Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+14
Icy Shake
RoboRed
Epsilon
StoneSlinger88
brony all alone
Valikdu
Katarn
Scienza
Whiskey Rebellion
O. Hinds
Frost
Harmony Ltd.
Tytan
Stringtheory
18 posters

Page 12 of 31 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21 ... 31  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 12 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Frost Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:56 am

They're comin' back here on the 3rd of May. Assuming I'm not out in the field at that point, I should be able to see 'em.
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 12 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:54 pm

If you wonder what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object, I recommend you stand on the seaside and just look at the waves crashing on the beach for a little while.

You may not get your answer, but at least you'll be relaxed a bit.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:18 pm

Hey Sci!

I see you've Transistor on your wishlist. FYI, it's 66% off on steam right now.

There's steam sales right now, with some interesting offers. For example, the Borderlands Prequel is 50% off.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Yesterday's event in Doomy's interpretation:

Spoiler:

There was also a balloon gun, but Joakim gave it to a little girl along with his shades.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:02 pm

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 12 Somber11
74! This will, I expect, upset many people in varying ways.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:04 pm

Was he doing his signature crowd-pleasing dance move, "aggressively start a chainsaw?", Val?
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:44 pm

godf$ckingdamnit somber I have papers to write whhyyyyyyyy
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:47 am

What band is that, Val?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:52 am

Sabaton I think.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Hey Sci!

I see you've Transistor on your wishlist. FYI, it's 66% off on steam right now.

There's steam sales right now, with some interesting offers. For example, the Borderlands Prequel is 50% off.
Oooh! Thanks for telling me. I'll see if I can grab it before the sale ends.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:09 pm

So, um. My mother's written a book. People interested in fantasy might enjoy it.
...I'm not very good at writing advertisements. I've also not personally read the book, it not being so much to my tastes, but, knowing her, I am confident in its quality. So... yeah. Check it out, as the saying goes. :)
(Sorry for the awkwardness, but I do want to help her out and do think that people interested in that sort of thing are reasonably likely to enjoy it.)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Downloaded Skill Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Hey guys so I was thinking about potentially restarting the PHCC game night. There are quite a few new multiplayer games now so we should be able to avoid the TF2 stagnation that plagued it last time. If there is enough interest I'll create a different thread about it.
Downloaded Skill
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:37 pm

@DS, I would recommend Nosgoth. It's a free arena shooter with vampires and vampire hunters.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:31 pm

@DS
I might be up for game night. Today, an IRL friend of mine showed me how to use a controller with non-controller games, so I can actually do some gaming with no strain.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:46 pm

Something for Cobalt.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:01 am

Ironmonger wrote:Something for Cobalt.
Ha! Liked the giant salad fork. I admit, I actually listen to some djent-ish stuff every now and then, but it's pretty telling I think that the band is one dude who plays the drums and everything else is varying degrees of machine. It scratches the electronic music itch I sometimes get.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:08 pm

'Tis be fucking cool!
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:24 pm

They're not really false memories though. Seems it's more like false feelings associated with a memory. That is if I'm understanding it right.

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:18 pm

Still, very interesting, and I can see the developed technology having a great deal of potential.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:12 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Still, very interesting, and I can see the developed technology having a great deal of potential.
Once this becomes over-the-counter, I am so going back and changing all memories of high school.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:16 am

Personally, and that would just apply to myself, I'm not a fan of getting false memories of the past implanted into my system.

If it were useful memories pertaining to the acqusition of a skill, then yeah, maybe. But simply changing what I remember of the past for things that didn't actually happen? I have some practical and philosophical reservations against that. Mostly practical ones.

But for people for whom the past holds no positives, I can perfectly understand why they would do so. It just seems like it could be handicapping if you were to interact with people from that time period.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:07 am

That's sounds like something from Orwell or similar. I wouldn't want that to exist.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:51 am

@swicked:
Yes, that's the sort of thing my mind immediately jumped to, too.

As Last pointed out, mind, it, at least at the moment, doesn't seem, at least based on that article, to actually create false memories (yet, at least). It seems to me that there's a lot that can be done just with manipulating the emotions connected to existing memories, though.

