Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+40
CD
Retl
kingkodus
Caoimhe
Revan Seiei
Harmony Ltd.
Dekshuduph
Train Dodger
Admiral Stoic Rum
Luminous Lead
pokeperson1000
Technowolf
Valikdu
Thoroar
Stringtheory
Moodyman90
Downloaded Skill
FeatherDust
neoaustin
Loud_Taffy
OneMoreDaySK
MSCA
Evilgidgit
WavemasterRyx
ARoundCorner
Exodus Hero
Silver136
Dutcher
RoboRed
Somber
Borsuq
Derpmind
Shady
Vergil
Rayndalf
Vinylshadow
SilentCarto
Icy Shake
O. Hinds
Scienza
44 posters

Page 25 of 31 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 25 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by RoboRed Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:03 am

Science: bringing you stuff like exploding lemons and crotch eyeballs.

In other news, Kkat on Necromancy: http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/349347/on-necromancy
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 25 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Vinylshadow Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:21 am

....Now I'm picturing Blackjack with penises mounted over her mantel, sipping whiskey

Gordon Freeman collects skulls of the people he kills (In self-defense)

Blackjack collects the severed colthoods of the ponies she gelds (in self-defense)
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Technically gelding doesn't involve removing the penis, and given equine anatomy, it would actually be pretty hard to do that in the midst of combat anyway unless the guy was getting turned on by the fight or something.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:38 pm

You'd be amazed at what males find arousing...
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:25 pm

Scienza wrote:Personally, my main issue with the ending is the Enclave and how they're handled. What we had initially was the awesomely morally complex interplay between Littlepip, Red Eye, and the Goddess, three characters who arguably want what is ultimately right for the wasteland and who each represent an interesting reflection or mutation of the other two. Together, the three characters play with what exactly it means to be a hero and the meaning of good and evil in a morally ambiguous world.

And then we get the Enclave, who still carry all that I disliked from their human counterparts in Fallout 3 (namely that they come out of nowhere and the entirety of their philosophy can be summed up with "RAH RAH WE ARE EVIL! LET'S GO SHOOT YOUR DAD"). While they do make for some epic setpieces (I'll admit, I squeed when the Steel Ranger and the Applejack's Ranger had their last stand), it sucks all the delicious complexity out of the conflict and just makes it a very black-and-white "Us against Evil Sky Nazis".
No argument on that, though I'm curious whether you're implying you liked them better in FO2. They were still reprehensible, of course, but at least in FO2 they served the same function as the super mutants in FO1.

Scienza wrote:Nope. It's locked to Rainbow Dash, the Princesses, and maybe somebody else that I can't remember.
Not exactly. I think it used to bypass all ministry mares, just like the shield in the MoA basement, but Pip implied that once Celestia inhabited the computer, her soul powered it up and made it impervious to anyone.

Vinylshadow wrote:...the image of Velvet 'waltzing' facefirst into a force field made me crack up
It's not that I don't like Velvet, but I think I would pay real, actual money to see that.  Fluttershy

Well, okay, I don't dislike her, but she's definitely my least favorite member of that group. I think it's just that when she's good, she's good, but when she's bad, she's a bitch who rarely gets any grief for it.

Somber wrote:I really love FoE and Kkat... but I really don't like much from death of the goddess to the end.  I don't know what happened...
You're describing the part of the story where all the various plot threads get resolved -- I get the feeling that Kkat simply wasn't very good at tying up loose ends.

Scienza wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed FoE. In terms of world-building and internal consistency, it's pretty fantabulous. Kkat really thought out exactly how the adorable pastel world of Equestria could become a desolate sepia-tone wasteland and presented it in such a way that the seemingly impossible transition made complete sense. That's why the setting has become so incredibly interesting and popular to such a wide variety of authors and readers.
Hear hear! For all that we bash on FoE, it's good to acknowledge that.

Scienza wrote:The Enclave could have been a great opportunity for some really interesting philosophies or moralities (like in PH's characterization of them), especially when factoring in Calamity's perspective, but they just came out really generic and rushed. The feeling of it being rushed carries over for most of the ending as well.
I think part of the issue was that Pip kind of got her boss fight too early, against Red Eye and Autumn, which left nothing but mooks for the allegedly-climactic SPP fight.

As you say, though, the memory orbs and recordings are really the standout element.

Silver136 wrote:And I've also got to agree greatly with Virgil, PH ruined FoE for me. After I started reading PH and I went back go FoE it just felt... lackluster.
"Lackluster" is a great word for it. BJ is such a vibrant character that when I occasionally check back with FoE to reference various events, I'm kind of shocked how bland Pip seems.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:03 pm

Hullo again everyone! I've been traveling the world on work's dime so I've been quite busy lately.

I've mentioned how many times I hate FoE's ending arc and how that ruined a lot of it so I don't need to retread, but the two things that it needed - and PH delivered on spectacularly - were 1) a protagonist that existed as a character and not just a caddy for the reader to see the world and 2) a psychological narrative base that made it not just a video game romp with ponies. Somber set the stage in the first chapter with this and that's what drew me in.

While Pippers just acted a fool and socially awkward weirdo in the first then suddenly becomes a killing machine that barely expresses anything more than mild shock at what's going on (in a very handfisted LOOK AT THE VIOLENCE THIS IS GRIMDARK) way, BJ is established as having a confident but insecure personality that we want to see rise and fall and before we even get to the shooty bits that establish the world paralleling FoE, we have pages of her dumbstruck that the fucking sky is a thing that exists. That's a very "oh shit" moment to see coming from FoE that basically adds 300% more depth and realism.

