Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+39
hawkeye92
jacky2734
Rafafidi
Regolit
Paper Airplane
Jeremyrush
Valikdu
Mech
Cptadder
Scyto Harmony
Snipehamster
Stringtheory
Admiral Stoic Rum
NoodleNugget
FeatherDust
Somber
Moodyman90
Katarn
Aonee
Kattlarv
tylertoon2
RandomBlank
RoboRed
Quotidian
Icy Shake
Rboy474
Ketchup
WavemasterRyx
Orm
Ametros
OneMoreDaySK
Sindri
MrMagma
O. Hinds
CamoBadger
Derpmind
Kippershy
Meleagridis
SilentCarto
43 posters

Page 27 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 27 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by CamoBadger Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:09 pm

ketchup504 wrote:Just asking, but what is it called when you cannot love people? Because I can't/don't love anyone.
Aromantic I believe
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 27 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Rafafidi Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:10 pm

ketchup504 wrote:Just asking, but what is it called when you cannot love people? Because I can't/don't love anyone.
That depends on your definition of 'love'. Are you talking about 'movie love' where you see stars and fireworks and everything about that person seens right? Because I think that really don't exist in the real world.
Rafafidi
Rafafidi
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 4

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Rafafidi wrote:
That depends on your definition of 'love'. Are you talking about 'movie love' where you see stars and fireworks and everything about that person seens right? Because I think that really don't exist in the real world.
The wish to have another as a companion, I guess. Not easy to explain.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper Airplane Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:21 pm

[quote="Kippershy"]
WaffleSmart wrote:
Kippershy wrote:
Too many people on the planet? Don't want as many, if any, children. (a very real response. myself included)
Too many stupid people on the planet? Same response.
Feel that you aren't worthy of having a child because your genes? No child.
Feel that the world is too shit to bring a child into? No child.

But there have always been stupid people on the planet. Actually, people are more educated than ever right now in the 21 century. And quality of living in the 21 century is far better than it has ever been, what with modern medicine and technology. So I don't see why people would feel like the world was too hard a place to bring their child into now more than they would have hundreds of years ago. As for people feeling like their genes are inferior and because of that they shouldn't have a child... why does that only apply to the present? People probably felt like that hundreds of years ago too. (they didn't know it was caused by genes, but they did know that children resembled their parents).

The only part of your list that I can agree with is the first one. But the percentage of people concerned with overpopulation enough that they wouldn't want to have a child isn't especially large, so I don't think it could have a major effect on the population.

Also, sex for the sole purpose of procreation is one thing, but what about for enjoyment? Just because someone doesn't want to have a child, doesn't mean they don't still have the base instinct to find a mate.
Paper Airplane
Paper Airplane
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper Airplane Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:23 pm

WaffleSmart wrote:
I'm not sure how I feel about that part though-

Plus I'm not sure if I can really forgive Psalm for that.
Paper Airplane
Paper Airplane
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:34 pm

swicked wrote:

I'm sure that's possible, but I'm not sure how you'd know without a doctor's note.

It'd be like not being able to get mad, sad or afraid. Unless it's a chemical imbalance you just haven't come across something that has hit you in such a way that you react with that emotion.
Certainly possible. But I doubt you can get a doctors note for that, lol.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper Airplane Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Didn't you say you were around 15? I think it might be too early to decide whether or not you're capable of loving someone.
Paper Airplane
Paper Airplane
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafafidi Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:56 pm

ketchup504 wrote:
If you're really 14 like in your profile, you really shouldn't worry about that...yet.
Rafafidi
Rafafidi
Earth Pony

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:03 pm

I don't, I was just curious.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm sorry. It was almost as bad as my worst fears. I know that you've probably got questions; I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't know what's going to happen, and I feel several different kinds of horrible right now.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Aonee Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:28 pm

O. Hinds wrote:I'm sorry. It was almost as bad as my worst fears. I know that you've probably got questions; I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't know what's going to happen, and I feel several different kinds of horrible right now.
I know there's contest to this, but I don't know quite what it is...
Aonee
Aonee
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 98

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:29 pm

O. Hinds wrote:I'm sorry. It was almost as bad as my worst fears. I know that you've probably got questions; I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't know what's going to happen, and I feel several different kinds of horrible right now.
These kinds of comments make out of context speculation fun! [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 27 1639762117

Lets see is O.Hinds talking about the latest chapter which was mentioned that was received so it's another bad one (Bad as in bad for Blackjack not bad writing)
Or O.Hinds talking about personal details? Another poster? The Egypt situation, who knows!

