Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions

+12
Icy Shake
CamoBadger
Stringtheory
StoneSlinger88
Frost
cb5
Scienza
Somber
Moodyman90
Meleagridis
O. Hinds
Harmony Ltd.
16 posters

Page 13 of 33 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 23 ... 33  Next

Go down

[Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions - Page 13 Empty Re: [Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:01 am

Anyway, to continue my attempt at making a more in-depth timeline of the Bitter War...

- As the NCR moves to better control the flux of trade in the territories under its protection, a simple but important fact become extremely clear : even by mobilizing all of Gawdyna's mercenaries, and even with the help of the Applejack Rangers (who are still busy dealing with their own problems), there just isn't enough people to go around to accomplish the mission. While the situation was somewhat under control in the previous year, as the combats were focused on already well-protected targets, it was agreed that all settlements needed to be protected with the same care, lest what happened to Friendship City might happen again, and again, to the weakest settlements. Thus, the NCR declared the universal conscription of all able-bodied individuals. Training of the Conscripts was to be handled by Gawdyna's griffins, the Applejack Rangers, and the Volunteers. It's around this time that the NCR's Armed Forces begin to take form. It's also around this time that the first real weapon-making industry begins running in the NCR.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

[Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions - Page 13 Empty Re: [Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:05 am

I did a thing...

Memories of a Volunteer:
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:45 pm

And for something different

wasteland historian:
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Harmony wrote:Unrelated... Remind me, but is Neighvarro the SPP tower that is near Appleloosa, or the one that is north of Shattered Hoof / New Canterlot.
Neither; Neighvarro is the SPP hub, not a tower.  It's location isn't given besides a rough "south of Maripony", as I recall.
Ah:
Kkat wrote:Rainbow Dash muzzle broke into a big grin.   “Just wait until you see the main hub.  Actually, you can glimpse its construction if you stand up on the roof of the hospital.  Just face towards the water tower and look about a hundred miles up and out.”  Rainbow Dash paused.  “You, uh, might need binoculars.”
The hospital in question is in Old Olneigh and the water tower in Maripony, as I read it, so yeah.

Harmony wrote:As for the prelude to the Battle of Tenpony, I'll have to think a bit about what fits best, thematically.
Sure.

Harmony wrote:Oh, by the way... As of Chapter 62b of PH, there isn't an SPP tower anymore in Hoofington. Which means Littlepip will not be able to influence the climate there.

Something to keep in mind...
…What?  Hoofington has four towers, and Shadowbolt Tower, as far as I know, had no SPP capability.

Harmony wrote:By the way, the "Bitter War Memorial" would probably be located next to the ruins of Friendship City.
That makes sense.  What altitude were you thinking of?

Harmony wrote:- As the NCR moves to better control the flux of trade in the territories under its protection, a simple but important fact become extremely clear : even by mobilizing all of Gawdyna's mercenaries, and even with the help of the Applejack Rangers (who are still busy dealing with their own problems), there just isn't enough people to go around to accomplish the mission. While the situation was somewhat under control in the previous year, as the combats were focused on already well-protected targets, it was agreed that all settlements needed to be protected with the same care, lest what happened to Friendship City might happen again, and again, to the weakest settlements. Thus, the NCR declared the universal conscription of all able-bodied individuals. Training of the Conscripts was to be handled by Gawdyna's griffins, the Applejack Rangers, and the Volunteers. It's around this time that the NCR's Armed Forces begin to take form. It's also around this time that the first real weapon-making industry begins running in the NCR.
"Now, I know what you're thinking.  'How is making me serve in some army any different than what Red Eye did?  Our town's always done fine on its own'.  Well, we're not Red Eye; we're giving you a choice.  We'll be taking a vote, in public and with officials randomly selected from among you, about whether or not your town joins us.  If it doesn't, we'll be on our way, along with any volunteers who want to come.  If it does, you'll be subject to conscription and eventual taxation, but you'll also be under our protection.  You're free to keep just looking out for yourselves… but remember that these ponies want all of us dead, and they're going to look for the softest targets they can find."

Harmony wrote:I did a thing...

