Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+16
IncoherentOrange
Valikdu
tylertoon2
Ketchup
Kippershy
StoneSlinger88
Meleagridis
Admiral Stoic Rum
OneMoreDaySK
Frost
Ironmonger
O. Hinds
Stringtheory
RoboRed
Harmony Ltd.
Aonee
20 posters

Page 17 of 32 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 32  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 17 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Ironmonger Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:07 am

Similar but irrelevant, the fertilizer plant explosion near Waco sounds deliberate to me. Yes, I know it could have been an accident, but here's what I'm thinking:
If a terrorist group wants to do a lot of damage but can't afford a bigger bomb, why not use one or more bombs as the igniter for a bigger one? Plus, the boom flattened three schools, the town of West's population is only around 2800, and the point of terrorism is to scare people. Flattening all those buildings would get someone's attention without noticeably depopulating a town, assuming it went off at a carefully-selected time or something.

That's just my theory.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 17 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:15 am

Especially given the fact thar that plant is near Waco and the explosion happened a day prior to a symbolic date for the far-right / christian extremists.

Though the thing, as you said the point f terrorism is to, well, instill terror in people's minds, to grab their attention.

To harp on the potential of that explosion being an act of terrorism, even if it isn't -mostly if it isn't- is doing the terrorists job in their place.

So, as always, there's only one thing the Citizens have to do :

Keep calm and carry on.

It's not as if panic ever helped crisis situations.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:19 am

Pretty much. Though, I gotta admit that it was pretty damn cool to see on the news, if tragic. Crazy

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:21 am

Trainwreck Syndrom.

Morbid fascinarion.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:23 am

BBC is once again doing live coverage, for those who are up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:30 am

What are they saying ? I'm at work right now.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:34 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:What are they saying ? I'm at work right now.
Suspect was brought to Beth Israel hospital in cardiac arrest with multiple gunshot wounds and they believe are injuries to the torso/trunk that correspond to explosives. He was kept alive for 15 minutes. It's unknown if he said anything before dying, or what the ultimate cause of death was.

They are interviewing a witness named Kristian somethingorother, who saw two cars crash just outside his house, heard gunfire and possibly explosions, and hid in his closet. Upon returning from the closet, he found a bullet in the chair he'd been in (shown on webcam, crazy stuff).

Other suspect appears to be being sought still, fleeing. EOD teams are working, a bomb disposal bot was used for something or other. Armed police officers are running about everywhere. White capped suspect still at large in Watertown (I recognize some of the neighborhood, come to think of it).

EDIT: Multiple reports of hand grenades.

EDIT: Pretty minute, but MIT classes cancelled tomorrow in wake of tragedy. If MIT's culture is anything like what it was when my mum was there, this is a Big Deal.

EDIT: Also, MBTA/public transportation shut down (buses, subways) by governor as a safety measure. This happens all the damn time and is not a big deal at all. Generally it happens because the trains broke, though, not because the police ask. Police press conference started up, listening in...

-Citizens of Watertown and environs asked to stay inside and not open door to non-police, businesses asked to shut down until told otherwise.

-Watertown vehicle traffic shut down. No vehicles in or out.

-Reporters asked for patience since local issues must come first.

-Individuals responsible for bombing, death of cop, and shooting of MBTA official, are being sought.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:51 am

Unrelated, but an idea I've had for a few weeks now :

One of the challenges of modern warfare, as we've been able to see in Irak and Afghanistan, is for units to have enough situationnal awareness of their surroundings to not fall into ambushes and other traps.

There's a lot of money being poured into finding ways to gain the upper hand on that front.

What I was thinking is : in the kind of environment this problematic pose itself, you can't rely only on the sensors of your armored fighting vehicle (as they tend to be limited to line of sight only), and sending scouts ahead of your way would defeat the purpose of trying to not expose your men to potential dangers.

So, why not send recon drones around the corner ?

