Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+40
CD
Retl
kingkodus
Caoimhe
Revan Seiei
Harmony Ltd.
Dekshuduph
Train Dodger
Admiral Stoic Rum
Luminous Lead
pokeperson1000
Technowolf
Valikdu
Thoroar
Stringtheory
Moodyman90
Downloaded Skill
FeatherDust
neoaustin
Loud_Taffy
OneMoreDaySK
MSCA
Evilgidgit
WavemasterRyx
ARoundCorner
Exodus Hero
Silver136
Dutcher
RoboRed
Somber
Borsuq
Derpmind
Shady
Vergil
Rayndalf
Vinylshadow
SilentCarto
Icy Shake
O. Hinds
Scienza
44 posters

Page 23 of 31 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 27 ... 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 23 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Shady Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:55 am

Somber wrote:Humans agree.  Aliens withdraw back to Antarctica and let the ice cover them once again, waiting to see what we do...
But if they live on the South Pole, can we still consider them aliens?[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 23 F57

WavemasterRyx wrote:Well... you can always rewrite it for the movie adaption, sir.  That's pretty common.

Radioplays and SFM works surprisingly well:

But then for PH. Internet, make this happen! Sweetie Belle
Shady
Shady
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 1

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 23 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Vinylshadow Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:21 am

Ah, SFM, the bane of my existence!
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:35 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:Ah, SFM, the bane of my existence!
Care to explain that phrase? English isn't my mother tongue and all I can think of is a certain DC Comics character.
Shady
Shady
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekshuduph Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:06 pm

Shady wrote:
Care to explain that phrase? English isn't my mother tongue and all I can think of is a certain DC Comics character.
Hates it. A lot.

I can't particularly disagree, either, though it is one of those things you just have to kind of ignore if you don't like it.
Dekshuduph
Dekshuduph
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 2

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:02 pm

Dekshuduph wrote:
Shady wrote:
Hates it.  A lot.

I can't particularly disagree, either, though it is one of those things you just have to kind of ignore if you don't like it.

Got it in one (Got it right)

There's a lot of awesome SFM Ponies out there, maybe one day there will be some for Horizons (There's readings, including one by the person voicing LittlePip in the radio play)

Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:10 pm

Shady wrote:
Well, "bane" originally meant something that slays or destroys. Like, a guy who was famous for killing bears might be called "Roland Bear-bane". The plant wolfsbane (a.k.a. aconite) was so named because toxins derived from it were often used to kill dangerous predators.

These days, the word is mostly used metaphorically for something that makes your life difficult in the set phrase, "X is the bane of my existence." And, of course, as the name of a certain steroid-using luchador.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekshuduph Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:17 am

SilentCarto wrote:Well, "bane" originally meant something that slays or destroys. Like, a guy who was famous for killing bears might be called "Roland Bear-bane". The plant wolfsbane (a.k.a. aconite) was so named because toxins derived from it were often used to kill dangerous predators.

These days, the word is mostly used metaphorically for something that makes your life difficult in the set phrase, "X is the bane of my existence." And, of course, as the name of a certain steroid-using luchador.
Very informative. Can we tune in next week for more Terminology with SilentCarto?
Dekshuduph
Dekshuduph
Colt/Filly

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:02 pm

Next week, we discuss disestablishment
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:37 am

Vinylshadow wrote:Next week, we discuss disestablishment
I believe in Equestria it mostly goes like this:
 Princess Celestia Okay, who made the Cult of the Holy Sisters the state religion while I wasn't looking? I have better things to do than deal with these ponies, and legitimizing them isn't helping anyone. Steward! Get me my legislation burning tongs!

Anyway, I hope that Everfree Northwest has been a good experience for Somber and anyone else involved. What events were you part of, what did you like, etc.? It looked like there were some interesting fanfiction events on the schedule, some of which seem particularly relevant here, like the How to Write a Villain/Redemption of Evil panel.

So, chapter fifty. Maybe things resolved a little easier than they might have, but overall it delivered the punch that the story had been building up to since Stygius entered the scene.

Chapter Fifty Running Thoughts:
Chapter Fifty Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Fifty Editing:
Other Editing:

Last edited by Icy Shake on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:59 am

Dekshuduph wrote:Very informative.  Can we tune in next week for more Terminology with SilentCarto?
Not sure if serious
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 23 Futuramafry
or just sarcastic...

