Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+49
Scienza
Tacoman587
Downloaded Skill
iLateralGX
Luminous Lead
atikin
Veradon Chimera
Caoimhe
Train Dodger
Laperlazus
Thoroar
Stack Trace
FoolNeim
nallar
Vixie
PeppyJoe
joltius
Strawberry
Technowolf
neoaustin
Anonymouss
BLame
Caringhide
Silver136
Vexd
decumos
Evilgidgit
Exodus Hero
Blue Heron
tylertoon2
Vergil
RoboRed
MiniGaunt
Derpmind
Harmony Ltd.
MSCA
FeatherDust
O. Hinds
Icy Shake
SilentCarto
JadedPony
CD
Dekshuduph
Valikdu
Somber
ILM126
WavemasterRyx
Epsilon
Borsuq
53 posters

Page 19 of 31 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25 ... 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 19 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Vergil Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:23 pm

My city could use Blackjack about now.
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 19 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Icy Shake Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:33 pm

City name? Edited out. Sorry if that was more personal than it should have been.

Anyway, if there's anything I could point to that Somber does better than most pony writers I've read, I'd have to say it's ending chapters in a way that makes you want to keep reading. And the thing is, that's despite not handling them all in the same way. They aren't all action-oriented cliffhangers, or for that matter mysteries or cases where you're wondering what just happened, like when it looked like Blackjack was being framed for murder in Meatlocker. They aren't all big emotional moments, though many are. When they are emotional hits, sometimes it's the front half, like Glory walking in after Blackjack's return from Hightower, while others it's the resolution to something else, like Priest's funeral or Glory's death(?) in 71.

Chapter Seventy One Running Thoughts:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:05 am

Chapter Seventy One Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Seventy One Editing:
Other Editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:10 am

@Icy Shake:
Ah, thank you very much as always.

I'd already gotten the "dashite"s in 13; I suspect that the copy you were using may have been out of date. Not a problem, though.

Icy Shake wrote:That should be "medical," not "security," right? (chapter 1 says they report to medical or security, but I figured in the latter case they were then taken to medical since that's who did it) And should that bleeding out be part of it? I guess it could be covered by "shot" and "chemical retirement" but it seems a little in conflict with Blackjack thinking getting beaten to death was inhumane: would that be much worse than chemical-indused hemorraging?
Medical, yes, and I've changed "a needle in his neck till he bled out into a jar" to "a needle full of drugs in his neck".

Icy Shake wrote:I believe that should be "breech"
Icy Shake wrote:I believe "parlay" should be "parley"
My dictionary agrees with you; thanks!

Icy Shake wrote:most cases of "plan [x]" throughout the story haven't capitalized the "plan"
There were even inconsistencies within that chapter, it looks like.

Icy Shake wrote:“Told you. Busy now,” she said as she looked at the old zebra.

"zebras", I think
No, but the wording was indeed flawed; I can see why you got confused. Thanks. "as she" has been changed to ", then"; the first bit of dialogue was Pythia speaking to Scotch, the second Pythia speaking to Atropos.

Icy Shake wrote:"had seemed to protect" would be talking about observing it as it happened, and looking back to that, where this looks like it's based on observation in the present, and inferring the protection from her current state
Aye; not sure how that got through.

Icy Shake wrote:I don't remember Silver Stripe ever being described as having a monotone. I don't think her Great and Powerful Oz routine would work that well in a monotone, and she's, for instance, "laughed brightly." Maybe change to "a robotic monotone"?
I've changed it to "a robotic monotone of Silver Stripe’s voice".

Icy Shake wrote:"rise", but dialog
I think "raise" was fine, but I decided to change it to "activate" just in case.

Icy Shake wrote:comma after "surface"
Hm... I disagree, sorry.

Icy Shake wrote:need a "he" or something ("and he smashed his face"), because right now it's saying that he used his hoof to smash his face into hers.
I've changed it to "aside so he could smash".

