Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+21
O. Hinds
Stringtheory
Cptadder
Scienza
Ketchup
Craterfist
Tytan
Aonee
Scyto Harmony
Admiral Stoic Rum
Kattlarv
Harmony Ltd.
RoboRed
Katarn
Valikdu
StoneSlinger88
Ironmonger
Moodyman90
CamoBadger
cb5
Frost
25 posters

Page 11 of 33 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22 ... 33  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 11 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:04 pm

RoboRed wrote:
Last wrote:Robo's got a dragon type friend safari
I wish I knew what this meant.

It's a little safari zone containing three Pokemon you can't get through normal gameplay. Though since you haven't beaten the elite four it only has two. Fraxure and Dragonair.

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 11 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Katarn Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:05 pm

(saucy) button's mom.:

@Harmony
Everytime I've tried to write a story, despite having tons of ideas, I had hard time write more than 6k words long 1 chapter. After that..well, I guess my inspiration just runs out and I spend next few weeks on writing two sentences. Never finished any story.
Good luck to you with your story.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:06 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Do kindly fuck off.

Anyway, still trying to write. Making slow progresses, but still getting distracted by other shit. Currently navigating in the fog without instruments as far as where I'm taking the story goes, even if I have a few ideas.

The thing is pretty much taking its own course right now.

I think I see what some authors say about "taking a setting, putting characters in it, and letting the story develop itself". This is pretty much what's occurring right now.

This said, I'm still wondering how exactly I'm going to go from "normal situation" to "effective start of the story". 'Cause right now it reads more as a Slice of Life thing. Which is interesting, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure I'm going to last 100,000 words of that without it becoming pretty stale, pretty quick.

Just gotta work a bit more on the setting, I guess, to have a better idea of what buttons I could push to get the thing moving in interesting directions without it feeling too contrived.
I'm going to stop you for a second; if you don't think you can make a fanfic last 100k words without getting stale then it's going to get stale.  Too many people try to write some epic story and make it too long for the actual story and as a result it winds up getting stale regardless.  If you don't think you get it to last 100k words then aim lower.  The number of words in a story doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the story itself.

Keep in mind you're writing a fanfic, not catcher the rye or something. Too many people go, "I'm going to write this long story and it's going to be amazing" and after a while it fizzles out.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:16 pm

Oh, don't worry, it's not a question of quantity here. It's a question of finding a plot point that doesn't feel too contrived to make the story change its present course. Keypoint here being "doesn't feel too contrived".

I just need to work on my setting and characters a bit more, and it'll come naturally.

And no, it's not going to be something epic. If anything, right now it would even be the anthithesis of that. Hmm, let me take a quick excerpt, to show what I mean...

Spoiler:

Last edited by Harmony Ltd. on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:25 pm

I know how you feel in that part.

Personally my fanfic idea is still half sitting on the shelf; however that's for a different reason all together in that it's so far removed from traditional FoE fanfics that it wouldn't get any recognition at all or worse get people going, "ermagod no violence? worst fanfic ever".

The reason why it's so far removed from anything resembling a FoE fanfic while being a part of it is that it follows a android crushed under debris from the balefire bombs still stuck in it's recharging station and unable to enter sleep mode for 200 years, but still able to listen in on radio broadcasts. It's less of a traditional FoE fanfic and more of a outside observer's thoughts upon historical events.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:25 pm

RoboRed wrote:Now that I have things up and running, should any of you wish to Pokeymans with me in the future, my friend code is 0447-6576-4648
I give you my code as soon as I get home. You as well Ty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Basically, at this point I need to sit-down, and write-out:

- A full bio of all the characters I've introduced thus far and others I'm planning to introduce later
- Work out their prior relationships when relevant
- Work out their motivations.

Then I'll be able to manipulate the setting in the right direction to get an interesting direction.

The problem, if I can call it that, is simply that this kind of work is a pain in the ass to do as the pay-off isn't immediate, and showing it to someone else would be a really big spoiler, so there isn't even the satisfaction of going "Hey, look at what I've just written!".

