Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+24
StoneSlinger88
O. Hinds
Derpmind
OneMoreDaySK
Meleagridis
Stringtheory
Downloaded Skill
Scienza
Kippershy
brony all alone
Admiral Stoic Rum
Kattlarv
cb5
Scyto Harmony
Moodyman90
RoboRed
Aonee
Valikdu
Tytan
CamoBadger
Ironmonger
Katarn
Penby
28 posters

Page 24 of 31 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 27 ... 31  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:07 pm

I don't quite get the attack on Titan thing. I watched the first action scene and it was just the high speed jumping around with swords that's very par for the course when it comes to anime. I mean they have grappling hooks but it's still just high speed jumping. Is there something I'm missing because I didn't see any of the story?

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Tytan Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Last wrote:I don't quite get the attack on Titan thing. I watched the first action scene and it was just the high speed jumping around with swords that's very par for the course when it comes to anime. I mean they have grappling hooks but it's still just high speed jumping. Is there something I'm missing because I didn't see any of the story?
Sometimes you just need grappling hooks, high speed sword fighting, and ridiculous amounts of gore.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Tytan wrote:
Last wrote:I don't quite get the attack on Titan thing. I watched the first action scene and it was just the high speed jumping around with swords that's very par for the course when it comes to anime. I mean they have grappling hooks but it's still just high speed jumping. Is there something I'm missing because I didn't see any of the story?
Sometimes you just need grappling hooks, high speed sword fighting, and ridiculous amounts of gore.
And strippers. Lots of them.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:19 pm

AoT is getting the attention as it is because for pushing the limit of what generally accepted for shojo. Least thats what I've heard.  It in the same group as DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece as far as target viewers but its trying not to be like them. I'll try to explain better when I'm not on my phone.

Unrelated to that, to those who think they can make it to game night, L4D2 or the Ship?
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:24 pm

Penby wrote:While we'er vaguely on the topic on AoT, I would just like to say I finally finished a level of that ridiculously hard game.

I also something i'm working on:
Eveyone's favorite Lesbian:
What game are you speaking of?

Also, nice Ymir.
Aside from... well, the story and the characters. The best parts.
Moodyman90 wrote:AoT is getting the attention as it is because for pushing the limit of what generally accepted for shojo. Least thats what I've heard.  It in the same group as DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece as far as target viewers but its trying not to be like them. I'll try to explain better when I'm not on my phone.
It's actually shounen, not shojo, but that's basically it. Frost called it a sort of deconstruction.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:32 pm

@Ketchup After seeing the type of action AOT had to offer I made the assumption there was nothing much in the way of story.

Back to top Go down

Post by Penby Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Ketchup wrote:
Penby wrote:While we'er vaguely on the topic on AoT, I would just like to say I finally finished a level of that ridiculously hard game.

I also something i'm working on:
Eveyone's favorite Lesbian:
What game are you speaking of?

Also, nice Ymir.
Thank you.

And this one, its fan made. A little clunky, but its getting some future updates.
http://fenglee.com/game/aog/
Penby
Penby
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 44

http://penby.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:37 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:AoT is getting the attention as it is because for pushing the limit of what generally accepted for shojo. Least thats what I've heard.  It in the same group as DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece as far as target viewers but its trying not to be like them. I'll try to explain better when I'm not on my phone.

Unrelated to that, to those who think they can make it to game night, L4D2 or the Ship?
>shojo
>DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece

Son, I think you got confused somewhere.

First, the genre you're thinking about is Shonen, not Shojo. Shojo is "adolescent girl" manga.

Then, the genre of Attack on Titan is actually Seinen, and not Shonen, as it is aimed at a more mature audience (over 18-20 years old). Shonen is for the "adolescent male" audience. Seinen is "young adult male"
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Scyto Harmony Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:45 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:Unrelated to that, to those who think they can make it to game night, L4D2 or the Ship?
Man, people don't like to answer you, do they? I'll probably be there.
Scyto Harmony
Scyto Harmony
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 155

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:48 pm

Scyto Harmony wrote:
Moodyman90 wrote:Unrelated to that, to those who think they can make it to game night, L4D2 or the Ship?
And when they do they don't answer the question asked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:50 pm

I knew shojo didn't look right, but once again, on my phone so I couldn't look it up to correctly myself. Thanks for that.

But yeah AoT is just like every other anime out there, but there's something about the way the characters, setting, and story is handled that makes it different enough to garner the hype it has. Something that makes you wonder if it should be considered shounen, yet still fits.

With any hope it'll help spawn other stories that'll shake up the status quo of what shounen is. But whats probably gonna happen is a bunch of copy cats will spawn and the whole thing will be absorbed and with any luck will be "the new standard." I quit if AoT gets to the point of a Titan Tournament.