Icy Shake wrote:I confess, I don't really follow here. The prophesy being in some sense legit, yeah, I get that. But why would Princess Luna "strike down the city of evil," Hoofington, Nightmare Moon's own city? There's evil, and then there's "Wait . . . what was your plan again?"
That... does seem odd, yes. Not sure what's going on there.

Icy Shake wrote:But more importantly: how do you make the scrunchy face cuter? Have Boo do it. Obviously.
:)

Icy Shake wrote:Dammit, who missed the memo?
Oops. I'll take that out. I recall there being a lot of shuffling around in that chapter, and I suspect that this was a ripple.
Oh, and also changing "verses" to "versus". :D

Icy Shake wrote:And I missed that the first time: a sunrise, just like Glory's cutie mark.
...Just checking, because your wording is a bit unclear: you got that that was actually referring to the missile's warhead detonating, right? If not, do you think it needs rewording?
You do have a nice point about the cutie mark relation, though.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:25 pm

Maybe someone asked if before, but anyway, Somber, how many chapters are there suppose to be in the story? I understand it won't be many more, we're at the very end, but do you have any specific number in your mind? And do you plan to add some kind of epilogue in the end, just like Kkat have done?
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:31 pm

Currently, we're expecting two more, 75 and 76, with an epilogue to be released at the same time as 76. Somber did mention that he might need to add another chapter, though.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:12 pm

This is the shit that makes me want to stop writing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/falloutequestria/comments/33seik/is_murky_number_seven_over/cqr92nh

Is Horizons killing other fics?
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Nope. People read what they like and that's all there is to it. All I see there is a whole lot of nonsense.
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:20 pm

Somber wrote:This is the shit that makes me want to stop writing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/falloutequestria/comments/33seik/is_murky_number_seven_over/cqr92nh

I think the answer is in principle indeterminate. On the one hand, having a long-running Fallout: Equestria fic may tend to keep its fans interested in FoE more generally. On the other, they do take up time that might be devoted to other, new fics.

Now, when you think about the amount of time it actually takes to keep up with PH, MN7, and Heroes, I'd guess it comes out to an average of under two hours per week. I tend to put in ~6 hours per new chapter of PH, but that's with taking notes, editing, and my rough impressions, which go much faster than the ones for chapter rereads. So I'd say that's a ceiling. Divide that over the 6-8 week per chapter average over the last year, and that gives you an hour a week. The slow updates from the other two mean they require even less. So in terms of just keeping up with the three unfinished stories from the Big Five, if they are stifling attention for FoE fics generally, it's because nobody is devoting time to Fallout: Equestria at all, in any significant quantity, and the end of those wouldn't exactly let a thousand flowers bloom. Maybe two, perhaps a bit more if there's actually a lot of enthusiasm built up when people first substitute away. Of course, it's also possible that there are a ton of people I'm not aware of who spend a lot of time thinking about, making art for, etc. those few stories. If so, as I said, I haven't seen them; it's not like Derpibooru is overflowing with PH art (there's considerably more new FoE than PH flowing in, and it's been over for almost three and a half years), and even here isn't bubbling over the way it was in 2012.

I'd also add that people latching on to longfics is something that is just going to happen in the FoE fandom. If the people in it weren't the kind of people who did that, they probably wouldn't be in the fandom. So whole classes of shorter works are facing an uphill battle on that front, and if you assume that there's only room for a few at a time, then the turnover will be slow in any case.

