Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+16
iLateralGX
Ironmonger
RoboRed
Kattlarv
Tytan
Stringtheory
OneMoreDaySK
Katarn
O. Hinds
Frost
Scienza
StoneSlinger88
Vinylshadow
Valikdu
Harmony Ltd.
Scyto Harmony
20 posters

Page 8 of 30 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19 ... 30  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 8 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Frost Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:15 am

What no one mentions about the apocalypse:
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 8 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Ironmonger Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:18 am

I'm not enitrely sure what to make of this.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:23 am

And my last post before I retire for the evening:

Skyrim Fan Art:
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:15 am

camobait:
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:36 am

Ironmonger wrote:I'm not enitrely sure what to make of this.
That squirrel is working with the Saints!
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:03 pm

swickedbait:
scienzabait:
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:19 pm

*eye twitches at Celestia's bust size*

Fleur Dis Lee:
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:26 pm

What a time to be alive.

We're basically living in the part of the Fallout timeline a few decades before the start of the resource wars.

I know what I'm going to invest my money on.

*clutches a cybertechnology-and-space-themed magazine*
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:36 pm

Robobait?:

Want me to make that into an Avatar for future use?
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:48 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:What a time to be alive.

We're basically living in the part of the Fallout timeline a few decades before the start of the resource wars.

I know what I'm going to invest my money on.

*clutches a cybertechnology-and-space-themed magazine*
Saw that article yesterday. My first thought:
Spoiler:

Vinylshadow wrote:
Robobait?:

Want me to make that into an Avatar for future use?
Nah. I mostly just like twilite-sparkleplz's version of SS. AssassinShimmer ftw.
Cute, though.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:00 pm

Remember when we threatened each other with nukes?

Everything was so much simpler back then...
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:17 pm

When you eat at a particular place for with such frequency and for long enough that you ask the waitress for "the usual" and she knows exactly what you want.

Yup. I am a person of habits.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lnxdgyynkUU
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:24 pm

I've had people at McD's ask if I was renting the table I sit at
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:29 pm

My god...
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:39 pm

And so it begins
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:47 pm

And people wonder why I avoid politics
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Mister Frost wrote:And so it begins
It's like half the entire military had called it to start with.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:13 pm

Imagine it "Twitch plays" played both sides of a pokemon battle

Wonder how long it would take
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:30 pm

StoneSlinger88 wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:And so it begins
It's like half the entire military had called it to start with.

Makes you wonder what current "freedom fighters" that the CIA are currently assisting that future!U.S. will have to deal with later. If we have to deal with reprecussions from the 80's and 90's  What will those 20 years later have to deal with?
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:41 pm

Finished New Vegas

Gee, I missed a lot of crap...

Jacobstown, Tabitha, Fiends, Powder Gangers...
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:59 pm

Murky:
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:10 pm

<a href="http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/17/Exposed-the-secret-mailing-list-of-the-gaming-journalism-elite">And the gaming community explodes.</a>
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:44 pm

swicked wrote:
OneMoreDaySK wrote:<a href="http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/17/Exposed-the-secret-mailing-list-of-the-gaming-journalism-elite">And the gaming community explodes.</a>
...uh, why would this surprise anyone?
News (tv, newspaper, whatever) has been doing this forever. Did people think gaming news was different?

My favorite musical, the newsies, is partially about it. These kinds of agreements have always been going on.
"From our Partners: Fox News Political"
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:32 pm

The gaming industry has always been an odd beast since by it's nature it's a symbiotic relationship.  The game press has to make gamers happy by not lying to them but Game's company want the best scores possible.  The only way for websites to have well written reviews ready to go on launch day or shortly before is to get gold copies from the Game company's before launch so they have a week or so to play around before they write up.

The problem comes in mega corporations and non-games industry people getting into the game's industry who are vicious bastards who think only of today and never tomorrow.  Such people who look at a magazine or website who gives them a 70% or a 6 out of 10 and says "nope you get nothing from us".  Games journalists need that early access to stay relevant so they either have to bend the scores (See IGN) or die off (See lots of press) or try and split the middle (Gamespot) before going down in a blaze of publicity shame when a big scandal erupts about a shit game getting an inflated score.

Which leads to the current state of video games journalism. IE it's highly fragmented and not very profitable as the old standards like PC Gamer have been compromised into untrustworthy areas or are an out and out joke (IGN) or don't exist. Which is why the current trend is game review by Let's Players who rather than put together a base line score simply play it or the sea of Youtube celebrities (Say someone like Angry Joe) who does both Let's Play/Twitch streams and occasional reviews.