Memories of a Volunteer:
Nice thing!  :D

Harmony wrote:And for something different

wasteland historian:
:)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:28 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Harmony wrote:Oh, by the way... As of Chapter 62b of PH, there isn't an SPP tower anymore in Hoofington. Which means Littlepip will not be able to influence the climate there.

Something to keep in mind...
…What?  Hoofington has four towers, and Shadowbolt Tower, as far as I know, had no SPP capability.
Oops. Didn't remember that. Somehow thought that Shadowbolt Tower was the one and only SPP tower in the city.

O. Hinds wrote:
Harmony wrote:By the way, the "Bitter War Memorial" would probably be located next to the ruins of Friendship City.
That makes sense.  What altitude were you thinking of?
Nothing much, 20-30 meters over the bay at most, for the tourists/visitors to easily be able to get on-board. It's just semi-permanently berthed to a cloud, to save fuel. The cloud itself is sustained by a little cloud generator, if we want to get into pointless technical details of possible importance. :)

O. Hinds wrote:
Harmony wrote:- As the NCR moves to better control the flux of trade in the territories under its protection, a simple but important fact become extremely clear : even by mobilizing all of Gawdyna's mercenaries, and even with the help of the Applejack Rangers (who are still busy dealing with their own problems), there just isn't enough people to go around to accomplish the mission. While the situation was somewhat under control in the previous year, as the combats were focused on already well-protected targets, it was agreed that all settlements needed to be protected with the same care, lest what happened to Friendship City might happen again, and again, to the weakest settlements. Thus, the NCR declared the universal conscription of all able-bodied individuals. Training of the Conscripts was to be handled by Gawdyna's griffins, the Applejack Rangers, and the Volunteers. It's around this time that the NCR's Armed Forces begin to take form. It's also around this time that the first real weapon-making industry begins running in the NCR.
"Now, I know what you're thinking.  'How is making me serve in some army any different than what Red Eye did?  Our town's always done fine on its own'.  Well, we're not Red Eye; we're giving you a choice.  We'll be taking a vote, in public and with officials randomly selected from among you, about whether or not your town joins us.  If it doesn't, we'll be on our way, along with any volunteers who want to come.  If it does, you'll be subject to conscription and eventual taxation, but you'll also be under our protection.  You're free to keep just looking out for yourselves… but remember that these ponies want all of us dead, and they're going to look for the softest targets they can find."
Eeyup. Pretty much how the NCR began in its early days.

RE the little texts : glad you liked them. I'll try to produce more of the same, in order to give a bit more "life" to the work. Plus, it's writing practice. Which is a good thing, I'd say.

Now, I just have to continue the timeline...

Last edited by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:35 pm

Oh, and regarding Neighvarro :

If we go by WovenTale's SPP Tower map, it could be either the SPP tower directly south of Maripony, or the one south-southwest of Geneighva.

Problem with the first possibility is that it's too close to Maripony to fit the quote you've shown. Plus, it would mean Neighvarro would have directly felt the blast of the Balefire Bomb that destroyed Maripony, due to their proximity.

Though if necessary, I guess the map could be edited ? After all, I don't remember references that would hint to an SPP tower being so close to Maripony in the first place...
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Harmony wrote:Oops. Didn't remember that. Somehow thought that Shadowbolt Tower was the one and only SPP tower in the city.
Eh, there's a lot to remember.

Harmony wrote:Nothing much, 20-30 meters over the bay at most, for the tourists/visitors to easily be able to get on-board. It's just semi-permanently berthed to a cloud, to save fuel. The cloud itself is sustained by a little cloud generator, if we want to get into pointless technical details of possible importance. :)
:)

Harmony wrote:Oh, and regarding Neighvarro :

If we go by WovenTale's SPP Tower map, it could be either the SPP tower directly south of Maripony, or the one south-southwest of Geneighva.

Problem with the first possibility is that it's too close to Maripony to fit the quote you've shown. Plus, it would mean Neighvarro would have directly felt the blast of the Balefire Bomb that destroyed Maripony, due to their proximity.

