Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+52
Derpmind
Downloaded Skill
Katarn
ARoundCorner
iLateralGX
Bootleg
skibadaa
Plasticube
Scootayay
Aonee
TalixZero
RandomBlank
FoolNeim
Karasu
Ametros
Regolit
Kattlarv
tylertoon2
Moodyman90
Somber
Admiral Stoic Rum
Quotidian
nebulous
Randombuttons
Meleagridis
Mister Nikel
Icy Shake
Sindri
Luminous Lead
OneMoreDaySK
Mech
hawkeye92
Stringtheory
Snipehamster
WovenTales
CamoBadger
Valikdu
RoboRed
Vergil
Kippershy
Harmony Ltd.
FeatherDust
Cptadder
O. Hinds
Kaidon
WavemasterRyx
CannonFodder
Ironmonger
Caoimhe
Ketchup
SilentCarto
56 posters

Page 32 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 32 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Ketchup Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:53 pm

I don't recall Bonbon at all, myself.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 32 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Exodus Hero Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:01 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Meleagridis wrote:
O. Hinds wrote: Honestly, why do so many people seem to think that that fics have to constantly reinvent themselves to take into account every last bit of new show canon that we get? No, really, why? I don't get it, and it really annoys me.

You may as well ask why every named background pony had to have some significant place in the war. Why Blueblood survived the radiation that killed hundreds of others in the mansion. Why Blackjack found Octavia's old place, and why it was her that Rarity chose for her soul-cutting experiment and not some other washed-up musician. Half of the fun here is fitting in the characters we know so well into a foreign narrative like little puzzle pieces. When another chunk of lore comes out, we scramble to fit all the new pieces into the puzzle. Not because we need them to fit... more because it is fun to fit them in.
Sometimes people can go overboard... bend over backwards to fit something. But as long as you don't force anything, what's the harm?
None, but I've gotten the impression that it often is forced. I suppose that that could be based on a combination of bad experiences and high standards, though.

I'll say this much, it could be an interesting plot tool to use for Discord in the story. Lets say for the sake of argument that Somber decides he wants to incorporate the new episode into the PH story line. It would be easy to say that Discord was able to manipulate the minds of every pony in order to further an unknown cause, which would explain why Twilight or Golden Blood don't talk about the current episode's events. Further more, it could amplify his malevolence of his and make interesting plot twist if Discord were ever to come back. Lots of potential and no need to retcon anything from the previous chapters. Food for thought.
Exodus Hero
Exodus Hero
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 15

Character List:
Name: Penny Dust
Sex: Male
Species: Filthy Mud Pony

http://exodushero.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Exodus Hero wrote:I'll say this much, it could be an interesting plot tool to use for Discord in the story. Lets say for the sake of argument that Somber decides he wants to incorporate the new episode into the PH story line. It would be easy to say that Discord was able to manipulate the minds of every pony in order to further an unknown cause, which would explain why Twilight or Golden Blood don't talk about the current episode's events. Further more, it could amplify his malevolence of his and make interesting plot twist if Discord were ever to come back. Lots of potential and no need to retcon anything from the previous chapters. Food for thought.

The real problem is that Somber would have to retcon away all the bad writing in the episode. I enjoyed the episode, but that's in spite of everything the writer did. Just thinking about the writing in that episode curls my thoughts in bad directions. It's like listening to someone scratch a blackboard, only the claws are made of narrative stupidity and the blackboard's our beloved show.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:55 pm

Meleagridis wrote:
But even getting fused to a bench is a deliberate callout- a specific reference to Lyra instead of an unfortunate nameless who was frozen in a position more standard. It's integrating the show. Not as drastic as adapting canon, but it's the same driving force. "Let's fit this in."

Sure, both might be motivated by the same instincts, but the two are categorically different things, particularly where new information is concerned. Incorporating, say, Shining Armor would require rethinking Twilight, her mother, the fate of Canterlot, et cetera; using the second Trixie episode would pretty much contradict established Fo:E canon regarding her interactions with Twilight. Incorporating the Flim Flam Brothers required . . . absolutely nothing. There was never indication that they ever did, or did not, have an impact on events prior to their inclusion in PH.

I'm sure that nobody has said anything against using new things in the show in general. That would be kind of dumb, considering this is fan fiction we're talking about. But many have pointed out the importance of selectivity, and at least one or two have argued for the primacy of Fo:E canon over FiM canon after some point in Season Two.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:18 pm

Icy Shake wrote:Incorporating, say, Shining Armor would require rethinking Twilight, her mother, the fate of Canterlot, et cetera
Aye; this is one of the parts of PH that I try very hard to ignore.

Icy Shake wrote:But many have pointed out the importance of selectivity, and at least one or two have argued for the primacy of Fo:E canon over FiM canon after some point in Season Two.
Definitely in that camp.

-------

https://cloudsville.rpg-board.net/viewtopic.forum?t=913
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32