Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+39
Exodus Hero
RoboRed
WavemasterRyx
The Holy Tuna
BrentOGara
_Sindri
Mr. Snrub
Overthepacific
Leoman
WovenTales
Admiral Stoic Rum
tylertoon2
Mister Nikel
Somber
Train Dodger
Snipehamster
Kippershy
AGurdel
Harmony Ltd.
SilentCarto
Retl
Derpmind
Stringtheory
Quotidian
Caoimhe
Valikdu
Vergil
CD
CamoBadger
OneMoreDaySK
O. Hinds
Sindri
FeatherDust
Icy Shake
Meleagridis
Ketchup
Moodyman90
jacky2734
StoneSlinger88
43 posters

Page 17 of 30 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23 ... 30  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Overthepacific Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:39 pm

Derpmind wrote:(Hell, here's a side-argument: None of PH's characters are plot-shielded from emotional trauma at all. Unlike, say, 99.999% of protagonists everywhere.) And for another example, well, I suspect there's more than a few people who read the story for the action scenes alone. (How much complaining is centered around the Legate?) Moreover, because the story's so emotionally powerful, it seems that many people who decide that the story's not for them feel the need to be very noisy about how it's terrible in every way, regardless of how much they read.

99.9% of protagonists are emotionally shielded? That is a massive error right there. I can see this in some of the lesser quality fics I read, but in the end that really cuts out like 50% of the conflict and you can really tell. That number is WAY to high, especially considering just about every story needs some sort of crisis for the hero to go through in order to become stronger.

People disliked the Legate scene because it was over the top and didnt feel like it belonged, not because they are just looking for action.
Overthepacific
Overthepacific
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 30

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Overthepacific Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Sindri wrote:
Derpmind wrote:Is Project Horizons too popular?
Well, it's a story that's magnificent for a small fraction of people and completely unsuited to the norm. As such it's unlikely to ever be popular but it's very widely known. This means that more of the people who'll appreciate it get a chance to do so, but it also means that there are legions of people who have no idea what's going on, or were looking for something simpler, or hate characters with depth, who see the story, decide it sucks, and become very vocal about it. Which then leads to further legions who join in without even looking at the work because they think that it's a cool thing to hate.

Without the name being out there, real new readers would never find it. But as the name spreads the hatedom expands exponentially.

Project Horizons was very popular at one point, and the hate was very small at that time for it as well, at least as far as I could tell.

Its not that since all those people decide they dont like it that "they just arent seeing the quality". Dumbing it down to the least common denominator they can relate to is something that will attract a lot of people, but it isnt the deciding factor in if they like it or not.

You disregarding their opinions because they dont think highly of it, and saying that they just dont understand, is the same as them disregarding your opinion for liking it because they think its bad. Just understand that some complaints have good reasons for them, and not everyone is looking to start a flame war because they couldnt get past the first two chapters.
Overthepacific
Overthepacific
Earth Pony

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Overthepacific wrote:
Derpmind wrote:(Hell, here's a side-argument: None of PH's characters are plot-shielded from emotional trauma at all. Unlike, say, 99.999% of protagonists everywhere.) And for another example, well, I suspect there's more than a few people who read the story for the action scenes alone. (How much complaining is centered around the Legate?) Moreover, because the story's so emotionally powerful, it seems that many people who decide that the story's not for them feel the need to be very noisy about how it's terrible in every way, regardless of how much they read.

99.9% of protagonists are emotionally shielded? That is a massive error right there. I can see this in some of the lesser quality fics I read, but in the end that really cuts out like 50% of the conflict and you can really tell. That number is WAY to high, especially considering just about every story needs some sort of crisis for the hero to go through in order to become stronger.

People disliked the Legate scene because it was over the top and didnt feel like it belonged, not because they are just looking for action.

Exactly this. As has been said many times elsewhere, "we were reading this for Fallout / Fallout Equestria, not some shitty anime."
I liked how Project Horizons added some mystery and things that were different but there is a hell of a limit and it's been breeched ten times over with the Legate, in my mind.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Meleagridis wrote:I think it's better to say that PH is one of the very few that has any believable reaction to trauma. Scotch's thing has been one of the things swung around the past few weeks, but so much so that it's one of the revisions in the latest chapter. Got a feeling it's going to be addressed hardcore in the next little while.

