gratitude rather than agony. (quoted from here: Nurgle)

@Rum nope, the Tau are a highly expansionistic race who have a join-or-die policy regarding other races (at least it's better then the Imperium's just-die policy towards xenos who might be a threat or in the way), and their leaders supposedly control everyone else in the empire via pheromones, and possibly have a policy of forced sterilization towards some races, though I'm not caught up with the new fluff yet

@Iron here's 1d4chan.org section on Ork technology:
Spoiler:

Last edited by stringtheory on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:08 am

blazing similarity between 40K and this man's face:

https://youtu.be/RfvhyxEeikw
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:12 am

stringtheory wrote:
swicked wrote:
stringtheory wrote:
swicked wrote:
These a warp diseases cooked up by the god of disease himself, plus I read somewhere that the worst's symptoms are so variable that it's impossible to pin down
Given diseases develop over time on this side of reality, I doubt the god of disease has much control over them... particularly since, if he's actively trying to kill off all of humanity, making the ones we already have that much more deadly would be the first thing he'd turn to.
Additionally, having the diseases in his own troops mutate our diseases into even more deadly strains. I'm wondering what this disease god can actually do if his domain is only weird stuff he's actually had within his domain instead of all disease.
Well, what he can do BESIDES making something that doesn't exist actually exist.

Edit:
Plus, if they can be infected by diseases that can bridge the existence/nonexistence gap, as well as the species one, the opposite is clearly capable of occurring. In a domain where time has no meaning and all beings merge into a single massive tide, they sound like an epidemic waiting to happen.
oh no, he doesn't want to kill the mortal universe, he just wants to provide homes for all the germs who he loves just as much as every mortal being, and it's not so much kill as 'turn everyone into an undying zombie' because his power comes from the living's fear of inevitable death and disease, and their unconscious response to that fear, which is the "power of life", the motivating power of mankind and other races. His daemon servants and mortal followers usually demonstrate a disturbing joviality and joy at the pestilence that he inflicts, seeing the plagues as gifts and the cries of their victims as gratitude rather than agony. (quoted from here: Nurgle)

@Rum nope, the Tau are a highly expansionistic race who have a join-or-die policy regarding other races (at least it's better then the Imperium's just-die policy towards xenos who might be a threat or in the way), and their leaders supposedly control everyone else in the empire via pheromones, and possibly have a policy of forced sterilization towards some races, though I'm not caught up with the new fluff yet

@Iron here's 1d4chan.org section on Ork technology:
Spoiler:

in other words its not so much psychic as it is reality alteration. if they ever get smarts then, oooo, they don't need to get smart, they just need to thin they are smart, and do it collectively

boom

goodby thingies

also for the tau to really get smart, and since they are aggressive in their expansion, a puppet regime would stand to benefit their interests over an adversary they know will attack at a moments notice
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:12 am

That's the thing, daemons have limited effectiveness against Orks. Tactics-wise the daemons and the Orks are nearly two sides of the same coin, except that Orks have too much willpower to be possessed. It just results in the daemon being trapped in the Ork's mind and the greeny arguing with himself a lot. Plus, Orks outnumber every species by a long shot, possibly even the Tyranids, and once a world has Ork growth spores in its soil it has to be burned out.

Holy shit, I actually find this conversation to be stimulating.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:18 am

Ironmonger wrote:That's the thing, daemons have limited effectiveness against Orks. Tactics-wise the daemons and the Orks are nearly two sides of the same coin, except that Orks have too much willpower to be possessed. It just results in the daemon being trapped in the Ork's mind and the greeny arguing with himself a lot. Plus, Orks outnumber every species by a long shot, possibly even the Tyranids, and once a world has Ork growth spores in its soil it has to be burned out.

you know Orks' psychic field? Imagine what they could do with it on a grand scale...be glad they haven't figured it out yet, unless they already have. The Orks love fighting. In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war. Coincidence?
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:22 am

stringtheory wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:That's the thing, daemons have limited effectiveness against Orks. Tactics-wise the daemons and the Orks are nearly two sides of the same coin, except that Orks have too much willpower to be possessed. It just results in the daemon being trapped in the Ork's mind and the greeny arguing with himself a lot. Plus, Orks outnumber every species by a long shot, possibly even the Tyranids, and once a world has Ork growth spores in its soil it has to be burned out.

you know Orks' psychic field? Imagine what they could do with it on a grand scale...be glad they haven't figured it out yet, unless they already have. The Orks love fighting. In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war. Coincidence?

>convulses on the floor.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:23 am

sigh the one thing you cannot kill is an idea...
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:26 am

Warhammer does make for good inspiration, for all its insanity. I actually have an RP character based on the concept of the Ork Mekboy.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:27 am

Ironmonger wrote:Warhammer does make for good inspiration, for all its insanity. I actually have an RP character based on the concept of the Ork Mekboy.
Who, might I add, are genetically hardwired to create and come up with new technology, and repair stuff
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:32 am

stringtheory wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:Warhammer does make for good inspiration, for all its insanity. I actually have an RP character based on the concept of the Ork Mekboy.
Who, might I add, is genetically hardwired to create and come up with new technology, and repair stuff

I have him buddied up with what is, at its roots, a Germane Ork Deff Dread.

Pretty awesome combo, if I do say so myself. Now to balance them...

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:35 am

Ironmonger wrote:
stringtheory wrote:
Who, might I add, is genetically hardwired to create and come up with new technology, and repair stuff

Good luck with that, because everything in 40k is Up to Eleven, it's impossible to 'balance' it without making everything else equally powerful, which doesn't work in FO:E by my standards.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:42 am

stringtheory wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:
stringtheory wrote:

Good luck with that, because everything in 40k is Up to Eleven, it's impossible to 'balance' it without making everything else equally powerful, which doesn't work in FO:E by my standards.

Well...I'll probably have to use my normal process, which is essentially tearing away at a concept until I figure out what exactly I like about it, then build back up. Reverse engineering of concepts.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:59 am

@Admiral
There are no good guys in WH40k, just Nazis and alien Nazis. Also undead Nazis and extra-satanic Nazis.

EDIT: I'm not really a fan of the universe, in that I don't read the lore or play the games; but I reckon that the fun of it is in how cartoonish and ridiculous and absolutely over the top nonsensically grimdark everything is. To me, the orks epitomize 40k - they are brutal, violent, tree people whose idiotic belief that things shaped like guns ought to behave like guns makes those things guns and is the basis of their ability to make war. That and their enormous size and strength. Everything is ridiculous, and explanations are added AFTER the ridiculousness is, if they are added at all.

Last edited by Overlong Analysis Cobalt on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:04 am

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 27 542

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:41 am

A miserable piece. The Sex tag is inaccurate, nothing more than a passing mention, no more than three lines of text in those regards.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/89729/a-puppet-to-her-fame

I enjoyed it, despite its misery
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 32 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32  Next