Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+47
Third Wind
Scienza
Admiral Stoic Rum
Tytan
Necr0maNceR
cb5
Karasu
Exodus Hero
Aonee
Revan Seiei
FoolNeim
Plasticube
Technowolf
Mister Nikel
TalixZero
Vixie
WovenTales
FeatherDust
Ketchup
Sparklecake
Kaidon
Luminous Lead
Frost
thatguyvex
hawkeye92
Kippershy
StoneSlinger88
Somber
Downloaded Skill
Valikdu
Katarn
WavemasterRyx
RoboRed
Vergil
Harmony Ltd.
Derpmind
ARoundCorner
Caoimhe
Meleagridis
tylertoon2
SilentCarto
HillBilly-Drew
Evilgidgit
O. Hinds
Moodyman90
Icy Shake
CD
51 posters

Page 24 of 29 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 24 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Moodyman90 Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Could be that MDW isn't an Enclave only thing. Maybe more widespread since they're more civilized and more prone to regular crimes, or the ones on the ground aren't as well known.

Would be interesting to find out if a few MDWs were Dashites though. I mean, obviously there's been more than one over the centuries, and more than one at any point in time.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 24 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:37 pm

@Icy Shake re Lucent:
Ah, thanks.

WavemasterRyx wrote:And Hinds... keep being striped.
Hah! Well, I'm not terribly worried about them washing off...
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:00 pm

My thoughts on this particular chapter:

Go on...
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Well, shoot. I forgot to write down stuff while reading this time around. Guess I'll have to work on reading.

But I'd like to start by saying "wow". I'm loving the world building here. You weren't kidding when you said they'd officially left the wasteland. This world of the Enclave? Amazing.

And one great thing about them leaving the wasteland into a new area: you get a whole lot of leeway to write what you want. You've got stuff not touched by regular FoE canon that you can shape. And boy, have you shaped it. I'm probably gonna reread this chapter a few times when I find the time to get the architecture and such clearly stuck in my mind.

Spoiler:

I expect a lot of action in these next chapters. That ending demands it.

On another note, I keep needing to remind myself that it's sunny and daytime in Thunderhead. Dunno why, but I keep picturing the sky as dark and foreboding.

@Icy Shake RE:Lucent: I saw what you did there, and I lol'd.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:You know, IF the Mare-Do-Well shtick is actually, like you said, a common effort between a group of ponies to steer the Enclave in a certain direction ; this raises an interesting parallel with what originally happened between Rainbow Dash and Mare-Do-Well, instead that here it could be the ponies behind MDW's answer to the Dashites.

I don't know if I make sense ?
I like this idea.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Technowolf Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:42 pm

Guys, I've got a crazy theory.  A while ago Kipper said that Somber told him that it was Boo, not Blackjack who was the Maiden of the Stars.  While this could be either (or both) of the joking, it got me thinking.  One of the lines in the zebra prophecy was that the Maiden would "be of flesh and steel" (or something like that).  What if the reason that Boo's so different than other blanks is that somepony (Dawn? Goldenblood or whoever is in Black Pony Mtn.?) put a cybernetic implant in Boo's brain, raising her intelligence or giving her some basic instincts or something like that?  It would explain why she doesn't look any different than other blanks, even to Sanguine (who was more into biological augmentation than mechanical).
Technowolf
Technowolf
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:05 pm

A red-striped zony, maybe ?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:10 pm

She's a zebra whose stripes were dyed/tattooed red.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Well, at least this chapter, she's explicitly referred to as "earth pony mare"

So she need to look the part in the eyes of ponies.

Question :

Once you get rid of the stripes, do we know what kind of anatomical differences there might be between earth ponies and zebra in FoE ? I'm referring here to things that might give clues to an external observer.

The first thing that comes to mind is that the tail look different. But apart from that, I don't know.

Edit : also, the manes I think may look kind of different, if Zecora is any indication.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:20 pm

Different skull shape, I think. My avatar doesn't actually reflect this, as I didn't at the time know that the pony creator had a zebra head function (I'm still somewhat annoyed by the inaccuracy, but, since it doesn't look too bad, I've not thought it worth changing). Zebras IRL also have stiffer manes and tails, but it's not clear to what extent this is reflected in FoE. Oh, and these are just surface things; I assume that there are differences less easy to notice.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:21 pm

I'm drawing a blank here, but don't zebras have actual hooves in the show rather than what ponies have? Thinner legs as well?
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:22 pm

swicked wrote:Question!
Is Rampage an earth pony or a red-striped zebra?
Rampage is the God of War.

So I think I'm going to try and re-read the chapter and take notes, because as usual there's way too much everything for me to summarize. Meanwhile my reverse-causality inference calculator kinda didn't find much on the first pass, though that's mostly because there's a high chance that Valve is going to announce Half-Life 3 soon.

Last edited by Derpmind on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Well, on the side of "less evident thing", there's the (fact ?) that Zebra express what innate magic they have (which if we go with your headcanon is pretty close to nothing) in a different way than Earth Ponies.

So I guess even if you had a perfectly disguised zebra infiltrator disguised as a pony, a simple magic "sniff" could be enough to detect that something is amiss, be it that their magical signature is different, or that they don't have one at all.

