Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+19
Moodyman90
tylertoon2
iLateralGX
RoboRed
O. Hinds
StoneSlinger88
Ironmonger
Cptadder
brony all alone
Kattlarv
Scienza
Ketchup
Valikdu
Harmony Ltd.
Stringtheory
Frost
Katarn
Tytan
Vinylshadow
23 posters

Page 27 of 31 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 27 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Valikdu Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:27 am

Ah yes, the good old "compare the other side to Hitler/Bin Laden/whoever" fallback. I take it that making those is what the anti-Gamergate crowd resorts to now?
Although I've already heard some before, I think.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 27 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:15 am

I think you could make an album called "Middle Eastern Proxy Wars." Probably would be prog or alt. rock or something.

Talking of albums (gosh, what a segue!), the new Ziltoid/Devin Townsend Project double-feature album's out! I'm mostly done with it, and am favorably impressed. Obviously it's less heavy than previous outings, what with Devin's current leanings, but it's still a glorious piece of bombast, and the Ziltoid album's friggin' hilarious - the second half of "Through the Wormhole" was especially perfect. The DTP one has a sort of synth pop vibe to some of it, while still definitely being the upbeat kind of metal Devin's been doing of late, and it was pretty enjoyable. Ziltoid's definitely gonna be my favorite of the pack, though. It's got the ultimate coffee bean in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:40 am

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:
I'll let you piece out the context:
If they're Al Qaeda, I guess the other side's ISIS. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get those two to fight each other? Though, on reflection, proxy wars in the Middle East have not exactly resulted in positive outcomes, historically speaking.
Fuck, accidental downvote. Goddamn mobile and scrolling.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:47 am

I've balanced it out for you.

Last edited by Katarn on Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:48 am

Scienza wrote:
Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:
I'll let you piece out the context:
If they're Al Qaeda, I guess the other side's ISIS. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get those two to fight each other? Though, on reflection, proxy wars in the Middle East have not exactly resulted in positive outcomes, historically speaking.
Fuck, accidental downvote. Goddamn mobile and scrolling.
No worries, thanks for explainin' it!

Cheers, Katarn!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:07 am

So. Yesterday I had classes on Unix/Linux. After some lecture we proceeded to install system. None was managed to do so. I guess it's a sign of how it will go from here.
Even if it didn't installed due to corrupted CD's, it still was hilarious.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:20 am

Katarn wrote:Well, I can relate..sorta. When I was attending to firing range I had to load ~20 magazines every time for ~4 month, since i was youngest. What i mean - I was attending sport carbine shooting range as part of my after classes activity.
You guys are lucky, then. You won't see any educational program include any sort of shooting, extracurricular or no, around here. Bitches thing if a kid sees a firearm he's gonna turn into some sort of rabid wildebeest. With a firearm.
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:51 am

Well, tbh, we don't have firearms in free sell here (though it might've lowered crime rating a bit..but people might not be ready for that yet), so only kind of firearms we can have home - hunting shotguns, hunting carbines and air guns.
Though you can carry air gun in your bag, pocket, etc w/o any permit or license.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:55 am

Well, yeah, air guns are considered more-or-less toys around here.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:00 am

With this 'toy' my friend scarred away street thug, in darkness of the night it looked like a real gun.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:13 am

Mister Frost wrote:Well, yeah, air guns are considered more-or-less toys around here.

Airsoft or Pellet rifles? Cause those pellet rifles can kill. My dad got shot with one and the pellet penetrated between his ribs and bounced around his chest, had to be sent by ambulance to one hospital and then by helicopter to another.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:58 am

Around here (meaning both Texas and Ohio) you can pretty much walk into Walmart and buy a pellet gun. I'm aware that they're by no means harmless, but compared to the fact that anyone one might threaten or attack with a pellet gun has a statistically pretty strong chance of being armed with an actual gun....kinda takes the fear out of it, a bit.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:04 pm

My uncle shoots squirrels off the bird feeder with a pellet gun

Stupid things keep coming back though
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:06 pm

TIL the official Denny's Tumblr is the best thing ever.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:38 pm

Still don't get why people are so hyped over bacon

Sausage, on the other hand...
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:12 pm

I found out recently that, for Halloween, one of my brothers is going to buy an ugly pumpkin, and then he's going to carve "Ebola" into it. I have no idea what the hell he plans to do with it beyond that.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Scream Fortress 2014

With Bumper Cars!