But heh, good thing I'm writing for myself in the first place. It's just that I also like attention-whoring on the side with the result of that work.

Anyway, bottom-line: I need to get my increasingly-muscled ass to work.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Last wrote:
RoboRed wrote:

It's a little safari zone containing three Pokemon you can't get through normal gameplay. Though since you haven't beaten the elite four it only has two. Fraxure and Dragonair.
How doth I access this aforementioned safari?
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Not until you beat the elite four. You'll get sent there by the professor

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Last wrote:
RoboRed wrote:

Can't get Fraxure? I caught an Axew in Connecting Cave (and immediately after caught a Drifloon). Haven't found any Dratini, though.

My friend code is 3239-4000-4280. Added the lot of you. Got Y four days ago. Pretty good entry to the main series, I say.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:46 pm

I meant more generally some of the Friend Safari Pokemon are available through other methods.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Here's my FC:4570-8048-1815

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:47 pm

This is band #67 on the list of bands that I'm following. I never gave Melodic Death Metal any real respect until I heard this.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:34 pm

Canada is invading

Spoiler:
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:37 pm

http://hootbird.tumblr.com/post/71667042691/zrcalos-zrcaloart-timelady-of-221b
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:39 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Canada is invading

Spoiler:

Oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:43 pm

Spoiler:

The foul smell of maple syrup and pot rolls on the wind as the ice advances.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:46 pm

Last wrote:

Spoiler:

Oxymoron
This is funny to me, because that's actually one of my many usernames on the interwebz
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:50 pm

Spoiler:
Everything changed when the water tribe attacked. . wait, wut.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:52 pm

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 11 541451_194887824050323_41437321_n
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:18 pm

RoboRed wrote:*image
What would happen if a storm trooper shot at a red shirt from star trek?
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:26 pm

The joke has been made a few days ago, I believe.

The Stormtrooper misses

The Red-shirt dies anyway
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:02 pm

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 11 1530492_392717504196388_1809540125_n
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:35 pm

Harmonybait: http://kelisah.deviantart.com/art/Supermodel-423182705
Lastbait:
http://yula568.deviantart.com/art/Wither-423121059
http://qcryzzy.deviantart.com/art/Cutealis-vector-423350811
Guardbait: http://mantathemisukitty.deviantart.com/art/Gilda-423297874
Possible Camobait?: http://shyshyoctavia.deviantart.com/art/Am-I-Doing-it-Right-423039205
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattlarv Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:44 pm

@Harmony: (Pony names) Eh, find it relatively easy imo.

@EP: Oh Gummy, just had a RP session, zombie game, so much bad puns and humor... so much laughing. Not a spec of horror anywhere xD (and on a side note: humans shit themselves and die incredibly quickly in the "all flesh must be eaten" game... that, and mediocre tasks are incredibly hard to do. Most average humans got 2 in a attribute, and 2 in a skill. you need a total result of 9+ to succeed. If you're good enough to work with something, you have 3 in attribute, and 3 in skill. You roll with a d10. you do the math of the success rate xP Also, if you have martial practice with a weapon bellow 3,  you have harder to use a weapon related to what you are trained with, than someone with no training :D So if you have practice with swords, you get -2 to use a knife. While someone with practice in neither has 0 penalty. But they only get to use their attribute. Yay :D

@Frost: (centaur) The heroes 6 centaurs got horns :P

(only at page 9,, but meh, going to sleep now.)
Kattlarv
Kattlarv
Hydra

Brohoof! : 27

Character List:
Name: Dewflower
Sex: Female-ish

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:49 pm

You know I just had a random ass thought out of nowhere:
Global warming and nuclear fallout could theoretically be prevented and reversed with nanotechnology.
random post:
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:13 pm

cb5 wrote:You know I just had a random ass thought out of nowhere:
Global warming and nuclear fallout could theoretically be prevented and reversed with nanotechnology.
random post:
One problem with this is not only reaching the technology needed to produce these nanomachines, but also figuring out how to make sure they only scrub out the harmful materials you're trying to remove. For example, nuclear winter not only contributes radiation that you would need to worry about, but the main cause of it is the massive amount of ash that choke out sunlight. On top of that, you site that for maximum effect you would need to make sure the particles never reached the upper atmosphere. While normally that is plausible, if the ones using the device decide to deploy the bomb as an EMP and fallout spread, they trigger it to detonate in the upper atmosphere above where they want it. This knocks out power grids and disables communications, and spreads the fallout much further than a locally detonated bomb.