And Glory does seem too resilient. I mean, I can't remember the past little while too good... how many times did she really break down after that? Getting her wing back may have helped a bit, but after the merry-go-misery her life's become her situation with Blackjack should really be a reversal of... uh... Ante Up? I think that's where BJ was on the cliff, anyways.
In Scotch's case I don't see much of a problem. Yes, she has an irrational fear of machines. But her talent is for engineering, she loves to build things to make people's lives better, and she knows intellectually that it's a hell of a lot safer inside the tank than out, so her conscious mind can override that fear. She's making a conscious effort, alongside her father, to overcome the trauma of the past and become who she wants to be instead of what her fear tries to force her into. And she knows perfectly well that the rest of the party has their own problems to deal with, that they worry about her, and that distracting the combatants makes things more dangerous for everypony in this kind of situation, so she puts on a brave face and doesn't (outwardly) make a big deal about it.

Glory... I think that has more to do with us only seeing things through Blackjack's eyes than anything else. I think that she tries her hardest to not let Blackjack see how badly she's doing, partly because she's terrified that it would mess up their relationship and lose her the one good thing she has left, and partly because she thinks Blackjack is so much worse off than she is so Glory thinks she needs to be the strong one. We've seen the mask crack a few times, but as a general rule she's been pretty good at keeping up the act where Blackjack could see.

But criminy, Sindri. Or should that be Cynicdri? Sheesh! People may be scum, but people is pretty rockin' too, and not always at the same time. People is people, and saying otherwise with such a hefty percentage is a funny joke if there's a punchline, but otherwise it's a hyper-cynical over-generalization.

Thought about that survey?
Everyone, as far as I can tell, has similar potential to be intelligent and good and awesome. Any given human can, with the right mindset or under the right circumstances, become a great leader, a brilliant innovator, a big damn hero. The vast majority are content to ignore that, instead being apathetic, greedy, without ambition, and too lazy to actually think for themselves. The '90%' figure is one just pulled out of the air, but it seem accurate based on all the people I have met, and evidence from all through history, modern politics, and entertainment seems to support it. If you put me in a room with thirty random people, I will probably tolerate 2-4 of them and hate the rest. If you put me in a school with 1600 people for long enough to interact with all of them, I will come out with about 12-20 good friends including one or two who I will love forever, perhaps a couple hundred people I remain on amicable terms with, and no fewer than 1400 who I consider wastes of oxygen at best and bitter enemies at worst.

People are people, yes. But so many of them choose be so much less than they should. The average person, so far as I can tell from many years of examination, is terrible and stupid. Not because they're naturally evil or incapable of intelligence, but because thinking is hard and being good is a nuisance. And if I were to think for a moment that all people were generally pretty much the same, my next thoughts would probably be of genocide. As is though? Ninety people out of a hundred might suck but the last one is worth dying for. And since they all have the potential for awesomeness, no matter how few of them will ever bother to use it, every death is a tragedy. So yeah, I'm a cynical bastard, but that doesn't mean I can't also be an optimist.

As for that survey, I'm not sure of what exactly you mean or how such a thing could possibly be implemented. And even if it were possible I have better uses for my time than determining once and for all if it's 80% or 93% of everything that is shit.

Overthepacific wrote:Project Horizons was very popular at one point, and the hate was very small at that time for it as well, at least as far as I could tell.

Its not that since all those people decide they dont like it that "they just arent seeing the quality". Dumbing it down to the least common denominator they can relate to is something that will attract a lot of people, but it isnt the deciding factor in if they like it or not.

You disregarding their opinions because they dont think highly of it, and saying that they just dont understand, is the same as them disregarding your opinion for liking it because they think its bad. Just understand that some complaints have good reasons for them, and not everyone is looking to start a flame war because they couldnt get past the first two chapters.
If Project Horizons was ever liked by the majority of people talking about it, that was either because it had spread solely by word of mouth and thus only people likely to enjoy it looked, or because it was early enough in the story to not have developed into something distinct yet. It was also before I joined (at about chapter 12?), because from day one I saw more people hating the story than liking it.

