Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+18
Derpmind
Vinylshadow
StoneSlinger88
Scienza
Scyto Harmony
OneMoreDaySK
Valikdu
Kattlarv
Cptadder
Tytan
RoboRed
Stringtheory
O. Hinds
iLateralGX
Harmony Ltd.
Katarn
Ironmonger
Frost
22 posters

Page 24 of 29 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Frost Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:42 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:Now THERE'S an interesting story idea...

What if the Elements of Harmony DIDN'T choose Twilight and her friends?

Would be hilarious if Twi went through her whole "[Pony] represents [Element] because" speech...and then nothing happened and they all fell to Nightmare Moon

It's already been done, hasn't it?

Would be nice if we fixed our own problems at home before we set out on a world-wide campaign to 'fix' everybody else's problems that they didn't ask us to help with

That's like me proposing my own ideas for Project Horizons and saying yours are wrong

I saw that shudder, don't try to hide it!

....are you actually capable of coherent thought?
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Vinylshadow Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:00 pm

The mental institution psychiatrist keeps asking the same thing

I'll tell you what I tell them (Fifth one this month)

"Nope"
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:03 pm

And on the other end of the spectrum, you have this.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:06 pm

Still waiting for unmanned ground patrol drones

Problem with that would be maintaining control if the camera gets taken out or something, unless you put in a fail-safe that causes it to self-destruct if communication/control gets interrupted
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:12 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:The mental institution psychiatrist keeps asking the same thing

I'll tell you what I tell them (Fifth one this month)

"Nope"

It's not funny, or cute, or charming, or whatever the fuck you think it is. It's just annoying. Stop.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:Still waiting for unmanned ground patrol drones

Problem with that would be maintaining control if the camera gets taken out or something, unless you put in a fail-safe that causes it to self-destruct if communication/control gets interrupted
Which'll be hilarious. Group of rangers will be on patrol when suddenly their G-drone explodes.

Sergeant: "GODDAMMIT, That's the fifth one this month."
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:And on the other end of the spectrum, you have this.
That is the cutest fucking thing I've seen in a long while.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:24 pm

Lulz

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:39 pm

Right. Because heavy assaults can be conducted by vehicles designed to run and hide.

I'm not sure DARPA understands the purpose of armored vehicles. Yes, IPads are useful. But sometimes, you just need a sledgehammer.

Plus, I can only imagine the man-hours to PMCS that thing......shudder
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:50 pm

I think the idea is less about replacing tanks and more about replacing/"enhancing" IFVs like the Stryker.

But I haven't really looked in-depth into what their plans are, so I don't know.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:10 pm

Mister Frost wrote:

Right. Because heavy assaults can be conducted by vehicles designed to run and hide.

I'm not sure DARPA understands the purpose of armored vehicles. Yes, IPads are useful. But sometimes, you just need a sledgehammer.

Plus, I can only imagine the man-hours to PMCS that thing......shudder
This is why need to finally get around to building multiped vehicles:
Tank:
Better Tank: link
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:12 pm

Well, there are two purposes that an IFV or APC could be employed towards--patrol, which are currently done by Strykers and moreso by HMMWV's and MRAP's, and assaults on urban or hardened targets, currently done by Strykers and Bradleys. In both roles, the vehicle and its crew will actually have to fight back upon contact, so designing your vehicle's protection around "avoiding engagement and detection" is kinds flawed. Plus, what happens when you're actually spotted? All the autonomous navigation systems in the world aren't exactly useful if your vehicle takes an RPG like a little bitch.

This vehicle has applications, perhaps, for special forces or scouting purposes. It will not, as DARPA seems to think, replace APC's or IFV's. 'Run and Hide' as a design philosophy isn't exactly Force Projection.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by brony all alone Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:32 pm

I finally got around to playing a fallout. New vegas. I may have crapped when I had fight legate at near end
brony all alone
brony all alone
Pegasus

Brohoof! : -1

Character List:
Name: RazorWing

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Nerds:

Hit and run?

Would be nice if we started using that tactic instead of "Drop a tank on them and call in an airstrike"
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:49 pm

brony all alone wrote:I finally got around to playing a fallout. New vegas. I may have crapped when I had fight legate at near end

Oh, Jesus H. Fuck, you're back.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:56 pm

Mister Frost wrote:Well, there are two purposes that an IFV or APC could be employed towards--patrol, which are currently done by Strykers and moreso by HMMWV's and MRAP's, and assaults on urban or hardened targets, currently done by Strykers and Bradleys. In both roles, the vehicle and its crew will actually have to fight back upon contact, so designing your vehicle's protection around "avoiding engagement and detection" is kinds flawed. Plus, what happens when you're actually spotted? All the autonomous navigation systems in the world aren't exactly useful if your vehicle takes an RPG like a little bitch.

This vehicle has applications, perhaps, for special forces or scouting purposes. It will not, as DARPA seems to think, replace APC's or IFV's. 'Run and Hide' as a design philosophy isn't exactly Force Projection.
On a semi-related note, is there a reason why we haven't developed a UAV for a direct fighter rather than recon/hunter-killer role? Presumably it would improve aerodynamics and the safety while simultaneously taking away that pesky issue of humans blacking out while undergoing high-g's. The only issue I can think of is latency and maybe R&D costs (then again, we're spending 323 billion on F-35s).

Then again, I'm neither a pilot nor military, so perhaps there's something I'm missing.

