Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+37
hawkeye92
Computer1337
Jeremyrush
Teddy Rex
Valikdu
SilentCarto
Necr0maNceR
Moodyman90
CamoBadger
nebulous
OBS.GS.§S
Katarn
FeatherDust
Frost
Orm
RoboRed
Ametros
Icy Shake
tylertoon2
Downloaded Skill
Stringtheory
Kippershy
Admiral Stoic Rum
Ironmonger
Aonee
OneMoreDaySK
O. Hinds
Ketchup
Sindri
WavemasterRyx
IncoherentOrange
Somber
Cptadder
Meleagridis
Vergil
Caoimhe
41 posters

Page 1 of 32 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Caoimhe Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:40 pm

ScytoHarmony wrote:Any updates on the chapter?

Somber said a few days ago that he deleted 5 pages from the chapter because a scene was going on for too long.

All I kept thinking was 5 pages for me is several hours of work. I can't believe the discipline Somber has for his story.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Vergil Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Anything is possible if you love your own story. Also being Somber helps.

NO GETTING SICK IS ALLOWED. GETTING SICK SUCKS.
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Caoimhe wrote:
Likewise I think FoE fics should be frozen at this point away from FiM series progression. There really is no need to incorporate elements from anything coming up unless it really calls for it.

Then the Keevster wrote:At this point, FoE is its own monster. There's no longer a need for wink and nudge stuff to remind people where its roots are. Be creative!

The most breif reply is in your words. These stories, most of them self contained, have as much reason to ignore everything after season three as they do to adhere to it. Changelings are mentioned or even featured and explained, minotaurs come into the fold, none of these things are bad for the setting.
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by 222222 Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:23 pm

My little sister asked me to watch a movie with her, and I said no because there are very few things suitable for eight year olds that I find enjoyable. Then I took out my phone to check this pony forum. And then I was buried in a heaping steaming pile of irony and hypocrisy, so now I'm watching her movie with her. Wish me luck.
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 34

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:20 pm

stringtheory wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:Also new banner and avatar!
ugh, a image banner in a sig, Applejacks (warning, incoming rant, it's not particularly directed at you, just at those who have giant image banners in their sigs), in my opinion having a image banner is like having a fanfare of trumpets sound every time you post, sure it's interesting/awesome the first few times, but it becomes an annoying space waster very quickly How, yes 'we' know you posted, why do we need this big gaudy image distracting us from the actual post? another peeve of mine is when someone's sig is so long it's longer then their actual post...
Firefox Adblock plus, adblock the image link itself and wam no more banner. I do it with dozens of images that suck up bandwidth I could be using for something else on my cellphone. If Ironmonger wants to stick an image in his sig more power to him. But regardless of how good it is... generally speaking I adblock all sig images on my phone. On my main computer I keep them to help with quick scrolling IDing of posts

Erumpet wrote:My little sister asked me to watch a movie with her, and I said no because there are very few things suitable for eight year olds that I find enjoyable. Then I took out my phone to check this pony forum. And then I was buried in a heaping steaming pile of irony and hypocrisy, so now I'm watching her movie with her. Wish me luck.
Hey now there are things marketed to eight your olds your well within your right to skip. But your a brother not a father so your not obligated to watch everything even the terrible stuff.

Besides you can pull that forcing the choice trick, "oh sis you like this well why don't you watch X(A superior product) and tell me how you like it"

@Everyone talking about FoE canon and side stories and content.
Myself I view as a sanity check, not focusing on anything in particular (As I have odd tastes in the most surprising fields) but instead simply acting as a simple "does this make sense". Sociology is a personal interest of mine as I like O.Hinds love world building authors. The RR Martins, the Webers and so on. People who build fascinating worlds (Weber is most guilty of this) and then sometimes put trite stories or some what less interesting stories in them.

So that's where I sit, write down some head canon and I'll put it through the Sanity Check 5000 (With Doppler 9000 Weather radar!) and see what kind of sense it makes.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:33 pm

To expand on that last post, for example if your run a statistical analysis of the size of FoE cities, the rough amount of ponies per square mile then look at ghoulification in radius of the bomb you can quickly figure out there should be a band about two miles across.

This band would consist of those far enough away from the explosion to get that instant burst of magical radiation then reference them against construction methods and ambient shielding.