And I don't simply dismiss those with views which differ from my own. Many good, intelligent, well-informed people have legitimate factors they dislike, and legitimate arguments against the story. Like Snipehamster; I disagree with him on many things but I would never claim that his opinions were not valid or that his expertise was not a major factor in making the story as good as it is today. But when a person's argument is based on "facts" which are simply untrue, either they did not read the story or they did not understand what they were reading, and their argument is invalid. When a person's argument is based on lazy stereotyping and the fact that other people dislike the story, their argument is invalid. When a person honestly prefers flat characters and simplistic plots, well, that's a valid preference but they should never have come here and their objections are not relevant to a discussion of this story.

I'm sure that the thread in question has several valid arguments buried in it somewhere, but I didn't find them before the sheer volume of stupidity convinced me that I had better things to do with my limited time. An argument with a rational person with opposing views is fun, informative, and carries a good chance of changing my own flawed beliefs for the better. An argument with a mindless ball of hate, or with someone who refuses to think, is less productive than feeding the trolls, because at least someone is amused by the latter.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Overthepacific wrote:99.9% of protagonists are emotionally shielded? That is a massive error right there. I can see this in some of the lesser quality fics I read, but in the end that really cuts out like 50% of the conflict and you can really tell. That number is WAY to high, especially considering just about every story needs some sort of crisis for the hero to go through in order to become stronger.

We've all read plenty of stories that have protagonists go through emotional trauma, but I find that most stories use that trauma as either character trait or a character flaw. It's just the nature of stories in general that I was talking about for a second there.

I mentioned the Legate scene because many people are mentioning that they didn't feel like complaining or "noticed the other flaws in the story" until they read the Legate scene. As far as action goes, it actually wasn't over the top. The Legate was either standing still invincible or one-shoting characters one after another. So I'd say that the action was disappointing.
Kippershy wrote:Exactly this. As has been said many times elsewhere,
"we were reading this for Fallout / Fallout Equestria, not some shitty
anime."
I liked how Project Horizons added some mystery and things
that were different but there is a hell of a limit and it's been
breeched ten times over with the Legate, in my mind.

Jeez, is the Legate the new Original Sin? For the last time, Somber's rewriting that scene and others in the chapter.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:37 pm

Sindri wrote: And even if it were possible I have better uses for my time than determining once and for all if it's 80% or 93% of everything that is shit.

Yes, actually implementing a survey to put numbers on your own opinions would be infeasible if at all possible. But if you could, wouldn't you do it? You're too smart to convince me you've never considered the possibility that you may be wrong.
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Meleagridis wrote:
Sindri wrote: And even if it were possible I have better uses for my time than determining once and for all if it's 80% or 93% of everything that is shit.

Yes, actually implementing a survey to put numbers on your own opinions would be infeasible if at all possible. But if you could, wouldn't you do it? You're too smart to convince me you've never considered the possibility that you may be wrong.
If the information could be had for a reasonable price, of course. And if I was presented with evidence which contradicted my beliefs here, I'd rework them or discard them entirely. But neither of those things is likely to happen, so this will remain a question of philosophy.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Isn't the whole 90% stuff kinda getting off-topic a bit?
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 17 4206338362
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Yes. I will not be responding to further comments or questions on the subject unless they're moved to PMs or the chat thread. Apologies.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:52 pm

Derpmind wrote:
Overthepacific wrote:99.9% of protagonists are emotionally shielded? That is a massive error right there. I can see this in some of the lesser quality fics I read, but in the end that really cuts out like 50% of the conflict and you can really tell. That number is WAY to high, especially considering just about every story needs some sort of crisis for the hero to go through in order to become stronger.

We've all read plenty of stories that have protagonists go through emotional trauma, but I find that most stories use that trauma as either character trait or a character flaw. It's just the nature of stories in general that I was talking about for a second there.

I mentioned the Legate scene because many people are mentioning that they didn't feel like complaining or "noticed the other flaws in the story" until they read the Legate scene. As far as action goes, it actually wasn't over the top. The Legate was either standing still invincible or one-shoting characters one after another. So I'd say that the action was disappointing.
Kippershy wrote:Exactly this. As has been said many times elsewhere,
"we were reading this for Fallout / Fallout Equestria, not some shitty
anime."
I liked how Project Horizons added some mystery and things
that were different but there is a hell of a limit and it's been
breeched ten times over with the Legate, in my mind.

