Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+21
iLateralGX
Quotidian
tylertoon2
Downloaded Skill
Kippershy
IncoherentOrange
CamoBadger
Cptadder
OneMoreDaySK
RoboRed
O. Hinds
Moodyman90
Ironmonger
Caoimhe
Harmony Ltd.
Stringtheory
Frost
Sindri
Ketchup
CannonFodder
Valikdu
25 posters

Page 1 of 32 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 32  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. Empty [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Valikdu Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Sindri wrote:Oh yes, I believe that's why every SG-1 fan laughed when they announced Universe.
This reminds me of some... recent and upcoming events.
Again, remember to memorize the route to your shitshorm shelter. It could save your life!

Sindri wrote:some of the best villains in recent memory
Oh yes.
Chuck Sonneberg about one of them wrote:Imagine if Spock were a villain; sprinkle with some charisma and cunning, add a dash of Admiral Thrawn...
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by CannonFodder Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:08 pm

Valikdu wrote:
Sindri wrote:Oh yes, I believe that's why every SG-1 fan laughed when they announced Universe.
This reminds me of some... recent and upcoming events.
Again, remember to memorize the route to your shitshorm shelter. It could save your life!
What new news?

Also you guys are talking about stargate?! I love that franchise to death.
I love sg-1 seasons 1-7. It started to go downhill when they introduced the Ori though. The other episodes were fine, but whenever there was a Ori related episode it was just going downhill like no tomorrow. I loved Atlantis even more cause of Sheppard and McKay. Those two had the best distinct personalities that stuck out. Rodney started out kind of whinny, but you could see him start to grow a pair. Major Lorne I liked, but I like every role Kavan Smith plays.

My favorite enemies in Atlantis were the Genii and Michael. They were freaking awesome.

As for Stargate Universe I wish they had relied more on their own merit instead of going, "well this is what Carter did". It wasn't a bad show, it's just that some of the characters were flat and there was no major villain. Yeah the aliens were cool, but they had no communication with any of the characters. What they should have done is when what's his face got abducted is had them download their language into his brain so he could understand them. Like to anyone else they still couldn't understand them, but whenever those abducted were listening cut over to their point of view and hear it in english. Not have the aliens speak in english, but hear what those that understand the language are hearing.
CannonFodder
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 5

http://cf6.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Ketchup Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Now I need to watch Stargate, Babylon 5, and Firefly...

I like me some Trek, and I'm interested in how they compare.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:17 pm

I've never actually watched the original Star Trek series, just the spin-offs. My favorite of which is Deep Space Nine, since it has more multi-episode plot arcs and more character development than any other. And the largest space battles. Those are nice too.
It isn't uncommon to find Trek fans that don't like DS9, as it is less about 'exploring new worlds, somethingsomething' and more about the characters.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:39 pm

Ketchup wrote:Now I need to watch Stargate, Babylon 5, and Firefly...

I like me some Trek, and I'm interested in how they compare.
My opinions on comparison with Trek...
The classic Star Trek is just that: the Classic. It did a lot of things first, and without it a lot of newer sci fi would likely not exist or be radically different, but I can't think of anything it did best; the simple fact is that as a genre goes on it gets refined and the first to do something and the best at something almost never overlap. Kirk, Spock, and the rest of the Enterprise crew will always be beloved icons, but their adventures will remain the first fumbling steps into the awesomeness that is sci fi television.

I'm not going to go into TNG and Voyager; both continued in the exploratory footsteps of the original, both have their strengths and weaknesses, both have rabid fanbases I prefer not to touch, and neither managed to hold my attention through the full series yet when I have so much else to do. The episodic exploration thing is done better by Stargate and Farscape.

