Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+39
hawkeye92
jacky2734
Rafafidi
Regolit
Paper Airplane
Jeremyrush
Valikdu
Mech
Cptadder
Scyto Harmony
Snipehamster
Stringtheory
Admiral Stoic Rum
NoodleNugget
FeatherDust
Somber
Moodyman90
Katarn
Aonee
Kattlarv
tylertoon2
RandomBlank
RoboRed
Quotidian
Icy Shake
Rboy474
Ketchup
WavemasterRyx
Orm
Ametros
OneMoreDaySK
Sindri
MrMagma
O. Hinds
CamoBadger
Derpmind
Kippershy
Meleagridis
SilentCarto
43 posters

Page 22 of 30 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 30  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 22 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Cptadder wrote:I remember reading that story, was in 2005? Yeah we all had a good laugh on the watchfloor as I was still in the Navy then and even the FNG could see ballistic missiles were ballistic missiles, our missile tech was the one to point out with the cost of a Trident it was literally cheaper to build a three B-52s, pack them full of explosives and remote ram them into the target than send one trident missile with a conventional warhead, never mind the B-52 ramming planes being twelve times the boom.
Hah! That objection I was not aware of.
Cptadder wrote:Quick note, the actual time was seven minutes as past 1968 we both had enough boomers to get in missile range and flush all our submarines nukes and take out all C&C facilites on the east coast or for us to take out Moscow. Taking out the missiles themselves before launch was always tricky but it was possible if the subs shot themselves dry and relied on the mobile launchers to take care of second strike.
Ah, thanks; I only remembered that it was 30m for the US at one point and 5m for the UK.
And as for the subs shooting themselves dry, that's what the Typhoons were for. Hide under the ice until things die down, then break through and mop up. One of the examples of Soviet engineering that's actually impressive rather then just impressively bad (As I've said before, it's easy to just not build a moonship; anyone could do that. It's nowhere near as easy to build a moonship, launch it, and then have a synchronized breakdown of pretty much everything aboard as soon as it reaches Earth orbit.).
Cptadder wrote:And a second note, one fly they all fly.
Aye, but it's a choice between a small bit of hope and no hope at all. If the Equestrian first strike does indeed totally eliminate second strike capability with the first blasts, the Zebras are dead anyway. If for any reason the first blasts somehow don't totally eliminate SS capability, it's vital to get the missiles up before the next round of hits arrives.

And I suspect that by the time the SACII fields were being constructed, the Zebra High Command was already starting to suspect that their best option might be launching a first strike anyway, in which case the less time Equestria has to react, the better.
Cptadder wrote:And a third note, while the Ministry of Moral was more cartoonist evil about it, we did things just as bad to paint the Soviets as just as bad as Zebras. Better wiped then striped is after all a reference to better dead then Red. However the MoM was way better at the always watching bit than we were meaning dissenters were much easier nabbed,
It'd mostly be the M.o.I. behind the propaganda, but yeah, the M.o.M. would be really good at enforcing it.

Also, I disagree about the US painting the Soviets as just as bad (though I realize that, having been born in 1990, I might be getting this wrong). The US couldn't deny that the Soviets were at least the same species. It could paint them as depraved, stupid, immoral, blood-hungry dirty commie bastards, but at the end of the day it had to be admitted that they were also humans, that they had the same potentials, the same average capacity for reason, and, if one was Christian (an important thing in the US at the time), the same sort of souls and…redeemable-ness (I don't know that much about the intricacies of Christianity)? Equestria doesn't have those restrictions. Zebras are a different species, one most ponies have no experience with; who's to say that they aren't just inherently more, to roll a bunch of traits into one, evil? And as for the religion angle, if it ever comes up, Equestria is being led in the war by the living goddesses of the sun and the moon who chose the ponies as their people.
Or am I just being sadly optimistic about Cold War American propaganda?
Cptadder wrote:Question, do we have a job finished date on Celestia-One? It's very obviously a first strike/surgical strike weapon. And I don't see it being finished a week before the war since it was used so effectively that implies testing, calibration and shake down. Because with Celestia-One operation burning down fifty missiles before they can all launch would be easy since Ballistic missiles are horribly fragile things to that kind of direct heat attack (How much fun would it be trying to launch a missile when the silo cover is melted to the concrete?)
No, unfortunately. Here's all the information we have on its history, copied from FoEc29:
Kkat wrote:But an argument in the background, at first almost too quiet to hear, was quickly growing louder.  From inside the recording chamber, the voice of a mare whom I assumed to by Lyra, spoke up.  “What’s going on?”