Lastly, I'll reiterate the point I slipped in on the thread over there yesterday: 4/5 of the members of the FoE Big Five, the stories that people were complaining about, were those that got independent postings on EQD. Guess what: I'm not aware of anyone with the clout EQD had to promote fics from the middle of 2011 to the middle of 2012. Even if other FoE stories could get that promotion now, it doesn't drive views the way it used to. In my opinion, what's needed isn't less competition, but someone with a platform to send a few thousand views at vetted stories. Basically, it's harder to get noticed than it was in the second half of 2011, early 2012. That's not just true for Fallout: Equestria. That's everyone. Oh, and it's just an anecdote, of course, but I should note that a thriving PH community here was why I gave Anywhere But Here a chance (couldn't get through the second chapter), and read All that Remains until it stopped updating, and tried with Murky Number Seven (stopped around 10 or 12, then a year or so later came back through to get caught up around 20, sticking with the updates for a couple more chapters before I just stopped again). I'd say that if anything, a stronger and more cohesive and active fanbase around any one story would make more room for others to thrive, as it would act as a way of signal boosting new things.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:49 am

Somber wrote:Is Horizons killing other fics?

No, someone is just jealous. I mean, it's literally "oh no, your story is so popular, no way we can top that".
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:01 am

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:And I missed that the first time: a sunrise, just like Glory's cutie mark.
...Just checking, because your wording is a bit unclear: you got that that was actually referring to the missile's warhead detonating, right?  If not, do you think it needs rewording?
You do have a nice point about the cutie mark relation, though.
No, I don't think it needs to be reworded. Even if it were a little ambiguous (which I don't even think is the case unless reading the sentence in isolation), I think the sunrise would be worth keeping. And no matter what, I don't think you'd want to do anything that would add more length or complexity to the sentence.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:27 am

[reads a bit]
Ah, Hidden Fortune.
Moving on.

Vergil wrote:Nope. People read what they like and that's all there is to it. All I see there is a whole lot of nonsense.
This, basically. I was going to type my own reply, but Vergil said it. You're not forcing anyone to read PH. You're not going around and trying to hide other stories (you have at least once, in fact, actively tried to use PH to promote other authors' stories).

And what Icy Shake said. Well put, Icy Shake, unsurprisingly. :)

Valikdu wrote:No, someone is just jealous. I mean, it's literally "oh no, your story is so popular, no way we can top that".
Utterly shocking that Hidden is right there in front and I'm getting on to her again I'd better stop.

Icy Shake wrote:No, I don't think it needs to be reworded. Even if it were a little ambiguous (which I don't even think is the case unless reading the sentence in isolation), I think the sunrise would be worth keeping. And no matter what, I don't think you'd want to do anything that would add more length or complexity to the sentence.
Ah, thanks. :)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Evilgidgit Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:43 am

Project Horizons is not killing other fanfics. What nonsense. PH and Murky are both good stories in their own ways, but I can assure you that PH is not "killing" any stories. The speed of new chapters in Murky has nothing to do with the popularity of PH, but rather how busy the author is.
Evilgidgit
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luminous Lead Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:41 am

It isn't fair for them to say that.  Sure, maybe they DO have a slight point that other stories might get a bit more exposure after yours is done, but that's only because readers are going to feel a massive hole in their lives that PH comfortably filled for being so good, and they'll be antsy for more of the same, even if it's at a lower standard.

This is kind of how people turned heavily to fanfiction in the first place, once season 1 was done.  Do we blame the show for filling fanfiction's need? No! (Well, I suppose if we consider how it might redender some fannon AU, but- NO)  As you said, there are many factors that determine the popularity and growth rate of stories, and for many cases it's a matter of the author toughing it out until they hit their stride.  Was your story planted at just the right time? Sure.  Is it any less worthy of reading because of that? No! (I'm realize I'm echoing some of the points you made yourself, so I'm going to stop that lest I be dismissed as just an echo-chamber yes-man)

Now, I have a heavy bias towards adventure stories and I find that's what PH does best.  A-la-Sturgeon's Law, there's enough garbage in Fimfiction's FOE section that most of the time it's mostly not worth picking through. The quality ones I found either haven't gone far quickly (Looking at you, A Daily Unlife), stopped updating before they COULD go somewhere (I see you there, Homecoming) or are already done (hi Guise).  If I had to blame ANYTHING for the waning interest in stories, it would be the aging fandom (a lot more of us transitioning to new periods of our lives) and the oversaturation of crappy stories that makes locating the good ones like finding a needle in a cowpie.

