Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 32 of 34 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Caoimhe wrote:Video games are canon in ponyverse:

PIC
(with bonus sinisterbelle)

Indeed it's possible BJ ran across one in the stable or otherwise.

Methinks that's just a gag. Besides, machines like that would've probably been scrapped for electronic parts, seeing as everyone pretty much had a job in 99 and not too much time for entertainment aside from the card games.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:12 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:

PIC

Methinks that's just a gag. Besides, machines like that would've probably been scrapped for electronic parts, seeing as everyone pretty much had a job in 99 and not too much time for entertainment aside from the card games.

Not to mention sex. Lots of sex.

Anyone think this might be caused by the goddess? Just a random junk memory that wandered into her brain from the goddess. That would be funny actually. Using Blackjack as the goddesses dump for useless memories.
tylertoon2
Hydra

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tylertoon2

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:26 pm

I could see it making sense. I'm thinking more into my theory that the Goddess is trying to more or less 'sedate' Blackjack by making her more intelligent and self aware since her erratic, impulsive behaviour is actually solving problems and getting things done.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:37 pm

swicked wrote:
ketchup504 wrote:
swicked wrote:
“Tell me there’s a secret cheat mode that kills my sense of pain?” I asked pathetically.
Blackjack hasn’t played a video game in her life; this statement is entirely incomprehensible.
There are no computers in MLP, and computers in Fallout were 80s future computers, being terminals that were strictly functional without any entertainment value. I just don’t agree with this.
While I see where you are going with this statement, cheating is consistent between almost all games, video or not. So it can make sense. Though, the use of a "cheat mode" is almost always used in video game context.
There is a text adventure you can play in FO3, however. I've read of it, though I've never played it.
Cheating at cards and reprogramming her brain to no longer recognize pain are two entirely different things and I can't imagine how she'd connect the two concepts naturally.
Blackjack has in the past thought of Lacunae's alicorn powers as cheating, too.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Caoimhe wrote:I could see it making sense. I'm thinking more into my theory that the Goddess is trying to more or less 'sedate' Blackjack by making her more intelligent and self aware since her erratic, impulsive behaviour is actually solving problems and getting things done.
My enemy is stupid, lucky and utterly without fear... I know I shall make her more intellegent because any sane pony would not have tried a dozen things she's done in the past. I'll stop her plans by making her smarter.

My Goddess that fiend! Does her villainy know no bounds?
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:43 pm

FeatherDust wrote:
Right, that's what I'm saying. We don't know that it was The Door that opened; it could have been a different test, or a different door (like the one to Twi's study). But I think it was The Door, which P21 subsequently picked shut the mundane way. The reason I said something in there freaked her out is that they are worried about not letting her see the orb until she's stable. If it was nothing more than a revelation that she's Twilight's descendant, I can't imagine it being that big of a blow to her. Their concern suggests there's something in there that has the potential to destroy Blackjack if she's not in the right state of mind when she sees it.
Exactly.

The implication of all the "How the crap did I know to do that?!" was that the knowledge is still in her brain somewhere but being walled off by the Goddess's will. There was some concern earlier that the Goddess had actually removed the memories (as with a memory spell, completely gone and unrecoverable), but that seems not to be the case.

Furthermore, it seemed to me that the closer she got to the ring, the more her buried memories were surfacing, at least on a subconscious level; she seemed more and more sure about what to do even though she couldn't consciously determine why she knew. And if that's the case, then it means the mental manipulations of the Goddess require a continual connection to sustain them, and if she dies, the restrictions (such as the one stopping BJ from telling anyone that she's hooked up to the Unity and the one that blocks her knowledge about Enervation fields) will fall away as well.
Ah, okay I getcha.
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:49 pm

ketchup504 wrote:
And if that's the case, then it means the mental manipulations of the Goddess require a continual connection to sustain them, and if she dies, the restrictions (such as the one stopping BJ from telling anyone that she's hooked up to the Unity and the one that blocks her knowledge about Enervation fields) will fall away as well.
Ah, okay I getcha.
Unfortunately, the same holds true for Lacunae.
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:49 pm

ketchup504 wrote:
FeatherDust wrote:
Right, that's what I'm saying. We don't know that it was The Door that opened; it could have been a different test, or a different door (like the one to Twi's study). But I think it was The Door, which P21 subsequently picked shut the mundane way. The reason I said something in there freaked her out is that they are worried about not letting her see the orb until she's stable. If it was nothing more than a revelation that she's Twilight's descendant, I can't imagine it being that big of a blow to her. Their concern suggests there's something in there that has the potential to destroy Blackjack if she's not in the right state of mind when she sees it.
Exactly.

The implication of all the "How the crap did I know to do that?!" was that the knowledge is still in her brain somewhere but being walled off by the Goddess's will. There was some concern earlier that the Goddess had actually removed the memories (as with a memory spell, completely gone and unrecoverable), but that seems not to be the case.

