Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+18
Derpmind
Vinylshadow
StoneSlinger88
Scienza
Scyto Harmony
OneMoreDaySK
Valikdu
Kattlarv
Cptadder
Tytan
RoboRed
Stringtheory
O. Hinds
iLateralGX
Harmony Ltd.
Katarn
Ironmonger
Frost
22 posters

Page 4 of 29 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 29  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:13 am

Mister Frost wrote:This ain't even ghetto-cred, bruh. This is man-cred. Infantryman-cred. If you can finish the Death March, I might stop referring to you as "My Pog-Ass Surrender-Monkey friend."

But probably not.
How much weight do you have to carry for that march and what's the minimum time requirement?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:16 am

Longest I did was 24 km with 15 kg, but it was pretty relaxed. The 18km march was actually more intensive as we were carrying the same weight, but had to run for a non-negligible portion of it.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:17 am

I'm Floridian though, that's like only half American. The other half being various Spanish countries but mostly Puerto Rico...

Which is a territory of the United States... dammit. I just can't win.
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:24 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:This ain't even ghetto-cred, bruh. This is man-cred. Infantryman-cred. If you can finish the Death March, I might stop referring to you as "My Pog-Ass Surrender-Monkey friend."

But probably not.
How much weight do you have to carry for that march and what's the minimum time requirement?
There are four categories--Civilian Light, Civilian Heavy, Military Light, and Military heavy. The difference between Military and Civilian categories is self-explanatory. The Light category is a walk/run with no burden. The Heavy category is a march with a minimum 35-pound ruck. I've carried up to 70-pound rucks before, but only for about 10 miles. There's no time standard, but it is a competition. 

I know that the big Army standard for ruck-marching excellence is a 12-mile in under three hours--required for just about any school you go to. I'd imagine most of the folks'll be doing a similar pace.
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:30 am

12 miles in under tjree hours... Quick calculation says this mean an average speed over 6.4 kph. Doable but undoubtebly intensive, as that's an -average-speed.

And 35 pounds seems to be about what we were carrying, yes.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:36 am

Most Infantry units in the Army pride themselves on meeting or exceeding that standard--I know of guys who did the 12-mile for SF selection in about two and a half.

And yes, it's quite intensive, especially for the smaller guys. Luckily, I'm ~6'1'' and built pretty stocky, so if there's one thing in the Army I'm good at, it's ruckmarches (So of course I got stuck in a Mechanized unit.)

Also, The Death March's official page. Turns out the march itself isn't until, well, March. Registration opens up soon, though.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:00 am

If there's a thing that doesn't change between France and the US, it's young soldiers thinking they're too cool to change into their civilian clothes before taking the train/plane, and parading around out of service in their uniforms.

Btw the guy had an Airborne patch :v
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:05 am

Asshole probably should be reminded that the revised AR670-1 forbids travelling in uniform except for certain authorized circumstances like R&R (which, if he was coming from deployment, He'd probably be rocking OCP rather than normal ACU's, so it'd be pretty clear)

I travelled in ACU's when I was first reporting to Bliss (one of the authorized circumstances to do so) other than that, my duty uniforms are for duty hours and duty hours only.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:14 am

Exactly.

Another thing that grind my future-NCO's gears is when in civilian clothes they wear some elements of their military uniforms.

Here it's mostly the polar fleece jacket being worn in winter.

I don't understand why everyone seems to be loving that thing. Once it starts raining it soaks waters like a meth-head on withdrawal, and it isn't even that hot compared to our standard issue parka.

One reason why I avoid wearing my marching shoes in civilian, even if they are really comfortable (the other being that they take approximately two years to lace, so fuck that noise).
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:31 am

Yeah, we get issued a fleece jacket, too--and I've only ever seen non-combat-arms guys wearing it. I've literally never put mine on, and I've never seen any infantryman put his on. We have gor-tex jackets and pants for extreme weather, and snivel gear for moderate weather--fleece jackets are garrison bullshit that's never worn in the field. 

Also, I don't know even what "marching shoes" are. We have the dress shoes that go with our dress uniforms, but they're absolutely horrifyingly uncomfortable as fuck. As are the standard-issue PT shoes. As are the standard-issue boots. Luckily, we can wear certain civilian running shoes and a wide array of authorized aftermarket boots. 

Plus, I don't know about your guys' uniforms, but our boots are rough, flesh-out leather designed not to be polished. So that's one less pain in the ass to worry about.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:32 am

lastbait:
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:05 am

I'm feeling pretty good about myself; I learned to make chainmail today.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:11 am

Did you made full 'shirt' or just linked some chains?
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:19 am

Considering you can put in a few hundred man-hours before what you're making even resembles armor, probably worked on linking chains. Still, that's some pretty intense shit.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:20 am

I didn't actually make anything, but my friend showed me the techniques behind it, including the correct patterns for the rings. I'm fully capable of making the stuff myself, and in different forms. I'm helping him improve the process a little bit.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:54 am

Our marching shoes: https://i.imgur.com/svpRBVul.jpg
The "Rangers" boots.

Currently being phased out in favor of more recent and comfortable designs.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:29 am

Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:35 am

What the fuck even
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:38 am

Don't do it, man. Never try to rationalize Dunkey. It has driven many men insane.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scyto Harmony Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:44 am

swicked wrote:He has the best laugh I have ever heard in my life.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 4 HimZD0M
Scyto Harmony
Scyto Harmony
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 155

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:47 am

When was the last time you've facepalmed to anything related to Electronic Arts?

Well, reset the timer if you haven't heard this one already: apparently, they've hired Anita Sarkeesian to "incorporate feminist ideas" into Mirror's Edge 2. The design team has to listen to her.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:52 am

*applies cheese grater to face upon hearing this news*
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:56 am

I can't wait to be victimized for simply having a penis!
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Tytan wrote:
I fangasmed like mad for twenty minutes after watching this.

Damn, that's some nice animation.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:20 pm

My only complaint about that animation is that Littlepip's mouth animation just seemed a little off to me at times.

Other than that yeah I agree that is an amazing animation. Especially that Canterlot shot at the end. <3
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:50 pm

guardians spoilers:
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:31 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Our marching shoes: https://i.imgur.com/svpRBVul.jpg
The "Rangers" boots.

Currently being phased out in favor of more recent and comfortable designs.
Standard-issue boots:

The boots I wear:
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:38 pm

Okay, out of curiosity.
What's difference between Rangers, Marines..and..uh..Infantry, I guess?
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:53 pm

Army Infantry is the US military's primary ground combat force. They're the regular joes that engage in major battles, hold territory, ect. 

Rangers are a regiment of elite light infantry that specializes primarily in Direct Action Raids (room-clearing snatch-and-grabs on high-value targets) with a minor in Airfield Siezure. They're essentially an infantry unit with lots of funding, high standards, and a mentality and culture of being really fucking hardcore. They serve as the model that all Army units should strive to be like. 

Marines are their own branch, technically (but not really) part of the Navy. Some say they're better trained than the Army, some say the other way around. Just bringing it up is an instant flame war. While they were originally an expeditionary force, the evolution of war has pretty much made them a smaller, gung-ho version of the Army in their function and philosophy of use.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:20 pm

Oh. Thank you for clarifying.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 29 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 29  Next