Katarn wrote:That's sounds like something from Orwell or similar. I wouldn't want that to exist.
Hm, not sure about Orwell. 1984, which is what I assume you're referring to, involved attempted thought control, but it didn't actually work very well (at least, I highly doubt it; Airstrip One might have been operating as desired, but given the state of the place, that seems unlikely). I unfortunately still haven't gotten around to reading Brave New World, but this sounds more similar to what I've read of that, if you want to make such comparisons.

Of course, with the technology currently still so immature, it's hard to say what sorts of societies it might be able to support.

@swicked again:
...And yeah, probably time for this quote again:
Mister Frost wrote:
Scienza wrote:Swick, half the time you're the only sane one, and the other half, you're the scariest son-of-a-bitch in the thread.
Key factor being how much Hinds is posting, because I'm still fairly confident he's a vengeful ex-Soviet Bloc missile engineer. Or Whiskey, because no one best summed up as "Hillbilly Me" is a man to be trifled with.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:24 am

swicked wrote:Hmmm... yeah.
All in favor of changing the context of past memories, making them less traumatic.
Not for changing them.
...unless this is more of a gateway to sleep-learning. I'd love to be wasting less of my life laying down doing nothing.

What do you mean? I'm not sure I get the distinction. That is changing the memory, is it not?

Practically when talking about this it'd be nice to see people with triggers more common in day to day life (the stereotype of a soldier suffering PTSD for instance is often that they're triggered by loud noises or bangs) to be helped get over them with this kind of treatment if possible. Hopefully of course improving their quality of life overall.

But to have a memory altered or even the feeling associated with that memory altered is absolutely terrifying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:31 am

Or you could emplace deep-cover Manchurian-style agents behind enemy lines, ready to spring like a loaded trap when the right trigger shakes them out of their false memories and awakens the weapon within. 

Envision a Mexican Special Operator implanted in an ISIS cell (it'd work 'cause they're both brown) and just when they're about to begin their crusade against the filthy infidels, Abu raises his detonator, and.....

Boom. Fiesta
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:40 am

Yes...confeetii everywhere...
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 12 Fiesta
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:13 am

In the roleplaying game setting "Eclipse Phase", this is actually a real and present concern, as mind upload and memory manipulations are widespread technologies; with that kind of sleeper agents being regularly used against the anti-transhuman faction (The Jovian Junta).

To such a point that anyone wanting to get into their territories (be it by going there physically, or most commonly by uploading their minds into a local body - interplanetary travel isn't cheap) needs to undergo thorough scans of their Ego for possible discrepancies potentially revealing of a sleeper agent; and even then they get branded and cannot participate in a number of activities like government work, law enforcement, military, etc...

While it is shocking denial of basic human rights, it is to be noted that it is often the only thing standing between them and their whole society being sabotaged at every turn.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:23 am

What can be with all this 'memory alteration' can be seen in"Remember me" game.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:03 am

I am so doing this for any and all future graphics work.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:19 am

@Memory Modification
Gotta say, I'm kind of a fan of the idea. Not just for relieving PTSD, or the more theoretical sleep-learning/"I know kung fu" skill downloading, but even for the mind-fuckery. People are always lamenting how our justice system fails to reform people, and this could be a possible treatment tool for folks with seriously twisted minds. Sure, it's a bit Clockwork Orange (okay, it's exactly Clockwork Orange), but given that the alternatives are locking them up forever or killing them, I'm not sure that the human rights issue would be as much of a concern at that level. Maybe even for lesser crimes - I mean, what do you call anger management classes and Alcoholics Anonymous if not an attempt at changing the way someone's mind works? We give people antipsychotics and confine them involuntarily if we believe they're a threat to others or themselves - if the tech proves safe and effective on humans, it should be an option. Voluntary, maybe, as an alternative to other systems like the standard "spend years in jail getting indoctrinated into the Aryan Brotherhood, who will teach you important skills you can use once you're on the outside, like how to smuggle heroin in your bum." Not sure people would go for it, though, the mind is pretty sanctified, ya know? Plus, all this is predicated on this kind of thing working on humans and being reasonably safe. And even testing either of those is going to be minefield.

In terms of warfare, imagine if American identity became an idea-virus, spread through the concept that A) You are a loyal American citizen, and B) You should seek out non-Americans and take them to blacksites or safe spots where fellow loyal American citizens can come to turn them into more Americans. The Cult of America. Eventually, the only non-indoctrinated nations are the rare, isolated states who managed to close their borders, and America itself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 31 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21 ... 31  Next