“um…  You didn’t hear this from me, but Twilight Sparkle’s gone the last three days without sleep, trying to prepare for the Princess’s inspection, and has been in supreme bitchy mode all day today.  I suggest steering clear.  Don’t worry.  I don’t think she’ll come in here.”

The arguing voices outside the recording studio were getting loud enough and close enough to make out the words.

“…Well that’s just great, Twilight.  Now she’s in the bathroom sobbing her eyes out.”

“Well, I’m sorry.  But those results are just unacceptable.  I can’t go to the Princess and tell her that we’ve put her name on a megaspell that’s… that’s useless!”

The ponies in the recording studio had fallen completely silent.  The argument was just outside their door.  Twilight Sparkle and a male voice that sounded vaguely familiar.

“There’s better ways of handling it than grabbing a pony, pointing and saying ‘Look, there are all the thousands and thousands of bodies of ponies who are dead because your spell sucks.  Explain it to them.’   Just how the hell was that supposed to help?”

“Don’t you get it, Spike?  The zebras have megaspell-tipped missiles.  Hundreds of them.  If they launch them, those missiles will reach Equestria from the zebra homeland within minutes.  And this Celestia One, or Celestia Prime, or whatever they’re calling it can’t even be cast unless it’s sunny.  I can’t tell the Princess that the only defense we have against those missiles can be defeated by a cloudy day.  What if the zebras decide to attack us at night?”

“…”

“You know what?  Forget it, Twilight.  I’m going to take a nap.  And frankly, you should too.”

“You’re always taking a nap.  There’s work to be done”

“Whatever.  Wake me when the Twilight I know and love has decided to visit.  Until then, I don’t even want to speak to you.”

“Urrgh.  Fine.”
And that's another thing; a properly equipped cruise missile could potentially dodge and then get right back on course. Let's see a ballistic missile do that.
Cptadder wrote:There's a simpler method they could build up an arsenal of SACII's and use them with conventional warheads before megaspells ever hit the scene.
I'm afraid that I don't really understand what you're trying to say here.
Cptadder wrote:Okay we are starting to reach the limits of theoretical discussion, we've moved from what is possible to what is possible if that is possible and then this is possible.
Pity; this has been quite enjoyable.

In any case, I can count on your support if it comes to that? That's the impression that I've been getting, and one as knowledgeable as you would be a very fine addition to the cause.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 22 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Silentcarto wrote:Hay yes! I love that they already have plans to build a supersonic airliner based on the same technology.
Not just supersonic; hypersonic.

Personally, though, while that's certainly neat, I'm more excited that they've already got designs for an orbital construction station.
Silentcarto wrote:You mean CARE.
?
Silentcarto wrote:Great point! The missiles could already all be in place, and you simply don't know which ones you should shoot first.
How would the warheads be switched out on missiles already in place? Wouldn't that risk wasting missiles? And doesn't it still have the problem of "Hm, their balefire bomb stocks are decreasing and we've seen workers moving around in the fields of strategic missiles pointed at our cities"?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:16 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Not just supersonic; hypersonic.
Psht. Call me when they go plasmasonic.

Personally, though, while that's certainly neat, I'm more excited that they've already got designs for an orbital construction station.
Yes please!

?
CARE is the acronym they use in FoE instead of MAD. I forget what it stands for.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Sindri wrote:
CARE is the acronym they use in FoE instead of MAD. I forget what it stands for.
You're doing better than me; I'd forgotten about it entirely. Do you remember where it was mentioned?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Kattlarv wrote:@Feather: (Styg) I don't hate styg, I just hate that others are all "*Squee*"for him.
Um... okay. He's adorable, friendly, and helpful. Batponies are cute. Not sure where his behavior in bed comes into any of that -- you seem to be extrapolating that sexual inexperience translates to "he's a terrible person", which is just... wrong on so many levels.