That would sort of required a nationally-recognized religion in Equestria, wouldn't it?
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:31 am

Icy Shake wrote:
I believe in Equestria it mostly goes like this:
 Princess Celestia Okay, who made the Cult of the Holy Sisters the state religion while I wasn't looking? I have better things to do than deal with these ponies, and legitimizing them isn't helping anyone. Steward! Get me my legislation burning tongs!

Anyway, I hope that Everfree Northwest has been a good experience for Somber and anyone else involved. What events were you part of, what did you like, etc.? It looked like there were some interesting fanfiction events on the schedule, some of which seem particularly relevant here, like the How to Write a Villain/Redemption of Evil panel.

So, chapter fifty. Maybe things resolved a little easier than they might have, but overall it delivered the punch that the story had been building up to since Stygius entered the scene.

Chapter Fifty Running Thoughts:
Chapter Fifty Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Fifty Editing:
Other Editing:
Ah, thank you very much as always.

Icy Shake wrote:You've used "Equestrian" as the language a few times, but I think this is the only case of "Pony" (though there is also Principles of Proper Pony Speech, which could be either the species or the language, I suppose)
Hm. No, the language is called "Pony"; I remember it being used elsewhere. So, um… Sorry to ask this, but, while it isn't that long or arduous a task, I'm hungry and am already behind schedule tonight. Would you please add the instances of the language being incorrectly named?
Also, it looks like at least one instance of "Pony" wasn't capitalized, but I'm not going to ask you to look at every instance of "pony" in this story to see if it's the name of a language. It's not that big a problem. :)

Icy Shake wrote:And now I'm wondering, probably because I'm forgetting the answer that was already given: did Twilight have her memory of being pregnant removed in addition to her memories of her and Macintosh together?
Yes.

Icy Shake wrote:It is a well known fact that boxes are one of cats' favorite places.
:D

Icy Shake wrote:Yeah, this whole plot line is some pretty horrific stuff, and the pure malice of the Goddess just sells it.
Yeah. She was comic relief… and then she very definitely wasn't.

Icy Shake wrote:However, isn't Blackjack's breathing mechanically regulated, like her heartbeat?
Eh, it's flowery language.

Icy Shake wrote:Oh, and by all appearances Somber could probably write some pretty good clop, covering both some substantive story/character interaction to make it matter and the intimate mechanics to exploit them. Of course, he's said things here that imply he has written some, just never published, at least under his main pen name. Could have just been a joke though. We may never know. (P.S. The truth is out there, unless it isn't. P.P.S. I am not a crank.)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:19 pm

Heh...Wandering Moon is an interesting take on the whole Pony-in-Fallout scenario 

Reads a lot better than most FoE fics too (no offense)

I have a very short attention span, so if there isn't violence every ten pages, I tend to get bored, but I push through anyway because the story is that gripping

I'm sure MNS and PH will both wrap up beautifully 

If we get another Fallout Equestria ending, I am going to hurt something
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:If we get another Fallout Equestria ending, I am going to hurt something
I don't think that you've much cause to worry, but what exactly do you mean?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:12 pm

It's hard to explain and I'm bad with words

Just seemed like it ended rather abruptly 

Although I can see that becoming a demi weather god could have that effect on people
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:24 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Oh, and by all appearances Somber could probably write some pretty good clop, covering both some substantive story/character interaction to make it matter and the intimate mechanics to exploit them. Of course, he's said things here that imply he has written some, just never published, at least under his main pen name. Could have just been a joke though. We may never know. (P.S. The truth is out there, unless it isn't. P.P.S. I am not a crank.)
Sweetie Belle
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:36 pm

So that fourway between Homage, Pip, Glory and Blackjack DOES exist!
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:51 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Vinylshadow wrote:If we get another Fallout Equestria ending, I am going to hurt something
I don't think that you've much cause to worry, but what exactly do you mean?
It did feel like it ended a bit...sloppily? That's not really the word...but there were a lot of loose ends and little details that I expected a resolution for. Needless to say I never got them... How
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 24

Character List:
Name: Silver Shroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:59 pm

Nah, Kkat left that to other authors

We might not Have Heroes or Starlight if it ended conclusively
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:23 pm

I don't think that would have stopped them.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Fair enough, since we've got stories that take place alongside FoE

MNS, PH being two I can name off comfortably

They work well as both tie-ins and standalones, which I like

Part of me would love to see a story take place 200 years ago, instead of memories 200 years later
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Evilgidgit Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:23 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:Fair enough, since we've got stories that take place alongside FoE

