Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+23
Downloaded Skill
Kattlarv
Valikdu
Scyto Harmony
Aonee
StoneSlinger88
Harmony Ltd.
Ironmonger
tylertoon2
Kippershy
Meleagridis
RoboRed
Katarn
Ketchup
O. Hinds
Scienza
Frost
Stringtheory
Tytan
CamoBadger
Moodyman90
cb5
27 posters

Page 16 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24 ... 32  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Tytan Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:09 pm

I seriously thought egoraptor was to busy with game grumps to animate.:

someone likes xcom right?:
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Guest Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:10 pm

Tytan wrote:
I seriously thought egoraptor was to busy with game grumps to animate.:

Last I remember they only record GG one day a week then they hand everything off to Barry for editing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Math help time! How would I factor the following equations: -2xe^-2x[3f(x)+2f'(x)] and e^-2x[3f'(x)+2f''(x)]
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:05 pm

So apparently some dude figured out why the new youtube changes are screwing everyone over.  Apparently the content ID system is automated to the point that if you're a company you don't need to actually own the rights to something for the system to claim you have the rights to something.  Even if you are EA showing your own trailer for a video game another company can claim the rights to your video even though they don't own the rights to it.
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 Ea8
Just another shinning example of why automating things that shouldn't be automated is a bad idea.  The idea wasn't bad, but the reason why it's hitting everyone is that how it inputs who owns the rights to what is stupid and it never occurred to google that computers are stupid in that they don't have higher reasoning abilities.

Tl:dr; Youtube made their new program without ever checking to make sure it actually worked or any sort of beta testing.

Last edited by cb5 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Yeah, apparently there's been a rash of companies just spawning to claim content on youtube, diverting the revenue from the ads to them, and even if it last only a week, they'll make bank.

Least that's what I've heard. Hell, entire sections of Let's Plays have been taken down cause some magazine or news company out in Europe had an interview with David Cage and had part of Beyond: Two Souls showed in the video and that less than a minute clip of game footage somehow allowed them to claim all game content.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:Yeah, apparently there's been a rash of companies just spawning to claim content on youtube, diverting the revenue from the ads to them, and even if it last only a week, they'll make bank.

Least that's what I've heard. Hell, entire sections of Let's Plays have been taken down cause some magazine or news company out in Europe had an interview with David Cage and had part of Beyond: Two Souls showed in the video and that less than a minute clip of game footage somehow allowed them to claim all game content.

Well good. That means the system is being exploited if it's in a way that google is held legally responsible for they'll have to fix it.

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:Yeah, apparently there's been a rash of companies just spawning to claim content on youtube, diverting the revenue from the ads to them, and even if it last only a week, they'll make bank.

It's not just let's plays; it's flagging the actual companies that own the games.  The reason why game developers are on the users side this time is that their new system says that they the actual developers do not own the rights to their own video games and that they have to take down the videos or void their rights to their games. . . No I didn't skip anything and you heard me right.  Youtube's new content ID system is saying that companies like EA do not own the rights to call of duty, but that if they don't take down their videos about call of duty they'll lose all their rights to call of duty.

Try wrapping your head around that one.
Last wrote:Well good. That means the system is being exploited if it's in a way that google is held legally responsible for they'll have to fix it.
It's probably going to be undone sooner rather than later, cause if this doesn't get undone chances are google is going to find themselves in court for a metric fuckton of money for unlawfully for ironically copyright infringement in that it's illegal for a company that doesn't own the rights to something to claim the rights to it.

Last edited by cb5 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Granted my source is the Super Best Friends podcast, but since they're on Youtube, connected to Machinima, and they're the ones who had episode three of the Beyond Let's Play taken down due to the other interview, I think they're up to date and in the know about all this.

And there will always be people who are quick to exploit things like this.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:Granted my source is the Super Best Friends podcast, but since they're on Youtube, connected to Machinima, and they're the ones who had episode three of the Beyond Let's Play taken down due to the other interview, I think they're up to date and in the know about all this.

And there will always be people who are quick to exploit things like this.
I give it less than three months until youtube changes it.  If they keep threatening companies about their own content that they own saying they void their rights to their content they're going to find themselves in court pretty damn fast.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:07 am

Ideeeaaa! Rarity 

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:18 am

stringtheory wrote:Math help time! How would I factor the following equations: -2xe^-2x[3f(x)+2f'(x)] and e^-2x[3f'(x)+2f''(x)]
What do you mean?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:38 am

From what I've heard, it's because they recently discovered that if they refuse to file claims against content being put up on youtube, it actually has a chance of making any future claims void because of previously allowing content to be shared freely.
So, if they say yes to it being on youtube, they give the inadvertent OK for it to be used everywhere.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:44 am

tia hates rains:
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:45 am

CamoBadger wrote:

From what I've heard, it's because they recently discovered that if they refuse to file claims against content being put up on youtube, it actually has a chance of making any future claims void because of previously allowing content to be shared freely.
So, if they say yes to it being on youtube, they give the inadvertent OK for it to be used everywhere.
As this point copyright has their heads so far up their ass it's a one person human centipede.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:47 am

CamoBadger wrote:

I'm not going to pretend to know copyright law but that's the same reason hasbro gave for Fighting Is Magic. And well the thing is I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't actually true it would be easy for a company to hire a "lawyer" to say that to try and avoid any negative publicity. Thing is I don't know they figuratively could be pissing on your leg and telling you it's raining and you wouldn't know any different and neither would I.