I do have my issues with PH (antagonists for instance, we had a ton more development for Sanguine and Deus...and kinda wish Dealer's reveal woulda been a last chapter sort of thing or - what I was hoping - it turned out he really was a PTSD manifestation from the very first traumatic thing BJ had to do and she really is mentally unstable... and do we have any outstanding fromthebeginning mysteries left unsolved?) but it's hundreds of times better than FoE by far.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:26 am

Welcome back, Caoimhe!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:38 am

Welcome back! Twilight Sparkle 
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:04 am

Welcome back!
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:06 am

SilentCarto wrote:
Vinylshadow wrote:...the image of Velvet 'waltzing' facefirst into a force field made me crack up
It's not that I don't like Velvet, but I think I would pay real, actual money to see that.  Fluttershy

Well, okay, I don't dislike her, but she's definitely my least favorite member of that group. I think it's just that when she's good, she's good, but when she's bad, she's a bitch who rarely gets any grief for it.
Well... I'll make a note so this may happen, eventually... minus the money part... if no one else does it in the month or two it takes me to get around to trying.

Caoimhe wrote:Hullo again everyone! I've been traveling the world on work's dime so I've been quite busy lately.
Welcome back, ma'am.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:01 am

Well, I am once again failing miserably at getting to bed on time, but I happened to be on FIMFiction and noticed that Simply Rarity, despite having been posted for less than a day, is already seventh in the feature box. :)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:45 am

Hmm. Imagine that.
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm

Very nice work, Somber
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:35 pm

And now it's third. And this is with mature stories displayed, mind; it's second with that off. :D
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutcher Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:12 pm

TIL that Somber wrote simply rarity.
Will we see PH on Fimfiction as well?
Dutcher
Dutcher
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 9

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:15 pm

Dutcher wrote:TIL that Somber wrote simply rarity.
Will we see PH on Fimfiction as well?
Only when it's finished, if you want to get a head start on it have fun with all the formatting you'll have to do.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:50 pm

Scienza wrote:I'm going to disagree with you on that. Personally, I feel that the pacing in PH is usually fantabulous. It's a big, epic story, and so it needs the time to reach a natural conclusion and culminate the story arcs of each character, something I felt the original was less than satisfactory at doing. There may be a few points where the story drags on a bit or gets somewhat sidetracked, but hey, I love the characters so much that I'm fine with a rest or detour.
Yeah, I've tended to think that the pacing has been mostly good, too. There are a couple of exceptions, a stretch somewhere I believe in the twenties where I felt two chapters could have been condensed to one or three to two, and maybe 47 and 48 could have been brought down to one 35-40k chapter instead of 52k between them. But on something of this scale, having that happen a total of twice for me is a pretty good track record.

O. Hinds wrote:And now it's third.  And this is with mature stories displayed, mind; it's second with that off.  :D
And now it's on top, including mature.

Hi, Caoihme, it's nice to have you back!

Last edited by Icy Shake on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just a formatting adjustment.)
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:52 pm

Icy Shake wrote:And now it's on top, including mature.
:D
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:39 pm

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 25 322067-great_success
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:53 pm

My work here is done

*flies away and crashes because my wings use too much energy*

I can see why Blackjack hated her Alicorn upgrade
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Luminous Lead Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:Fair enough, since we've got stories that take place alongside FoE

MNS, PH being two I can name off comfortably

They work well as both tie-ins and standalones, which I like

Part of me would love to see a story take place 200 years ago, instead of memories 200 years later
Evilgidgit wrote:
I'm surprised no one has attempted some sort of during-war side story where someone from the wasteland gets their hooves on the Canterlot time travel spells and attempts to avert the future.
O. Hinds wrote:
The closest thing I can think of is this, which is by an author who, in my opinion, still has a surprisingly small number of readers.

Well, I don't know of any good DURING-war, but if you want a PRE-war and are willing to give AU a chance there's always Lacuna.

Luminous Lead
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 21

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Luminous%20Lead

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:18 pm

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 25 Somber11
And 68 is out!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:25 pm

Welp. Still drinking after the world cup, but I'm hype to read later!

Also, welcome back Capone!
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:35 pm

O. Hinds wrote:[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 25 Somber11
And 68 is out!
HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Luminous Lead Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:57 pm

Partway through 68:

Awesome... Levels... Riiiiiisiiiiinnnnngnggggg!

Luminous Lead
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:06 pm

O. Hinds wrote:And 68 is out!
*hugs you and Somber each gently*

Well gdocs is still being silly, but I got my copy downloaded, and I am definitely looking forward to reading it tonight.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:13 pm

Luminous Lead wrote:
Partway through 68:

Awesome... Levels... Riiiiiisiiiiinnnnngnggggg!
:)

WavemasterRyx wrote:Well gdocs is still being silly, but I got my copy downloaded, and I am definitely looking forward to reading it tonight.
Enjoy, Ryx!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutcher Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:35 pm

O. Hinds wrote:[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 25 Somber11
And 68 is out!
Its 3 am here and i need to get early BUT WHO CARES.
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 25 2Q==

Edit: anyone remembers the guy that asked for the chapter when it was released while he is in China?
Anyone got his details?
Dutcher
Dutcher
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 9

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thoroar Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:00 pm

Dutche wrote:

Edit: anyone remembers the guy that asked for the chapter when it was released while he is in China?
Anyone got his details?

That would be this guy.

ARoundCorner wrote:Is there anybody that could e-mail me a pdf of the next chapters, 68 and 69, when they come out?

I'm going to be in a place for the next month or so that *ahm* china *ahm* that frowns upon google and all it's affiliates, so I won't be able to get on the hub page.

my e-mail is chencharley_el@yahoo.com

if not, i'll be back in a month anyways.

Thenk Yus!

Thoroar
Foal

Brohoof! : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Luminous Lead Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:09 pm

Quick thoughts:

Last edited by Luminous Lead on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luminous Lead
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 31 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next