DS9 did station-based plots instead of constantly moving and only touching down for an episode at a time, allowing more complexity in the overall story if somewhat less excitement every time you sat down. They also went into interstellar politics, and did a large scale sci-fi war fairly well. It's probably my favorite Trek overall. My problem with it is that Babylon 5 did all of these things, better, in half the episodes.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:06 pm

I'm not one to say 'this show is better than this one', I'd rather say they are different.
Voyager, as a whole, is faster than TNG is, while Enterprise kinda just sinks in-between. Background plots do develop, but aren't too important and take a backseat to looking at the strange stuff. Voyager made me blank on some of the stuff they did, TNG made me cringe sometimes from awkwardness, and Enterprise was foolish at times.
They all have their moments.

I'd say DS9 has a pretty slow start, but becomes more interesting as it gets going. Best villains, too.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:56 pm

Well, I just got done watching the new Die Hard. Suffice to say, it was quite awesome
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:52 am

Mister Frost wrote:Well, I just got done watching the new Die Hard. Suffice to say, it was quite awesome
eh, I heard it's just another generic action movie, now I just watched the original Die Hard, now THAT was an awesome movie
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:10 am

stringtheory wrote:
eh, I heard it's just another generic action movie, now I just watched the original Die Hard, now THAT was an awesome movie
My favorite Christmas movie, for sure.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:19 am

Ketchup wrote:Voyager made me blank on some of the stuff they did
FREAKY SALAMANDER SEX TIEMZ!!! [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. 2113965524

Ketchup wrote:Enterprise was foolish at times.
I'd say that it was foolish for pretty much the most of the first two seasons. Then the threat of cancellation forced the creators to make something new, as in the Xindi arc, which was semi-successful... and then B&B got fired and the fourth season was actually real good.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:01 pm

Well, it was a lot closer to the tone of the earlier movies (especially Die Hard 2) than, say, Live Free or Die Hard was. I really like it, so I'd say at least give it a chance
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:28 pm

Valikdu wrote:
Ketchup wrote:Voyager made me blank on some of the stuff they did
FREAKY SALAMANDER SEX TIEMZ!!! [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. 2113965524
That episode was so bad that they retconned it.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Speaking of bad things :

https://cloudsville.rpg-board.net/t930-horrible-oc-names-concept

I want to play a game.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Also speaking of bad things, how completely awful was today's pony? Yeesh, I want to gag.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Caoimhe wrote:Also speaking of bad things, how completely awful was today's pony? Yeesh, I want to gag.
Dunno about awful. Definitely not their best writing; I'd put it on par with the Crystal Empire or Games Ponies Play, but not painful or gaggy. Definitely fucks their mythology, but I generally consider this to be AU after season 2's close.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:24 pm

I've not yet had the (mis?) fortune to watch it, but apparently it involved a shitton of songs, and if its quality is on par with the rest of season 3, it's not much to look forward to
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:25 pm

Episode was literally songs used to pad out time. Hell, there was a 2-3 minute "Twlight is doubtful" interlude that ended with a 2 second turnaround. It's painfully obvious Studio B was forced to do something they didn't want to do.

There was no "breathing room" between any of the events that occurred in the episode, just thing after thing with songs in between.

Last edited by Caoimhe on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:26 pm

I need to get watching the show again, if only for the sake of inspiration and finding out what I can get away with in my writing of a pony fic.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:36 pm

Mister Frost wrote:I've not yet had the (mis?) fortune to watch it, but apparently it involved a shitton of songs, and if its quality is on par with the rest of season 3, it's not much to look forward to
There was much singing, but it was not their best songs. The conflict was squashed down almost to nonexistance in favor of an expended fixing everything sequence (or maybe they had to cut all the thinking to make room for the coronation at the end?). The ascension was tacked on by executives and it was painfully obvious.