Jeez, is the Legate the new Original Sin? For the last time, Somber's rewriting that scene and others in the chapter.

Rewriting it or not, at this moment of time and what I had read previously is what I am basing my opinion off of.
How can you expect me to make a new opinion when we don't even have the newly revised material to read yet?
More-so, knowing the plans for him doesn't help any.

Face it, some people aren't going to like some things.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:41 pm

Just to interject, because I'm feeling a lot of opposition and negativity here.

Liking PH is something people who give it a shot will usually decide for themselves, and what they like or dislike about it is entirely up to them. There shouldn't be 'they don't see the 'flaws' because they're stupid or somesuch' or 'they don't see what is good about it', because the criteria is different for everyone.

Some people don't like the Legate. That's fine, and it made an interesting discussion. A more uncomfortably-heated one than usual, but interesting nonetheless. Some people don't see a problem with the Legate, perhaps because they aren't reading it for the Legate, or the villains, or the fighting.

Maybe they like something else. Everyone is different, I don't like it when people try to impose opinions about what they like on others, though everyone does it, I do it, and it just seems to happen. The little pointless arguments over what X person thinks the flaws are in the story are becoming tiresome.

I forgot what I was really getting at there. Hmm.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:56 pm

Well, there's "I don't like it" and "this is wrong or weird because I don't like it."
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Overthepacific Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Sindri wrote:
Overthepacific wrote:Project Horizons was very popular at one point, and the hate was very small at that time for it as well, at least as far as I could tell.

If Project Horizons was ever liked by the majority of people talking about it, that was either because it had spread solely by word of mouth and thus only people likely to enjoy it looked, or because it was early enough in the story to not have developed into something distinct yet. It was also before I joined (at about chapter 12?), because from day one I saw more people hating the story than liking it.

I dont know about that. I joined at 14, and I saw just about all positive on the story. The serious complaints and hate seemed to really start around mid twenties as far as I could tell. So for more people hating it than liking it, I havent seen at all up till recently.

And it was popular. Mostly because someone deemed it good enough to have its own topic on eqd, so it got advertised a lot more. Advertising and people saying good things about it are what made it popular, really.

Sindri wrote:And I don't simply dismiss those with views which differ from my own. Many good, intelligent, well-informed people have legitimate factors they dislike, and legitimate arguments against the story. Like Snipehamster; I disagree with him on many things but I would never claim that his opinions were not valid or that his expertise was not a major factor in making the story as good as it is today. But when a person's argument is based on "facts" which are simply untrue, either they did not read the story or they did not understand what they were reading, and their argument is invalid. When a person's argument is based on lazy stereotyping and the fact that other people dislike the story, their argument is invalid.

I will admit, a lot of unneeded flaming is going around about the story right now, but just as much serious negative feedback is as well. Starting to read someones opinions with a predisposition that the argument is going to be invalid because they didnt like a certain thing that you thought they were supposed to like is never going to end in an agreement. Tell them you think that them liking it that way is wrong, so you can really hear what they have to say instead of automatically invalidating it.

When a person honestly prefers flat characters and simplistic plots, well, that's a valid preference but they should never have come here and their objections are not relevant to a discussion of this story.

Just in case this is somehow inadvertently directed at me, I'd like to reiterate that I'm not going anywhere.
Overthepacific
Overthepacific
Earth Pony

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Overthepacific Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:29 pm

Derpmind wrote:

It all works towards the common goal of developing the character, so just about all the emotional trauma throughout most stories is going to be necessary to the story, even in PH, where it doesnt seem like it at times. So the 99.9% is still just too high.

Derpmind wrote:I mentioned the Legate scene because many people are mentioning that they didn't feel like complaining or "noticed the other flaws in the story" until they read the Legate scene.
As far as action goes, it actually wasn't over the top. The Legate was either standing still invincible or one-shoting characters one after another. So I'd say that the action was disappointing.[/quote]

I had been building up my problems with the story for 20 something chapters now, the Legate is what really pushed it across the line to the point I needed to say something. Im sure Im not the only one who feels that way

Derpmind wrote:As far as action goes, it actually wasn't over the top. The Legate was
either standing still invincible or one-shoting characters one after
another. So I'd say that the action was disappointing.

