Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+41
Jeremyrush
Farnham
Kirbuu
Snipehamster
Quotidian
Ki-Tarn
Ametros
Paper Airplane
Mister Nikel
Orm
MrMagma
f1r3w4rr10r
Katarn
RandomBlank
hawkeye92
OneMoreDaySK
Derpmind
tylertoon2
Necr0maNceR
Ketchup
Moodyman90
jacky2734
Elexius
Admiral Stoic Rum
O. Hinds
FeatherDust
CamoBadger
Mobius04
Valikdu
Rboy474
Scyto Harmony
Kippershy
Meleagridis
Aonee
Sindri
RoboRed
Kattlarv
NoodleNugget
Somber
SilentCarto
WavemasterRyx
45 posters

Page 10 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20 ... 30  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 10 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Sindri Tue May 29, 2012 5:22 pm

Never liked Steven King. Read most of Jules Verne and H.P. Lovecraft by the time I was eight though.
Crazy
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 10 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by OneMoreDaySK Tue May 29, 2012 5:25 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
Sindri wrote:Tangent: did you even get the suspicion that the main reason Paradise Falls exists is so that good-aligned characters would get the fun of exterminating an entire settlement too?
If exterminating Paradise Falls is right, I don't want to be wrong. Crazy

Eh, I let them live while playing. Although it was friggin hard to get most of the slaves out. I believe I did a mesmetron /stampede distraction. Aside from the second chances thing I was trying to get my character to do, I would think that having a known place to free slaves is better than destroying their base and having to then hunt out other slave trading post that would eventually pop up, at least from a story perspective. Only group I went berserk on was the folks at Anadale. Dunno why Arbu went hostile after that, though, but luckily a random Yao Gai helped me out there while I escaped.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Tue May 29, 2012 5:47 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:Arbu
I think you meant "Arefu".
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue May 29, 2012 5:56 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:Aside from the second chances thing I was trying to get my character to do, I would think that having a known place to free slaves is better than destroying their base and having to then hunt out other slave trading post that would eventually pop up, at least from a story perspective.
A slave market being hard to find would kind of defeat the purpose.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue May 29, 2012 6:02 pm

I glitched out Andale when I went there. I was wandering the wasteland when I discovered it and saw most of the town standing outside a building. Thinking "Why is there a random group of people standing outside a house with weapons?" and not remembering FoE, I walked up and was confronted with "I know you went into my basement!" Not having a "I just arrived here and have no idea who you are?" option I kept with the "I don't know what you're talking about" before going "Yes, I went down there, and you will all now die."
One easy fight later I went down into the basement. Wish I hadn't but the outcome would have been the same if I had discovered it before killing them all.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper Airplane Tue May 29, 2012 6:07 pm

So is Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter a comedy? I feel like it would be awesome if the movie actually wasn't a comedy.

It would be kind of similar to Fallout Equestria, really. Take a completely absurd idea, one that sounds like something out of a comedy, and play it with a completely straight face. At the beginning the audience is like "wut." But then you get into it and the ridiculous premise just makes it all the more fun.
Paper Airplane
Paper Airplane
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue May 29, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm not sure how the movie is going to be, but the book plays out like a biography but with instances of vampire slaying and what effect they had during the Civil War thrown in. So in the very least the book plays the concept straight.
Hopefully the movie does to.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Tue May 29, 2012 7:14 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
OneMoreDaySK wrote:Aside from the second chances thing I was trying to get my character to do, I would think that having a known place to free slaves is better than destroying their base and having to then hunt out other slave trading post that would eventually pop up, at least from a story perspective.
A slave market being hard to find would kind of defeat the purpose.

I would believe that at best there would be a hoofington problem: take one out and a worse one appears, more heavily guarded or something like that.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue May 29, 2012 7:25 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:I would believe that at best there would be a hoofington problem: take one out and a worse one appears, more heavily guarded or something like that.
At some point, slaves become economically unviable. Either the slavers keep getting killed, which makes it very hard to recruit new ones, or they have to spend so much on guards and fortifications that the slaves become too expensive for anyone to buy. And thus, trade saves the wasteland (with help from a healthy dose of violence.)
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Tue May 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Yeah, you can't make slavery impossible... but it's easy to make it unprofitable or at least too risky to bother with. Who's going to become a slaver after 70% of the slaving population is killed by one psychopath? Who's going to buy a slave when they know it might make them a target? Who'd be willing to pay for a slave with the added price of massive fortifications, dozens of guards, etc. when they could just hire somebody to do it for a fraction of the price without any risk?