Though if necessary, I guess the map could be edited ? After all, I don't remember references that would hint to an SPP tower being so close to Maripony in the first place...
Ah.  Um, that's because the hub isn't a tower.  Sorry. Neighvarro is free-flying/floating.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:11 pm

That said, yes, I imagine that the hub has SPP capability, so that dot makes sense as the hub. It might be too close for what Dash said, but, as it's a mobile structure, there's no reason why its current location can't be different from its construction site.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:17 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:Though if necessary, I guess the map could be edited ? After all, I don't remember references that would hint to an SPP tower being so close to Maripony in the first place...
Ah.  Um, that's because the hub isn't a tower.  Sorry.  Neighvarro is free-flying/floating.
[record scratch]
[muffled sound of headcanon being hastily rewritten]

It's okay, it's okay, I've got it under control...

*grumbles*

God fucking dammit, how could I miss such a detail? Really? Fuuuuu-
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Though I guess this add another layer to the Enclave's decision to launch Operation Cauterize. After all, it would just mean they got a balefire bomb detonated awfully close to their biggest settlement.

I imagine the Miliozi would have a somewhat similar reaction if a megaspell went off twenty kilometers on the outskirts of Masozi...
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Harmony wrote:Though I guess this add another layer to the Enclave's decision to launch Operation Cauterize. After all, it would just mean they got a balefire bomb detonated awfully close to their biggest settlement.

I imagine the Miliozi would have a somewhat similar reaction if a megaspell went off twenty kilometers on the outskirts of Masozi...
Pretty much. Sure, the city wasn't actually touched, and in fact a bomb could be detonated on the surface without the users having any way to use it to damage Neighvarro. That does not change the fact that it was far too close for comfort.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:04 pm

Yeah, in that case, the Enclave actually had a valid reason to get worried about the surface, other than trying to distract its populace from internal politics.

It's just a matter of what exactly their 'solution' to the 'problem' was...
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:16 pm

...Hey, come to think of it, that also explains why they were targeting Dashites so heavily (at least at first, before they started targeting "everyone with an address below x kilometers"): they could see Dashites as the most probable delivery system.  On the ground, a balefire bomb still isn't actually much of a threat to the GPE; it's something to be concerned about, sure, maybe something to send special ops after, but it can't reach them.  Give it to an unscrupulous traitor who despises the good people of the GPE (as of course all Dashites are, right?), though...
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:21 pm

That may be so, yes. At least it could be an handy justification if they needed one to never let them return and shoot them on sight.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:17 pm

So, I was thinking... Given the Bitters have a portion of the Enclave's resources at their disposal, and knowledge of a number of Wartime weapons caches and research projects ; and given they'll try to avoid as much as possible direct confrontation,

What about the Bitters unleashing Weird Science against the NCR?

We've already got bio-warfare (Raider Disease is only a prelude, other horrors await), they tried to manipulate hellhounds to fight in their place... What else could they try?

Thematically, I could see the period as one filled with horror and paranoia on the NCR's side, as they never really know what's going to hit them, motivating them to invest quite a bit of resources into an intelligence apparatus and making them clamp down pretty hard on individual liberties in the name of security.

That would also explain why the "conflict" would have lasted for so long, as after the initial stage (the first two or three years of more or less open combat), the Bitters would have turned to covert attacks. And would have stopped after a while when seeing they would not be able to achieve their goals that way. Which is when they would have "evaporated" from the scene: what would have happened to them and where they would have gone being left intentionally vague.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:41 pm

By the way, reading my "Memories of a Volunteer"...

I think it's a pretty fair assessment to make that the NCR, or at least the generation who has known the Bitter War (it might be different for the younger generations), would be wary of any kind of warmongering rhetoric, be it from their own politicians or foreign ones.

The question being, what to do when an external power start acting menacingly?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm a bit low on sleep at the moment, I'm afraid, so this reply might not be quite up to my usual quality.
Harmony wrote:So, I was thinking... Given the Bitters have a portion of the Enclave's resources at their disposal, and knowledge of a number of Wartime weapons caches and research projects ; and given they'll try to avoid as much as possible direct confrontation,

What about the Bitters unleashing Weird Science against the NCR?