I really disagree with that one. Invincible and elemental powers with a zebra is way over the top.

Derpmind wrote:Jeez, is the Legate the new Original Sin? For the last time, Somber's rewriting that scene and others in the chapter.

Hey, you brought it up again. I'm waiting for the revision as well. Im just talking about it how it stands now.
Overthepacific
Overthepacific
Earth Pony

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Overthepacific Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Sindri wrote:Yes. I will not be responding to further comments or
questions on the subject unless they're moved to the chat thread.

Oh good, somewhere else to start up some trouble.

Caoimhe wrote:Well, there's "I don't like it" and "this is wrong or weird because I don't like it."

With them, I think its more "I dont really like this because I think it is wrong or weird.". I'd vouch for at least giving a counter argument a chance before chalking it down to this.
Overthepacific
Overthepacific
Earth Pony

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm most likely generalizing or completely wrong on this, but from the past few weeks it's like chapter 54 was the final straw for a lot of people of what they could let slide for what they could deem acceptable to be in the story.
What's been going on since the chapter came out has been the building hype backlash for Project Horizons as a whole unleashed.

Once again, just a most likely inaccurate, generalization of an observation I've had. Honestly this is the first time I've paid this much attention to the discussion when something a lot of people had a problem with in a chapter came up, and there was a few months back where I didn't even drop by in this thread at all.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Overthepacific Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:I'm most likely generalizing or completely wrong on this, but from the past few weeks it's like chapter 54 was the final straw for a lot of people of what they could let slide for what they could deem acceptable to be in the story.
What's been going on since the chapter came out has been the building hype backlash for Project Horizons as a whole unleashed.

So...What? You think that people are hopping on the hate bandwagon because of 54?

Personally, it took me almost a week to bring myself all the way through the chapter, I just did not have the drive to want to keep going at certain parts, and its been happening more and more recently, which, once I realized this, really made me start thinking.

But then I got to the end of the chapter and was just confused at what I had read, so I really thought about it, and decided to finally say something here, rather than keep it to myself, or the flocks of former fans that harbor nothing but hate now.

The only good part of that chapter in my opinion, was the part with psalm. Rewriting the events of the original usually arent that interesting to me, and it feels like sometimes its unnecessary and overstepping the boundaries the fic should have in relation to the original, but I thought that particular scene was an interesting twist. It was well put together for what it was, and showed the beginning of what psalm would turn into. Otherwise, the chapter was really crossing the line for a lot of reasons.
Overthepacific
Overthepacific
Earth Pony

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:41 pm

There's probably no way for me to properly phrase what I really mean, but I didn't mean to imply that.

My mistake was probably from using the phrase "hype backlash".
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Overthepacific Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:46 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:There's probably no way for me to properly phrase what I really mean, but I didn't mean to imply that.

My mistake was probably from using the phrase "hype backlash".

I was confused at first about what you really meant, to be honest.
What did you mean? That 54 caused all of this by making everyone look back? Or that it started building up hate by itself?
Overthepacific
Overthepacific
Earth Pony

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:59 pm

What I meant, or at least think I meant, was that there's been pressure building for a long while and 54 was the breaking point for many.

Could have been they've been letting things slide till now, or the quality of the chapter wasn't up to par for them and what they expect, could just be a freak occurrence that all this seemingly exploded after 54.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:04 pm

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 17 12550__safe_animated_50c4b92959eede456d7159f6_artist-myminiatureequine_abandon-thread_what-quo-s-going-on-in-this-thread.gif
BrentOGara wrote:... if Scotch has a phobia that perfectly innocent machines are going to eat/hurt her, perhaps a machine that really does want to kill everybody just seems normal and unremarkable to her??? [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 17 908227573
I love this idea. "I repair little shits like you before breakfast!"
And then she whips out her super architecture powers and drops the roof on it.
swicked wrote:...who in the world would call Sanguine a hero?
I think Brent sort of touched on a valid point, but it's sort of irrelevant to the argument conversation at hand. The answer is, Sanguine himself would call himself a hero. One who's been forced by circumstance to do some terrible things, but all for the good of those he loves. It's the old maxim that every character believes they're the hero of their own story. It doesn't make him good or justified by any means -- it's just his own understandable reasons for being a monster. I appreciated having that rather than him just doing it for the evulz.