Slavers thrive in the wasteland because nobody opposes them. Slavery is profitable because it's cheaper to buy a person once than to pay them forever. Remove those conditions and it disappears.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Tue May 29, 2012 8:20 pm

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 10 133833688830

The morning after...

Someone should have warned her that if she ate all that cake she would get a wicked bad tummy ache.

I think it came out okay.

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Tue May 29, 2012 9:36 pm

Sindri wrote:Yeah, you can't make slavery impossible... but it's easy to make it unprofitable or at least too risky to bother with. Who's going to become a slaver after 70% of the slaving population is killed by one psychopath? Who's going to buy a slave when they know it might make them a target? Who'd be willing to pay for a slave with the added price of massive fortifications, dozens of guards, etc. when they could just hire somebody to do it for a fraction of the price without any risk?

Slavers thrive in the wasteland because nobody opposes them. Slavery is profitable because it's cheaper to buy a person once than to pay them forever. Remove those conditions and it disappears.

Good point. The thing now would be is the hero able to free the slaves without getting them killed. I suppose if the character doesn't care for the well being of the slave that would be understandable...

On a different note, the economics of FO:3 are weird. There seems to be no actual income of stuff, no farms or such. Heck, Megaton apparently runs on one brahmin. Anyone explain please?
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue May 29, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm going with we just don't see the farms in the capital wasteland, or that for the most part is souly based on hunting.
Also trading, lots and lots of trading.

Also the Capital Wasteland isn't as developed as the west so there could just be slow to get there.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Tue May 29, 2012 9:58 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:On a different note, the economics of FO:3 are weird. There seems to be no actual income of stuff, no farms or such. Heck, Megaton apparently runs on one brahmin. Anyone explain please?
The economics just don't work. The Capital Wasteland has thousands of consumers and no producers. Then there's the population problems; a few dozen townsfolk and several hundred raiders at any given moment? I kill thousands of raiders and hundreds of super mutants, come back in three days, and they're all back? With fresh gear? The whole economy would have to be based on salvage, but that would have been exhausted a century ago at the least if it didn't refresh itself every time you leave the room. Weapons break or get used for parts, and nobody builds more...

Basically, nobody thought about what made sense. They wanted it to look cool, and feel like it was right after the apocalypse, and they got both of those. But it's impossible for a significant number of humans to be struggling for survival and living off salvage like that for centuries on end; they'd need to either produce their own resources or die out. Not to mention the sheer numbers of casualties every day, and the minuscule populations with very low birth rates trying to replace them. And the tiny gene pool...
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue May 29, 2012 10:05 pm

That's it! Unless there's a Fallout game that explains what happened to the South of the US, mainly Georgia, I'm moving out west to the NCR. They may have a political screw up but at least they have that stuff nailed down.
*packs his bags and goes*
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Tue May 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Eh, I've covered it before. Probably not the same words, but the same issues. But since a lot of pages have disappeared lately, the archives of discussion are so massive, and somebody else brought up the question, I figured it was fine to reiterate.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue May 29, 2012 10:45 pm

Works for me. Sometimes it's good to cover old ground to remind ourselves of just where we've been.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Tue May 29, 2012 11:13 pm

swicked wrote:Though I do get deva vu all the time, it's usually as a result of stuff I am doing, not others.
It's even weirder when instead of a vague feeling of familiarity, you clearly remember where you've seen/heard/done something before... and it was a dream, years ago.
Crazy
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Tue May 29, 2012 11:21 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:That's it! Unless there's a Fallout game that explains what happened to the South of the US, mainly Georgia, I'm moving out west to the NCR. They may have a political screw up but at least they have that stuff nailed down.

Well, if you're me... the south endured the bombs a little better than other parts of the wasteland. Pensacola, Birmingham, Savanna, Miami, Mobile and Norfolk were all heavily nuked. Huntsville, however, survived relatively unscathed despite a nuke hitting the urban center several military contractors and arsenals survived intact. This would lead Huntsville to become headquarters to the Hunters, a paramilitary group that has worked tirelessly to assert control across the south. Several members of the Enclave have infiltrated the group, and there is an internal schism developing on whether or not the Hunters should adopt a more hardline stance or use their resources for more productive uses. Down near Ft. Benning are a number of Super Mutant Enclaves investing the swamps of southern Georgia. Ft. Gordon and much of the city of Augusta is dominated by advanced military robots protecting the ruined base. South Carolina has re-instituted slavery as a means of production, and the plantation owners have found the more 'moral' solution of enslaving mutants rather than humans. In the appalatchia mountains are the Folk who would be quite happy if all the power players were wiped out and people could revert to primativeism. They believe that Rousseau was right and the way to prevent a repeat of past mistakes is to keep settlements small and faithful. The Tennissee River Valley is still home to functioning hydro electric power plants and has given rise to the Order of Steel, a xenophobic off shoot of the Brotherhood. The Hunters and the Order are in a state of undeclared war.