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:50 am

Music and video is fitting.

@Copyright

Sad things, even if person did review of game/movie and used trailer video (which was freely shared by publisher/creator of game/movie) will get strike and/or won't get money for reviewing said material. Even if 'copyright material' was used in 10 seconds of 30 minutes clip, copyright owner will get all income from clip.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:01 am

Man, today has been a really, really great day. Just wanted to say that. Hope you guys have been having great days, too. :) (despite burgeoning understanding of the messed-up situations our messed-up copyright laws lead to)

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:03 am

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:Man, today has been a really, really great day. Just wanted to say that. Hope you guys have been having great days, too. :) (despite burgeoning understanding of the messed-up situations our messed-up copyright laws lead to)
I've just been having a boring day myself.  Mostly been listening to IOSYS to pass the time.  I have nothing to do until friday and it's driving me buggy.

Finally figured out a avatar to finally pick.

Edit I think I'm officially bored considering this I've found that weird part of youtube again:
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:30 am

@Our days

Ever since I got my laptop, I've been mostly RPing with a friend and compiling a large and ever-expanding GDocs library, both for the sake of helping my writing. Today I decided to say "fuck it" and took a break for once, just meandering about the web and blowing off steam until I can get my mental processes back in order.

Speaking of blowing of steam, and computers, I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm not allowed to use games on my laptop because my mom is afraid that "it will destroy it". Can anyone here back up or disprove that statement? I just told her that, as far as I know, it will be fine as long as I don't try to run something that it clearly can't handle. I trust you guys more than some random username I find via google search.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:37 am

Ironmonger wrote:@Our days

Ever since I got my laptop, I've been mostly RPing with a friend and compiling a large and ever-expanding GDocs library, both for the sake of helping my writing. Today I decided to say "fuck it" and took a break for once, just meandering about the web and blowing off steam until I can get my mental processes back in order.

Speaking of blowing of steam, and computers, I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm not allowed to use games on my laptop because my mom is afraid that "it will destroy it". Can anyone here back up or disprove that statement? I just told her that, as far as I know, it will be fine as long as I don't try to run something that it clearly can't handle. I trust you guys more than some random username I find via google search.
Aren't you a adult though?
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:40 am

cb5 wrote:
Aren't you a adult though?
Yep, but she'll take it away. Long story short, I put up with a LOT of crap just to keep from being thrown out of the house because of her irrationality.  How 

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:48 am

The worst a game can do to a laptop is overheat it. Get CoreTemp or something that reads your CPU's temperature. Laptops generally run hotter, but if you're under 80C continuously you should be in the clear, and the CPU will shut itself down if it gets too hot. Lowering resolution or AA is an easy prevention for heating issues if you can stand the lower quality. Elevating the back end of the laptop to allow better circulation can help too. What are your specs?

At any rate, a game will not destroy a laptop. Overheating can be a problem, but the CPU will shut itself down if it gets over 95C-- if you get above 85C, set everything to Low and play again. If it's still that high, then don't play.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:56 am

StoneSlinger88 wrote:The worst a game can do to a laptop is overheat it. Get CoreTemp or something that reads your CPU's temperature. Laptops generally run hotter, but if you're under 80C continuously you should be in the clear, and the CPU will shut itself down if it gets too hot. Lowering resolution or AA is the easiest fix to heating issues if you can stand the lower quality. Elevating the back end of the laptop to allow better circulation can help too. What are your specs?

Processor: AMD-A6 4400 with Radeon HD Graphics 2.7 GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Graphics: Radeon HD 7520

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:02 am

RoboRed wrote:
murica:

I was wondering why they closed that stretch of 99
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:03 am

Ironmonger wrote:
StoneSlinger88 wrote:The worst a game can do to a laptop is overheat it. Get CoreTemp or something that reads your CPU's temperature. Laptops generally run hotter, but if you're under 80C continuously you should be in the clear, and the CPU will shut itself down if it gets too hot. Lowering resolution or AA is the easiest fix to heating issues if you can stand the lower quality. Elevating the back end of the laptop to allow better circulation can help too. What are your specs?

What type of games were you looking at?
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:08 am

StoneSlinger88 wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:

What type of games were you looking at?

Fallout: New Vegas, Minecraft, Fallout 1/2/Tactics, League of Legends.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:11 am

those shouldn't run your laptop too hot as long as you don't run high rez graphics
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:12 am

You should be good. Hell, this fucking thing:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 330149_337019676328846_220643781_o
From 2005 can run all but Fallout New Vegas on your list, which yours should be able to run at least on medium. So I'd say you're set, and keep an eye on temperatures until you know you're safe.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:14 am

StoneSlinger88 wrote:You should be good. Hell, this fucking thing:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 330149_337019676328846_220643781_o
From 2005 can run all but Fallout New Vegas from your list, which yours should be able to run at medium to high, if not highest.

amen, my own laptop can run all but VEgas
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:21 am

Thanks for your help guys, but it didn't have much of an effect. Here's how things went after I told her what you guys told me, and why I trust you all.

Her: "I don't believe it."

Me: "Well, there's your problem. Just because you don't believe something doesn't make it false."

Her: *indignant tone* "Jared...Stop arguing with me."

Every one of my brain cells: *facedesk*

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24 ... 32  Next