I'm a bit personally a bit disappointed that Fuzzy's letting this rabid defamation of character go on in that subreddit given that I thought you guys were buddies, but I suppose that the guy has something more important to do than jump into internet debates.  Speaking of which, Somber, while I am overjoyed that you have the self-confidence/vindication to stand up for yourself, your readers and your work, you really should know better than to feed the trolls.  Trying to shame them in a public forum will only make them dig their heels in and then come back angry for round n+1; the fruit of frustration seeds itself, and nobody leaves with their honour intact.  I believe you can Do Better than that.

Edit: Wow. I can't believe I posted that last bit without noticing the irony of what I was saying, though my argument still stands.

Last edited by Luminous Lead on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Luminous Lead
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 21

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Luminous%20Lead

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:50 am

Went and read some of the comments, there are some good points made. Things that require a large time investment (mmos for instance) usually mean that a player can only actively play one at a time.

That being said I think the only way you could be faulted for any of that is if you were actually acting in a simpsons or anime like fashion. By that I mean intentionally dragging out the story or milking it you don't appear to be doing so.

Speaking honestly and only for myself you have by your own admission allowed the story's length to get away from you. I would be happy if the story concluded this year. Kinda hoping for the end of the summer.

The other point is something I've been wondering about or a while, is PH EQD appropriate anymore? Probably not. I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by ILM126 Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:01 am

No, I don't think it is killing other fics. When you finish this story, I'm sure another story will rise out of the massive Side Stories reserve and conquer the very competitively land of Fallout: Equestria spin-offs/side stories Luna

So yeah, lighten up Rarity Queen Pinkie Pie Have a Pinkie Pie Banana Dancing PinkiePie
ILM126
ILM126
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 15

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://ilm126.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ILM126 Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:02 am

O. Hinds wrote:Currently, we're expecting two more, 75 and 76, with an epilogue to be released at the same time as 76.  Somber did mention that he might need to add another chapter, though.

The hype is almost here! I can see the train in the distance now, coming towards the station! Dash clapping
ILM126
ILM126
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 15

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://ilm126.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:21 pm

[size=40]Wow, that was a hell of a reading to do!  As a newcomer who wants to get into this community, with all of its problems and issues, I had to read it till the end... [/size]
[size=40]Well, I personally think that saying PH lures away the readers from other stories is an exaggeration. Like it was already said, it's like saying the original show takes the limelight off the fanfics. Although they have a point about the story being very long and saturated with different events and ideas, but that's just how the story goes and how the author wants it to go. And there are enough people who like it that way, just as there are enough who don't. Saying it's wrong is just like saying you mustn't write at all because you might think of ideas someone else could use. Don't let people decide for you what and how to write! It's your story and your book, and it's you and only you who decide how to write your book (although it's important to not get it too saturated with different ideas too)... [/size]
[size=40]Yeah, that's a lot of envy here too. You got popular not just by your hard work but with a lot of luck, that's how the things work in our world. And that fact will always get less successful people envious. It's not wrong to be successful. Anyway, you mustn't stop yourself from success just by thinking it might come at the expanse of someone else's. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Yeah, it's right that people who like PH would spend time to read it instead of reading something else, but there's nothing wrong with that. If someone thinks it's wrong then why write at all? Why be successful and popular? Let's just all sit down and do nothing in fear someone will be better than us, or we'll be better than others! That way no one will be successful and no one will be envious. But that doesn't work that way. There's always competition, in every sphere of our life, and those who aren't ready to face it don't worth wasting your nerves on. There will always be people who dislike you and will try to bring you down. Don't let them do it! Remember, you write for the people who like and appreciate you, and not for them. So stop paying attention to those trolls and keep moving! We're waiting for the next chapter! ;) [/size]
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by decumos Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:36 pm

