Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions

+4
Evilgidgit
O. Hinds
Vinylshadow
Harmony Ltd.
8 posters

Page 2 of 24 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 24  Next

Go down

[Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions - Page 2 Empty Re: [Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:22 am

By which I mean: here's some juicy large slice of territories populated only by people with only iron age technology that could easily be subverted by force (if one isn't above commiting genocide in the process).

Though here's a thing: they don't like technology, but what about magic? Maybe the church's scholars are actually very well versed in the arcane arts?

Cue large medieval armies led by wizards somehow rofl-stomping the Alliance's armies on the field.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

[Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions - Page 2 Empty Re: [Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions

Post by Vinylshadow Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:29 am

If you don't expect it, you can't counter it

Even though overwhelming firepower would likely wipe out the enemy before they got anywhere near you

Unless of course they're hyper-stealthy, sneak into the enemy on their doorstep and slit the commander's throat or something

I'd love a FoE setting that doesn't feature high-tech futuristic guns and tanks

SHARP POINTY STICKS AND MAGIC

I could see an advanced nation being reduced back to medieval living as a result of everyone that knew how to make/maintain the futuristic machines dying off
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:33 pm

Harmony wrote: Re Germaneigh: I get a very distinct feeling of "here is why this very large tract of land cannot be relevant" from it.
Sorry…

Harmony wrote:By which I mean: here's some juicy large slice of territories populated only by people with only iron age technology that could easily be subverted by force (if one isn't above commiting genocide in the process).

Though here's a thing: they don't like technology, but what about magic? Maybe the church's scholars are actually very well versed in the arcane arts?

Cue large medieval armies led by wizards somehow rofl-stomping the Alliance's armies on the field.
Hm. Well, on the one hoof, I'd been thinking that they weren't too keen on it either and that horses don't have much magic to begin with. On the other, I suppose that there might be some isolated monasteries that quietly violate the rules.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:03 pm

By horses, you mean equine of the "saddle arabian" sort?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:11 pm

Aye.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:00 pm

I never really got the whole difference between ponies and horses in MLP culture

They're just larger and not magically gifted or something?
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:03 pm

That's what I'm thinking.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:06 pm

No pegasus or unicorns either, I'm guessing?

Was Saddle Arabia even affected by the war?

Or were some Balefire/Megaspell missiles accidentally deflected to it and caused chaos?
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:20 pm

The answer to your question is on the previous page, in the blurb Hinds posted inside spoiler tags.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Aah...that works
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:30 pm

Eh? When did I mention Saddle Arabia?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:36 pm

You didn't.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:54 pm

Was it another question I was answering, then?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:57 pm

I don't even know.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:13 pm

Doesn't matter, Germaneigh...

Would we call the residents Germanes?
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:14 pm

Probably, yes.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:24 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:Doesn't matter, Germaneigh...

Would we call the residents Germanes?
...You didn't actually read my post, did you?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:34 pm

Okay, another new country!
Saddle Arabia:
Also, here's a look at the current alpha version of the world map:
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:28 pm

Might wanna add a compass somewhere so we know which way is which

Because the southern kingdom looks more like the Eastern Kingdom
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:Might wanna add a compass somewhere so we know which way is which

Because the southern kingdom looks more like the Eastern Kingdom
Oh, north is up, sorry. That is pretty much the near-universal standard for world maps these days, right? I'm looking at some one a google image search, and they don't include compass roses…

Anyway, you may notice that Hell abuts Saddle Arabia. The plan is to use Hell to eventually open up trade and to act as a military deterrent. I had thought of a much more detailed and elegant way of explaining that last night after I'd already shut my computer down, but I was more awake then.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:49 pm

You should write it down and type it out later

that's usually what I do with my ideas

I'm rather impressed the Arabians were able to destroy the Trottoman Empire
(Sun is overpowered)
just goes to show you good things come in small packages
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:00 pm

The Southern Kingdom:
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:06 pm

The polities outside of the Equestrian Peninsula seems a bit too big / too "unified", when compared to Equestria and the PR (the latter already seeming REALLY big in my eye)..

Like the writer / map drawer starred at the map and thought: "man that's a lot of empty land... I know, let's put a flag on it!".

Not criticizing, I know it's hard to come up with stuff. But maybe we'd want to have more diversity in term of polities, so we'd need to put more countries over the same overall area. I Mean, look at a political map of Earth: By comparison, most countries would be the size of Brazil/Canada, and there'd be less than 15 countries in the world. And we're only a single species sharing the same world. This by comparison is a world where a large proportion of the living animal species are sentient. So unless Harmony is a really big thing on Equus, it would reasonable to imagine it to be even less unified than Earth is.