The issue with the global warming fix is that because of how much damage we've caused to the ozone layer and how much shit we've spat out over our existence, those gasses have essentially become necessary for the planet's climate to remain how it is. Simulations they have run show that if greenhouse gas production stopped or if the gasses were removed it would ruin the climate entirely. The gasses hold in the warmth from the sun, which is why temperatures are rising like we've seen. So if they are taken away or suddenly aren't being replenished by our industries, they've estimated that within 5 or 10 years the earth would drop into another ice age.
Basically: We've polluted it so much that the pollution is now required for us to survive.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:17 pm

On the topic of global warming, something a professor of mine posted this on Facebook

Spoiler:
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:22 pm

CamoBadger wrote:
cb5 wrote:You know I just had a random ass thought out of nowhere:
random post:
One problem with this is not only reaching the technology needed to produce these nanomachines, but also figuring out how to make sure they only scrub out the harmful materials you're trying to remove. For example, nuclear winter not only contributes radiation that you would need to worry about, but the main cause of it is the massive amount of ash that choke out sunlight. On top of that, you site that for maximum effect you would need to make sure the particles never reached the upper atmosphere. While normally that is plausible, if the ones using the device decide to deploy the bomb as an EMP and fallout spread, they trigger it to detonate in the upper atmosphere above where they want it. This knocks out power grids and disables communications, and spreads the fallout much further than a locally detonated bomb.

The issue with the global warming fix is that because of how much damage we've caused to the ozone layer and how much shit we've spat out over our existence, those gasses have essentially become necessary for the planet's climate to remain how it is. Simulations they have run show that if greenhouse gas production stopped or if the gasses were removed it would ruin the climate entirely. The gasses hold in the warmth from the sun, which is why temperatures are rising like we've seen. So if they are taken away or suddenly aren't being replenished by our industries, they've estimated that within 5 or 10 years the earth would drop into another ice age.
Basically: We've polluted it so much that the pollution is now required for us to survive.
Deploying it in cities before a nuclear war would still work though in that the explosion would kick it up into the dust thus preventing it from reaching the upper atmosphere in the first place. It would suck for the people in the city though cause they would get a even larger dose of radiation with the dust raining back down on them instead of blowing into the upper atmosphere.

Then put only enough of the nanomachines into the jetstream in just enough quantities to offset the amount we're putting in yearly and only a little over year by year. That way we're taking out a little more carbon than we're putting into the atmosphere every year. Stopping further temperature increase would be better than not doing anything.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:26 pm

cb5 wrote:Deploying it in cities before a nuclear war would still work though in that the explosion would kick it up into the dust thus preventing it from reaching the upper atmosphere in the first place.  It would suck for the people in the city though cause they would get a even larger dose of radiation with the dust raining back down on them instead of blowing into the upper atmosphere.
That's not what I'm saying. In the detonation I was talking about, the bomb never gets to the ground, it doesn't kick up dust. It detonates in the upper atmosphere after launch.
Then put only enough of the nanomachines into the jetstream in just enough quantities to offset the amount we're putting in yearly and only a little over year by year.  That way we're taking out a little more carbon than we're putting into the atmosphere every year.  Stopping further temperature increase would be better than not doing anything.
This could work if we can manage to get it right.
Even though I don't really see an issue since right now the prediction is that the temperature increase in the next 90 years is only about 3.6F.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 33 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22 ... 33  Next