Second point is that yes, he lived in a cave, yet they seem educated enough to know inbreeding is bad? And point of it, I don't care if he's physically good or bad, it is that
he quit every time after he came, he was satisfied. Even a simple mind
could figure out that there is two in that act. As said, unless their
bat sex ed is only "don't sex cousins" he was being selfish there. And I
could be going much worse on him, mind that ;P
My point BEING that he's unlikely to have had a great deal of sex ed. Even WITH it, it's practically a truism that "the first time is terrible" and I don't see why it would be different for ponies. That aside, we don't know what all acts he and BJ got up to during their time together, so declaring that he was selfish the whole time is absurd.

It was a very ornate door, seemingly made for one purpose, to be in front of this room, enchanted with a spell to be impervious and only allow Twilight passage. So I don't see why she'd put a physical lock on it... unless she thought it'd be funny to have a useless lock spies would try to pick.
Well, as previously noted several times, doors typically just come with locks. Even fancy ones. Nobody assumes a door will have magical sealing spells in place on it. Your version requires that Twilight commissioned the doors specifically for this one spot, for this one purpose. I submit that it's far more likely that the doors were originally just a pretty front door to the offices behind, OR were a set of normal doors that were purchased for the purpose of making a sealed room but were using normal standard parts in addition to having Twilight's personal touch of magic. I don't understand your comments about her attention to detail; "I don't need a lock" is not the same as "Dammit, no! Get me a door WITHOUT a lock! WITHOUT!"

Besides, she was the Ministry Mare at this point. She had WAY too much to do to be playing interior decorator. Her "attention to detail" is unlikely to have any bearing on things -- it's more likely the place was built and ready before she stepped hoof inside.

Actually I don't recall them being particularly ornate, other than the gems that anchor the locking spell. They were "of sturdy light wood and beset with amethysts". It doesn't say whether the doors are fancy or not. Could you be confusing it with the door to Twilight's personal office ("decorated with a golden unicorn with an amethyst eye")?
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:07 pm

ketchup504 wrote:I can't say I haven't done this. Lol.
Anyone who hasn't done it hasn't really lived life. Though, putting the bowl on your head after is optional.

Kippershy wrote:that feel when this:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5jsotoQsf1rrbhy4o1_500.png
is the other half to it =3
Boo really loves your lemon drizzle cupcakes. <3

Ice Crystal wrote:HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
Forgive me Luna, for I have sinned: I have taken the life of another.

SilentCarto wrote:(reading list)
Personally, I couldn't get into Pink Eyes. The whole "hurr durr I'm a
stupid kid la la la" schtick wore on me extremely quickly, and all
reports said she never really grew out of that, so I dropped it.

( "happy Boo" )
TIME FOR MY HAPPY INJECTION!
- Well I have read the first chapter, and while it didn't quite snag me like FoE or PH's did, I didn't think it was bad, so I'd still like to read it, eventually.
- *smiles*

RoboRed wrote:*glee* [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 22 3796487374
Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:Squee! Boo being adorable and happy, yes please!
Heh, I'm glad you both like it. All the happy, adorable Boo!

guarddogjr wrote:I think my heart my just exploded. Happy Boo is best Boo!

Another amazing picture Wave!
Forgive me Celestia, for I have sinned: I have taken the life of another.
Thank you very much though heh.

Cptadder wrote:CptAdder:Blah blah ICBMs
O. Hinds:Blah Blah Blah Balefire
WavemasterRyx:Here's a picture of Boo
Everyone else: Squee!!!
Sounds fairly accurate heh.

stringtheory wrote:your first two lines remind me of the briefing from Duty Calls
here have a link: [link]
That's so mean (and true), but it's also pretty hilarious.

SilentCarto wrote:
Admiral Stoic Rum wrote:Question about
lacunae... isn't she a teleporter? So her coat is lavender...
riiight?
Her coat is described as 'dusky purple', though a lot of people draw her bluer than they probably should.
I'm really going to have to try and remember this for the next time I draw Lacunae.

O. Hinds wrote:
Sindri wrote:
You're doing better than me; I'd forgotten about it entirely. Do you remember where it was mentioned?
Chapter 37 (Canterlot): "Communally Assured Reciprocal Existence".