Ambient shielding is a term from real life nuclear initiation calculation. It refers to all the "stuff" between you an the initiation point. For example did you know standing under a sheet metal awning one mile away from a 100 kiloton initiation point increases your chances of survival by a significant statistical percentage.

This Ambient shielding refers to everything from panes of glass to the leaves on trees between you and ground zero and how each affects the incapacitation/kill/wound tripod.

What's this have to do with Ghouls?
Simple, apply a very rough bit of this to the detonation of the megaspells and you can use average population numbers to determine where exactly this band of "survivability as a ghoul" vs "Burn to death" vs "Die of radiation" lies. Ghoulification seems to be very conditional. Most people who get a massive dose of rads die as do most who get long term slow term rad dosage. However magical radiation seems to affect a great number (I'd guess as high as twenty percent) with mutation before death and the right set of circumstances leads to ghoulification rather than death to radiation.

Meaning you can determine that depending on the shielding from the initiation point of the megapsell there should be a sphere centered there where Ghoulification would have occurred. Naturally things like magical defenses and building construction make it a very imperfect sphere with some sides bulging in, some budging out. But you should be able to get a good idea of how many ponies should have been in that sphere.

And my rough numbers show someplace like Fillyphelia should have had between 18,000 all the way up to 165,000 ghouls depending on initiation point and population of fillydephia (From 200k all the way to 3 million)

But such cities are not the slavering dens of undead zombie ponies. In fact except for sealed facilities they are rare on the streets.
Which raises an important question as to why
Needless to say I have a head canon answer.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:46 pm

Sorry everypony but due to my grotesque and manifest failures, chapter 51 will not be completed this weekend. This is completely me fault and I apologize deeply for it.

Sorry.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by 222222 Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:47 pm

I officially forgive you. Now no one else need comment.
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 34

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Deadlines are immaterial! Worry not about those that do not harm you in some way if you miss them.

...I know this one won't hurt you in the least. Waiting is something we are all fully capable and willing to do. Writing well is a rarer skill, one you apparently possess, and one that should not be pushed too hard.

Never ever ever rush art.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:53 pm

It's all right Somber, we understand. Just take your time with it, we're more then willing to wait.

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:56 pm

I still have to read it! [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion 1751538862

Edit: Woah Swicked, incoming 1000th post. You know what this means.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Somber wrote:Sorry everypony but due to my grotesque and manifest failures, chapter 51 will not be completed this weekend. This is completely me fault and I apologize deeply for it.

Sorry.
*gives Somber a gentle hug* It's okay, sir. I just hope you're alright, we can wait easily.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:11 pm

Somber wrote:Sorry everypony but due to my grotesque and manifest failures, chapter 51 will not be completed this weekend. This is completely me fault and I apologize deeply for it.

Sorry.
...Grotesque and manifest? Ew.

Seriously though, you failed to deliver on a promise you never made regarding the timing of free literature over the internet? I demand my money back. (Wait, shit, I'm not paying you) In that case I demand you stop apologizing. (Never gonna happen) Fine! I demand internet hugs. By which I mean offer.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Sindri wrote:

Sorry.
Seriously though, you failed to deliver on a promise you never made regarding the timing of free literature over the internet? I demand my money back. (Wait, shit, I'm not paying you) In that case I demand you stop apologizing. (Never gonna happen) Fine! I demand internet hugs. By which I mean offer.
This. Especially the hugs part.

I'm rather relieved, actually. Lots of stuff happening this Thanksgiving weekend.
Speaking of thanks, thanks for writing, no matter how long it takes.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:34 pm

Honestly quite relieved. No computer=can't read PH=no more sneaking a peak at the comments thread after a new chapter comes out.

Cptadder wrote:
So that's where I sit, write down some head canon and I'll put it through the Sanity Check 5000 (With Doppler 9000 Weather radar!) and see what kind of sense it makes.

Is that an offer? Because I've been waiting for an excuse to gab my thoughts about bovines.
Okay, I'll be honest- I just wanted to make a couple of cow puns and then reference Fallout. I'm not quite so skilled at... well, thinking. It may not be saying much, but I'm nO. Hinds. Still, I ended up spitting out a wall of text with a couple theories on brahmin, so...

WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS:

Ehem. Also, Cow Guai scouts are moomentarii.

Last edited by Meleagridis on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Sorry.
Chapter 51 is a victim of bad luck, needing a bit more work than usual, and real life circumstances (Somber's teaching and both I and Bronode are university students) getting in the way. There's no need for you to apologize.
Anyway, we're still faster than quite a great many writers/writing teams out there, and I'm pretty confident that we'll be able to get 51 out next weekend (barring surprises).
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:45 pm

Cptadder wrote:To expand on that last post, for example if your run a statistical analysis of the size of FoE cities, the rough amount of ponies per square mile then look at ghoulification in radius of the bomb you can quickly figure out there should be a band about two miles across.

This band would consist of those far enough away from the explosion to get that instant burst of magical radiation then reference them against construction methods and ambient shielding.

Ambient shielding is a term from real life nuclear initiation calculation. It refers to all the "stuff" between you an the initiation point. For example did you know standing under a sheet metal awning one mile away from a 100 kiloton initiation point increases your chances of survival by a significant statistical percentage.

This Ambient shielding refers to everything from panes of glass to the leaves on trees between you and ground zero and how each affects the incapacitation/kill/wound tripod.

What's this have to do with Ghouls?
Simple, apply a very rough bit of this to the detonation of the megaspells and you can use average population numbers to determine where exactly this band of "survivability as a ghoul" vs "Burn to death" vs "Die of radiation" lies. Ghoulification seems to be very conditional. Most people who get a massive dose of rads die as do most who get long term slow term rad dosage. However magical radiation seems to affect a great number (I'd guess as high as twenty percent) with mutation before death and the right set of circumstances leads to ghoulification rather than death to radiation.

Meaning you can determine that depending on the shielding from the initiation point of the megapsell there should be a sphere centered there where Ghoulification would have occurred. Naturally things like magical defenses and building construction make it a very imperfect sphere with some sides bulging in, some budging out. But you should be able to get a good idea of how many ponies should have been in that sphere.

And my rough numbers show someplace like Fillyphelia should have had between 18,000 all the way up to 165,000 ghouls depending on initiation point and population of fillydephia (From 200k all the way to 3 million)

But such cities are not the slavering dens of undead zombie ponies. In fact except for sealed facilities they are rare on the streets.
Which raises an important question as to why
Needless to say I have a head canon answer.
You're awesome. I seem to say that relatively often...

Meleagridis wrote:Honestly quite relieved. No computer=can't read PH=no more sneaking a peak at the comments thread after a new chapter comes out.

Cptadder wrote:

Is that an offer? Because I've been waiting for an excuse to gab my thoughts about bovines.
Okay, I'll be honest- I just wanted to make a couple of cow puns and then reference Fallout. I'm not quite so skilled at... well, thinking. It may not be saying much, but I'm NO. Hinds. Still, I ended up spitting out a wall of text with a couple theories on brahmin, so...

WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS:

Ehem. Also, Cow Guai scouts are moomentarii.
Interesting. I must confess that I've never really given much thought to cows/brahmin in my headcanon, and I'm not sure if minotaurs even exist in it. Buffalo I tend to remember every now and then and mentally mark the rough stampeding line and ranges on my maps, but for the most part I tend to forget about their existence entirely; I'd probably omit them altogether if not for FoE forcing their inclusion.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:45 pm

Sorry.
I'll forgive you if you GET AN AVATAR
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:51 pm

...Actually, I never named the desert on the peninsula, and while the north has, among other things, Hellhounds... There's some good space in the south... The old buffalo stampeding trail ran through that area, too, on its way between the zebra lands and the area around St. Paulomino. The area around the border river is probably reasonably fertile, and there are old military fortifications there... and even without them, the mountains ought to be pretty defensible. And perhaps they could make use of Crescent Moon Canyon itself... I'm starting to like this idea. Still not sure about the minotaurs, but this is getting interesting.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:59 pm

Cptadder wrote:

Sorry.

