Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+23
Downloaded Skill
Derpmind
Moodyman90
Overthepacific
OneMoreDaySK
Meleagridis
WovenTales
Quotidian
Stringtheory
Ketchup
_Sindri
Valikdu
CamoBadger
Kippershy
Cptadder
iLateralGX
O. Hinds
StoneSlinger88
Frost
Sindri
RoboRed
Ironmonger
Harmony Ltd.
27 posters

Page 16 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24 ... 32  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by O. Hinds Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Are the changes profound enough to need a complete re-read of the chapter, or can the changes in question be summarized into a changelog ?
Probably the former, I'm afraid. Most of the chapter is the same, but many of the parts that aren't are small and scattered. If you're really pressed for time, you could probably get away with reading just the new Vitiosus scene, but there's other stuff outside that.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:48 pm

'kay. I'll see if I can spare two or three hours tomorrow to re-read everything...

(yes, that's how long it takes me to read a PH chapter)
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:58 pm

MUSIC GAME :

Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:28 pm

I'VE DONE IT
I'VE FUCKING DONE IT!
I'VE LEARNT HOW TO USE THE MANOEUVRE SYSTEM IN KSP.

And now I've got a space station that has an apoapsis of 110,000 and a periapsis of 120,000 - which to me, is good enough. No point in crying over a 10,000m difference.
To make it better, it's on a nice leisurely 90* angle and with perfect balance with Mun.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:29 pm

(Now to put more ship pieces onto the Four Ridges Space Station!)
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:32 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:MUSIC GAME :

Um... shit, toughy.

BJ scuttling around with hoofcuffs on, begging other unicorns to remove them?
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:41 pm

PHONE, Y U NO ABLE TO PLAY EMBEDDED YOUTUBE VIDS!?
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:02 am

I've now had my second major successful launch, the Eos Spy Probe.
Looking down upon Kerbin from roughly 290km in the sky, it listens in to cryptic transmissions with its antenna.

The probe itself is as small as can be while still having an engine, though as of currently it still holds its secondary launch stage as there's fuel left yet.

This time, the difference in the apoapsis and periapsis is.. get this... 500m
Yeah, 500m difference. I tried to make it closer but I couldn't.
Even better? That was manual flight controls, not manoeuvre guidelines.

So yeah. My secret spy satellite is up and running at a safe distance so it won't be spotted watching future launches.
Muahahhahhaha!
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:08 am

Daaaaang. Just... daaaaang.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:45 am

And thus LBJ was never able to put into place his projects of "Great Society" which would have given the US something close to universal healthcare, and a real foundation for a Social Security program.

GG, Nixon.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Nice artstyle, terrible grammar :

http://asktrolltavia.tumblr.com/

@ Robored : the song I linked previously was "One Step Beyond" by the band "Madness". If you encounter any kind of difficulty to open an embedded video or read spoilers, do as I do, click on the "quote" button of the post and go grab the link / read the spoilered text there.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Unrelated :

http://derpiboo.ru/272921
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:43 pm

And thus the fight between Brutalloo and Badass Seed commenced
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:49 pm

So, I went to have a look at the "Wasteland 2" website, and I'll be honest, I think I'm starting to get hyped for this project.

And even if it prove to not be that good, I think it still has a lot of potential to be a great piece of entertainment.

Also, from the vibe I get I would guess the publishers intend it to be relatively easy to mod. If it get enough of a community this should prove interesting.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:53 pm

I know there's a few aerospace nuts here (Hinds, I'm looking at you), so does anyone know if there's already been attempts to design / build a jet-thrust powered VTOL ?

Examples of what I mean :

1/ http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-19/dehr-malik-and-helicopter.html
2/ http://www.picooz.fr/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/v-22_osprey_tiltrotor_aircraft1.jpg (but with jets)
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:I know there's a few aerospace nuts here (Hinds, I'm looking at you), so does anyone know if there's already been attempts to design / build a jet-thrust powered VTOL ?