Last edited by WavemasterRyx on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:12 pm

WavemasterRyx wrote:Chapter 37 (Canterlot): "Communally Assured Reciprocal Existence".
Ah, thank you!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Daily check, How are my cuties? (everyone here)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:58 pm

Nightfire wrote:Daily check, How are my cuties? (everyone here)
Awesome. Except for... oh, wait, that's me. Because I smell awesome.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:03 pm

Quick question for all of you: do you think that the portrayal of miniguns in PH is acceptable?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:05 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Quick question for all of you: do you think that the portrayal of miniguns in PH is acceptable?
I guess.

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aonee Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Yes, I see no problem with them.
Aonee
Aonee
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 98

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:09 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Quick question for all of you: do you think that the portrayal of miniguns in PH is acceptable?
It seems a little inconsistent at times? Sometimes they shred the target instantly, sometimes they stitch a line of little bulletholes. Sometimes they can't scratch armor and have trouble with wood, sometimes they go right through the target.

I tend to just figure that there are a variety of weapons that BJ refers to as "minigun" ranging from little anti-personnel pieces that can be carried normally to high-caliber autocannons that get mounted as the main weapon on power armor or secondary weapons on tanks and heavy robots. After all, multibarrel rotating guns in the real world commonly range between 5mm and .95in, with outliers in both directions.

Last edited by Sindri on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:13 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
ketchup504 wrote:I can't say I haven't done this. Lol.
…Including wearing the cover as a hat?
No, not with the same bowl. I could never balance a bowl on my head.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:17 pm

O. Hinds wrote:

Ah, thanks; I only remembered that it was 30m for the US at one point and 5m for the UK.
And as for the subs shooting themselves dry, that's what the Typhoons were for. Hide under the ice until things die down, then break through and mop up. One of the examples of Soviet engineering that's actually impressive rather then just impressively bad (As I've said before, it's easy to just not build a moonship; anyone could do that. It's nowhere near as easy to build a moonship, launch it, and then have a synchronized breakdown of pretty much everything aboard as soon as it reaches Earth orbit.).
Hiding under the ice was only a viable strategy once we gave up on the Mark 45 with it's W34 11 Kiloton torpedo which had a lethal radius of eighteen and a half kilometers against submerged targets like submarines. FYI it had a max range of only 12 kilometers and had no homing system as it was a "in case of nuclear war use this". Attack submarines from 1964 to 1978 were supposed to have two on-board to use in case of a CRITIC level war warning to instantly engage and destroy any boomers they were trailing at the time. The idea being stopping twenty to forty missiles from flying with several megatons worth of boom was worth the hundred odd men on any submarine. A fair exchange and had the balloon gone up Captains were expected to make that trade without hesitation. We only withdrew them because we were cutting back on ships with live nukes on board (As they were one of the few nukes that did not require Presidential firing codes and could in theory be fired by any two officers on any submarine at will). They were still alongside the docks and several subs went on cruises with them aboard in the 80s but they were no longer standard issue and finally broken up during Bush I.

O. Hinds wrote:
Aye, but it's a choice between a small bit of hope and no hope at all. If the Equestrian first strike does indeed totally eliminate second strike capability with the first blasts, the Zebras are dead anyway. If for any reason the first blasts somehow don't totally eliminate SS capability, it's vital to get the missiles up before the next round of hits arrives.

And I suspect that by the time the SACII fields were being constructed, the Zebra High Command was already starting to suspect that their best option might be launching a first strike anyway, in which case the less time Equestria has to react, the better.
See this is where I think we are talking past each other here a little. First strike assumes no second wave except on mobile platforms. No matter how well guarded or decoyed no military commander is going to leave any static missile platforms unused in a first strike. That's nuclear tactical doctrine of every single side that posses missiles, static missiles are fired first even if you intend a submarine first strike, you'll launch your static ICBM's one to three minutes early.

O. Hinds wrote:
It'd mostly be the M.o.I. behind the propaganda, but yeah, the M.o.M. would be really good at enforcing it.
I seem to recall Katt stating that in FoE that the M.o.I worked through other ministries not by itself so anti-Zebra propaganda would be put up by M.o.M. ponies even if the design work and slogans were pure M.o.I?