Yeah, I am aslo sick of all that hate towards PH. Whenever I write somewhere about it or mention it somehow haters appear and start their routine. I mean, it's okay to dislike something, but come on, this is getting ridiculous.
And now PH is suddenly bad because it is "too popular"? I heard the same point about MLP in general: "Duuuuh, ponies are dumb, you bronies ruined everything by your ponification and shitload of fanart on every goddamn site!"
Wait... So, basically, PH-fans are "bronies" of bronies, and PH-haters are antibronies of bronies? Huh. Bronception! *loud low trailer noise*
decumos
decumos
Colt/Filly

Character List:
Name: Lunar Lefty
Sex: Stallion
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:30 pm

Wow, before you mentioned it I didn't even think that way! But yeah, that's pretty similar. Just hating something because it's popular and some people like it is wrong and pointless!
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:07 pm

decumos wrote:Yeah, I am aslo sick of all that hate towards PH. Whenever I write somewhere about it or mention it somehow haters appear and start their routine. I mean, it's okay to dislike something, but come on, this is getting ridiculous.
And now PH is suddenly bad because it is "too popular"? I heard the same point about MLP in general: "Duuuuh, ponies are dumb, you bronies ruined everything by your ponification and shitload of fanart on every goddamn site!"
Wait... So, basically, PH-fans are "bronies" of bronies, and PH-haters are antibronies of bronies? Huh. Bronception! *loud low trailer noise*

Not really, no. I'm not familiar with who these people are but it does seem as if they at least read the story, if I had to guess they probably percieve the story as bad and dislike the fact that something they percieve to be bad is popular. Which is pretty different than "It's popular so it's bad".

And again not really. Having heard about MLP fans from non MLP fans it seems as if what they disliked was the constant pony presence there was for a while there. So unless you're talking about PH somewhere there trying to have a discussion about some other story in the FO:E setting (somewhere PH discussion doesn't really belong and probably isn't relevant) than it's likely not similar.

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:35 pm

Luminous Lead wrote:Now, I have a heavy bias towards adventure stories and I find that's what PH does best.  A-la-Sturgeon's Law, there's enough garbage in Fimfiction's FOE section that most of the time it's mostly not worth picking through. The quality ones I found either haven't gone far quickly (Looking at you, A Daily Unlife), stopped updating before they COULD go somewhere (I see you there, Homecoming) or are already done (hi Guise).
Have you tried Wasteland Bouquet?  Over 195 kilowords and ongoing, last updated less than a week ago.  It also has only seventy-four upvotes (to nine downvotes), so I keep trying to drum up more readers for it.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:05 am

O. Hinds wrote:That, and also trying to ascertain whether the percentage of readers that didn't pick up on the hints is large enough to warrant going back and clarifying.  I do think I've a bit of a preference for them being on the surface, but it's a small enough one that it might well just be because that's what I've been picturing this whole time.  And even if I keep that, it wouldn't be applied in PH; I don't see anything actually wrong with the plantations being underground, and that's what Somber wants.  I personally, though, don't think that the story sufficiently clearly conveys that rather significant characteristic at the moment, and I'm concerned that it's not just me (and, at least until I pointed this out, Icy Shake).

Still, so far it's me and Icy Shake not picking up on it vs. you and the rest of the writing team, so that's at least an approximately 71% success rate in the known cases.
Actually, I absolutely agree that this should be edited! I didn't realize you were looking for support.

The fact that I figured it out doesn't mean it was clear. My first mental image was of something like a greenhouse crossed with a factory, and while I soon realized what being a testbed for the Stables signified, I think we've thoroughly established that it's never actually stated outright.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:58 am

atikin wrote:About the stars - I know there were reference to the stars in the original FoE too, but just as you guys said, Somber expanded it a lot. I wanna know where did it came from? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no such mythology in the series, right? I would also ask Kkat, but he doesn't always answers, and even if he does, it takes him months. 
You're correct, there are no such ideas in Fallout, MLP, or any mythology I'm aware of, outside of the "aid in her escape" bit that Luminous Lead mentioned. It seems to be made up from whole cloth.

atikin wrote:I liked how Somber predicted the future when Cognitum took Blackjack's cutie mark. It wasn't possible in the series until season 5. However, I understand that the cutie mark not always connected to the talent, as Blackjack continues to succeed even without it. Or maybe winning isn't her special talent? What kind of talent is that anyway? She can't always win, that's just impossible...
She doesn't always win, but she beats the odds more often than not. Most fiction is like that -- it's usually not a question of whether the hero is going to win, but what the victory will cost.