Furthermore, it seemed to me that the closer she got to the ring, the more her buried memories were surfacing, at least on a subconscious level; she seemed more and more sure about what to do even though she couldn't consciously determine why she knew. And if that's the case, then it means the mental manipulations of the Goddess require a continual connection to sustain them, and if she dies, the restrictions (such as the one stopping BJ from telling anyone that she's hooked up to the Unity and the one that blocks her knowledge about Enervation fields) will fall away as well.
Ah, okay I getcha.

I AGREE
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Sinisterbelle made me laugh.

I note that video games are canon in the Fallout universe, too; there's a quest in Fo3 where you can play a text adventure on a terminal.
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Cptadder wrote:
Caoimhe wrote:I could see it making sense. I'm thinking more into my theory that the Goddess is trying to more or less 'sedate' Blackjack by making her more intelligent and self aware since her erratic, impulsive behaviour is actually solving problems and getting things done.
My enemy is stupid, lucky and utterly without fear... I know I shall make her more intellegent because any sane pony would not have tried a dozen things she's done in the past. I'll stop her plans by making her smarter.

Too bad she's about to blow the hell up and leave us with a badass smart Blackjack
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Erumpet on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:14 pm

@Vergil: unless the smartness is temporary like the memory blocking, kind of a channeling of smartness from the Goddess not actually physically changing Blackjacks mind
Erumpet
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 34

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:32 pm

swicked wrote:She didn’t know you were in the wasteland... the Blackjack sent out a message that essentially announced that you were, as well as where you are. What, did you expect her have ever looked for you when she didn’t know if you were in the wasteland at all? Please.
Shut the heck up, Glory. You don’t get to pass judgments on her behavior until you’ve seen how she acts when she knows it’s you.
I think it's more "How dare she leave us all alone and then show up on my doorstep like this? RAGE HURT CONFUSION RAGE" It's not rational. Family matters rarely are, especially when parental abandonment or divorce come into it.
It always annoys me when best friends or soulmates can’t catch the other in obvious lies like this. Probably happens in real life as well as in every romance book or film since the genera was invented. He knows what he means to her. Maybe it’s just because they’re young, but that shouldn’t have worked and he’s daft to of fallen for it.
I dunno. I don't necessarily agree. Youth is a big factor, and so is frustration. He's having to choose between his best friend and his dream, and that's terrible. And honestly he may have seen through it and still been upset -- having all his loyalty thrown in his face like that. I know I've seen a few examples where the person does see through the lie but they get mad anyway -- "How dare you use that self-sacrificing bullshit on me?!"
I understand the need to push onward with the narrative, but I wish you could have gone on a little bit longer with your description of Luna.
Nah. We all know what Luna looks like. Just because the character is new to them, we aren't, and recapitulating the information would only stall the story.
...huh. Has anyone actually been asking Somber about unicorn magic? Because all this stuff about unicorns being able to learn more than just a couple spells, I thought, was just common knowledge. It’s only EASIER for Twilight to learn lots of magic, not IMPOSSIBLE for other ponies to do the same.
There's a lot of confusion on that topic, so I appreciate the clarification. (The argument there is my own -- why would spellbooks even exist if they only benefited a tiny fraction of the population?)

She felt guilty because of the control the Goddess had over me!
Hmm, Blackjack just had a thought.
Which, as we all know, means she’s wrong... particularly because the reason involves Blackjack, and her friends have been oft known to say “You know, it isn’t always about you.” So I wonder what the real answer is?
“She did something to you. Something that’s hurt you more than you could ever realize. Something that’s almost killed you more than once. All for her own selfish gain,”
What is Lacunae capable of doing? Taking negative emotions.
No, she's not wrong here, and these two bits are connected. What is Lacunae capable of doing? She caused BJ to get connected to the Unity. I'm not sure how that's to her own gain or whatever, but these bits combined with the Goddess's snide chuckling make me sure that Lacunae caused BJ's mental link and did it intentionally.

And one that created wings… well… I got through the first paragraph about cocoons and metamorphosis when my eyes crossed and I thought it best to move on.
...how is this a book for beginners? Twilight, early in her prime, struggled with this spell. She said it was very complicated.
I agree, I don't see how this could be a beginners book and have super-advanced magic in it. I think it'd be better if the spell that made her eyes cross was one we hadn't seen in the show before and that feels a little more 'basic'. A minor illusion spell, for example.

Maybe there was something my friends were keeping from me after all...
Woah woah woah woah woah.
Explain to me how the Goddess’s accusation that Lacunae was hiding something suddenly got transferred to ALL of Blackjack’s friends? Was that intentional?
I think it's more that she's on the mental track of betrayal by friends, and finally realizing what we picked up on at the time, that she'd easily gone into a room that should have been locked. Maybe a little bit of picking up the edges of a deleted memory, like Scotch and broken electronics.