Take a quadricopter, scale it to be able to fly for half an hour on a tank of diesel (to ease the logistic), put a FLIR ( en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_looking_infrared ) optical pod on it, and use it to inspect the roof of the buildings, look by the windows inside them, etc...

One drone shouldn't cost more than $50k (quadricopters are a pretty matrz technology these days, and they are relatively sturdy), so that you could realistically issue one to every units.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:57 am

Apparently, England is going to get some cold weather. Kipper, bundle up!

Yeah, the live coverage has hit a slow spot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:59 am

After a week of sunny and warm weather, it's currently rainy in France's south-east / the western Alps.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:17 am

So, the terrorist suspects are white. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to hate them or not.
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:27 am

Hate is a terrible, terrible thing.

Use contempt instead.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:40 am

Does Loathing work?
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:47 am

Yeah, that's a decent substitute. As long as you don't give too much importance to the sentiment's target.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:55 am

I get the feeling that Loathing is sort of a more general area-of-effect technique. Contempt is what you want for precision.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:15 am

Fucking shit.

The two suspects are Chechens / of Chechens origin.

Chechens are in majority muslims.

Shit.

Shit.

Shiiiiiiiit.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:20 am

To be fair, most people--at least where I live--realize that the vast majority of Muslims are normal people, not extremists Jihadists.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:26 am

You live in a city where half the population is considered to be a "minority" which was subjected to an apartheid policy not even 50 years ago.

That's the least that should be expected.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:36 am

Besides, Muslims and Jews are all my brothers in Christ

They stand with me against those godless atheist heathens
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:55 am

NI DIEU NI MAITRE
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:02 am

,Just gotta apologise to anyone waiting on my lets play video. Transferring over to SSD from HDD meant losing all the data i had, but i was considering redoing all of that anyway so yeah.
I'm also making KSP videos with ships based/designed around FOE.
So far i've done Littlepip and pt.1 of Homage, need to connect the two still though. Building the Blackjack will be... Hard, i think. It'll have to be heavy and clumbersome, but worth it
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:06 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:NI DIEU NI MAITRE

....Blargn....sbitlnoghleh
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:08 am

[quote="Overlong Analysis Cobalt"]Apparently, England is going to get some cold weather. Kipper, bundle up!

Yeah, the live coverage has hit a slow spot.[/quote

just saw this. I work in a fridge and wear nothing but a short sleeve shirt to do so while not feeling the cold - but thank you all the same.
I'll just steal your bodywarmth if needed,
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:27 am

When you think about it...

Putting a whole Metropolis of at least a million people under lockdown, mobilizing thousand(s) of police officers and soldiers, and the occupation of the mediatic time,

all just to apprehend a -single- -suspect-

Man, talk about commitment.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:29 am

The economic impact of pushing everyone to stay at home alone must already be counted in millions of dollars, dozens maybe.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:44 am

Considering they're hunting guy who likely killed several people, injured dozens more, and stands a good chance of trying again if he gets away, I don't think they're too concerned about the economic effects of a lockdown.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:55 am

Sure.

It's just that when you put things into perspective, you look at all that and tell yourself

"That was an effective terrorist attack"

I don't blame anyone, that's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation.

But still, with a few improvised explosive devices, these two guys managed to :

- Kill several people and hurt almost two hundred more
- Occupy the mediatic time for several days in the US and abroad
- Have a whole metropolis put under lockdown
- Cause millions of dollars in economic loss
- Leave a mark in the spirit of the American people that will likely last for a decade at least

As I said... effective.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:03 am

On the bright side, maybe we'll get to invade Chechnya. I've been itchin' to get at those Commie fucks for a while.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:16 am

I just bought some rocking mlp scented wash wipes.... Heehee..
so cute
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:29 am

My Dad works in boston, out at 3am filling up newspaper boxes and running deliveries.

He is home now but he was scary close to everything going down. His boss (60 y/o man) even had a gun pointed at him for trying to get on the train.

Crazy what happened.
tylertoon2
tylertoon2
Hydra

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tylertoon2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 32 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 32  Next