Let the rampant speculation begin!
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:30 pm

RandomBlank wrote:Allow me just to say that a door doesn't need any kind of lock to be rendered quite hard to open with a small tube of superglue or with a small woden wedge and a hammer. I really don't get you people who keep insisting you need a key and a lock to keep a door closed.
Well, the door handle didn't turn, which suggests it wasn't glued shut or simply wedged.

However, I've never ever said that a lock and key is the only possible way. I just said it was the most obvious, simplest way, and my personal theory -- and was defending that statement from a response that effectively said, "No, there's no way that door could possibly have a lock installed on it."

See my previous statement about the difference between "this is a reasonable theory" and "this is the absolute truth".

swicked wrote:
I remember making a similar statement; that the door could be jammed physically in a way that would be difficult to detect. So yes... its a confusing discussion.
I think too much credence is being lent to the twilight society in regards to their ability to ascertain physical ways the door might be made difficult to open. Especially by someone who wasn't even committed to trying very hard to open it in the first place.
Totally agree, I don't think it'd take much to trick the TwiSci. Still, the simplest answer is usually the best one, and it doesn't get simpler than just locking the existing lock.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Maybe Hinds is referring to chapter progress?
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:35 pm

ketchup504 wrote:Maybe Hinds is referring to chapter progress?
I may have for a reason which seemed really important to me but which other people have been telling me is really stupid upset Somber enough to discontinue the story.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafafidi Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:38 pm

O. Hinds wrote:I may have for a reason which seemed really important to me but which other people have been telling me is really stupid upset Somber enough to discontinue the story.
Can you elaborate that?
Rafafidi
Rafafidi
Earth Pony

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Snipehamster Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:39 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
I may have for a reason which seemed really important to me but which other people have been telling me is really stupid upset Somber enough to discontinue the story.

Hinds.

I think it's in everyone's best interests if you keep your concerns private until some sort of resolution has been reached. The last thing anyone needs is for tension and worry to spread while emotions are running high. Please?

Snipehamster
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 37

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:40 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Ahh one of those
In that case a Wizard Unicorn did it or alternatively a Zebra Alchemist did it.

Or the other alternative

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes

and other science facts (la la la),

Then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show,

I should really just relax

Last edited by Cptadder on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Snipehamster wrote:Hinds.

I think it's in everyone's best interests if you keep your concerns private until some sort of resolution has been reached. The last thing anyone needs is for tension and worry to spread while emotions are running high. Please?
I'm sorry; I thought that people should know. I'll just leave for a bit now.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:04 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
I'm sorry; I thought that people should know. I'll just leave for a bit now.

Don't worry about it. You do your best to keep us informed and apparently you thought we needed to know....whatever it was you were trying to tell us.

Ughh, I'm bad at this. Just try not to beat yourself up, alright?

Last edited by TheLastDefender on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:05 pm

Cptadder wrote:
Sindri wrote:
Okay, you're definitely misunderstanding the concept. Evolution is the process through which traits that increase the chance of reproducing become more common, and traits that decrease the chance of reproducing become less common. No more, no less. Evolution isn't some force or intelligence, it doesn't have goals or memory or move toward something, it's just the result of probability variations leading to different chances of a given trait appearing in the next generation.
Exactly
Perhaps we are headed for the way of social insects and we are in the process of generating a third neuter gender who cares only for advancement of the tribe rather than reproduction. Perhaps it's just because the set of gens that produces asexuality is temporarily becoming more successful as more and more first world countries are not running by survival of the fittest standards but instead by whatever our social normals push as useful or ideal.

At the end of the day the only thing Evolution cares about is ability to compete and reproduce in your environment. As we have advanced as a species to the point at which we are strong enough and intelligent enough to start modifying our environment to suit us you start seeing other traits other than hunter/gatherer traits becoming useful. Intelligence is a big one, on average over the past three the human race has gone up a few IQ points. The average is still 100 but what 100 means has advanced as the number of things you needed to know has dramatically increased. If you took a peseant from the 13th century and dropped them in the 6th century they could get by just fine, but take that same Pesant and drop them in the 19th century and they would be lost as they try and deal with all the advances and the lack of Sunday Witch burnings.

