Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you think of the in development fallout equestria mod for fallout 3?

+5
CamoBadger
Harmony Ltd.
Admiral Stoic Rum
StoneSlinger88
cb5
9 posters

Go down

What do you think of the in development fallout equestria mod for fallout 3? Empty What do you think of the in development fallout equestria mod for fallout 3?

Post by cb5 Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:19 am

For those of you that are excited, like a electron going into a higher orbit, what are your thoughts on how a group of fans are working on the total conversion mod being made for fallout 3?

I am glad the group is being hush hush about it to avoid getting in trouble.

Me personally I think this will give fallout equestria fans and all the side fics a chance to expand the fandom in ways we wouldn't have thought possible when the fandom was starting out. The reason why I say this is that for fallout 3 there are a ton of people that make mods for it, even though most modders have moved onto new vegas. The reason why it's such a good idea in my opinion is that you don't necessarily need a powerful computer to play fallout 3. While some of the visual mods do require more powerful computers to play it gives people the opportunity to tinker around with the mods and improve them once it's done. What I mean by that is we'll probably see people making mods to improve the voice acting, the visual effects and what not after it's done and that it lays the groundwork for others to expand even further. What I mean by that is that it would lay the groundwork for people that want to make a project horizons mod, or a pink eyes mod, or a heroes mod, or even a murky number seven mod the opportunity to use it as a spring board to bring the stories into reality.

What I mean is that I am excited not at what it will be, but at what it could become. I don't care if it takes a long time to come about, because of the potential for the brony community and what they can do with it once it's out.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

What do you think of the in development fallout equestria mod for fallout 3? Empty Re: What do you think of the in development fallout equestria mod for fallout 3?

Post by StoneSlinger88 Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:10 am

I was excited when I first came upon it. They do appear to be working very hard on it with the limited resources they have. If they manage to pull it off and make it at least decent (which I'm certain they will) it should be quite fun. I really do hope they provide a lot of options for the player over sticking strictly to Kkat's story.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

What do you think of the in development fallout equestria mod for fallout 3? Empty Re: What do you think of the in development fallout equestria mod for fallout 3?

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:21 am

i kinda just want to see a video, but once that happens it will become viral

then it will be a nope nope nope....

then again because ponies...
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:31 am

StoneSlinger88 wrote:I was excited when I first came upon it. They do appear to be working very hard on it with the limited resources they have. If they manage to pull it off and make it at least decent (which I'm certain they will) it should be quite fun. I really do hope they provide a lot of options for the player over sticking strictly to Kkat's story.
Well with how long the story is I wouldn't mind all that much if they do stick with Kkat's story, cause the amount of work needed to put in every choice would be insane.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:05 pm

Trying to port FoE as is as a game just wouldn't be feasible the way I see it. Or it would probably be an at best mediocre game.

On the other hand, you could try to take inspiration from the setting and create a game which would be its own story. The sheer amount of FoE fics is proof enough that it's feasible.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:37 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Trying to port FoE as is as a game just wouldn't be feasible the way I see it. Or it would probably be an at best mediocre game.

On the other hand, you could try to take inspiration from the setting and create a game which would be its own story. The sheer amount of FoE fics is proof enough that it's feasible.
They could do it as a set of quests where you don't have to do them all in order in order to play the game, and if you know the story you can choose certain quests to skip or introduce other side fics quests as possible quests to choose. Like if you don't like the part where littlepip messes up and destroys bucklyn cross you can skip all that by lock picking at the cannibal town to find out they're cannibals and skipping to the point where they're getting the children out.