Examples of what I mean :

1/ http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-19/dehr-malik-and-helicopter.html
2/ http://www.picooz.fr/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/v-22_osprey_tiltrotor_aircraft1.jpg (but with jets)
Already exists.
Meet the F35B
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 F-35b-vtol-jet

It's not perfected, as of now it's a STVL (Short Takeoff Vertical Landing), but it's getting there.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:57 pm

There's also the Harrier.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:05 pm

I think Harmony was referring to what would essentially be a tiltrotor craft, but with jets instead of rotors. As he indicated when he mentioned the Osprey, but with jets
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Oh, there are and have been prototypes of those, but they've never entered full production. On example is the VJ-101
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 VJ-101
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Makes me think of the Pelican from Halo.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:10 pm

My "this is probably not the best idea" sense is a-tinglin'
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:16 pm

Mister Frost wrote:My "this is probably not the best idea" sense is a-tinglin'
You are correct. It did pretty damn good for a while, but when they tried to land it on an elevated platform the engines would end up sucking in the superheated air from the exhaust and overheating. Other than that, it was a good concept that was actually capable of going supersonic.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:23 pm

I'm no avionics engineer, but I have a hard time envisioning the necessity of adding a massive, massive layer of complexity (tilt-engine/VTOL capability) to an already complex machine (jet). For its purpose, one can see the benefits of doing so for, say, a rotorcraft, but on a jet you'd have several more hundred man-hours of maintenance for every flight hour
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:24 pm

All I have to say is, the day we get Orcas is the day I squee with joy.
Spoiler:
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Mister Frost wrote:I'm no avionics engineer, but I have a hard time envisioning the necessity of adding a massive, massive layer of complexity (tilt-engine/VTOL capability) to an already complex machine (jet). For its purpose, one can see the benefits of doing so for, say, a rotorcraft, but on a jet you'd have several more hundred man-hours of maintenance for every flight hour

The same idea behind the development of both the F-35B and V-22 : not needing a long-deck carrier to conduct seaborne operations.

For example, a given number of V-22 operating from an helicopter carrier, because of their increased speed and rather decent capacity to carry loads, can deliver more troops, artillery (like the M777), vehicles and ammunitions / logistics in a shorter amount of time than an equivalent number of classic helicopters. They also have an increased chance of survival during their mission due to their increased speed.

And as for the idea behind the F-35B, it's the Marine Corps as always wanting to be everything to everyone preferring not having to rely on the Navy to be able to conduct air support missions.

IMHO, the V-22 is a really good idea, with very good arguments behind it - now that the kinks have been worked out (read : its tendency to crash), it's a really good piece of machinery. The F-35B... not so much.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Also, I forgot to say that the V-22 has something like twice or thrice the range of an helicopter able to lift the same load.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:53 pm

The other thing is flying VTOL is a lot easier than flying traditional helicopters.
A hell of a lot easier.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:53 pm

That's what I'm referring to, though:

For a tilt-rotor craft, you're usually hauling cargo, troops, ect. When you try to work in jets (as I believe was the original nature of your post, unless I'm mistaken) all you manage to do is burn a lot more fuel in a more complex craft.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Basically, the idea behind VTOL is to be high-performance machines for highly demanding mission profiles that wouldn't be able to be carried, or with difficulties, by more "orthodox" solutions.

Currently trawling the web to see what kind of plans have been envisioned for attack versions of the V-22. Looks pretty interesting so far.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Mister Frost wrote:That's what I'm referring to, though:

For a tilt-rotor craft, you're usually hauling cargo, troops, ect. When you try to work in jets (as I believe was the original nature of your post, unless I'm mistaken) all you manage to do is burn a lot more fuel in a more complex craft.
Indeed. I was just curious to see if the idea had already been explored, and if yes what had been the experiments' conclusions.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24 ... 32  Next