Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 2 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Meleagridis on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:31 pm

The new Chapter wrote:“You and I have some unfinished business. My magic’s gotten better since I was here last. And I’m going to prove it! Me and you. A magic duel. Winner stays, loser leaves Ponyville forever!”

Finally went over to see the quote on top the next chapter. If it is any indication, there's going to be a good deal of inter-Goddess turmoil coming about soon.
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Meleagridis wrote:As far as we know. If I remember right, one of Pip's self-berating realizations afterwards was that she killed everybody but the familiar children with no regard for further information. No double-checking, no hesitation. No time for someone to even show shock, or explain that they were never a part of ritual murder.
The Arbu brand declared such quite clearly. "It’s an Arbu mark. We get it after we eat the heart of our first kill." And, as Pip discovers later, that means a pony kill. The brand is a public declaration that its wearer is a murderer.

Meleagridis wrote:Think of what Blackjack (new Blackjack) might have made of the situation. She'd try to look for the good before razing everything to the ground... I think. Truth be told, I can't actually remember how Littlepip found out about Arbu's secret.
The old, crazy stallion told her to look in the basement, where she found pony corpses in varying states of butchery, including the skull of the preacher who allegedly 'passed through' a few years back.
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Meleagridis wrote:Hey hey hey- do you think this might be Blackjack's virtue? Finding virtue in others?
I scribbled down a DJ-Pon3 speech on that subject a while back, actually...
Helloooooo, Equestria!:
It is I, the one and only DJ Pon3, your voice of reason in the wasteland!

Children, today I want to get a little philosophical. That’s right, your pal has been doing some deep thinking. Wait wait wait wait -- don’t touch that dial yet! Don't worry, folks. I’m not going all intellectual on you. Come on, this is me we’re talking about!  No, children, this is a little piece of philosophy that could save your sanity. I want to talk to you today about virtues.

You see, some ponies like to find a virtue they can cling to. Some aspect of their personality that they figure defines them. Maybe they'll never lie or cheat to get ahead. Maybe they’re unswervingly loyal to their allies. Maybe it’s that rarest of all ponies, the one who always helps those in need without expecting anything in return. Whatever it is, that's what lets him sleep at night, whatever else they have to do to survive. It’s something to hang on to when the Wasteland demands everything else that makes you you.

Well, children, you know my motto by now. I bring you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts. And this one’s gonna hurt.

Truth is, BEEP-BEEP-BEEP! There’s a landmine right there. Maybe that virtue is what lets a pony look himself in the mirror, but that doesn’t stop him from being the meanest, cruelest bastard you ever saw. Shoot a mare for a hoofful of caps? Sure thing! Sell slaves to Red Eye? No problem! Murder, rape, and pillage his way across the Equestrian Wasteland, because as long as he doesn’t betray his crew, he’s a-okay! Yeah. Nice job.

So if you’re just looking to keep yourself sane, go right ahead. Grab yourself a virtue, stick to it, and do what you gotta to survive. But don’t ever make the mistake of thinking that makes you a good pony.

Now, there’s a certain pony I haven’t mentioned in all this yet, but you knew it was coming. Once in a while, you meet a pony that doesn’t just do the minimum. A pony who doesn’t try to live by just one virtue, but strives to live a virtuous life. To be honest, and compassionate, and loyal, and generous, and everything else, all at once. A pony like our Wasteland Savior. A good pony.

I won’t lie, children. That is the toughest road in this whole fucked-up Wasteland. It wears a body down, and nopony – nopony – can do it without a stumble. Even our Lightbringer has slipped and fallen, time and time again. But here’s the important part: she hasn’t given up on herself, and she hasn’t given up on you. Every time she’s stumbled, she’s got right back on her hooves and tried to do better.

So that’s my challenge to you today, children. Go out there and do better. You know in your heart what’s right, so don’t let that slip away just because it’s easier to be an asshole. And don’t give up just because you know you’ve done wrong. Nopony’s perfect, and it’s never too late to do the right thing.

Whew. Was that heavy enough for ya? Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, children. I promise the next break will be full of news and jokes and practical advice, so stay tuned. For now, let’s lighten the mood with the Wasteland’s newest songbird, Velvet Remedy, telling us all about her remedy for whatever brings her down!

♫ I can see you stalking like a predator, I've been here before... ♫
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by HillBilly-Drew on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:34 pm

ok random but, i have a feelin that somehow the dealer will be the hero... any yall got that same feelin?

HillBilly-Drew
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:39 pm

58 online!
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:51 pm

IT BEGINS.

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:19 pm

Detonation in 10... 9... 8... 7... 6... 5... 4... 3... 2...

Tell my family... just tell them.
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by HillBilly-Drew on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:20 pm

well i was ganna sleep tonight. ..... so worth it!!!

HillBilly-Drew
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:21 pm

Got my copy saved, now just to wait the 4+ hours until I can read it in peace.

*hugs Somber, Hinds and Bronode gently in turn*
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:44 pm

Still reading. I feel cold... the kind of cold that simply doesn't go away. The cold that you feel in the center of your spine because it's in you brain.