What I mean is have a bunch of the non-main story dependent arcs or the parts, where like littlepip gets captured by that scientist testing on manticores, where if you know the story you can avoid being put in the situation where you get caught or such, or if you want to play the whole game like the story you have the choice to.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Honestly, I don't see them finishing this. The amount of work they have to put in just to make it mildly playable is ridiculous, and I just can't see it getting finished before the FoE/MLP fandom fades.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:27 pm

CamoBadger wrote:Honestly, I don't see them finishing this. The amount of work they have to put in just to make it mildly playable is ridiculous, and I just can't see it getting finished before the FoE/MLP fandom fades.
Yeah, but they have like a proper team working on it and everything. They have 93 people working on it too.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:06 pm

I'd rather they just create the world to play around in to start with, such as side-quests areas, then focus on the story later on. Maybe an episodic release or something.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:04 pm

StoneSlinger88 wrote:I'd rather they just create the world to play around in to start with, such as side-quests areas, then focus on the story later on. Maybe an episodic release or something.
I just hope they continue to add things in once the game is complete and update it, or at least allow people to modify and add stuff in themselves. That way fans can make their own fanfics into reality.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 pm

cb5 wrote:
CamoBadger wrote:Honestly, I don't see them finishing this. The amount of work they have to put in just to make it mildly playable is ridiculous, and I just can't see it getting finished before the FoE/MLP fandom fades.
Yeah, but they have like a proper team working on it and everything. They have 93 people working on it too.
I don't know how it's going over there, but any team that big is going to have serious organizational issues. Lots of much less ambitious mods for stuff with way less people have failed because of how hard it is to organize more than a few people to steadily make something over the internet. Almost a hundred people, on a project that will certainly take over a year? It will be a miracle if it is completed.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Derpmind wrote:I don't know how it's going over there, but any team that big is going to have serious organizational issues. Lots of much less ambitious mods for stuff with way less people have failed because of how hard it is to organize more than a few people to steadily make something over the internet. Almost a hundred people, on a project that will certainly take over a year? It will be a miracle if it is completed.
You can see their group here-
http://theovermare.com/team
The group has two directors and each team has a leader. So they seem pretty organized.

Also they've been working on it since last july, almost a year ago, so chances are we may see it if not this year then next year.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:30 am

Personally, I'd prefer if they focused on the main story of FoE. It would be nice to finally have a Fallout game with long and decent storyline. Of course copying everything that's in the book would be kinda ridiculous since not everything was crucial to the main story. It would be ideal to pick the crucial parts as a main story and add the rest as side stories along the way. And of course since it's RPG, it would be nice if it wasn't completely linear but instead allowed for various solutions to the problems, allowing for alternate endings. Tons of exploration stuff and moar side quests can be added later by people, but no one is probably going to make the main storyline (well) unless the original team manages it.
But that's just me and my love for story-driven RPGs, it would be tough to make all that. Spike

TL;DR: In short, I'd like it done in the (promised) style of the Witcher 3, open world with proper long storyline (that takes up more than 5% of the game, Bethesda) and lots of side quests.
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 71

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:01 am

One of the biggest things I would like from this is for the people who will add in their own stories and such, like if someone wanted to add in project horizons or such, is for the community to team up and add in the stories in groups, like how the current team is making the original fallout equestria into a game. Also for people to communicate with others to make sure new maps and areas don't interfere with each other.

What I mean by that is if someone wanted to add in project horizons then they would go, "Hey we're adding in hoofington, chapel, and such to this area. If you want to help we're putting together a team to add it in." and for others to go either "Hey I know how to , maybe I can help out?" or "I was originally planning on adding in my own story to that general area, but I can move it so it doesn't interfere with your location" or such.

Last edited by cb5 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more clear)
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:58 pm

That would be a tough thing to do. Only reasonable way would be in my opinion for the current original team (Or someone else responsible enough) to keep track of what people want to add (meaning anyone who wants to do so would have to contact them) and if it's possible/reasonable or not.

However, if someone will want to add Project Horizons they won't have to worry that much about this, because they'd have to make a new map of their own for that. Keep also in mind that the scale of FoE map was substantial, they'll either end up with gigantic map, ridiculously small distances, or simply cut it into several separate maps. One way or another I can't see Project Horizons as anything else than a separate map, or set of maps, because of the same problem with the scale of it.