What the frig is wrong with Dawn’s eyes? I swear, all I can think about when they mention her is this captain from one of the bleach episodes I've seen. I’ll post a picture.
It makes me think of Xelloss and Chichiri.

In anime, perma-squint eyes are often a trait of the trickster archetype, which can be either good or evil but most often mixes the two.

In this case? It makes me think she's trying not to let anyone see her pupils, like she's got Cockatrice eyes or something.
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:35 pm

Another Presidential debate tonight (And one last debate next Monday)
Know what that means?

Round 3 Drinking game... FIGHT
In Round 3 of the debate drinking game the rules are as follows
We all wrote things down and put them in a box, we all pick two words to drink to and slight change we all drink twice if Kenya or the Mormon religion is mentioned
The players are for JO, K, A and I

JO has Middle Class and 47%
K has Loopholes and Libya
A has China and Obamacare
I have with all due respect and Small business
I can't believe I drew small business, tonight is not a good night for me.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Erumpet on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:40 pm

@Begginner magic book: well I think it's strange that a begginners magic book would be in Twilights study in the first place. I actually think its not really a begginners book, but maybe a recovery book for unicorns that burned out their magic, something much more useful to Twilight. I think this because it starts with easy spells, and moves up to harder spells, while explaining things a unicorn might not do consciously when they are healthy and full of magic, but need to concentrate on when they are burned out.
Erumpet
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 34

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Could be that it's an old book Twilight kept around for nostalgia. Explains the note in it. I doubt anyone curious would think to snoop in the MAS mare's super basic kiddie book.

Also, I find it odd they're specially referred to as Ministry Mares as titles, shouldn't they be addressed as Minister?
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:22 pm

FeatherDust wrote:
ketchup504 wrote:
And if that's the case, then it means the mental manipulations of the Goddess require a continual connection to sustain them, and if she dies, the restrictions (such as the one stopping BJ from telling anyone that she's hooked up to the Unity and the one that blocks her knowledge about Enervation fields) will fall away as well.
Ah, okay I getcha.
Unfortunately, the same holds true for Lacunae.
Lacunae could react terribly after the death of the Goddess, though it might let her release all the pent up emotional trash the Goddess sends her, but I have no evidence to support that happening. Just a "maybe".
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Caoimhe wrote:

Also, I find it odd they're specially referred to as Ministry Mares as titles, shouldn't they be addressed as Minister?
Depends on the titling system. Madam Minster is not a title in the UK system I believe for example but it is under in other European countries. Madam Minster might be the equivalent of Ministry Mare. While Minster might be the equivalent of Minster.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Hey.

Picture this:

Alicorns come from the Goddess, so the alicorns have no physical form really without her.

So when the Goddess goes boom, the spirit of Lacunae would need a 'host.'

Basically Lacunae could manifest... in Boo!

This could never work.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:27 pm

Caoimhe wrote:Hey.

Picture this:

Alicorns come from the Goddess, so the alicorns have no physical form really without her.

So when the Goddess goes boom, the spirit of Lacunae would need a 'host.'

Basically Lacunae could manifest... in Boo!

This could never work.

BOO! She's a ghost! Spike

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ironmonger

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:41 pm

ketchup504 wrote:
FeatherDust wrote:Unfortunately, the same holds true for Lacunae.
Lacunae could react terribly after the death of the Goddess, though it might let her release all the pent up emotional trash the Goddess sends her, but I have no evidence to support that happening. Just a "maybe".
Only wouldn't that be nearly as bad? I mean, see previous comment regarding the relationship between memories and personality. If the Lacunae we know and love is the end result of all the "emotional garbage" in one place, if all that fell away, it would mean a vast personality change -- and not necessarily one we would like. She might not even be recognizably the same person.
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:53 pm

FYI I'm.... drinks in, I lost count awhile ago, damn you small business
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:12 pm

FeatherDust wrote:
ketchup504 wrote:
FeatherDust wrote:Unfortunately, the same holds true for Lacunae.
Only wouldn't that be nearly as bad? I mean, see previous comment regarding the relationship between memories and personality. If the Lacunae we know and love is the end result of all the "emotional garbage" in one place, if all that fell away, it would mean a vast personality change -- and not necessarily one we would like. She might not even be recognizably the same person.
I was under the impression she keeps it inside and non-manifesting. In (I think) the last chapter, she didn't even refer to herself as a pony or person when asked how she was, and saying it didn't matter.
I can't imagine what it would feel like to have another being's emotions mixed with my own, especially if they were the negative ones the Goddess(A combination of many troubled ponies) didn't want.
But yeah, you are probably right that it would change her. For better or worse, we don't know. Or even if that would happen.
Anticipation is one of this story's "selling" points.
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:21 pm