In any case, I'm not at all sure that Cogs was right about her talent. There's two interesting details to remember here. First, her name is not Blackjack. It's Go Fish. She took her nickname from her cutie mark, and it doesn't necessarily signify victory unless you assume you're playing backjack. If you're trying to read the future with playing cards (Tarot?) it means something very different.

The second fact is that BJ doesn't remember her talent, which is pretty odd too. That's typically supposed to be a great moment of awakening for a pony, when they find (or come to terms with) their place in the world. BJ's talent appeared during the crisis with "Hatches", and I don't see any grand victories there. A childhood friend died in front of her, and the event was so traumatic that she has apparently repressed the events of those minutes, ot at least practices the "Don't Think About It" mantra -- she acknowledges that it happened, but her description of the event is... thin. In fact, the foals refused to speak their dead friend's name, instead renaming her Hatches, and Go Fish changed her name shortly afterward as well, as if to distance herself from the filly that lost her friend. I sort of have this sneaking suspicion that Hatches might have been very close to Go Fish, and possibly more than a friend, but that may just be my shipping goggles.

Don't see how that would be a thing. I'm currently keeping up with, what, two dozen fics? Thirty, maybe? Sure, a lot of them are more or less idle, but I wouldn't -- don't -- have a problem adding another fic to the pile if it sounds interesting and the writing doesn't make my eyeballs bleed.

Your post was exactly right. If a lot of FoE fics don't get widely read, it's because their readers don't go tell others, "You have to read this!" To be honest, I think a lot of people believe that all FoE takes is a few interesting characters and an interesting setting, then take your big bottle of Grimdark Soda and "appwy wibewawwy," as Homestar Runner put it. That's a start, and it'll carry a reader for a chapter or two, but it misses the point. The grimdark has to exist not for its own sake, but to highlight the hope that there's light at the end of the tunnel.

But then, you could probably articulate the je ne sais quoi that makes an FoE story tick better than I could.

P.S. If this guy's fics are as incoherent as his Reddit rants, it's no wonder nobody wants to read them.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:35 am

And if I'm going to practice what I preach, here's a list of cool fics you might wish to read!

Fic Recommendations:
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:47 am

SilentCarto wrote:
atikin wrote:I liked how Somber predicted the future when Cognitum took Blackjack's cutie mark. It wasn't possible in the series until season 5. However, I understand that the cutie mark not always connected to the talent, as Blackjack continues to succeed even without it. Or maybe winning isn't her special talent? What kind of talent is that anyway? She can't always win, that's just impossible...
She doesn't always win, but she beats the odds more often than not. Most fiction is like that -- it's usually not a question of whether the hero is going to win, but what the victory will cost.
Yeah. I don't remember where, but I recall once hearing that the difference between an action story and a horror story is that in the former, you're looking to see how the protagonists survive/win, while in the latter, the question is if they'll survive. It's a nice shortcut for thinking about things.
SilentCarto wrote:
Somber wrote:Is Horizons killing other fics?
Don't see how that would be a thing. I'm currently keeping up with, what, two dozen fics? Thirty, maybe? Sure, a lot of them are more or less idle, but I wouldn't -- don't -- have a problem adding another fic to the pile if it sounds interesting and the writing doesn't make my eyeballs bleed.
Yeah, should have mentioned this, too. I'm tracking almost thirty stories on FimFiction. None of them are Fallout Equestria related; plenty of those are slated to be read at some point (including Wasteland Bouquet). Why? Well, most (all?) of the recommendations I see are for things that are not FoE. Also, for completed stories, mostly one-shots or short multi-chapter stories, in the 15,000-30,000 word range. And I've had an attitude for a while now where I'll jump on something if there isn't very high of a barrier (see previous range, roughly), and then keep following and reading as it updates, but will only deal with one already really long story at a time (besides Horizons). Right now, and probably for a long time, that one is This Platinum Crown, prompted by The Sweetie Chronicles.