One suggestion for a polity: a confederacy of nomadic steppe tribes. Inspiration: the mongols. Possible emplacement: south of the Trottoman Empire.

Last edited by Harmony Ltd. on Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:08 pm

I'd say save it for another series

I think Fallout Equestria is about as complete as its going to get
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:20 pm

So apparently, after discussing with Hinds, it seems that Trottingham was firmly under control of the Applejack Rangers around the time of the Day of Sunshine and Rainbows.

So unless they subsequently lost it (which may be possible for all we don't know, as we're masters of its destiny at this point), given the Applejack Rangers went on to become with Gawd's Talon Mercenaries the heart of the NCR Armed Forces, it is very likely that nowaday Trottingham would actually be a full-fledged state of the NCR.

Which is mightily interesting, for the following reasons (not in any particular order):

- More people / infrastructure / land for the NCR
- A reason for the NCR to actually build and maintain a somewhat capable navy (as I suspect most trade is going to go through the coast from Manehatten).
- More reasons for the Northern League to feel threatened by the NCR, as this would put them really close to Stockhast. Though on the other hand by having possessions in the North since its foundation, the NCR may not be seen as such a stranger, and more like a particularly obnoxiously meddling neighbour.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:39 pm

Harmony wrote:The polities outside of the Equestrian Peninsula seems a bit too big / too "unified", when compared to Equestria and the PR (the latter already seeming REALLY big in my eye)..

Like the writer / map drawer starred at the map and thought: "man that's a lot of empty land... I know, let's put a flag on it!".

Not criticizing, I know it's hard to come up with stuff. But maybe we'd want to have more diversity in term of polities, so we'd need to put more countries over the same overall area. I Mean, look at a political map of Earth: By comparison, most countries would be the size of Brazil/Canada, and there'd be less than 15 countries in the world. And we're only a single species sharing the same world. This by comparison is a world where a large proportion of the living animal species are sentient. So unless Harmony is a really big thing on Equus, it would reasonable to imagine it to be even less unified than Earth is.
Yeah.  Sigh.  I mean, I made Germaney a region rather than a state (most of the time), but there's still a fair bit of obvious space filling empire going on.  Sorry.

Harmony wrote:One suggestion for a polity: a confederacy of nomadic steppe tribes. Inspiration: the mongols. Possible emplacement: south of the Trottoman Empire.
Sounds neat.

Vinylshadow wrote:I'd say save it for another series

I think Fallout Equestria is about as complete as its going to get
?

Harmony wrote:Okay, so we'll retcon Trottingham as part of the NCR. We'll have to work out how this might change things, though.
Harmony wrote:So apparently, after discussing with Hinds, it seems that Trottingham was firmly under control of the Applejack Rangers around the time of the Day of Sunshine and Rainbows.
Well, possibly not right on the day, but soon after.  Sorry.  I would have told you, but, when I remembered at all, I assumed you knew.

This might also be affected by PH, but I don't think it very likely.

Harmony wrote:So unless they subsequently lost it (which may be possible for all we don't know, as we're masters of its destiny at this point), given the Applejack Rangers went on to become with Gawd's Talon Mercenaries the heart of the NCR Armed Forces, it is very likely that nowaday Trottingham would actually be a full-fledged state of the NCR.

Which is mightily interesting, for the following reasons (not in any particular order):