O. Hinds wrote:
Also, I disagree about the US painting the Soviets as just as bad (though I realize that, having been born in 1990, I might be getting this wrong). The US couldn't deny that the Soviets were at least the same species. It could paint them as depraved, stupid, immoral, blood-hungry dirty commie bastards, but at the end of the day it had to be admitted that they were also humans, that they had the same potentials, the same average capacity for reason, and, if one was Christian (an important thing in the US at the time), the same sort of souls and…redeemable-ness (I don't know that much about the intricacies of Christianity)? Equestria doesn't have those restrictions. Zebras are a different species, one most ponies have no experience with; who's to say that they aren't just inherently more, to roll a bunch of traits into one, evil? And as for the religion angle, if it ever comes up, Equestria is being led in the war by the living goddesses of the sun and the moon who chose the ponies as their people.
Or am I just being sadly optimistic about Cold War American propaganda?
Your being sadly optimistic about cold war American propaganda, did you forget totally about McCarthyism and his lists of secret Communists and Communists Sympathizers?
Or this quick Google searching for a piece from Design-Daily It's a good read
For further fun you have this 1961 Comic book about... Communism!
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 22 DuckAndCover_Bert_the_Turtle
You were born in the 90s, I was born in the 80s, I knew a time before the Wall came down even if it was a short time. I have friends who were born in the midst of the Red Scare and practiced the drills.

From 1949 to 1965 were bad years in America for anti-communist propaganda, or rather they were great years because everywhere you turned in movies, in comic books, in radio dramas and later TV shows the Commies were featured as pretty much the villain of every piece.

O. Hinds wrote:
No, unfortunately. Here's all the information we have on its history, copied from FoEc29:
No exact timeline, could be before or after Gardens. But considering she threw herself totally into IMP and Alicorn creation project we can project at least that Celestia-One was prior to her focuses on making Alicorns. So I'll ask another question, do we know when THAT project kicked off?

O. Hinds wrote:
And that's another thing; a properly equipped cruise missile could potentially dodge and then get right back on course. Let's see a ballistic missile do that.
For some reason I read that and instantly pictured Daring Do fighting Zebra's with flying Talisms while standing atop a cruise missile as she tries to smash the flaps and rudder

O. Hinds wrote:
I'm afraid that I don't really understand what you're trying to say here.
Okay let me clarify

Lets say it's year X of the war, we don't have megaspells but we do have conventional kaboom spells. Simple high explosives which the Zebras being mixologists should have plenty of. So the Zebra's decided they want to be able to bombard a battlefield with them but they don't have a quick and easy method of getting the boom to the ponies. So they develop rockets able to toss them from outside the battlefield. Only problem is Pegasuses knocking them down in flight and easily tracking back the smoke trails to the launchers. So they build longer range rockets and simply toss more rockets than the Pegasuses can knock down and toss in Gryphon mercs to keep the Pegasuses busy. Now then some bright Zebra runs across a targeting talisman they are using in Robots and says what if we stuck this on a rocket? So they do so, bang you got a cruise missile. Then you can use something like this

This is a Wurfgerate 41
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 22 20120412174032_4
A simple wooden crate which acts as both the transport frame and can be used as a rough firing platform. Imagine a traincar stacked with these, a little bit different looking because they will be longer ranged and have a targeting talisman on the nose. Now imagine the Zebra's are fighting the Ponies somewhere, the traincar gets unloaded someplace far from the fighting and the little frames are broken up and hauled into any handy open field which is pre-sited. The head of Zebra artillery in that division quickly via the targeting talisman designates where the missiles are going from, and to where they are landing by dead rec (IE fly up 100 feet, go east for 20 miles then fall down and run into something) then woosh off they go to prove that once again that as they said during WWI, all know that infantry is the Queen of battle, Artillery is King and we all know what the King does to the Queen.

Now fast forward a few years, the Zebras are already using massed conventional artillery and along come megaspells. So with a little bit of retooling they take one of the larger designs (Lets say instead of the train car carrying two hundred missiles it only caries two. I wish I had a picture to show you the size difference between a 210mm artillery rocket and the 320mm designs and the experimental 480mm that never got usage, I don't so use your imagination. So lets say you have the extra large cruise missiles, so your building hundreds of the things to open battles and batter down defenses. Hoofingtons defenses already sound half anti-air half ABM as it is making good sense if the Zebras could throw four hundred missiles at a target plus dragons.