Also, I think the biggest issue will have their graphics team designing Pony models in avoiding the "uncanny valley", as we can clearly see in the many SFM videos popping up on Youtube/EQD. Be it facial expressions or proper limb movement.
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:25 am

This
People don't seem to understand this needs at least a thirty person team and two years to get done. And I'm assuming your going to be paying people to do it not asking for their free time. If not it needs a ninety person team and three years if it's just eight hours per week per person.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:36 am

Cptadder wrote:

This
People don't seem to understand this needs at least a thirty person team and two years to get done. And I'm assuming your going to be paying people to do it not asking for their free time. If not it needs a ninety person team and three years if it's just eight hours per week per person.
Well, they've got 94 people and been working on it for about 10 months now. It's going to be one hell of a challenge to finish, but I'm still optimistic. Spike
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Uh, so I know someone who was a part of the team a while back and he just showed me this...

What do you think of the in development fallout equestria mod for fallout 3? 13705810
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:03 pm

New Appleloosa is Derpy's town, right ?

This looks more like how I imagined Old Appleloosa / slaver town.

Edit : oh, yeah, I just rememebered now that there was indeed a crane in New Appleloosa, what with the crane operator being the one who taught Littlepip about heavy-lifting telekinesis in the first place.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Kippershy wrote:Uh, so I know someone who was a part of the team a while back and he just showed me this...

What do you think of the in development fallout equestria mod for fallout 3? 13705810
It's looking pretty good from the models. I was mostly worried they would accidentally run into the uncanny valley with the game. From this it seems as though they're going for a more cartoony/how you would imagine their world would look visually feel. I hope they go for a Okami feel with cell shading(not overdone and not in black, like how in mlp the lines are lighter variations of the body colour).

I think the game is going to look good.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:02 am

I just realized something.

Once the FoE mod is out if someone wanted to make project horizons into a mod as well it wouldn't take nearly as much time or as large of a programming team. What I mean by that is since hoofington is such a small area, and most of the buildings are just generic buildings then you can just copy pasta from FoE any non-plot important buildings and most of the models. Not to mention that FoE is the entire Equestria country, hoofington is just one city. So that would be much less work.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:31 am

Not necessarily. Given the sheer amount of locations and the size of the city and surrounding areas, crafting the Hoof would be an incredible task. Maybe not as monumental as the original FOE mod is, but still would take a long time even with a large team.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:56 am

StoneSlinger88 wrote:Not necessarily. Given the sheer amount of locations and the size of the city and surrounding areas, crafting the Hoof would be an incredible task. Maybe not as monumental as the original FOE mod is, but still would take a long time even with a large team.
I don't mean as in it would super easy, rather making the entire Equestria nation and all those individual cities, like Manehatten, Canterlot and all such is probably what's taking them so much time. The reason why is that Foe isn't just one city, rather it's a ton of cities, towns and such. I don't mean it wouldn't be difficult, just in comparison to making all of Equestria and the cities it would be much easier to do. If the original team added in Project Horizons it would take several months instead of a couple years.

If someone wanted to add in Murky Number Seven would probably be the easiest to make since manehatten would already be added in and most of the work would be story specific areas not crossovered with FoE. Which equates to Murky's original area, the stable, the mall, work areas, and such.

I would not be surprised if the fanfics that center around one city, or in areas that cross over with FoE locations often, get added pretty quickly by people.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:28 am

What StoleSlinger said, given that PH takes place only around Hoofington (aside from a few chapters) there's substantial amount of locations and buildings which means the Hoof (aka the area surrounding Hoofington) will be of substantial scale too otherwise it's be all cramped up next to each other.

They'd have to create an entirely new map for PH unless the original team decides to add the entirety of Equestria into their mod. Copy-pasting of buildings also doesn't seem that likely. Some generic buildings, sure, but there are still tons of new, custom, plot-important locations that would've to be made from scratch. Not to mention new pony/creature models.
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down