Again the only thing Evolution cares about is your ability to thrive in your environment and pass on your genes. It has no future only a present and a past, it's literally making shit up as it goes along.

Eh, more or less agree with this conception of evolution. My caveat is that I learned it as "the change in the relative frequency of alleles in a population over time", making my direct equivalent to what you're talking about "evolution by the process of natural selection". Why yes, I am a pedant, by the way. [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 27 779695502
Regarding the increase in IQ over the last century: much of this has to do with the change in environmental factors. Put simply, we have better nutrition than we did three generations ago, which is behind much of the increase, in the same way that the population is taller than it was n decades ago. After all, if anything the economic and thus survival premium of a large body frame is less than it was during the agrarian ages.

<blockquote>
Kippershy wrote:
</blockquote>Kip,
what is it that makes you think that Asexuality is trending right now?
And I don't understand how asexuality could be caused by evolution,
because evolution is basically the species that is able to survive and procreate
the most efficiently coming out on top. Asexual people are hardly able
to procreate, how could they pass down their genetic code to their
offspring if they don't have offspring?

EDIT: This guy really helped me with understanding how evolution works, you might want to check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcjgWov7mTM

Again, this seems like it might be more simply explained not as the result of evolution (by any process), but rather by environmental factors; I would be quite surprised if more population-level changes resulted from changes in allele frequency over the last few decades than from changes in (for this purpose) the chemicals we are exposed to.

[quote="WaffleSmart"]
Kippershy wrote:
WaffleSmart wrote:
Kippershy wrote:
Too many people on the planet? Don't want as many, if any, children. (a very real response. myself included)
Too many stupid people on the planet? Same response.
Feel that you aren't worthy of having a child because your genes? No child.
Feel that the world is too shit to bring a child into? No child.

But
there have always been stupid people on the planet. Actually, people
are more educated than ever right now in the 21 century. And quality of
living in the 21 century is far better than it has
ever been, what with modern medicine and technology. So I don't see why
people would feel like the world was too hard a place to bring their
child into now more than they would have hundreds of years ago. As for
people feeling like their genes are inferior and because of that they
shouldn't have a child... why does that only apply to the present?
People probably felt like that hundreds of years ago too. (they didn't
know it was caused by genes, but they did know that children resembled
their parents).

The only part of your list that I can agree with
is the first one. But the percentage of people concerned with
overpopulation enough that they wouldn't want to have a child isn't
especially large, so I don't think it could have a major effect on the
population.

Also, sex for the sole purpose of procreation is one
thing, but what about for enjoyment? Just because someone doesn't want
to have a child, doesn't mean they don't still have the base instinct to
find a mate.

Largely in agreement here. But in America there is the growing perception that the current generation will not have a better standard of living than their parents (see for example http://www.gallup.com/poll/147350/optimism-future-youth-reaches-time-low.aspx), so there could be something going on there. Apparently feelings are similar in the UK.

More to the point, I'm entirely with you on feeling a disconnect between the idea that you don't want to have children and not wanting sex.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Here is the situation. Things happened in today's brushing. It was extremely upsetting. PH will probably continue on. I don't know what will happen with the editorial team. One of them has been with me since chapter seven trying to make Horizons as great as it can be. For him to do what he did I consider a personal betrayal and moved me from a pretty decent mood right down into the dumps. Once the cortisol metabolizes, I'll be able to go on. But I have no clue right now what I am going to do.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Somber wrote:Here is the situation. Things happened in today's brushing. It was extremely upsetting. PH will probably continue on. I don't know what will happen with the editorial team. One of them has been with me since chapter seven trying to make Horizons as great as it can be. For him to do what he did I consider a personal betrayal and moved me from a pretty decent mood right down into the dumps. Once the cortisol metabolizes, I'll be able to go on. But I have no clue right now what I am going to do.
Feeling personally betrayed is a horrible feeling, but I'd like to offer any support we can give you, on behalf of the forum.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:17 pm

Cptadder wrote:
Exactly
Perhaps we are headed for the way of social insects and we are in the process of generating a third neuter gender who cares only for advancement of the tribe rather than reproduction.