This should be nothing short of terrifying
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:41 pm

Ironmonger wrote:I found out recently that, for Halloween, one of my brothers is going to buy an ugly pumpkin, and then he's going to carve "Ebola" into it. I have no idea what the hell he plans to do with it beyond that.

Well if it was a little pumpkin your brother could have bought a magnifying glass and called it media. Then he could have gone as a hipster for halloween.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:06 pm

Last wrote:
Well if it was a little pumpkin your brother could have bought a magnifying glass and called it media. Then he could have gone as a hipster for halloween.

I have two guesses as to what he'll be, if anything. Knowing him, he'll dress up as Frankenstein's Monster, or he'll be a vampire and call himself "Count Chunkula".

Most of my basis for these conclusions are the fact that my entire family is nuttier than a Payday bar.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:30 pm

So, after accruing over 12 hours of gameplay in less than two days, I can attest that Civilization Beyond Earth is at least as addicitive as any other titles in the series.

First game launched completely randomly. Got the Slavic Federation, and without too much thinking about it, I ended up going really hardcore Supremacy through quests and technological developments.

Haven't really tested combat much thus far (haven't started the Purge yet, concentrating on weeding the weakest elements for now), but so far I like the feel of the supremacy faction. They don't have the biggest guns (apparently this is Purity's thing), but they stack so many bonuses that I don't feel like I lack any of it.

Though it helps that I also minored in Harmony, and turned the planet's ecosystem to my advantage (regen bonuses fuck yeah). I can take a hell of a beating without flinching with that.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:39 pm

And I just lost to the Franco-Iberians, these fucking harmony tree-huggers having achieved a transcendence victory.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:52 pm

wut:

Huh. Normally it's the anti-gun lobby that jumps on mass shootings to push their agenda.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
wut:

Huh. Normally it's the anti-gun lobby that jumps on mass shootings to push their agenda.
Is it even gender-related in any way whatsoever? Like if the guy specifically targeted women, I could kind of understand the angle, but still, fuck people who jump on tragedy to advance goals.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:16 pm

Not so far as I can tell--most every mass shooting I've heard of is just random. It's just a chance to be a dickwaffle and use death and misery as a chance to advance one's position.

On an unrelated note, I don't think Ebola would be ravaging Africa right now if more people would just vote Republican.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:45 pm

I've not heard of these notes that have been found. I might have to look into that.

I suspect, in lots of cases, 'Contagious shooting' isn't about something so understandable or human as fear--it happens in soldiers, too. Fear may play a part of it, but a bigger part is that the part of the brain that handles conflict just goes into overdrive and "I'll kill if I have to/because my buddies are in danger" becomes "I'll kill if I get to/because that guy's moving" Kind of a cold-blooded berserk state, known in some circles as a "battle trance". Sounds horrible, but it's also the same mechanism that lets a guy unflinchingly jump on a grenade rather than let it go off in his squad's faces. It's less a state driven by fear and more a state defined by the lack of it. No fear, little pain. Little identity, even. One assumes, in the case of soldiers, either a collective identity, or, in the case of an active shooter, no identity whatsoever--all he is is his actions, and his only action is "Kill".

Scary, perhaps, that the mind is capable of such things, but most people would rather forget that we, a weak, slow, fragile species, didn't claw our way to the top of the food chain because of our capacity to build bridges and compose symphonies.