Part of me would love to see a story take place 200 years ago, instead of memories 200 years later
I'm surprised no one has attempted some sort of during-war side story where someone from the wasteland gets their hooves on the Canterlot time travel spells and attempts to avert the future.
Evilgidgit
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:39 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:You've used "Equestrian" as the language a few times, but I think this is the only case of "Pony" (though there is also Principles of Proper Pony Speech, which could be either the species or the language, I suppose)
Hm.  No, the language is called "Pony"; I remember it being used elsewhere.  So, um…  Sorry to ask this, but, while it isn't that long or arduous a task, I'm hungry and am already behind schedule tonight.  Would you please add the instances of the language being incorrectly named?
Also, it looks like at least one instance of "Pony" wasn't capitalized, but I'm not going to ask you to look at every instance of "pony" in this story to see if it's the name of a language.  It's not that big a problem.  :)
If you want to make it easier on yourself, it could just be that "Pony" is the language and "Equestrian" is a dialect (or vice versa).

If you want to get linguistic, you could get a lot out of the relationship between Pony/Equestrian (which is basically English) and Zebra Imperial (which is Latin-ish with interesting tribal flavorings). Since English (and by extension, Pony/Equestrian) has a large amount of assimilated Latin loanwords and roots, this could indicate a past shared culture/connection relatively early in their development, such as a progenitor hoofed species from which both are descended. 

Or Latin just sounds cool.

Evilgidgit
Vinylshadow wrote:Fair enough, since we've got stories that take place alongside FoE

I'm surprised no one has attempted some sort of during-war side story where someone from the wasteland gets their hooves on the Canterlot time travel spells and attempts to avert the future.

I've got a weird headcanon which basically states that the reason that Twilicorn doesn't exist in FoE is because zebra time commandos edited the timeline to ensure that their greatest enemy never existed.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekshuduph Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Silver136 wrote:It did feel like it ended a bit...sloppily? That's not really the word...but there were a lot of loose ends and little details that I expected a resolution for. Needless to say I never got them... How
Having recently re-read FoE I must agree here.  However it's not really that bad in my opinion since it leaves a lot to be desired, and I think that's helped to sprout the popularity of its recursive fics.

Evilgidgit wrote:I'm surprised no one has attempted some sort of during-war side story where someone from the wasteland gets their hooves on the Canterlot time travel spells and attempts to avert the future.
Actually, I had that idea a while ago but there were a list of reasons (both in-universe and narratively) why it wouldn't work.  One of the biggest ones I thought of was that there would have to be some way of dealing with Pinkie Pie because she would be the first to know about a time-traveller, and would probably have them arrested.

...Actually, this brings another idea to mind.  A story following a ghoul's travels through the wasteland, having flashbacks to the past during each place they visit.  This would actually work really well with Rainbow Dash, I think, tieing in with this story.
Dekshuduph
Dekshuduph
Colt/Filly

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Evilgidgit wrote:I'm surprised no one has attempted some sort of during-war side story where someone from the wasteland gets their hooves on the Canterlot time travel spells and attempts to avert the future.
The closest thing I can think of is this, which is by an author who, in my opinion, still has a surprisingly small number of readers.

Scienza wrote:If you want to make it easier on yourself, it could just be that "Pony" is the language and "Equestrian" is a dialect (or vice versa).
Hm, possibly.

Scienza wrote:If you want to get linguistic, you could get a lot out of the relationship between Pony/Equestrian (which is basically English) and Zebra Imperial (which is Latin-ish with interesting tribal flavorings). Since English (and by extension, Pony/Equestrian) has a large amount of assimilated Latin loanwords and roots, this could indicate a past shared culture/connection relatively early in their development, such as a progenitor hoofed species from which both are descended.
Interesting idea.  Applying it to my headcanon (I'm not sure if I can apply it to PH's linguistic histories), it would make sense.  Pony would be a Roaman-Zebra-influenced descendant of the ancestral pony language of the ponies; the Crystal Empire's language would probably be in the same family.  And might have a better claim for the name "Pony", really, but they're too isolationist to care much.  Besides, there are plenty of Americans speaking "English" who'd be some degree of unintelligible to someone actually from England.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:29 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Hm.  No, the language is called "Pony"; I remember it being used elsewhere.  So, um…  Sorry to ask this, but, while it isn't that long or arduous a task, I'm hungry and am already behind schedule tonight.  Would you please add the instances of the language being incorrectly named?
Also, it looks like at least one instance of "Pony" wasn't capitalized, but I'm not going to ask you to look at every instance of "pony" in this story to see if it's the name of a language.  It's not that big a problem.  :)
Sure. And yeah, without being able to sort by case "pony" would be a little too arduous for me at the moment.
42:
There were large signs in zebra-writing mounted next to Equestrian translations.

