Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+18
Derpmind
Vinylshadow
StoneSlinger88
Scienza
Scyto Harmony
OneMoreDaySK
Valikdu
Kattlarv
Cptadder
Tytan
RoboRed
Stringtheory
O. Hinds
iLateralGX
Harmony Ltd.
Katarn
Ironmonger
Frost
22 posters

Page 15 of 29 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 29  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 15 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:38 am

Pretty birds

Happy anniversary?

I don't care what police do so long as they keep the peace

Sweet, new Freeman's Mind

Freeman's Mind 58:

He's been stuck in Black Mesa for three years...
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 15 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Ironmonger Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:47 am

I'm kinda biased against the police regardless of what happens. They harassed me and my mom a little too much. I get really nervous whenever I see a Crown Victoria now.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:50 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Maybe, I don't know. If you could get them to have that kind of culture, well, maybe then.

But until that, I wouldn't trust them with the power to wield firearms, when you can clearly see they don't even know the first thing about gun safety themselves (seriously, pointing you arm on someone unarmed and not menacing you? REALLY?)
Exactly what I mean. In my unit, I've seen guys get fucked up for an hour because they were holding simulated (rubber) weapons--still pointed away from anyone-- not in the proper carry position.
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:54 am

Scytobait:
http://oddponi.deviantart.com/art/Maid-Rarity-476952071
http://pony-berserker.deviantart.com/art/Some-Mares-Just-Want-to-Watch-The-World-Burn-476998689
http://rainbownspeedash.deviantart.com/art/Crystal-Rarity-477051528

Swickedbait:
http://joycall3.deviantart.com/art/Mama-477142269 (wat)
http://nemesis360.deviantart.com/art/Princess-Celestia-412703187
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:01 am

Mister Frost wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:Maybe, I don't know. If you could get them to have that kind of culture, well, maybe then.

But until that, I wouldn't trust them with the power to wield firearms, when you can clearly see they don't even know the first thing about gun safety themselves (seriously, pointing you arm on someone unarmed and not menacing you? REALLY?)
Exactly what I mean. In my unit, I've seen guys get fucked up for an hour because they were holding simulated (rubber) weapons--still pointed away from anyone-- not in the proper carry position.
I think maybe it's because Police are civilians, and can't get fucked over as thoroughly as people under military discipline rules can when they fuck up.

It's sad that acting like an abusive parent is the only effective way to ensure proper discipline with people.

I guess they need to internalize that they aren't the hot shit they believe they are before being trusted with the power to kill another human being?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:13 am

Cheering on the team:
http://seanica.deviantart.com/art/WonderGirls-Line-up-470170499

Beat it before I call the Brute Squad
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:45 am

That's another thing that actually perplexes me--as infantry especially, we're frequently in the field or working early (which can preclude PT on some days) we almost all smoke heavily, drink heavily, chug Monsters and eat like pigs. Yet, somehow, soldiers are consistently in better shape and conditioning than just about every non-veteran cop I've seen. Hell, most of the cops I've met that are fit, skilled and actually dedicated to the "protect and serve" thing are ex-military anyway.

I understand that a 12-hour patrol through town isn't quite the same as a five-day patrol in full kit through the mountains, nor are crips and bloods quite on the Taliban, ISIS or Chechnyan Mujahadin's level, but I do not think it's too much to ask for the people who are entrusted to protect the public to be able to fucking do so.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:51 am

Indeed. Unfortunately, I'm not sure you'd be able to recruit the literally millions of people necessary for a police-force if you expected them to meet them somewhat military-level fitness standards, and if they had to go through military training and subjected to military discipline.

The people who accept to go through that kind of shit will probably go preferentially toward the actual army.

So there remains only the fat asses who have this as their only way to get a job and not fall into criminality themselves.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:56 am

You have to recruit them, train them, pay them...why do that when you can pour all that money into a nonsensical war on bull?
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:01 pm

Geeze guys, seems like this thread is about to turn into full blown "fuck the pigs". I thought we had gotten to the point where we understood the terrible people the media shows us aren't the majority. Guess not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:04 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Indeed. Unfortunately, I'm not sure you'd be able to recruit the literally millions of people necessary for a police-force if you expected them to meet them somewhat military-level fitness standards, and if they had to go through military training and subjected to military discipline.

The people who accept to go through that kind of shit will probably go preferentially toward the actual army.

So there remains only the fat asses who have this as their only way to get a job and not fall into criminality themselves.

Fun fact. In CIS region countries you CAN'T join police or become firefighter w/o serving in army first.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Last wrote:Geeze guys, seems like this thread is about to turn into full blown "fuck the pigs". I thought we had gotten to the point where we understood the terrible people the media shows us aren't the majority. Guess not.
And if its the video I think that was linked that man was very clearly trying to suicide by cop. Approaching an officer with his weapon drawn while you also have a weapon (even if it is a knife) while yelling shoot me is not going to end well. Ever.
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:25 pm

iLateralGX wrote:
Last wrote:Geeze guys, seems like this thread is about to turn into full blown "fuck the pigs". I thought we had gotten to the point where we understood the terrible people the media shows us aren't the majority. Guess not.
And if its the video I think that was linked that man was very clearly trying to suicide by cop. Approaching an officer with his weapon drawn while you also have a weapon (even if it is a knife) while yelling shoot me is not going to end well. Ever.
Yeah it's that video that was linked. They gave him plenty of time to drop the weapon and stop.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Katarn wrote:
Fun fact. In CIS region countries you CAN'T join police or become firefighter w/o serving in army first.
That would cut away almost all of the US population--because, for all the American people like to bitch about how this war is "wasteful" and "costs American lives", taxes were not even raised to support it, and an all-time low percentage of the population ever actually served-- from 14% in WWII, to 7% in Vietnam, to 0.45% in Iraq and Afghanistan. Police forces try with their wannabe-paramilitary SWAT teams, and god knows the general populace is obsessed with military culture from video games to even fashion trends nowadays, but the vast majority of the population has never had to sacrifice anything or serve a day in their lives. As one person so elegantly put it, "Everyone wants to be a gangster, 'til it's time to do gangster shit."
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:31 pm