EDIT: Not to compare soldiers to random mass shooters (I don't think I'm inclined to insult soldiers, for whatever reason) but it's been theorized that that's what mass shooters are-- the Audie Murphys, Joe Hoopers, and Carlos Hathcocks of the modern day, just wired for that sort of all-out conflict (even if they're not immune to the psychological damage, like Murphy) in an era where not even the heaviest warzones allow for an outlet, because of ROEs and civilian considerations and a million other things we could bitch about. Warriors without a war, essentially. It's a similar vein to the thought that a good number of snipers, were they not in their chosen profession, would be serial killers. Again, a scary thought, but it's a similar line of thought to the idea that those with what we call ADHD are just wired to be hunter/gatherers in an age where that's not really possible--some people are wired to be the killers that we needed to survive in our early days, and this age doesn't have a place for them.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:04 am

Mister Frost wrote:*snip*
Yikes, I was beginning to forget just how scary humans can be...

EDIT: Care to recommend some reading? I want to go into more depth on this.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:15 am

Mister Frost wrote:Scary, perhaps, that the mind is capable of such things, but most people would rather forget that we, a weak, slow, fragile species, didn't claw our way to the top of the food chain because of our capacity to build bridges and compose symphonies.

We got on top because we could cooperate on a level other species can barely touch.

We created language that can relay more complicated concepts than 'here I am' and 'food'.

We stayed on top because we can do one thing better than any other species on the planet.

We can anticipate and plan for the future.

It started with hunting animals for their furs so we wouldn't freeze during the winter. Then we invented villages. Then we planted our own crops so we wouldn't have to forage for our food. Then we domesticated animals for various purposes.

So on and so forth for millennium so we could keep what we had from those that wanted it, and so we could take what we wanted from those that had it.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:18 am

Stringtheory wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:*snip*
Yikes, I was beginning to forget just how scary humans can be...
Yeah, that collective/ loss of identity is probably the scariest part of it. While, again, it's the mechanism that lets one jump in front of a bullet that was about to hit your friend, it's also the part that lets a guy stand in front of a judge and say that he was just following orders--in that mental state (encouraged by the dehumanizing, de-individualizing nature of being part of a faceless mass of uniforms) it can get so intense that one stops judging their actions based on what they've come to consider 'right' and 'wrong', they judge them based on 'what I was told to do/what everyone else is doing' versus 'out of line'. Sort of a very disciplined mob-mentality, in the same way it's a more cold and calculating berserker state.

As much as modern people like to express their individuality, uniqueness, and separation from the crowd; it wasn't, in terms of evolution/adaption, the ones that went off on their own and separated from the pack/tribe that passed on their genes, and for very good reason.

Disturbing as it may be, there's as much evidence for "Nature" as there is "Nurture". People who are raised the same way can find themselves being immensely different, and people who come from wildly differing backgrounds can find a lot of common ground in their views and thoughts, because, while how one's raised can have a lot of effect, there's some shit that groups of the population are just hard-wired for.

@Swick: Well, I'd chalk that up more to them being nutters than any, as the video said, actual culturally-encouraged behavior. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think we can really judge a sane person's views by the actions of a disturbed psychopath that professes the same views.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:21 am

Tytan wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:Scary, perhaps, that the mind is capable of such things, but most people would rather forget that we, a weak, slow, fragile species, didn't claw our way to the top of the food chain because of our capacity to build bridges and compose symphonies.

We got on top because we could cooperate on a level other species can barely touch.
Thus, temporary states of collective identity during which the group is capable of acts that the individual would never contemplate, like slaughtering a whole tribe for their much-needed supplies, or--fast-forward ten thousand years--shooting up an entire village because there might be enemies hiding out there, or just because your commander said so.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:24 am

Tytan wrote:

We created language that can relay more complicated concepts than 'here I am' and 'food'.

We stayed on top because we can do one thing better than any other species on the planet.

We can anticipate and plan for the future.

It started with hunting animals for their furs so we wouldn't freeze during the winter. Then we invented villages. Then we planted our own crops so we wouldn't have to forage for our food. Then we domesticated animals for various purposes.

So on and so forth for millennium so we could keep what we had from those that wanted it, and so we could take what we wanted from those that had it.
Also language and writing. Those are kind of super important.
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 31 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next