As for the general quality of season three though? Yeah, the Crystal Empire opening kinda sucked. Likewise, IMHO, Games Ponies Play (also in the Empire. coincidence?). But there were several awesome episodes: Too Many Pinkie Pies, Magic Duel, Sleepless in Ponyville, Wonderbolt Academy... Spike at your Service was kinda meh but that's the only other one I can insult. Yeah there were four or five kinda shit episodes. And yes, the truncated season means that only leaves eight others. But those eight were great, better than the average from seasons 1+2. The overall quality if FiM is still good, and I plan to keep watching until and unless that changes. Though the 1/3 of the time that executive meddling kills it means that there isn't as great of worldbuilding anymore, which might hurt future fanfics and means we can't consider anything from this season forward to be part of the FoE 'verse.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:38 pm

Finale would have been better if it was a dream sequence, because it was incredibly self indulgent for T-Sparx down to the ending "Weeeee loveee youuu Twlightttttt" from the rest of the 6. I was half expecting a pullback shot revealing King Sombra, at least then something would have actually happened in the episode to remember.

Also: All the dresses at the end really stood out and looked tacky. If this was on purpose as a jab to marketing for the toys, I'd appreciate it but yeeesh.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:03 pm

I can't really think of a single episode this season I liked. Too Many Pinkie Pies was... A Pinkie episode, so it should go without saying that it was annoying as all shit
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Scootaloo episode and Spike at Your Service (for everything but Spike's character retcon) were the only good ones IMO. It's been kind of a weird transition stage for Studio B and Pony in general so I hope 4 will be better. I can almost guarantee Twilight will be turned back somehow. Perhaps S4 will open a year or so after today's episode with Twilight burned out on princessing and missing her friends. That's pretty much the only thing I can think of right now to reset this mess.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:26 am

@Episode
Tara said that Twi's not leaving Ponyville and that not much is changing about the show itself. TBH, not sure how much I like that (the potential for things they could do with this is very high) but it's not a bad thing. The actual episode was... mediocre, I guess? Felt like it should have been part of a special. I dunno, I'd have done it differently, but I'm not the writer for the show. Anyway, wasn't a bad episode, I guess, not in terms of Mare-Do-Welling the show's themes, and I liked that Derpy was in it and all. It just seemed like all spectacle and no content.

Some of the magic stuff was interesting, though, depending on how literally we take some of what they said.

EDIT: I also may have run occasionally different music over some of the songs. /cough I'm sure they were good and all, but were I ambitious enough I would track down Daniel Ingram and play Kansas and Renaissance songs to him while he sleeps, to surreptitiously influence his writing to stuff in the right style that's more towards my tastes...

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:52 pm

So I've just completed Dead Money.

And now I fail to find anything wrong with the FoE Enclave blowing up Canterlot. Because screw this place.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Valikdu wrote:So I've just completed Dead Money.

And now I fail to find anything wrong with the FoE Enclave blowing up Canterlot. Because screw this place.

This gave me a good laugh.

I mean, I have my own problems with Dead Money and I can see where others would hate it, but in the end of the day I loved every minute of it as well.

I don't know why, I just do.

Though I will say that Canterlot is described as a even worse version.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:02 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:
Valikdu wrote:So I've just completed Dead Money.

I mean, I have my own problems with Dead Money and I can see where others would hate it, but in the end of the day I loved every minute of it as well.
I don't know why, I just do.

Though I will say that Canterlot is described as a even worse version.
I liked it because you can't just bring whatever you want in, so your power armor and GMG can't come with you and blow everything up.

Yeah, Canterlot was worse. The Pink Cloud is worse.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Dead Money is a place that you hate and fear, and that's exactly what you paid for so it's great.

As opposed to the Pitt, which was advertised as a large area filled with complex branching plots and grey moral decisions, but instead was nothing but a shitty maze and a single roailroaded quest.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:10 am

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. Somber11
Probably not actually a spoiler, but spoilered just in case people don't want to see it:
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:25 am

Dangit...and I was still trying to catch up with the main thread...
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:12 am

Oh come on! I was going to go off to bed. Now this! XD
Have fun at the con Somber, and take lots of good pictures.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 32 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 32  Next