We've already got bio-warfare (Raider Disease is only a prelude, other horrors await), they tried to manipulate hellhounds to fight in their place... What else could they try?

Thematically, I could see the period as one filled with horror and paranoia on the NCR's side, as they never really know what's going to hit them, motivating them to invest quite a bit of resources into an intelligence apparatus and making them clamp down pretty hard on individual liberties in the name of security.

That would also explain why the "conflict" would have lasted for so long, as after the initial stage (the first two or three years of more or less open combat), the Bitters would have turned to covert attacks. And would have stopped after a while when seeing they would not be able to achieve their goals that way. Which is when they would have "evaporated" from the scene: what would have happened to them and where they would have gone being left intentionally vague.
Neat idea. It makes sense given other things we know, too.

As to where they went, perhaps some went to the Alliance or the Philomenans? I'm not sure, but it's an option. Those going to the Alliance would probably be looking to escape the conflict, as the Alliance has no problem taking in former war criminals so long as they can keep it quiet (particularly if those former war criminals have resources to offer); the Alliance wouldn't help the Bitters with their war, though, and operating in/from the Alliance would be difficult (and risk bringing the Alliance in on the NCR's side, once the Alliance established that it wasn't an NCR false flag operation). The Philomenans would probably be similar, though for different reasons; while they're behind pegasus supremacy (with unicorns and earth ponies and other species kept around for the work they're good at), the Philomenans don't really have much to offer in a war with the NCR, including transportation to the NCR. At most they have one potentially repairable Thunderhead, but the NCR has already demonstrated a capability to take those down.

Harmony wrote:By the way, reading my "Memories of a Volunteer"...

I think it's a pretty fair assessment to make that the NCR, or at least the generation who has known the Bitter War (it might be different for the younger generations), would be wary of any kind of warmongering rhetoric, be it from their own politicians or foreign ones.
Hm… Maybe, but that first generation is also the one that originated in the Wasteland. I'm not sure.

Harmony wrote:The question being, what to do when an external power start acting menacingly?
Well, I can think of several external powers, the exact number depending on how various stories (mostly PH and ATR; we could end up with anything from a smoking crater north of a stretch of Wasteland to a second superpower covering the eastern half of the peninsula; oh, and there's also the stuff in the Moojave) finish up.
Most obvious is the Alliance, but it's pretty obvious that, at least at first, the NCR needs to deal with the Alliance diplomatically (since dealing with it militarily would end with the NCR's early militia "military" being steamrolled by the Miliozi and the NCR doesn't yet have enough presence to endure in the shadows; while guerilla warfare might eventually drive the Alliance occupation out, the NCR would probably not survive). Later on, war with the Alliance would be a less obviously hopeless prospect.
…I'm not sure if that's what you were asking. My brain doesn't feel like it's working terribly well at the moment. Sorry.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:30 pm

I was thinking...

With Celestia One in its arsenal, and potentially other megaspells [1], wouldn't the NCR be tempted to / tend to become over-reliant on its strategic arsenal as a tool of dissuasion vis-a-vis the Alliance and other powers, somewhat neglecting its conventional forces ?

The idea being that, for a power with a limited resource pool, already struggling to industrialize, it would make sense to invest in priority in the in-universe equivalent of a nuclear arsenal instead of conventional forces ; so long as the conventional threats they have to face are limited to roaming bands of raiders on the frontiers and other low-key threats.

That way they have a credible argument to oppose to any attempt the Alliance could make to coerce them by force, and would have a credible deterrent to any power that would be willing to invade them ; while spending only a limited amount of resources compared to what would be needed to assemble a conventional forces that could achieve the same effects.

The consequence being that the NCR armed forces themselves, outside of the Strategic Forces, would have a notable lack of shiny toys, and rely mostly on the numbers provided by the conscript army, and using a few veteran Special Force units as the go-to tool when they need to slap a warlord in the face.

The military R&D of the NCR would mostly be concentrated on the making of megaspells and the means to deliver them.

Thoughts ?

[1]: because let's not kid ourselves, the Pandora Box has been opened two centuries before, and now their existence is going to be a fact of life for Equus.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:22 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:I was thinking...