So, if I were to suggest a marketing strategy (beyond posting things wherever you can, getting prereaders and friends to signal-boost, trying to get people to review it, all that), it would be to get about the first 20-30,000 words/5-6 chapters written and edited, know how long it takes to write a chapter/publishing unit, and then release the first few chapters while announcing that you already have X updates already written, and will be releasing then at Y interval, writing ahead to keep a targeted buffer.* It's roughly what Horizon did with his Hard Reset spinoff, and was working really well until a bunch of unrelated stuff blew the plan apart. Granted, I can't say that he needed that kind of plan to get people reading, since he has his own following and plenty of people who could do effective and high-quality amplification for him, but the principle is good. Related, see the comments on the latest OMPR. There are some people there with a similar concept (like Pascoite), but for stories written out completely before publication. Obviously, that's probably an unreasonably high bar to clear for for typical FoE side story, just due to length.

Basically, you need to thread a needle. Too much backlog is intimidating, a barrier to entry, but "Incomplete" is a risk for the reader.

*And yes, that will tend to negatively affect the ability to adapt in response to reader input. Not entirely, even within the buffer, but potentially significantly. But sometimes it'll be worth it, especially if you don't have a follower base already, or someone with a platform helping you out. And it'll help you get a reputation as a reliable updater, which should be a gift that keeps on giving even past the initial story.

Last edited by Icy Shake on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:48 am

Seems to me that the people in that thread were just itching to blame something.

The worst part is, whether or not it's actually true doesn't matter, as the next FOE fic to get really popular is going to be seen as only getting that way because PH has ended if the people's attitudes in there are any indication.
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:09 am

SilentCarto wrote:Actually, I absolutely agree that this should be edited! I didn't realize you were looking for support.

The fact that I figured it out doesn't mean it was clear. My first mental image was of something like a greenhouse crossed with a factory, and while I soon realized what being a testbed for the Stables signified, I think we've thoroughly established that it's never actually stated outright.
Ah, thanks; I've written Somber with your recommendation. I've no idea when he'll write back, but once he lifts the prohibition I recall him placing on this being clarified (or informs me that I misremembered and/or misinterpreted and that there was no such prohibition), I ought to be able to get it taken care of pretty easily, I think.

Also, some interesting speculations in that later post about her cutie mark, I think.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:37 am

Hidden Fortune is Hnetu, one of the main people against Somber in that thread. She was also also, some time before you joined us, very briefly an editor. That, to put it mildly, did not work out well. I don't even really like that Somber said we had to list her as a former editor on the hub page, but, well, that's his decision.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Luminous Lead Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:10 am

O. Hinds wrote:
Luminous Lead wrote:Now, I have a heavy bias towards adventure stories and I find that's what PH does best.  A-la-Sturgeon's Law, there's enough garbage in Fimfiction's FOE section that most of the time it's mostly not worth picking through. The quality ones I found either haven't gone far quickly (Looking at you, A Daily Unlife), stopped updating before they COULD go somewhere (I see you there, Homecoming) or are already done (hi Guise).
Have you tried Wasteland Bouquet?  Over 195 kilowords and ongoing, last updated less than a week ago.  It also has only seventy-four upvotes (to nine downvotes), so I keep trying to drum up more readers for it.
I've been reading for hours and I can't stop. Whyhaveyoudonethistome. I love/hate you. Pinkie Pie

Luminous Lead
Earth Pony

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Luminous%20Lead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 31 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25 ... 31  Next