Um...this is in no way the mindset I have as a human being... Applejack

Perhaps it's just because the set of gens that produces asexuality is temporarily becoming more successful as more and more first world countries are not running by survival of the fittest standards but instead by whatever our social normals push as useful or ideal.
Which is why we should remove all of the warning labels and safety rules and let common sense sort everything out Luna
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:21 pm

RoboRed wrote:You...you are just way too awesome for your own good. Thank you!

Here, have a shotgun-toting Wastelander Wavey. [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 27 524433800
Oh you really shouldn't have, sir, thank you very much. *hugs you tightly*
I just didn't want you to be sad on your birthday, so I was hoping I could make you smile.

Kippershy wrote:
WavemasterRyx wrote:I wouldn't go quite
that far, but I do try my best when I can, thank you Kipper.
I
would. I really look up to you ^__________________^
You're always so kind, thank you. <3

Somber wrote:
I really don't know what to say except... I'm really sorry, Somber... I hope things can be okay... *hugs Somber tight*

I need to go draw more Boo... immediately...
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:24 pm

Kippershy wrote:to cut this down short - think of evolution not as evolution, but as societal pressure...
I think I'm getting you now; it's nothing to do with evolution (unless humanity had evolved to react to certain pressures in this way), but when resources are scarcer and populations are denser and things are more violent or polluted or stupid, people will either be more likely to be born asexual or more likely to develop that way (not getting into nature v nurture right now; whole kettle of worms and I don't have any idea anyway). Though all but the population density and maybe the pollution I'm not sure about; why would Japan have higher asexuality rates and, say, undeveloped parts of south africa and impoverished sections of middle america still have huge birthrates if it was based on stupidity or hardship?

No clue. Define "love."

The best I've come up with so far is when you care more about another person's well-being than your own. If you're not capable of that you might be a narcissist, you might tend to associate with assholes instead of nice lovable people, you might just not have developed that kind of relationship yet, or you might be a psychopath. It's hard to tell if you're capable of something you've never done, especially in your youth. (It took me a long time to figure out asexuality, and in the process I went some dark places. Never think that the internet is not a scary place, or that you've seen the worst it has to offer. *shudder*)

Ice Crystal wrote:Aromantic I believe
Sure, why not? Though that's mainly connotations of being incapable of romance, and I don't accept romance as the only valid form of love. I've never had the time or inclination for such (yet), but there are several people I care about enough to lay down my life for.

O. Hinds wrote:
Ah [Buy some apples!].

Icy Shake wrote:But in America there is the growing perception that the current generation will not have a better standard of living than their parents (see for example http://www.gallup.com/poll/147350/optimism-future-youth-reaches-time-low.aspx)
See, the problem with those polls is that everybody always thinks they've got it worst. Old people look back through a filter of nostalgia, forget the bigotry and crime, and talk about how the old days were wonderful and young people are ruining everything. Young people look at all the damage done by previous generations that they'll have to fix and despair about how everything was broken when they got here. Meanwhile, raw data says we're living longer, and eating better, average heath is always going up, and crime just keeps dropping, not to mention all the awesome toys we get along the way. If you look at things objectively, the future looks pretty awesome.

Somber wrote:Here is the situation. Things happened in today's brushing. It was extremely upsetting. PH will probably continue on. I don't know what will happen with the editorial team. One of them has been with me since chapter seven trying to make Horizons as great as it can be. For him to do what he did I consider a personal betrayal and moved me from a pretty decent mood right down into the dumps. Once the cortisol metabolizes, I'll be able to go on. But I have no clue right now what I am going to do.
If there's anything we can do...
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:33 pm

Not sure what say, somber. Whatever decision you make we'll be here, but maybe you should take a day or two to think about what you do next. I know I've made some bad calls when my mind was clouded.

Back to top Go down

Post by XT Vengeance Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:50 pm

I am sorry that happened. If you need us Somber, you can be sure that we will be here for you.
XT Vengeance
XT Vengeance
High Inquisitor of Jackassery

Brohoof! : 40

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:54 pm

I don't want to take sides(mostly because I don't know what happened) but I hope things work out between you all. I recommend just taking a breather, take a step back from the situation and observe. And if it comes down to it, saving a friendship is more important than protecting your pride.

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:55 pm

We're here for ya Somber. If you need to step back and take a breather, do so. Just don't stress out too much and do anything rash without thinking it through.
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 27 3932362616
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next