Atlanta is the wild card in the region. A major trade hub, Atlanta was protected from nuclear devistation by an electromagnetic pulse shield. However, the Chinese also bombarded the city with biological and chemical weapons. As such, Atlanta could be a treasure trove of pre war trinkets... the most special of all being the Center for Disease Control, which was working on new strains of the FEV. Some speculate that some new strains of the FEV have broken out, as there are strange and unusual variants of mutant life not seen elsewhere in the deep south. Whoever can control the rail lines through the city has the potential to change the wasteland forever.

This is why I'd love to work on FO4...

Last edited by Somber on Tue May 29, 2012 11:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Tue May 29, 2012 11:36 pm

You're not the only one to feel some deja vu... fallout logic comes up often here, and Sindri is usually involved.

Somber wrote:This is why I'd love to work on FO4...

This is why we'd love you to work on FO4. Though I couldn't see the mutants getting thrown into these plantations without a new source to create them. They still cannot reproduce, yes?
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue May 29, 2012 11:40 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:On a different note, the economics of FO:3 are weird. There seems to be no actual income of stuff, no farms or such. Heck, Megaton apparently runs on one brahmin. Anyone explain please?
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 10 Tumblr_m3fg7agg3u1r757rdo1_1280
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Tue May 29, 2012 11:42 pm

Somber wrote:
Moodyman90 wrote:That's it! Unless there's a Fallout game that explains what happened to the South of the US, mainly Georgia, I'm moving out west to the NCR. They may have a political screw up but at least they have that stuff nailed down.

Well, if you're me... the south endured the bombs a little better than other parts of the wasteland. Pensacola, Birmingham, Savanna, Miami, Mobile and Norfolk were all heavily nuked. Huntsville, however, survived relatively unscathed despite a nuke hitting the urban center several military contractors and arsenals survived intact. This would lead Huntsville to become headquarters to the Hunters, a paramilitary group that has worked tirelessly to assert control across the south. Several members of the Enclave have infiltrated the group, and there is an internal schism developing on whether or not the Hunters should adopt a more hardline stance or use their resources for more productive uses. Down near Ft. Benning are a number of Super Mutant Enclaves investing the swamps of southern Georgia. Ft. Gordon and much of the city of Augusta is dominated by advanced military robots protecting the ruined base. South Carolina has re-instituted slavery as a means of production, and the plantation owners have found the more 'moral' solution of enslaving mutants rather than humans. In the appalatchia mountains are the Folk who would be quite happy if all the power players were wiped out and people could revert to primativeism. They believe that Rousseau was right and the way to prevent a repeat of past mistakes is to keep settlements small and faithful. The Tennissee River Valley is still home to functioning hydro electric power plants and has given rise to the Order of Steel, a xenophobic off shoot of the Brotherhood. The Hunters and the Order are in a state of undeclared war.

Atlanta is the wild card in the region. A major trade hub, Atlanta was protected from nuclear devistation by an electromagnetic pulse shield. However, the Chinese also bombarded the city with biological and chemical weapons. As such, Atlanta could be a treasure trove of pre war trinkets... the most special of all being the Center for Disease Control, which was working on new strains of the FEV. Some speculate that some new strains of the FEV have broken out, as there are strange and unusual variants of mutant life not seen elsewhere in the deep south. Whoever can control the rail lines through the city has the potential to change the wasteland forever.

This is why I'd love to work on FO4...

oh my god that would be so awesome.

@consumer/producer situation
Well I would assume for the most part people still scrounge up Salisbury steaks that have a longer lifespan than twinkies from the leftovers of buildings. And if/when those come in short supply...
Spoiler:

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue May 29, 2012 11:44 pm

@ Somber. You sir.... I have no word.... I'd sell my soul just to see that made real.

I say if nothing else we send Somber's idea to Obsidian Entertainment and Bethesda Softworks. At worse they ignore it, at best he get's a job and we get an awesome fallout game, maybe even more then one.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Tue May 29, 2012 11:45 pm

couldn't hurt. Although first Bethesda needs to figure out that legal matter with the fallout franchise.

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Tue May 29, 2012 11:46 pm

swicked wrote:
Sindri wrote:
swicked wrote:Though I do get deva vu all the time, it's usually as a result of stuff I am doing, not others.
It's even weirder when instead of a vague feeling of familiarity, you clearly remember where you've seen/heard/done something before... and it was a dream, years ago.
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 10 2113965524
That sort of thing has happened to me, too. I'm also occasionally not so good at telling dreams from reality in general.
Have you ever been able to take advantage of that sort of thing, though?

Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Tue May 29, 2012 11:54 pm

@somber, *whistles* you just come up with that? That's, thats's amazing. Ever send your ideas to Bethesda yet? Probably a long shot, but as long as there is a chance.

Economics wise that would be interesting if your PC could get some land in game, and have some different game on another platform, say, a mobile device, grow crops for you FarmVille style or something. Then proceeds go back to the main game for use and possible upgrades. I believe this I remember hearing about this kind of scenario from Extra Credits. What do y'all think?

swicked wrote:Are people even allowed to be just writers for video games? I thought writing was more of a collaborative effort among everyone doing all the other jobs... coding, graphics, design, etc., with most of direction provided by the project's leaders.

Probably not. There are a lot of things to be considered when writing for a game, much less a sandbox-y game like fallout. *sighs* I think this is why a lot of games seem like a movie that couldn't afford hiring a live action cast. (COD:MW I'm looking at you)

Last edited by OneMoreDaySK on Wed May 30, 2012 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue May 29, 2012 11:56 pm

Well obviously if Somber did send it in they'd change quite a few things to make it fit better in their canon, but if an idea is good enough they tend to leave it lie.
Point in case is Wild Wasteland, which they add when people would suggest things they didn't want to leave out but was agreed didn't fit the tone they was setting.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed May 30, 2012 12:12 am

Somber wrote:Atlanta is the wild card in the region. A major trade hub, Atlanta was protected from nuclear devistation by an electromagnetic pulse shield. However, the Chinese also bombarded the city with biological and chemical weapons.
This is an awesome idea! It's interesting that this would shift the focus to chemical and biological threats rather than radiation. ...not entirely unlike Canterlot or the Core, I suppose.

Oh, great. My GMing brain just kicked in. Twilight crazy

The EMP shield doesn't make much sense to exist in a city like Atlanta but not, say, DC. (This is, I note, a problem I have with New Vegas, too. If missile shield technology existed, why was it available to an independently wealthy man but not to the most vital defense cities?) Perhaps Atlanta was only lightly nuked, but one of the blasts cracked open the CDC building and released several virulent plagues on the survivors. You could maintain the "not nuked" idea if an important military location -- say, Fort Benning -- DID have a prototype antimissile system, but some Colonel or General realized that this was the end of the world and, in an attack of conscience, allocated the defense systems to cover Atlanta instead of themselves in an attempt to save as many civilians as possible. Obviously it would need to be some kind of shootdown system rather than an umbrella shield. (Too bad Dahlgren is way over in Virginia, the Naval Surface Warfare Center would be the perfect place to mount a new weapon like that.)

Rather than randomly throwing in bio/chem warheads along with the nuclear ones, perhaps the bio/chem attack was launched via cruise missile by a Chinese submarine several days after it fired its ballistic missiles, when it heard the civilian radio traffic coming from the city's emergency services. This submarine, docked at Mobile and surrounded by the hulks of the ships it sunk with its torpedoes, would make an awesome final dungeon. The remaining cruise missiles even provide an epic regional threat, once the Big Bad is able to acquire something nasty from the CDC to arm them with.

Last edited by SilentCarto on Wed May 30, 2012 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed May 30, 2012 12:25 am

Well, Atlanta is a major transportation hub as far as airlines are concern, and use to be known as Terminus due to the fact all rain lines use to end there. Name got changed due to being made the capital.
Sadly, despite living in Georgia I don't know as much of the military base in the state and close by as I should, but the base near Albany, Ga became important back in the early 90s for having the only desert camo gear in the country at the time.
Blast I can't remember why Moody (no relation) Air Force Base is important....

Yes I am shamelessly plugging places in the area I know of. I can't help it, I feel as if the south is under represented in games. Only major one I know of off the top of my head was Infamous 2.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Wed May 30, 2012 12:34 am

Back when Fallout 3 was relatively new I had an idea for a fallout game. Hadn't really fleshed it out as much as you guys but the key concept was that there was a Chinese sky fortress(nukes had to come from somewhere) that was still active and flying over Seattle. you would spend most of your time around the area called The Sound and as such a lot of water based creatures would be there to ruin your day(hello mirelurks). maybe even spend some time in the forests and what not. Quite a bit more chinese interaction and maybe a turn around at some point like how X-8 Research center realized that the courier had no idea what communism was.

that's about as far as I thought about it.

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20 ... 30  Next