- More people / infrastructure / land for the NCR
- A reason for the NCR to actually build and maintain a somewhat capable navy (as I suspect most trade is going to go through the coast from Manehatten).
- More reasons for the Northern League to feel threatened by the NCR, as this would put them really close to Stockhast. Though on the other hand by having possessions in the North since its foundation, the NCR may not be seen as such a stranger, and more like a particularly obnoxiously meddling neighbour.
While sitting in class, I had the idea that maybe Trottingham is the NCR's major military training base and a state mostly dominated by the Applejack's Ranger portion of the military.  It sounds like it was pretty firmly under their control already.
Somber wrote:“Eh… it’s not something most folks would know.  Most folks know the Rangers for being great soddin’ gits taking whatever tech they trot across and having bloody great sticks up their arses.  Fact is, there’s more than a few of us who think these guns aren’t just for show and that we should use ‘em like Applejack intended… to protect folks.”  She snorted.  “It’s the way things are in Trottingham, mostly; without us, the beasties would have eaten everypony a long time ago.  Nearly all of the other groups are mixed or devoted to the ‘traditional’ outlook, though.  Except now, the waste recycler’s finally burst, because Steelhooves is finally facing down Cottage Cheese.  Soon as we heard it, we painted our colors.  Probably get my head blown off, but they can pike Luna’s horn up their arses if they don’t like it.”
So, yeah, hm, the founders of the Northern League might be very familiar with that aspect.
Where's the thing I wrote on this…
Ah, here are several, including on from the old thread:
O. Hinds wrote:Idea proposal:
To make a long story short, the griffin who would come to be known as Erika the Red was born with scarlet feathers and undeveloped wings.  While still young, she was cast out of her family and found herself alone near the ruins of Stockhast.  She located the least intestines-as-bunting crazy raider band in the area, defeated their current leader, took over, and in the following decades proceeded to forge them into a maritime warrior culture and to absorb, annihilate, or enthrall every other raider group in the area.  By Day of Sunshine and Rainbows, the Stockings, as they'd come to be known, controlled what was left of Stockhast and collected tribute from all the waterways from Fancee to Hoofington and upriver past St. Paulomino.  They weren't exactly liked, but, on the other hoof, as long as you paid them to go away, they wouldn't bother you and would keep out seafaring competition besides.  They also acted as traders in the area, and the situation, while not exactly ideal, was stable and relatively prosperous.

Now, thirty years on, Erika is in her late eighties and, while fit for her age, not expected to last too terribly much longer, and she has no clear successor.  Unless she names one, and possibly not even then, when she dies, the most powerful remaining Stockings (really not sure about that name, but it's the best that I can think of) will all attempting to take power over all.  This could either work through the semi-democratic (based on popular support) system that Erika put in, work through violence (causing losses and increasing internal divisions), or result in the Stockings splintering into two or more groups.  Meanwhile, the thralls are wanting freedom, the tribute-payers are trying to find ways to get away with saying "no" (inspired by the successful Applejack's Rangers-backed refusal in Trottingham), and the NCR flexes its muscles to the south and just a bit further up the river.

Just a simple little thing that I knocked together just now.
Harmony wrote:The way I was thinking about it, the "League" would be the Viking equivalent ruling Stockhast (the Stockings), and because they're the most powerful actors in the region (or at least the most expansive), they kind of took the lead of the alliance of interest going on up there to resist the NCR's attempts colonizing the region.
So, let's see.  The first bit about the Stockings was written quite a fair bit ago, and I don't think that I ever really updated the details to include the Northern League.  If we go with that, though, then the Trottingham Rangers, while familiar, might not be friendly.  The Northern League would also be a power with legalized slavery if it hasn't abolished the thrall system, and that's unlikely to go over well with the NCR; by the same token, there might be resistance within the League to changing the system.  And possibly an abolitionist movement facing off against said resistance.  Or two, one independent and one NCR-sympathetic.  Or three, if Hoofington is in a position to get involved.
We seem to be looking at a fair amount of tension within the League.

Haromny wrote:Subjective to which point? How actually good/bad is quality of life in Masozi? Feel free to answer that one in the thread.
We've already covered life in the Miliozi, I believe; based on that and the context (most of which isn't displayed here), I'll assumed that you're asking about life for non-Miliozi under Miliozi rule.  Well, firstly, that's not in Masozi; the only permanent residents there are Miliozi and diplomats.  The Miliozi do hold some land in Zebrica, but of course probably their most prominent holdings for our purposes here are those on the Peninsula outside Masozi's security zone.  Life for non-Miliozi there isn't brutal, certainly not like Red Eye's Fillydelphia, and people are free to leave (with very little hassle, too, particularly if they're moving within the Alliance; the Miliozi want to use the land themselves, and the Alliance wants more colonists in Zebrica).  If they stay, though, they'll have to face the fact that the Miliozi are justifiably not known for being warm and fuzzy.  If you live under their rule, you are expected to maintain discipline and practical austerity over wasteful luxury (though not to Miliozi standards).  The justice system is, while not corrupt, harsh, and, naturally, non-Miliozi participation in government is limited to requests and suggestions at most.  Hm.  I think that that broadly covers it; sorry if I missed something.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:08 am

The question was: to what point are conditions of life "austere"?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:11 am

Austere

(of living conditions or a way of life) having no comforts or luxuries; harsh or ascetic

So....living in the Wasteland, basically
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:55 am

Austere living conditions is the 50's USSR.

The wasteland is living in somalia turned up to eleven.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:57 am

And here I thought it couldn't get any worse
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 24 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 24  Next