With Celestia One in its arsenal, and potentially other megaspells [1], wouldn't the NCR be tempted to / tend to become over-reliant on its strategic arsenal as a tool of dissuasion vis-a-vis the Alliance and other powers, somewhat neglecting its conventional forces ?

The idea being that, for a power with a limited resource pool, already struggling to industrialize, it would make sense to invest in priority in the in-universe equivalent of a nuclear arsenal instead of conventional forces ; so long as the conventional threats they have to face are limited to roaming bands of raiders on the frontiers and other low-key threats.

That way they have a credible argument to oppose to any attempt the Alliance could make to coerce them by force, and would have a credible deterrent to any power that would be willing to invade them ; while spending only a limited amount of resources compared to what would be needed to assemble a conventional forces that could achieve the same effects.

The consequence being that the NCR armed forces themselves, outside of the Strategic Forces, would have a notable lack of shiny toys, and rely mostly on the numbers provided by the conscript army, and using a few veteran Special Force units as the go-to tool when they need to slap a warlord in the face.

The military R&D of the NCR would mostly be concentrated on the making of megaspells and the means to deliver them.

Thoughts ?

[1]: because let's not kid ourselves, the Pandora Box has been opened two centuries before, and now their existence is going to be a fact of life for Equus.
Well, firstly, I can certainly see the NCR deciding to do that.
Now, as to whether it's actually a good idea or just seems like one...
The most obvious downside is that this is going to lead straight back to C.A.R.E.; the Alliance has Profectum, after all, and they were already interested in superweapons. This is a perfect invitation to crank up development. Of course, that gets into the discussion, probably in-universe to, of whether or not C.A.R.E. is a good thing. True, it pretty obviously failed last time, but in that case it was deployed with the hot war already raging; as a counterpoint for the out-of-universe discussion of the issue, however apt the acronym of M.A.D. may be, the Cold War never actually did turn hot. It's quite possible that the NCR's plan could, while leading to escalation, successfully provide a deterrent to war. On the other hoof, well, C.A.R.E. certainly didn't work last time. We'd have to see.
There's another drawback, though: a few superweapons, even if they're very well protected, are easier to destroy than a country's worth of conventional forces. Since the Alliance can't really strip much funding from their conventional military (since their conventional military is almost entirely the Miliozi and asking the Miliozi to defund their military is like asking them to cut back on their air supply), the NCR investing in superweapons to the detriment of their conventional forces would be bad news for them if an NCR-Alliance war was ever opened by the Alliance taking out the NCR's superweapons; the bet made by the planners is then that the security systems they have around the superweapons can beat whatever the Alliance would send against them.

Oh, and I imagine that there'd be plenty of popular protests, particularly given how the Alliance tries to present itself to the NCR as a friendly neighbor just wanting to help. Hm. There might be interesting generational divides... something like this?
1st generation (grew up in the Wasteland): Against. They've seen firsthoof the results of a mass megaspell exchange, they put their trust in their own guns and those of their friends and family, and, while they may be upset with the Alliance for not helping sooner, they respect that it's never tried to attack them.
2nd generation (grew up during the Bitter War): For. All they have of megaspells are stories and limited use of them on the enemy, they put their trust in the NCR, and they only reason the Miliozi didn't take the entire peninsula is that they didn't think that they could hold it. As the Bitter War, which the Alliance didn't make the slightest effort to help with, shows, the NCR needs to be strong against outside threats.
3rd generation (grew up after the Bitter War): Against. The Alliance still hasn't initiated any hostilities against the NCR, and it's where all the cool imports come from. Besides, the Bitter War ended up being mostly small unit battles and terrorism, and megaspells wouldn't have helped then. I'm less sure about this one, though.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:39 am