Last edited by Scienza on Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:13 pm

At this point, I'd be very surprised if those aren't in the works. I've got nothing to do with the Air Force or anything associated with it, so Harm would know better than me, but most focus that I'm aware of in terms of aircraft goes to ground-support and logistics, not air superiority craft.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:19 pm

I'm sure they're being developed, but having a person in the craft is both a backup if the autopilot fails or if he is able to do something a computer can't, such as hand-crank landing gear or land on something other than a designated runway.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:27 pm

Yeah, there's just some things humans can do that machines can't

Eventually, though, we'll all become animatronic animals that murder people because they're not wearing a fuzzy costume
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:29 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:Yeah, there's just some things humans can do that machines can't

Eventually, though, we'll all become animatronic animals that murder people because they're not wearing a fuzzy costume

Spoiler:
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:30 pm

StoneSlinger88 wrote:I'm sure they're being developed, but having a person in the craft is both a backup if the autopilot fails or if he is able to do something a computer can't, such as hand-crank landing gear or land on something other than a designated runway.
That makes a lot of sense, but couldn't you solve some of that by making the drone remotely operated? It would have automated functions that prevent you from, say, accidentally flying it into the runway. It wouldn't be the same, but it would prevent the computer from crapping out on you and trying to land in the ocean.

brony all alone wrote:I finally got around to playing a fallout. New vegas. I may have crapped when I had fight legate at near end
Eh, by the time I decided to finish the main quest (after all the DLC), my Courier was so massively overpowered that she turned him into hamburger with relatively little effort.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:47 pm

Every time I play through New Vegas, my builds are usually optimized such that I'm pulverizing most foes by level 14 or so.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:49 pm

I ended up beating New Vegas and Skyrim both at level 14. Now I'm level 20-something and haven't even gotten to Whiterun to start seeing dragons yet.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:52 pm

Difficulty mods help.

I don't know if any of you use A Tale of Two Wastelands but apparently it has some balancing issues with the Fallout 3 weapons because I don't remember getting 3 shot killed by 10mm on Normal difficulty.
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:11 pm

I've played New Vegas so much that I now want to burst into flames every time I see it. At first I was so excited to play it because I had never played anything even remotely like it, but after a while I was like "fuck it".

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm

I'm not much of a fan of FPS mainly because the reactions are too "twitchy". Things can take a while to register in my mind, and my reactions aren't spot-on. Playing against friends can be fun for me because of the banter and hilarity, but against competitive people it's just a pain in the ass. Same goes for RTS games like Starcraft, minus the fun. Games like Warhammer 40k, single-player story-based games, and turn-based strategy are where it's at for me.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:54 pm

swicked wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:I've played New Vegas so much that I now want to burst into flames every time I see it. At first I was so excited to play it because I had never played anything even remotely like it, but after a while I was like "fuck it".
I took years to play it after receiving it as a gift. I just don't like FPS. I don't even know why.
I played the game through almost two entire times. That was enough.
I think I'll leave Skyrim at 1. Not much stuff to do differently on a prospective second time through.
I'm an FPS and RPG nut (though I still suck at both), and so I have played the shit out of New Vegas. By contrast, I've never really been able to get into any RTS's or their bizarro cousins, the MOBAs. I just can't really think strategically all that well and so I never really have fun while playing either genre.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:59 pm

Scienza wrote:
swicked wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:I've played New Vegas so much that I now want to burst into flames every time I see it. At first I was so excited to play it because I had never played anything even remotely like it, but after a while I was like "fuck it".
I took years to play it after receiving it as a gift. I just don't like FPS. I don't even know why.
I played the game through almost two entire times. That was enough.
I think I'll leave Skyrim at 1. Not much stuff to do differently on a prospective second time through.
I'm an FPS and RPG nut (though I still suck at both), and so I have played the shit out of New Vegas. By contrast, I've never really been able to get into any RTS's or their bizarro cousins, the MOBAs. I just can't really think strategically all that well and so I never really have fun while playing either genre.
I also like FPS and RPG games, sadly I can't get into the Fallout series because I immediately run into the 'not sure what stats I want/need' problem, which is immediately followed by 'Ah, big open world, not sure what do or where to go' problem, which is followed by the 'not sure which dialogue option to pick because I don't want to piss anyone off' problem. So you might say that I prefer statless (or at least limited stats with obvious effects) RPGs with a linear story. I like RTS and FPS but I'm nowhere near competitive at them and I'm not willing to sink the requisite number of hours into getting good at them. Also, fuck MOBAs.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:03 pm

At it's basic level, I just don't like games where I feel rushed or pressured during most of the gameplay. However, I don't mind small sections like that in a game, such as when a bomb is about to go off or the ceiling is caving in and I need to get out. Really, any game where I can take a step back and think for a bit before making my move is my kind of game. New Vegas met those criteria, but the game as a whole got repetitive after a while.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:04 pm

swicked wrote:
StoneSlinger88 wrote:I ended up beating New Vegas and Skyrim both at level 14. Now I'm level 20-something and haven't even gotten to Whiterun to start seeing dragons yet.
I don't understand what you are saying. You "beat" Skyrim without seeing dragons?
Didn't split up the sentences completely, my bad. The not seeing dragons bit was on a new walkthrough, referencing that I totally just fucked off in a random direction after getting out of Riverwood.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 29 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next