... And I realize this might be more suited to the headcanon thread.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:28 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:I'm drawing a blank here, but don't zebras have actual hooves in the show rather than what ponies have? Thinner legs as well?
If we go with the image of Zecora linked in my message above your own, I think this may be the case, yeah. Though to know if in the world of FoE it's a noticeable difference or if it's just a graphic design decision on the part of Studio B when they searched a way for Zecora to look different from ponies, I have no idea.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:43 pm

I didn't even remember that piece of information.

I guess that's what happen when the source material (FoE + PH) is more than 1.6 million words long :D

And man the sheer scale of that just hit me over the head like a sack of brick, thinking back about it. My hat to you Somber. That's some stamina you have there.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:07 pm

To be fair, it has been a year and a half since I read the original FoE, and I haven't re-read it since.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:20 pm

I guess you're better at remembering trivia than me, then :D
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:04 pm

swicked wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:Well, on the side of "less evident thing", there's the (fact ?) that Zebra express what innate magic they have (which if we go with your headcanon is pretty close to nothing) in a different way than Earth Ponies.

So I guess even if you had a perfectly disguised zebra infiltrator disguised as a pony, a simple magic "sniff" could be enough to detect that something is amiss, be it that their magical signature is different, or that they don't have one at all.

... And I realize this might be more suited to the headcanon thread.
Zebra are immune to mental manipulation, too. I don't know how this carries over to zonies, though.
...that or their souls are fundamentally different from that of ponies that the goddess simply can't sense them.
It was never explained in FoE, but here we have Shujaa part of an entirely different choir of souls that includes ponies, something the goddess didn't think could happen... at least insofar as integrating them into her own choir.
I don't think that it was being immune to mental manipulation in general so much as being immune to the Goddess's pony-specific mental manipulation.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:07 pm

So after a hard day's night of killing zombies, a few of us in the steam group had probably the best idea ever: Karaoke Night! We'll all make a list of songs for each other to sing, figure out a good day+time, and hop in the teamspeak server for a couple hours of epic fun.

The more suggestions for songs, the better! And don't forget to give recommendations for when would be a good time to try this.

If you don't have a microphone, don't worry. Everyone's invited, the server has a chat box, and a couple of us can actually sing.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by CD Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:40 am

After reading the whole chapter, I am impressed by the ending. It really feels like what's been missing from Horizons for a while. Having the situation fall apart all around Blackjack with no friends there to back her up against the cruelty of the wasteland. Now how is she supposed to stop the oncoming massacre? Some days you just can't get rid of a bio-bomb.
CD
CD
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:53 am

I still want Wastelander! to be an actual show. Of the whole fandom, there has got to be a few people who can animate that has to try to create the opening in the least.

On to more serious matters...

Chapter 60 Spoilers and Speculations:
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Just read the last chapter...

Wastelander!

I can't stop laughing.

Though...

Chapter 60 Spoilers:
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:58 pm

CD wrote:After reading the whole chapter, I am impressed by the ending. It really feels like what's been missing from Horizons for a while. Having the situation fall apart all around Blackjack with no friends there to back her up against the cruelty of the wasteland. Now how is she supposed to stop the oncoming massacre? Some days you just can't get rid of a bio-bomb.
Ha! Adam West Batman quote!
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:56 pm

swicked wrote:Finished the chapter!
Is there seriously only five chapters left to the story? Seems like there's too many loose ends to wrap up in that time, personally. Is there gonna be a couple epilogue stories?
And even if there aren't any, I'm sure that the rabid fanbase will quickly devolve into side stories and headcanon.

I may die if they don't.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:58 pm

20 bits we get something along the lines of "the final chapter is looking like it's going to be the final 3 chapter..."
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:20 bits we get something along the lines of "the final chapter is looking like it's going to be the final 3 chapter..."
"...It turns out that there's another villain with a complex and emotional backstory and understandable motivations that needs to be wrapped up. Also, Blackjack died again and is now 132% Boo."
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:06 pm

Nothing that complicated, just the story and action will grow like it usually does.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Downloaded Skill Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Who said there were only 5 chapters left? That is no where near enough time to tie up all the loose ends in the detail they deserve. If PH has a rushed, unsatisfying FoE ending it would be an absolute tragedy. I mean we've lost people who didn't like long stories a long time ago, why bother with brevity now?
Downloaded Skill
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Downloaded Skill wrote:Who said there were only 5 chapters left? That is no where near enough time to tie up all the loose ends in the detail they deserve. If PH has a rushed, unsatisfying FoE ending it would be an absolute tragedy. I mean we've lost people who didn't like long stories a long time ago, why bother with brevity now?
Somber mentioned at the end of the chapter that there were probably only about five chapters left, give or take an epilogue or two. It's mostly because he wants to get on with his life and do other projects (which is kinda understandable).

Still, I'll be sad to see this fic end. It's been such a constant part of my life that I'll have to find some other source of colorful pastel equine drama.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by TalixZero Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:34 pm

So I started rereading Pink Eyes and I just

This was just like that horror story where the super nice robot goes boing and starts hurting ponies!
TalixZero
TalixZero
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Somber wrote:I hope that Thunderhead will post the link be finished in 1-2 chapters, the core in 2-3, and the story in 5. Then done... hard to imagine.
Well, firstly (actually, firstly, I'm pretty sure that the "post the link" thing is a typo, but I try not to edit author's notes too much), I expect that, whatever estimate Somber gives, the actual number of chapters will be more than that. Secondly, I believe that that five is just for the stuff after the Core (the details of the stuff not being specified for reasons of spoiler prevention), putting the total estimate at 8-10 chapters.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 29 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next