Oh, and regarding why the NCR doesn't just megaspell the Rose Banner's territory: while the banner has a mixed reputation in the Moojave, Rose Eye has managed to ingratiate herself enough that such an act would not be well-received by the locals.  They mostly only hear about the NCR from travelers or over the radio, while the Banner is right across the river and happy to help them out if they need it.  Vaporizing the Banner, especially if the NCR didn't manage to get them all, would probably shift more people in the Moojave towards Rose Eye's point of view than away from it ("The NCR what?!  Okay, sure, the Banner did some nasty things, but they were always nice to us.  Did they ever actually attack the NCR?  The NCR wiped them out with a megaspell just because they didn't like them?  Well, now I've got to tell my daughter that she can't visit her friends south of the river ever again; the next NCR merchant who comes by is getting a lecture and a 600% markup.  And maybe we ought to start looking around for protection before the NCR decides that it doesn't like us too much either..."), making the NCR's eventual expansion into the Moojave more difficult.  The Alliance would also protest that it was unjustified (but would of course certainly not immediately dispatch agents to tell the people of the NCR how outraged they should be).  As long as Rose Eye only attacks the NCR with words or on the Banner's soil, she's safe from smiting.  The NCR knows this, Rose Eye knows that they know this, they know that she knows that they know, and she knows that they know that she knows that they know; a sort of truce is thus preserved at least until the NCR actually starts wanting to expand into the Moojave.

Oh, and I imagine that Rose Eye wouldn't actually help the Bitters. If they were just out to get the NCR, sure, but she's not going to believe them when they add "um, present company excepted" to "we want to wipe out all surface life". Given that and the diplomatic problems that she knows aiding the Bitters would create, she'd just do her best to keep the Banner and Moojave safe and neutral.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:55 am

The way I see it, the argument has two "axis":

- On the possession of a "Superweapon" arsenal.
- On the use policy of such an arsenal.

The very fact that the NCR owe its existence to such superweapons (Celestia One, the SPP, Lion & Mouse, ...) would I think set the tone for the first axis, at least when it comes to the decision not to have such superweapons at the NCR's disposal: the answer would be a resounding no on the part of the people in charge of making such a decision, even if the people might have another opinion. The point of debate here would be the size of this arsenal, and its orientation (what kind of weapons, for what kind of work/targets?). This answer would depend on the second Axis: What would be the conditions under which such an arsenal would be used?

That's the crucial point, I would think. And as always you'd have the Doves, the Falcons, and the people with brains and common sense in the middle.

I very much doubt the NCR would use megaspells against the Rose Banner. Some higher-ups may be tempted, but there would be enough around them to moderate their impulse that it would be very unlikely they'd be used.

At the very worst, like I touched upon a while ago, what might happen would be to use balefire eggs either as demolition charges in tunnels under the Fort, or as artillery / bombs if the NCR ever had the idea to directly confront the Banner.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:33 pm

Bottom line is, the form of the superweapon arsenal and its doctrines of use would probably be an ongoing debate, but I think its existence itself would be a given.

As for the form it would take 10, 20 and 30 years post-SR, I think we'll have to think a bit on that.

10 SR... We're just at the end of the Bitter War. Most likely, it's only C1, the SPP, NCR-made balefire eggs, and maybe, maybe some salvaged balefire city-killer bombs & megaspell facilities.

20 SR, it's possible they would have achieved the replication of megaspell facilities, and gained the ability to build their own balefire bombs. The problem would be delivering those: rocketry would still be very shacky, and I doubt they would have enough experience to make bombers making for credible threats to the Alliance. The most likely delivery vehicle for Balefire bombs would be the Raptor outfitted with relatively short-ranged balefire-tipped missiles, and the Megaspell silos, requiring people to point targeting talismans at the targets (kind of a suicide mission if you aren't a ghoul, an alicorn or a cyberpony).

30 SR, rocketry might be a bit less shacky, but still I doubt the NCR would be able to reliably produce things better than relatively crude IRBMs. Maybe they could retro-engineer old SAC-2's if they managed to get their hooves on functional ones, but I'm unsure whether they would have the industry to be able to build them or not. As for planes, they might able to build a few reaction engines, if they are able to build ramjets for retro-engineered SAC-2. They could build a few high-quality delivery systems, but I doubt quantity would be able to achieve quantity as well, at least with the resources at their disposal.