To be blunt simply writing a score is not that useful these days either people demand something extra (Like say Yahtzee) or personality (see Twitch streamers)
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Cptadder wrote:The gaming industry has always been an odd beast since by it's nature it's a symbiotic relationship.  The game press has to make gamers happy by not lying to them but Game's company want the best scores possible.  The only way for websites to have well written reviews ready to go on launch day or shortly before is to get gold copies from the Game company's before launch so they have a week or so to play around before they write up.

The problem comes in mega corporations and non-games industry people getting into the game's industry who are vicious bastards who think only of today and never tomorrow.  Such people who look at a magazine or website who gives them a 70% or a 6 out of 10 and says "nope you get nothing from us".  Games journalists need that early access to stay relevant so they either have to bend the scores (See IGN) or die off (See lots of press) or try and split the middle (Gamespot) before going down in a blaze of publicity shame when a big scandal erupts about a shit game getting an inflated score.

Which leads to the current state of video games journalism.  IE it's highly fragmented and not very profitable as the old standards like PC Gamer have been compromised into untrustworthy areas or are an out and out joke (IGN) or don't exist.  Which is why the current trend is game review by Let's Players who rather than put together a base line score simply play it or the sea of Youtube celebrities (Say someone like Angry Joe) who does both Let's Play/Twitch streams and occasional reviews.  

To be blunt simply writing a score is not that useful these days either people demand something extra (Like say Yahtzee) or personality (see Twitch streamers)  
Honestly, over the years, I've just come to the realization that the only way to know whether I'll enjoy a game is to just play it myself, since I've found that both critics (10/10 says IGN) and players (ME3's Metacritic score is still like 5.2/10) tend to be fickle as fuck. So, while I trust gaming news sights for, well, actual news, I haven't accepted a review at face value in a long time.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:51 am

Scienza wrote:
Honestly, over the years, I've just come to the realization that the only way to know whether I'll enjoy a game is to just play it myself, since I've found that both critics (10/10 says IGN) and players (ME3's Metacritic score is still like 5.2/10) tend to be fickle as fuck. So, while I trust gaming news sights for, well, actual news, I haven't accepted a review at face value in a long time.

A number is not a review, it can tell you nothing about a game, at all. A 10 does not summarize a game or any aspects of a game in any meaningful way. It simply doesn't. It can't even give you the most basic information like genre.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:53 am

Last wrote:
Scienza wrote:

A number is not a review, it can tell you nothing about a game, at all. A 10 does not summarize a game or any aspects of a game in any meaningful way. It simply doesn't. It can't even give you the most basic information like genre.

A number can if done well, something old X-Play use to do was sub divide a game into four or five categories like sound, story, visuals and gameplay. This end number would tell you for example that Baynoetta has great sound, good visuals, excellent gameplay and a shit story resulting in an 7 or 8 while something like FFXIV has great sound, pretty visuals and a shit non-sensical story and corridor game play. Because they would publish little notes besides each number.

By constantly being good and having numbers that "felt right" it gave you a good summary. Regardless of the number it was always only a gateway to the written or recorded review. A summary page at the end you could flip to find out the general notes.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:59 am

Last wrote:
Scienza wrote:

A number isn't a review but it is reflective of the opinions in that review. I used the numbers as examples simply because it's briefer and gets the point across, but the point is that the realistic marketing pressures that Adder was talking about have simply made me distrust professional game reviews more than I would have in the past (I distrust player reviews because, as a group, gamers have a massive tendency towards hyperbole). Reviews can be useful as context for finding games that seem interesting or relatively "good", but I have issues with trusting an individual review at face value.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:09 am

off-topic:

@Reviews

I used to filter most of reviewers or at very least look at them as biased. Who I,in most cases, listen to is TB.
And about numbers...well, let me quote one of reviews to DayZ: "Beans out of 10!"
First of all, even if story is shit in some game, there would be people, who got game for flashy pictures and fun gameplay.
If there is almost no graphic...*cough*Dwarffortress*cough*, people would love it for something else, so again - this numbers, in most cases, isn't reliable source of information. Best case - let's play or quick review from someone, who you trust.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:51 am

Half-Life blah:

I prefer to play a game myself before I read reviews, which is why I love games that have demos

Pokemons:
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 30 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19 ... 30  Next