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:But if Somber has already said that she's not going to go back and perform radical changes to the last half of the story, I'm not sure what continuing to advocate that as the only way forward for the story will really accomplish.
All my "THIS". I understand and support everyone's right to express their frustration with things that they don't like, but I'm getting pretty tired of hearing so much vitriol directed at something that I love. Hell, I was tired of it over a week ago. That doesn't mean I don't love every single solitary detail, but... well, what's done is done, you know? And I'm willing to let Somber show me where each of these threads is going before I pass judgement.

I think we all know what that's like -- I don't plan to ever rewatch Spike at your Service, but its existence doesn't damage my enjoyment of FiM going forward.

WavemasterRyx wrote:Well, progress is going a little slower than I'd like, but it's getting there.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/e9f90cadb74d468f771c67894b272c81/tumblr_mjnh3qcgPB1r8cms2o1_1280.png
I can't wait to see this complete! Rainbow

Overthepacific wrote:I was confused at first about what you really meant, to be honest.
What did you mean? That 54 caused all of this by making everyone look back? Or that it started building up hate by itself?
I think he's saying that some people had been building up annoyance at certain aspects with eyerolls and faint grumbles, and 54 pushed many of them far enough to actually say something, and when they did, it came out loud and vicious. That's my perception of the situation, anyway.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:I'm most likely generalizing or completely wrong on this, but from the past few weeks it's like chapter 54 was the final straw for a lot of people of what they could let slide for what they could deem acceptable to be in the story.

Once again, just a most likely inaccurate, generalization of an observation I've had. Honestly this is the first time I've paid this much attention to the discussion when something a lot of people had a problem with in a chapter came up, and there was a few months back where I didn't even drop by in this thread at all.

I doubt it's REALLY the final straw for some people. The minority has just been very vocal, sometimes more vocal than they should be for a bunch of them. I do hope Somber is not seeing the controversy for more than it really is.

I hate to bring this up again but I had an observation: 4chan is unmoderated and, for the most part, so is this thread. Actually I can't remember the last time anyone had to step in here to specifically say to knock it off under penalty of moderator action. What I'm getting at is that this is a very wonderful community. :)
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Caoimhe wrote:I hate to bring this up again but I had an observation: 4chan is unmoderated
Actually, not so.
4chan is moderated by moderators, janitors and the users themselves.
We have moderators who can ban members as they so desire if they see fit, though that's not often needed to be.
We have janitors, aka scruffy, who can delete threads or posts and request bans a lot faster than a normal user can.
Then there's the community moderation of the posters themselves. While not official, they will do what they can to cull anything they see as a poor show and asshattery.

It's not the same type of moderation, no, but it's still moderation.

Just to clear things up.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:30 pm

You are correct ma'am. This forum is VERY well behaved compared to most...

Well, compared to every other forum I've been on. So luckily we barely have to do anything.

Doesn't mean I'm not watching though. Twilight crazy
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:31 pm

So Big Brother IS watching. Yell
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:31 pm

HEY CAMO, IM GOING TO POST CLOPFIC AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO STO-
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Train Dodger Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:01 pm

Meleagridis wrote:Anybody remember the other entries for the title of Blackjack: The Song, or have some new ones?

When I think of Littlepip, I imagine sweeping, heroic orchestral scores.

When I think of Blackjack, on the other hand, the motifs that pop into my head are completely different. Flamenco guitar music, mariachi, and indie/punk rock (especially with female lead vocals).

Like this. Or this. Or even this. Yeah, I know. Weird, huh?

Actually, now that I think of it, anything by Screaming Females would work. Marissa Paternoster's voice sounds almost like what I'd imagine Blackjack's singing to be like if she had a musical segment, and her lyrics are always just depressing and self-deprecating enough that it fits perfectly.