But off topic again, imagine your already throwing around big conventional rockets at targets. Now head of Zebra science comes to you and says we have a balefire mega-spell but we need someway to get it closer to the ponies other than bucking it at them and running. So your head of rocketry purposes that they could re-design a existing warhead design to contain the mega-spell and using existing tracking methods to fire it at the enemy.

O. Hinds wrote:
Cptadder wrote:Okay we are starting to reach the limits of theoretical discussion, we've moved from what is possible to what is possible if that is possible and then this is possible.
Pity; this has been quite enjoyable.

In any case, I can count on your support if it comes to that? That's the impression that I've been getting, and one as knowledgeable as you would be a very fine addition to the cause.
What I meant was what I was just talking about with the post above.

1. I assumed the Zebras had some form of rocket based or cannon based artillery and that fighting was not nothing but mouth guns and battle saddles and tanks for the Zebras
2. I then assumed the Zebra's had extensive rocket artillery modeled after one of the most idiot proof designs in history that also happened to be horribly inaccurate and only worked when fired in mass volleys
3. I then assumed they solved those issues via literal magic (Targeting talismans)

That's what I mean assumption of an assumption of an assumption. If any previous assumption falls apart then my entire chain of logic to my end explanation falls apart to. If you go beyond one you can easily explain away anything as anything else. I'm even outside headcannon now into pure speculation.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:29 pm

swicked wrote:
Sindri wrote:
It seems a little inconsistent at times? Sometimes they shred the target instantly, sometimes they stitch a line of little bulletholes. Sometimes they can't scratch armor and have trouble with wood, sometimes they go right through the target.

I tend to just figure that there are a variety of weapons that BJ refers to as "minigun" ranging from little anti-personnel pieces that can be carried normally to high-caliber autocannons that get mounted as the main weapon on power armor or secondary weapons on tanks and heavy robots.
Oh, this.
I agree with this.
Fun video M240 VS M134 Gatling gun
I've not had and issue as long as the caliber is specified. There exists in Fallout an infantry sized 5mm minigun which does make some degree of sense as that's about the biggest round you could carry and still be able to carry ammo for the thing and that's WITH power armor to carry the weight.
There exists after all 5mm, 7.92mm and 12.7mm (.50cal) and full up 20mm Gatling guns. Not to mention the rarer and vehicle only chain-guns.

If Blackjack were getting hit with five 20mm rounds I'd call BS (Since those should be fist sized holes the entire way through... well hoof sized holes). But if we are talking 5mm, those are survivable, great for suppression not so great for killing but half of infantry combat is suppression so you can flank the enemy out of cover and wipe them out.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:53 pm

Kattlarv wrote:@Silent: (Door) Show me where she describes Steel Rain as "just another steel ranger I saw". And yes: "I came to my next unique door to Twilight's other secret room, it was just like the previous unique door I saw, so it looked the same, I'll just mention that this was laced with amethysts instead of mithral. BJ has usually described things with a bit of detail if they're important or new to her, and yeah, you're right, a door with magical enhancements protecting lost, possible priceless artefacts and knowledge, and might alter her fate is not special or important enough for her to care.
You're clearly not listening: BJ did mention the unusual aspects of Steel Rain's armor, that being the cannons and some silver scrollwork. She did not describe the armor in any detail, because outside of what she specifically mentioned, it was normal power armor. She did mention the unusual aspect of the door, which was the amethysts. She did not otherwise describe the door in any detail, because outside of what she specifically mentioned, it was a normal door.

But please, go right ahead and believe whatever you want to believe. I'm sick of this argument.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi folks. Sorry I've been so quiet recently. I really should pop in and talk more but... um... I'm really bad at that. Sorry. Anyway, 46 is almost done. One more scene to do tonight. Hopefully we'll be able to brush tomorrow. It's a shorter chapter than usual as I'm splitting high tower in two.

Also, as in FO, all miniguns in PH are 5mm. No, she's not being hit by the 30mm warthog version. Because miniguns are low damage, high rate, armor is more effective than larger rounds. Getting hit by a line is bad, but usually not fatal for any pony with minimal armor. But with enough time and bullets, they can pulp a pony.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:09 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
?
CARE is Equestria's version of MAD.