63:
Still, Lancer showed remarkable restraint when the tip of a spear touched the hollow beneath his ear and a voice said, in soft, accented Equestrian, “I could kill you now, traitor. I should kill you now.”

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:And now I'm wondering, probably because I'm forgetting the answer that was already given: did Twilight have her memory of being pregnant removed in addition to her memories of her and Macintosh together?
Yes.
Thank you.

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:However, isn't Blackjack's breathing mechanically regulated, like her heartbeat?
Eh, it's flowery language.
And I kind of get that, but at the same time she pretty regularly thinks things about wishing her heart would race or her breathing catch.

Vinylshadow wrote:So that fourway between Homage, Pip, Glory and Blackjack DOES exist!
I guess it's possible, but as far as I remember he's never even joked about writing that in particular.

O. Hinds wrote:
Scienza wrote:If you want to get linguistic, you could get a lot out of the relationship between Pony/Equestrian (which is basically English) and Zebra Imperial (which is Latin-ish with interesting tribal flavorings). Since English (and by extension, Pony/Equestrian) has a large amount of assimilated Latin loanwords and roots, this could indicate a past shared culture/connection relatively early in their development, such as a progenitor hoofed species from which both are descended.
Interesting idea.  Applying it to my headcanon (I'm not sure if I can apply it to PH's linguistic histories), it would make sense.  Pony would be a Roaman-Zebra-influenced descendant of the ancestral pony language of the ponies; the Crystal Empire's language would probably be in the same family.  And might have a better claim for the name "Pony", really, but they're too isolationist to care much.  Besides, there are plenty of Americans speaking "English" who'd be some degree of unintelligible to someone actually from England.
Alternatively, have you ever tried to decypher someone with a thick Edinburgh accent? That can be a trick for someone not used to it.

Regarding the end of FoE, I had a couple of issues. The first is that it ends in a confusing anticlimax, much of which was not really necessary to finishing the story: for instance, Filly and Manehattan. The second is I would have liked it more open-ended, without the ten-years-later part, since it didn't seem to add much and kind of cheapened Littlepip's decision to take the place in the SPP.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Icy Shake wrote:Sure. And yeah, without being able to sort by case "pony" would be a little too arduous for me at the moment.
Thanks!
And if those were the only two mentions, then it looks like we were at least evenly split between "Pony" and "Equestrian", not counting the book title. I do rather like the title having that meaning, though.

Icy Shake wrote:And I kind of get that, but at the same time she pretty regularly thinks things about wishing her heart would race or her breathing catch.
Hm, yes, I can see that, but her respiratory system, unlike her heart, still isn't uniflow. It's probably a bit more variable. The lungs, unlike the heart, are also partially under conscious control, and they have to remain so for speech. Given that the bit in question is right after "We didn't talk", I think that an argument can be made for the interpretation of it as meaning that her respiration was running at the minimum unconscious level.

Icy Shake wrote:Alternatively, have you ever tried to decypher someone with a thick Edinburgh accent? That can be a trick for someone not used to it.
Or that. :)

Icy Shake wrote:The second is I would have liked it more open-ended, without the ten-years-later part, since it didn't seem to add much and kind of cheapened Littlepip's decision to take the place in the SPP.
As I recall, that's one of the things Harmony, I, and Meleagridis (where did they get to, by the way?) are mostly ignoring for our collaborative worldbuilding, aye.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:34 pm

Scienza wrote:I've got a weird headcanon which basically states that the reason that Twilicorn doesn't exist in FoE is because zebra time commandos edited the timeline to ensure that their greatest enemy never existed.
But... but why would time commandos (awesome!) go back to stop Princess Twilight's reign of peace and harmony? If anything, the show's timeline is the result of zebra time commandos from the FoE continuity.

Or FoE is just another mirror world, like Equestria Girls and the Reflections universe. Twilight Sparkle 

O. Hinds wrote:Besides, there are plenty of Americans speaking "English" who'd be some degree of unintelligible to someone actually from England.
Well, it's still ostensibly the same language. Even if pronunciation has drifted, they should be obviously the same when written down.