Ketchup already corrected me Harmony, all I can do is ask to be forgiven for getting them all mixed up. Also, it's not Seinen, it's Shonen. If it was a Seinen, than why the creator first try to get it published in Shonen Jump? And when Jump refused to publish it unless changes where made to make it more like other Shonen and the creator refused, he was able to get it published by a different Shonen magazine.
It could very well be a Seinen, but it's not. It's listed as a Shonen everywhere I check.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scyto Harmony Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:53 pm

Last wrote:
Scyto Harmony wrote:
And when they do they don't answer the question asked.
I answered in the other thread, I was just re-iterating.
Scyto Harmony
Scyto Harmony
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 155

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Penby wrote:And this one, its fan made. A little clunky, but its getting some future updates.
http://fenglee.com/game/aog/
Thought you were talking about that one. Very quirky, but I find it fun to play once and a while and it is quite unique.
Moodyman90 wrote:I knew shojo didn't look right, but once again, on my phone so I couldn't look it up to correctly myself. Thanks for that.

But yeah AoT is just like every other anime out there, but there's something about the way the characters, setting, and story is handled that makes it different enough to garner the hype it has. Something that makes you wonder if it should be considered shounen, yet still fits.

With any hope it'll help spawn other stories that'll shake up the status quo of what shounen is. But whats probably gonna happen is a bunch of copy cats will spawn and the whole thing will be absorbed and with any luck will be "the new standard." I quit if AoT gets to the point of a Titan Tournament.

Ketchup already corrected me Harmony, all I can do is ask to be forgiven for getting them all mixed up. Also, it's not Seinen, it's Shonen. If it was a Seinen, than why the creator first try to get it published in Shonen Jump? And when Jump refused to publish it unless changes where made to make it more like other Shonen and the creator refused, he was able to get it published by a different Shonen magazine.
It could very well be a Seinen, but it's not. It's listed as a Shonen everywhere I check.
The manga it is quite faithfully based on seems even more bleak than the anime, I expect it to remain sober for the remainder of its story. It has a definite end, I think the manga is either half- or one-third done, don't remember exactly.

Shounen and Seinen mix in demographic anyway, from what I understand.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:15 pm

camolulz:
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:15 pm

Last wrote:I get that PH will never be canon. That's not me being mean it's just that Kkat said that even if they wrote another story in the universe it probably would not be canon.(Kkat said this in an interview, I don't have the source.) But quite a few people accept it as canon. So I think a few being upset about this is expected. The PH team will just have to accept it no matter how well and respectfully (again I haven't read it so I'm hopeful it's done that way.) it's done some people are going to be upset.
Everyone should have seen this coming though. It's no big deal. It's only a big deal if someone makes it a big deal. The problem that a lot of people have is that they automatically assumed "kkat approved (tm)" meant canon. The other problem is that this has outright destroyed any headcanon or fan canon anyone has. No one's fanfics unless stated by kkat as canon will be canon, and that has really pissed some people off.

Basically what I'm getting at is people really shouldn't get upset about this cause we all saw it coming. If you are part of the PH team then it's okay breath in, breath out. FoE when you think about it is a non-canon fanfic to get upset about something being even less canon is pointless.

The FoE community is learning the hard way other the hard lesson other fanfic communities learned as soon as the fandom was created.

Just breath in, breath out. The FoE community is one of the few subniches of the fandom that hasn't had to deal with this yet.

Shippers had to deal with RD being canonically NOT a lesbian during season 1. Discord no longer being a villain really smashed a lot of fanon. Twilight REALLY destroyed a ton of fanon.

It's okay for something to not be canon, it's okay for headcanon to be no longer canon. No matter what just go on about your business cause the more and more you get upset about something no longer being canon the less and less fun you have.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:24 pm

Adorableness: http://ulyanovetz.deviantart.com/art/Little-adventurers-410467750
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:36 pm

cb5 wrote:*Snip*
Once again Cb I have no idea what you're talking about or what you're trying to get across.

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Last wrote:
Once again Cb I have no idea what you're talking about or trying to get across.
Basically just cause kkat says PH isn't canon to fallout equestria doesn't mean anything.  It's fanfiction.  Fanfiction by default was never canon to the franchise it's based off of.  Project horizons, fallout equestria and every last fanfic set in the FoE universe was never canon to begin with and it doesn't matter.

Just cause kkat says project horizons isn't canon to fallout equestria is that going to stop anyone from reading it?  To go further down this analogy just cause a fanfic has Rainbow Dash as a lesbian, even though she canonically not a lesbian, stop anyone from shipping her with another female character?  Just cause Discord is no longer a villain does that stop anyone from having him as a villain in their fanfics?  Just cause a fanfic was written before twilight became a princess does that stop people from continuing their story?  Just cause Twilight traveled to the "human" world(what sort of human world has purple people anyhow?) does that stop people from writing a HiE or a pony on earth fanfic?

Whenever headcanon is no longer canon to what it's based off of I just go:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 3ad

Tl:dr; Canon has never stopped anyone, and just cause something isn't considered canon anymore stops people from enjoying it.

Tl:dr; of Tl:dr; So what if it isn't canon? and?
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Just finished watching Tucker and Dale vs Evil. That was pretty damned funny. An excellent parody of slasher films.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:13 pm

Incentive to play Dwarf Fortress using my mod:

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 Lol

And even more incentive:

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 Oooohnasty

Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:23 pm

Valikdu wrote:Incentive to play Dwarf Fortress using my mod:

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 Lol

And even more incentive:

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 Oooohnasty
Smexy...