*sips root beer while I peruse fanfictions, oblivious to the world around me*

The writing is good, the story is great, it's just the characters that annoy me, but that's part of what makes this story charming...
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Guarddogjr wrote:
iLateralGX wrote:
Yeah it's that video that was linked. They gave him plenty of time to drop the weapon and stop.
1/ When your "bad apple" start representing a large enough portion of your basket that wide portions of the country's population have had to deal with them, and their crimes are covered not only by their colleagues but also by a non-negligible portion of the population (1) (2) (3), it may be sign that there may be some sort of systemic problem at play.

2/ Unless I have shit in my eyes, not once did I see the guy point a gun at anyone. He just had a gun on him, and if he was carrying it openly, when isn't that what the whole 2nd Amendment is about? And if this is illegal now, why don't we see more rednecks getting their shit wrecked by the police like this man did? Unless there's something I'm missing? A fundamental difference between this man that got pulled out by the police from the street just because he was carrying a gun like apparently the US constitution allow him to, and all the rednecks who go around carrying their weapons openly in the streets?

3/ Even if the guy repeatedly said "SHOOT ME!", the police had no obligation to oblige him so enthusiastically. I'm even pretty sure it was kind of illegal for them to use lethal force on someone who wasn't representing a clear and immediate danger to others.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:43 pm

Anyway, cute:

http://fiddlemod.tumblr.com/image/95464223477
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:50 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
Guarddogjr wrote:
iLateralGX wrote:
1/ When your "bad apple" start representing a large enough portion of your basket that wide portions of the country's population have had to deal with them, and their crimes are covered not only by their colleagues but also by a non-negligible portion of the population (1) (2) (3), it may be sign that there may be some sort of systemic problem at play.

2/ Unless I have shit in my eyes, not once did I see the guy point a gun at anyone. He just had a gun on him, and if he was carrying it openly, when isn't that what the whole 2nd Amendment is about? And if this is illegal now, why don't we see more rednecks getting their shit wrecked by the police like this man did? Unless there's something I'm missing? A fundamental difference between this man that got pulled out by the police from the street just because he was carrying a gun like apparently the US constitution allow him to, and all the rednecks who go around carrying their weapons openly in the streets?

3/ Even if the guy repeatedly said "SHOOT ME!", the police had no obligation to oblige him so enthusiastically. I'm even pretty sure it was kind of illegal for them to use lethal force on someone who wasn't representing a clear and immediate danger to others.
Harmony, they guy in the video approached the cops with a knife. If you LISTEN the cops say "Drop the knife" Three times he had plenty of time to stop approaching the police. The police shot the guy when he was close enough to stab them. The man was a threat to the police officers so they dealt with it.

Last edited by Guarddogjr on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Anyway, cute:

http://fiddlemod.tumblr.com/image/95464223477
Cute Midna is cute.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:54 pm

D'aw, Midna

Always was my favorite companion

Midna:
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:03 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:

I really have no idea what you're trying to say. This discussion is about racism now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Also Harmony open carry to my knowledge is only legal in certain states. Elsewhere you need a license.

Last edited by Last on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:06 pm

To two he didn't have a gun it was a knife I believe from after a robbery, its hard to see but in the video he does take it out when he is approaching the police. They give him time to stop and back down but after about 5 seconds or so its obvious at that point he isn't going to. The officers then have the choice to either try getting their taze guns (which would take time and give the man an opportunity to rush them potentially injuring or killing one of them) or to fire at the man that has zero intention of stopping.

For three refer to two because he did have a knife out and they had no reason to believe he was not going to use it. The man looks to be about the distance of the width of a car away before they open fire, that is pretty close.

Could this situation have gone better. Absolutely. 
Did this man pose a threat. Yes, one man with a knife can easily kill a person.

Now whether it was excessive is an entire different conversation. 

It would be better if this was not a potato cam though its really hard to tell what really happened but the above is what I personally saw.
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:11 pm

Police are usually trained to aim for the legs

Immobilize the threat and it becomes a lot easier to handle
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:15 pm

So it was just a knife? Even better!

Aren't they supposed to be trained on how to use this?
Spoiler:

And why would the first thing they start unholstering after getting out of the car is the lethal gun instead of the taser? Especially if the guy is only holding a knife and they are two against him, instead of a gun.

My guess is: they don't fucking care.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:20 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
And why would the first thing they start unholstering after getting out of the car is the lethal gun instead of the taser? Especially if the guy is only holding a knife and they are two against him, instead of a gun.

They were responding to an armed robbery call. They knew he had a weapon. We don't know if they knew he had a knife or if they were uninformed of what weapon we had.
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Harmony he does have his hand in his pocket from the start of the video until the police arrived. They can't see what he has until he pulls it out. Expecting the police to have Xray vision is a bit much.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:24 pm

Sugimori, y u no draw new Red art

RBY Red:

GSC Red:

The least you could've done was re-draw him for BW2's PWT
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:31 pm

Last wrote:Harmony he does have his hand in his pocket from the start of the video until the police arrived. They can't see what he has until he pulls it out. Expecting the police to have Xray vision is a bit much.
Even then, from what I've seen in the video, they shot to kill, and that was unprovoked.

Take away their guns until they're trained to use them safely. Until then, this is as much as I'd be willing to give them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash-ball
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Plus the man had a knife. You don't approach a man with a knife with a nightstick.
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 29 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 29  Next