Akin to this example?
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion 11955330_

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion 3932362616 [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion 3932362616 [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion 3932362616 [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion 3932362616 [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion 3932362616 [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion 3932362616 [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion 3932362616 [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion 3932362616
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Aonee Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:08 am

IncoherentOrange wrote:I still have to read it! [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion 1751538862

Oh don't worry, Guard and I will have the vats ready for him.
Aonee
Aonee
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 98

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:17 am

So Frost and I go to our local Circle K store for provisions (by that I mean sandviches and tea), and this old british guy is standing behind us at the counter dancing to the song on the radio. Frost tells him that he is doing it wrong because it is not gangnam style, british-face says he couldn't do that because he is old and would require leaving the ground which would require an airplane. He starts to reminisce about how he has had sex a mile above sea-level but that was because he was in Denver. Then Frost, the cashier, and myself decide that that counts as admittance to the mile high club.

Earlier we (my group) walked to our friend's house to pick him up, we waited outside for several minutes when a kid peeks out from behind the house across the street to our left and says "What are you looking at?". Keep in mind we weren't looking at him, the tard. Without thinking and realizing that I was in a housing project, I yelled "HIDE YOUR FAMILY!" in response. My friend Darren then swiftly yells "Jared shut up!" with a big smile on his face. Then I tried to cossack dance in the driveway, I tried to get low enough when I lost my balance and my feet flew out from underneath me, planting my dumb ass square on the ground. I actually said "Wah ASS!" as I fell. This is honestly a normal day for me and Frost.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:56 am

Meleagridis wrote:

Okay, I'll be honest- I just wanted to make a couple of cow puns and then reference Fallout. I'm not quite so skilled at... well, thinking. It may not be saying much, but I'm NO. Hinds. Still, I ended up spitting out a wall of text with a couple theories on brahmin, so...

My initial reaction
The bit about intellegent Brahmin is interesting the bits about the Minotaurs.... meh to much a direct equivalency to the steathboys and the mutants abusing them. And it makes little sense, why are Minotaurs going crazy, why would grinding down the horns be a painful proccess.

Also cow is female bovine so why Papa cow?
Basic summary I like the idea of the brahmin banding together and forming a society for their condition the question comes how they deal with lots of things since they are significalty worse off than the pones, zebras or gryphons post Equestria

O. Hinds wrote:
Interesting. I must confess that I've never really given much thought to cows/brahmin in my headcanon, and I'm not sure if minotaurs even exist in it. Buffalo I tend to remember every now and then and mentally mark the rough stampeding line and ranges on my maps, but for the most part I tend to forget about their existence entirely; I'd probably omit them altogether if not for FoE forcing their inclusion.
I've tended towards the FoE Heroes canon that Minotaurs exists, are incredibly rare and just as foreign as Zebras but very rare. If you see one in Equestria it's by itself or with it's family working for the pones. Head Canon was that Minotaurs were allied to one of the two sides (Ponies or Zebras) but existed only as a place to fight and to defend a border of the Zebras or the Ponies. I see them as a Zebra ally that existed mostly on paper. The Minotaurs not having anything like a standing army just quick forming war bands to deal with problems that break apart quickly once the threat is dealt with. Minotaurs signing onto the Zebra side because they don't believe Luna is Nightmare Moon but because they like Gemstones and they have no state visits or personal contacts with Celestia. But they do have a minor relationship with the Zebras for coal. So they enter the war on the Zebra side but sign only a defensive treaty so the Ponies don't attack them.

But the day of fire ends up with them getting nuked as a side effect of retaliation strikes on everyone.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:09 am

Aonee wrote:
IncoherentOrange wrote:I still have to read it! [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion 1751538862

My dipping got overlooked.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:10 am

ketchup504 wrote:
Aonee wrote:

My dipping got overlooked.

Now it's not*Grabs Ketchup*Welcome to unity Ketchup!

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:20 am

No, bro, don't dip, bro! Brooo!
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:15 am

Cptadder wrote:

Sorry.

I'm with the captain on this one
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:15 am

Sorry.

use this is your avatar an i will forgive you

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion Somber_is_best_pony_by_dotrook-d4j4atl

listen to this its hilarious!!
http://stoiccrusader.tumblr.com/post/33070397287/theprincesscadancediaries-for-those-of-you
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:06 am

That image avatar sized

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion Somberavysized
Had to cut the text to get it to fit.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:40 am

Where'd that picture come from?
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 32 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 32  Next