In the decades that follow, if the industry of the NCR manage to gain the ability to build talismans of good enough quality on an industrial scale, I don't doubt you'd see them cranking contraptions such as supersonic-VTOL crafts moved by souped-up levitation talismans.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Aesthetically, I imagine the future-tech aircrafts the NCR could produce would be dominated by arcano-tech, but still have a number of more "rustic" elements, improved by arcano-tech.

Example:

A VTOL supersonic fighter kept afloat by levitation talismans, but on which reaction engines are mounted (which work mainly with "levitation" fields canalizing the fluid fluxs), and which once they gain in speed use mainly aerodynamic forces to stay up in the air.

The rustic element here being the reaction engine, improved by using forcefields in its operation.

Of course, it would probably not enter service before 70-80 SR, but that's an example of where things could go toward.

Who knows, maybe the NCR could launch a pony in space by 100 SR ?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:52 pm

Anyway, the doctrine of use might be something along those lines:

"Any attack on the NCR's vital interests would bring about an overwhelming response in the form of unacceptable damages."

The exact form of these damages, and the exact definition of 'vital interests' would be left intentionally vague, to allow for interpretation. But it would be generally agreed upon that the threshold would be passed if, for example:

- A foreign power were to invade the sovereign territory of the NCR.
- A foreign power were to strike against the NCR's strategic forces.
- A foreign power were to initiate a blockade of the Equestrian Peninsula.

Interestingly enough, Fillydelphia, as it is not yet a state of the NCR but a Protectorate, is kind of a gray area. But as the terms of the doctrine are left intentionally vague, foreign powers would have to be suicidal or overconfident in their capacities to try and snatch the place from the NCR's control.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:35 pm

All of that looks good. Some comments on specific bits:

I doubt that the NCR could build SACIIs; the design uses a lot of zebra alchemical engineering and the like, along with various bits of tech knowledge that Equestria never really had.

Harmony wrote:Who knows, maybe the NCR could launch a pony in space by 100 SR ?
They'd be racing the Alliance for that, unless it was a total surprise. :) Of course, the Alliance might or might not initiate the race. I think that this depends heavily on how PH ends; Hoofington appears to have been the center of the Equestrian space program, so the NCR could be starting with anywhere from "Well, we know that the best way to get to space is to go in the general direction of 'up'" to "Oh, we've got a dozen repairable reusable rockets sitting around the launch complex and a bunch of ghouls there have all the knowledge needed. Just throw some money at them."
The Alliance, meanwhile, would probably just make use of their possession of Profectum to build on the old PR VentureStar-esq SSTO. Like the PR, they probably can't get the gems needed for a magic-intensive launcher.

And now I'm off to see a movie with my parents.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:35 pm

When we start seeing sub-orbital spaceplanes used as strategic bombers is when things are going to get interesting.  Tilt

Though if the Alliance already masters direct-line-of-sight directed-energy weapons in an Anti-Air role (aka "friggin' plane killing lasers"), it may makes sense to avoid launching planes so high up that you can shoot them from hundred of kilometers away with such weapons.

So maybe instead the preferred mean of delivery for missiles and other air-to-ground weapons might be things that go fast while sticking as low to the ground as possible, and staying as stealthy as they can to avoid giving advance warning to the enemy.

So cruise missiles and planes that concentrate on being highly maneuverable at the lower altitudes while still being reasonably fast. (note this is note indicative of the kind of hardware the NCR would field in 30 SR, but more the "dreamed" profile)
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:53 pm

Right, and/or on cast megaspells that can only be interdicted by special magic (the Hoofington and Profectum shields) and otherwise completely ignore the space between the source and target.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:21 am

O. Hinds wrote:Right, and/or on cast megaspells that can only be interdicted by special magic (the Hoofington and Profectum shields) and otherwise completely ignore the space between the source and target.
Isn't it already how the Equestrian megaspells worked ?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:55 am

Yes.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:00 am

So basically,

it would be far more cost-effective for the NCR to concentrate its efforts in replicating and maybe even improving on the old Equestrian megaspells than on trying to build the aforementioned fighter/bomber fleet; except maybe for "tactical" uses that would warrant only a "limited" application of destructive power?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 33 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 23 ... 33  Next