As I walked around the table to get a closer look, I spied the far wall where a chalkboard hung between two monitors. The meeting room had been designed for multi-media presentations. Amongst the strange diagrams, the chalkboard bore four words written in bold yellow chalk, save that the first letter of each word was pink.
Communally
Assured
Reciprocal
Existence
I felt weak. “Oh… oh, poor Fluttershy…” I stumbled and sat in a chair.

--FOE ch. 37

O. Hinds wrote:How would the warheads be switched out on missiles already in place? Wouldn't that risk wasting missiles? And doesn't it still have the problem of "Hm, their balefire bomb stocks are decreasing and we've seen workers moving around in the fields of strategic missiles pointed at our cities"?
Erm? Not a bit. A truck drives up, they throw up a tent and remove the conventional warhead from a missile. They pull an externally identical balefire warhead out of the truck, put it on the missile, shove the old warhead in the truck, and drive it away. Now one of several dozen launch sites is nuclear-armed, and Equestria can't tell which one to burn first. It doesn't prevent them from knowing there ARE balefire bombs, it conceals which sites are the priority targets.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:23 pm

Sindri wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:Not just supersonic; hypersonic.
Psht. Call me when they go plasmasonic.
They've gone plaid!

WavemasterRyx wrote:
Ice Crystal wrote:HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
Forgive me Luna, for I have sinned: I have taken the life of another.
*falls down giggling*

WavemasterRyx wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:Her coat is described as 'dusky purple', though a lot of people draw her bluer than they probably should.
I'm really going to have to try and remember this for the next time I draw Lacunae.
I blame DotRook. Though BJ's initial confusion of Lacunae for Luna suggests a bluer coloration, so maybe that's where it came from.

Eh? What would be unacceptable about it? I mean, the whole idea of a handheld minigun is absurd, but it's straight from fallout, so I don't see what the problem would be.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Elexius Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:26 pm

Ahem... I believe Project Horizons was Goldenblood's most secretive project, in terms of what it is meant to do, which may just be some kind of mass time travel device last resort type thing Über plan B.
Spike
Elexius
Elexius
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 0

Character List:
Name: Jason "Prince" Aelixeon
Species: Zebracornling

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Well cptadder remarkable looking at the piss stream on the Gatling...
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:29 pm

Somber wrote:Hi folks. Sorry I've been so quiet recently. I really should pop in and talk more but... um... I'm really bad at that. Sorry. Anyway, 46 is almost done. One more scene to do tonight. Hopefully we'll be able to brush tomorrow. It's a shorter chapter than usual as I'm splitting high tower in two.

Also, as in FO, all miniguns in PH are 5mm. No, she's not being hit by the 30mm warthog version. Because miniguns are low damage, high rate, armor is more effective than larger rounds. Getting hit by a line is bad, but usually not fatal for any pony with minimal armor. But with enough time and bullets, they can pulp a pony.

Somber has spoken.
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Elexius Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Or a Deus Ex Machina.
Mass mind control?
Something involving a space colony or the launching of hoofington, or all major cities into space, so as too preserve the life of the ponies?
Event horizon maybe?
Look beyond the horizon, some kind of life preserver?
Über planet disintegrating bomb?
I could go on and on...
Twilight crazy

Last edited by Elexius on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elexius
Elexius
Stallion/Mare

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:32 pm

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNTTTTT in space
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Elexius Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Admiral Stoic Rum wrote:CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNTTTTT in space
*Elexius Laughs quietly to himself.*
Elexius
Elexius
Stallion/Mare

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:46 pm

*laughs raunchy in elaxius' head*
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:56 pm

N On felt hat making in Texas

http://www.stetsonhat.com/video.php

Where I bought my hat (custom shaped from the crown to the brim)
http://www.thehatstore.com/
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Hear me for I am admiral stoic rum destroyer of threads.
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:46 pm

Admiral Stoic Rum wrote:Hear me for I am admiral stoic rum destroyer of threads.
Oh, don't worry; when I've got a free enough moment, I'm expecting some big posts.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 30 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 30  Next