Last edited by stringtheory on Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:25 pm

@ Cb5: Ohhh. Im going to be honest I only read the tl;dr version and based on that you clearly did not understand why I mentioned that PH wasnt canon to FO:E.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:28 pm

@Canon
I have learned that my Gothic fiction professor had her own headcanon for how a book whose name I can't recall ended. She had rewritten it in her own head to end better than how it had actually ended, and was appalled when a TV adaptation of it ended the way the book actually ended, because she thought they had changed it (for the worse) since she honestly thought her headcanon was the actual story. =P Anyway, you know I'm relaxed about authenticity and canon in stories; Dash's fate remaining up in the air one way or another was a good move in the original, but there's no reason for it to be a sacred mystery in offshoots.

@Last
Won't be able to play tonight, I've an essay to finish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:36 pm

I agree with you OAC but the problem with it happening in PH is that quite a few people accept it as canon. Again I don't really have any problem with RD being used in PH well unless somber decides she's madly in love with one of his characters and that's just because it comes off as fan wanky. Sorry that's off topic but what I'm getting at is because so many people accept PH as part of the canon no one else can write a story about RD.

The discussion is over, the mystery unveiled. Unless somber decides she flies off or is trapped in some sort of explosion and no one finds her body or something else like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:54 pm

I know you guys are getting sick of hearing it and I think I got my point across. But I see the FO:E universe as a sandbox RD's fate was a toy in it. Everyone's played with it a little and thought about the things could do with it, but ultimately they put it back where they found it.

In some people's minds Somber has picked up the toy and took it home. Now personally I don't care I was never gonna play with it and I had no ideas on what to do with it. But I see why some others are upset.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:56 pm

swicked wrote:Yo Harmony, do you still read PH? If so, could you help me with a piece of writing I'm trying to do? I asked for help in the PH topic but there were no takers.
Still read it, and finally up to date with the latest chapter as of yesterday. I'm open to helping you, just send whatever it is by PM, and I'll see what I can come up with as far as criticism is concerned.

Just know that I have only two days before me, before I need to go back into the shadows. So the quicker the better.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:05 pm

RE RD's fate in PH : I'll just reiterate for the Xth time what I said before quite a number of times : "whoever cares about canon anyway ?"

If someone writes an FoE side-story and consider PH "canon" to their story, what exactly stops them from ignoring the parts they don't like in the source material (here, FoE and PH) when it comes to writing their own story ?

I mean, in the headcanon thread we've been elaborating quite a bit on a number of stuff, and there's a lot of stuff that's canon in both FoE and PH, our two biggest inspiration, that we've happily chosen to ignore or completely "re-write" : among others, the 10 years after epilogue from FoE, some aspects of PH's interpretation of the pre-apocalypse Zebra society, the geography of the world, and that's just a few examples.

And one of the major participants in that thread is one of the editors of PH.

If we can ignore the parts of "canon" we don't like, what stops other people from doing the same ?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:15 pm

@Last
Nothing is canon, everything is permitted. =P I get what you're saying, though. Still, if they want to accept PH in its entirety as canon and then write a fanfic of it, they were always going to have to deal with the same problems that writers of FOE-fanfiction had when writing stories while it was ongoing. Not to mention all the stuff happening in the show itself, of course. Selective canonization of parts of stories is a long and storied tradition; no need to stop it now. People who wanted FOE to be a massive shared universe are apt to be disappointed, but they honestly brought that on themselves. Unrealistic expectations and all that.

Don't think the toy analogy works unless you're viewing the universe of FOE as a shared one, incidentally. The RD's still there to poke at, completely untouched by anything Somber did unless you decide that PH is going to happen for your story - at which point the question is, why are you having PH be canon for your story if you want to use the same elements it used differently? Use smart worldbuilding practices; and if you really want PH elements to pop up, you can always just allude to them, or have them show up as expy-style references. When you take on the mantle of storywriter, mythmaker, worldbuilder, you are in total control. The only rules are those you decide to follow, and I guess technically the limits of your mind. Maybe the limits of your hard drive. Practical concerns notwithstanding, anyway, if you're a god and you make a flawed creation, you can't blame anyone but yourself for when it goes off and listens to a snake and eats a symbolic apple. Um. This analogy is getting out of hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:If we can ignore the parts of "canon" we don't like, what stops other people from doing the same ?
Ding ding ding
*balloons fall from ceiling and marching band comes onto stage
We have a winner. Harmony, now that you've achieved enlightenment what are you going to do now?
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Well because Somber owns RD's fate now. As an example not long ago I saw a picture posted in the PH fan art thread it was not of BJ the artist had drawn a white unicorn mare with a black and red mane. The artist was flooded with comments about BJ despite the artist not knowing who that was. Somber owns white unicorn mares with red and black manes.

So if you're suggesting that an another author writing about RD would be left alone then I'd have to disagree.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 31 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 27 ... 31  Next