Somber wrote:According to Kkat, she could have spent as much as two days or so recovering in Glyphmark before going out. So I think I can stretch my original plans. Thanks Silent. And thanks for trying to make me feel better. It's just stupid of me. Anyway, see you all later. need to go write quizzes...
Awesome! *scribble scribble*
Maybe I should change my name to SilentChrono. ...nah, that sounds like the hero from Chrono Trigger. Twilight Sparkle

FeatherDust wrote:Right, that's what I'm saying. We don't know that it was The Door that opened; it could have been a different test, or a different door (like the one to Twi's study). But I think it was The Door, which P21 subsequently picked shut the mundane way.
Then the question becomes whether Lifebloom and Homage tested her in private before bringing in the other members of the Twi Society, or if everyone present was acting. There's some circumstantial evidence that the real test and memory extraction were before the Door Test:
I couldn’t look away as I tapped the door latch one last time. Still didn’t budge. Homage looked at me in concern. For a moment there, I’d been… I’d been absolutely sure!
“Huh… I guess…” I gave a little half smile as I looked back at everypony. “I guess I got all worked up for nothing, huh?” It was like stepping out from beneath an immense weight… and yet… I looked back at the doors. If I was so relieved… why was I feeling so… so disappointed?
Maybe because the memories are gone, but she still knows it should have worked -- just like Scotch with her machine trauma.

Cptadder wrote:My enemy is stupid, lucky and utterly without fear... I know I shall make her more intellegent because any sane pony would not have tried a dozen things she's done in the past. I'll stop her plans by making her smarter.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I think Caoimhe's onto something. A lot of what BJ's accomplished was due to being too dumb to know she shouldn't be able to do it and too stubborn to give up when it got rough. Granted, she's died twice, put her soul in hock to a star, and gone insane in the process... but you have to be a little bit stupid to look around at the Wasteland and say, "Yeah... I can do something about this."
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:29 pm

SilentCarto wrote:

Cptadder wrote:My enemy is stupid, lucky and utterly without fear... I know I shall make her more intellegent because any sane pony would not have tried a dozen things she's done in the past. I'll stop her plans by making her smarter.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I think Caoimhe's onto something. A lot of what BJ's accomplished was due to being too dumb to know she shouldn't be able to do it and too stubborn to give up when it got rough. Granted, she's died twice, put her soul in hock to a star, and gone insane in the process... but you have to be a little bit stupid to look around at the Wasteland and say, "Yeah... I can do something about this."
I'm not being sarcastic, I'm laughing at the idea the best way to limit Blackjack's movements and cut down on her interference is to send her some brain food and self help tapes (In essence). The perverse idea that your enemy is so dumb she thinks she can do anything.

At least I think so, I'm kinda drunk at the moment, small business has not been kind to me.

Last edited by Cptadder on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Remember, Lacunae did "something" she's guilty of as well. Perhaps the Goddess is blackmailing her, forcing her to act as a conduit into Blackjack's mind for whatever smartspell the Goddess put into Blackjack. BJ being suddenly able to teleport and all sorts of shit within hours is evidence of this, considering how hard it was for her to be able to turn pages in a book again.

I can relate. I work best under heavy stress and the right things usually come to mind instantly, making me more productive. When I have less to worry about the more mistakes I make. BJ doing the right thing at the right moment haphazardly gets the job done.

This is probably why she can't stand having nothing to do and gets fidgity. Here in this chapter, she took downtime to learn spells instead of well, fighting evil, figuring out why Lacunae was feeling guilty, looking into Dawn, checking on Rampage, etc.

I like the overarching feel that this day was indeed a Good Day, but BJ doesn't have good days. That's why all this is so strange.

In other news there was a freakin Earthquake here today. We don't get earthquakes here that can be felt and this is the second in two years. :O

Last edited by Caoimhe on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:31 pm

...huh o_o
Magic, I suppose.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:49 pm

So the debate is over and I've had twelve solid drinks and one shot of Absinthe for luck.
I'm still coherent but walking a line test I'd fail easily. And I've got work in eight hours..
You rock... woohoo
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:54 pm

Cptadder wrote:So the debate is over and I've had twelve solid drinks and one shot of Absinthe for luck.
I'm still coherent but walking a line test I'd fail easily. And I've got work in eight hours..
You rock... woohoo

Sounds like you're doing it right to me
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:04 pm

Vergil wrote:
Cptadder wrote:So the debate is over and I've had twelve solid drinks and one shot of Absinthe for luck.
You rock... woohoo

Sounds like you're doing it right to me
Drink 14, I'm still making up for lost ground.... damn you small business, I have one drink from all due respect and like twenty from small business.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:03 am

Question: Does Blackjack have wrists? I know she has extendible fingers, and technically hands, but I don't recall outright having wrists. It kinda sounds weird.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down