Incidentally, this has to be one of the strangest music videos I've seen in a long, long time:

Spoiler:
Train Dodger
Train Dodger
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Overthepacific Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:23 pm

CamoBadger wrote:You are correct ma'am. This forum is VERY well behaved compared to most...

Well, compared to every other forum I've been on. So luckily we barely have to do anything.

Doesn't mean I'm not watching though. [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 17 3932362616

What would be considered not behaved here?
Overthepacific
Overthepacific
Earth Pony

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Robo, you idiot...no more leaving the thread at the precipice of a thread jump and waiting for it to do so before coming back...then you miss 20 pages...

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:
Caoimhe wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:
It's just a joke on the karma-rank titles you get from FO2 onward.

See, I shouldn't have to know that before hand, so that's a fault.
There's an argument to be made that FOE is designed to be a parody, and thus familiarity with the source material is necessary... but it's really not necessary for most of the story, just for some jokes, and most of those pass on by quickly or are innocuous if you don't know they're jokes. The Lightbringer thing kinda doesn't and isn't, so it makes sense that it'd stick out for you.
I knew virtually nothing about Fallout when I first read FoE.
Derpmind wrote:I remember her saying that she wasn't going to read any sidefics until after she finished FoE, but no direct statements about PH... maybe I'm misremembering something? I have bad memory sometimes.
Last I heard, Kkat was waiting until PH was finished to read it.

O. Hinds wrote:
Meleagridis wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
@BrentOGara:
Sorry to be a bother, but would you perhaps mind stoping changing the titles of your posts? You've of course no obligation to do this, but I'm finding it a bit annoying.
I gotta plead otherwise. They're like little Easter eggs.
Eh, different people are bothered by different things. It's not that much of a problem, and I would't want to curtail your enjoyment.
I didn't even bloody notice them. *shrug*

Kippershy wrote:
Meleagridis wrote:Completely unrelated:

Rainy Mood, one of the sites best used in conjunction with Project Horizons, has Jonny Cash's Hurt on as music of the day. Hurt was one of the songs brought up forever ago as one of Blackjack's potential theme songs. Just thought that was neat.

Anybody remember the other entries for the title of Blackjack: The Song, or have some new ones?

I suggested Hurt, Robored suggested Again And Again by Samantha James
Spoiler:
which was because of the chance that Glory had died in what.. 27 or 28?
Flash fillies industries, either way.

I remember that one clearly because how hard it hit me.
No, that was chosen for Glory grieving after Blackjack's death back in 33 onwards (Had it been a permanent endeavor. Sadly, it wasn't. I still have the song on hand in case a similar event arises again.).

Quotidian wrote:I've been staying out of the discussion because frankly I don't have anything to say beyond what's already been hashed out.
Ditto.

Moodyman90 wrote:
Spoiler:
I've largely thought of it in a similar way.

WavemasterRyx wrote:
I probably won't be able to finish this tonight, but I think it's off to a good start.

Spoiler:
Boo is always welcome. Rainbow
Derpmind wrote:Is Project Horizons a little too popular?
Wish I knew. I have no idea what the number of readers is, but I do see it discussed by many who have never left a comment here or at the original comments thread. No idea if it is "too popular" or not.
Derpmind wrote:
Doesn't mean those who disliked it can't complain/discuss about how much they think it was a bad idea.

CamoBadger wrote:You are correct ma'am. This forum is VERY well behaved compared to most...

Doesn't mean I'm not watching though. Twilight crazy
Caoimhe wrote:So Big Brother IS watching. Yell
Except for me, because I keep pulling stupid shit like ignoring this thread for a week. Scootaloo
But I'll echo what Camo has said. Plus, we like to have fun.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 pm

Kippershy wrote:4chan is moderated by moderators, janitors and the users themselves.
Yep. Old joke:
anon wrote:Man, fuck Russia.
Agreed.
I like Russia! [user has been banned for this post]
I like choco milk!
I love choco milk!
I prefer regular. [user has been banned for this post]
Can't we all just get along? [user has been banned for this post]
Granted that was /b/, but the point stands.

Train Dodger wrote:Like this. Or this. Or even this. Yeah, I know. Weird, huh?
You would of course post those the moment I left an area where I could freely listen. How
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 30 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23 ... 30  Next