Icy Shake wrote:The second is I would have liked it more open-ended, without the ten-years-later part, since it didn't seem to add much and kind of cheapened Littlepip's decision to take the place in the SPP.
Ehhh... it's hard to cheapen the whole SPP situation, because it doesn't make any sense in the first place. They have a reliable, if unpleasant, means of travel in and out of the SPP; hooking into the SPP doesn't require any implanted electrodes or similar hardware that would preclude leaving it afterwards (and it wouldn't make sense for Dash to have commissioned a device that did); Pip isn't unique in her ability to use it, nor does she have any particular qualifications that make her the only reasonable candidate at this time. Her only objection is against leaving Celestia alone again, but if she can step out long enough to have a birthday party every year, there's no reason someone else couldn't climb back in. In short, her only reason not to make this a community effort is, "Um, just because."
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:29 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
Scienza wrote:I've got a weird headcanon which basically states that the reason that Twilicorn doesn't exist in FoE is because zebra time commandos edited the timeline to ensure that their greatest enemy never existed.
But... but why would time commandos (awesome!) go back to stop Princess Twilight's reign of peace and harmony? If anything, the show's timeline is the result of zebra time commandos from the FoE continuity.

Or FoE is just another mirror world, like Equestria Girls and the Reflections universe. Twilight Sparkle 

Okay, so this might be a bit of a stretch, but hey, it's still AU. Basically, imagine that the world is show-canon but that the same underlying issues that lead to FoE are still present. Imagine that you're a zebra military strategist. The enemy you face is unimaginably terrible, an alicorn who melds the magical capabilities of a god with an analytically scientific mind and a desire to push the study of magic to its very limits. The battlefields are straight from a nightmare, your last remaining troops being steadily pushed all the way back to Roam by wave after wave of alicorns and adorable eldritch abominations. You're two moves away from checkmate and the only way to win is to change the rules of the game. So what you do is alter the past to ensure that your greatest enemy never existed, that she remained a fragile unicorn, hobbled by her own insecurities and incapable of becoming the great Enemy.

This also explains why the time spell, which would be oh, so useful in FoE, doesn't exist. As part of their victory in the Time Cold War, the zebras ensured that Twilight never learned it.

As for why the world dies in balefire, the answer is simply that much like in the timeline they created, the Terminator zebras were ultimately short-sighted. Their only concern was eliminating Twilight as a threat, ignoring the ultimate consequences of such an action. Twilight never becomes a princess, Equestria remains divided where it really counts, and everything goes to hell.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:31 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
Ehhh... it's hard to cheapen the whole SPP situation, because it doesn't make any sense in the first place. They have a reliable, if unpleasant, means of travel in and out of the SPP; hooking into the SPP doesn't require any implanted electrodes or similar hardware that would preclude leaving it afterwards (and it wouldn't make sense for Dash to have commissioned a device that did); Pip isn't unique in her ability to use it, nor does she have any particular qualifications that make her the only reasonable candidate at this time. Her only objection is against leaving Celestia alone again, but if she can step out long enough to have a birthday party every year, there's no reason someone else couldn't climb back in. In short, her only reason not to make this a community effort is, "Um, just because."
So if I'm understanding you correctly, on that issue I don't just have a problem with the handling of the afterward, but also things established in the epilogue and the last regular chapter. That's fine too. I thought that most of that, except the lack of electrodes and Littlepip not being uniquely able to use the thing were only done then, and until that point it wasn't clear that they had a way out, but I'll readily accept I was mistaken.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Personally, my main issue with the ending is the Enclave and how they're handled. What we had initially was the awesomely morally complex interplay between Littlepip, Red Eye, and the Goddess, three characters who arguably want what is ultimately right for the wasteland and who each represent an interesting reflection or mutation of the other two. Together, the three characters play with what exactly it means to be a hero and the meaning of good and evil in a morally ambiguous world.

And then we get the Enclave, who still carry all that I disliked from their human counterparts in Fallout 3 (namely that they come out of nowhere and the entirety of their philosophy can be summed up with "RAH RAH WE ARE EVIL! LET'S GO SHOOT YOUR DAD"). While they do make for some epic setpieces (I'll admit, I squeed when the Steel Ranger and the Applejack's Ranger had their last stand), it sucks all the delicious complexity out of the conflict and just makes it a very black-and-white "Us against Evil Sky Nazis".
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 31 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 27 ... 31  Next