Seriously, spoilers for Chapter 58.:
The part where Blackjack is stripped of everything (at least the first time because I don't know if it happens again just yet) is rather chilling. Stripped of everything that makes you you, thoughts, memories, feelings... there's a fear deep inside me that existed before now... and it's stronger now.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:59 pm

Aaaaaand so much for sleeping.
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:05 am

Moodyman90 wrote:Still reading. I feel cold... the kind of cold that simply doesn't go away. The cold that you feel in the center of your spine because it's in you brain.

Seriously, spoilers for Chapter 58.:
The part where Blackjack is stripped of everything (at least the first time because I don't know if it happens again just yet) is rather chilling. Stripped of everything that makes you you, thoughts, memories, feelings... there's a fear deep inside me that existed before now... and it's stronger now.
This chapter actually managed to get to me a bit in a few places.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:05 am

It's good thing that it's morning here and I can read it, while I'll be at work, so time will 'fly' faster for me.
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:07 am

Katarn wrote:It's good thing that it's morning here and I can read it, while I'll be at work, so time will 'fly' faster for me.

This for me too
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:19 am

It's a good thing I'm up for seven more hours, anyway.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:24 am

Spoiler:
The Indiana Jones reference is when I realized that I had forgotten to take notes. So this is all I got:

Thank you again Somber.
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Downloaded Skill on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:45 am

Commentary:

The Beginning

It's chilling to read Blackjack's thoughts while she's dominated like this. The fact that she hates it too and knows about it. It just feels wrong.

I thought Pslam dropped Penance when she was assimilated. How could it be disassembled in Miramare?

"The Operative walks the Wasteland once more." Did anyone else get a chill reading that?

Why would Lacunae fight now? She was safe in Hoofington, cut off due to enervation. Why did she go in the first place? I'm guessing the enervation was light enough around Elysium for the Goddess to connect.

Twilight's Memory

Can't Goldy ever be straight for once? I want to know more and the big picture so badly and yet it's all cryptic. Maybe it would make more sense if I reread PH.

“I put my heart and soul into them.  One set for each of us, and a seventh for Princess Luna.” Well this chapter is doing a really good job of making my blood run cold.

Luna definitely knows that the statues are soul jars or at least can feel the presence of soul infused items. Luna already has a strong night and darkness theme so maybe she would be more proficient or at least knowledgeable of shadow or dark magic?

If I'm not getting unnerved by something I'm being saddened instead! Rarity lamenting about how her life and all of her friend's have been destroyed by the war and the Ministries. It's just downright awful.

Post-Memory

Twilight proposing genocide? Near-omnicide? I can see the appeal. That would be a utopia for a hive mind. Trixie must have stripped just about every facet of Twilight and everyone else's personality and just left the intelligence and drive for a better tomorrow.

After The Goddess strips out BJ's memories... Jesus H Christ. I think this is the worst thing I've felt reading the story.
The Goddess killed BJ! There's just a husk that's moving around now. Oddly enough I read everything in SHODAN's voice for some reason.

Did the Goddess restore BJ's memories to her because the Goddess doesn't know how an individual would work? By BJ being an individual with her experiences she would be able to understand Littlepip right?

How would BJ be able to kill herself? The Goddess controls her body.

The Meeting

So if I'm reading this right Somber justifies the break from canon about The Goddess knowing the names by saying that the Goddess accidentally stole the emotional memory orb memories from Littlepip's mind? The emotional memories gave crucial context to the name which struck her silent?

So the memories tripped a kind of emotional influx which was magnified when the Goddess sorted through Lacunae's memories? It returned her core personalities to their true selves which made them realize their error and overpower the Goddess personality?

Post Bombing

I thought that in the story the Twilight!Alicorn's mark faded right before it left.

Ah I see. This was before that.

Is Lacunae truly dead now? It seems very similar to how Legion died in Mass Effect 3's Golden ending on Rannoch. Sacrificing the life she developed so others who never had it could truly live.

I think the events of this chapter don't contradict or mess with the original FoE Canon. I think it was handled well to be honest. This was one of the most important moments in the original story and I think it got the attention it deserved in PH.

I thought BJ's pipbuck was detached before she left Elysium?

Nice touch with the Indiana Jones Wild Wasteland reference.

BJ struggling with suicidal thoughts again. It's like early PH all over again.

Glory finally gets the jacket at long last. How did they find her though?

Rampage can control herself even though she was decapitated? This is an allusion to Steelhoove's death I take it.

LANCER?! What the hell? Well he came this far, maybe he will be the token zebra team mate. Maybe now we'll finally get some more exposition on the Zebras. This'll be interesting.

The Airship

Captain Boo takes the helm! I demand pictures of Boo in a captain's outfit.

Rampage is suicidal again. I think everyone in BJ's crew has gone through this. Scotch is the only exception I think. 5 bucks says that changes.  

And the mood whiplash strikes hard once again. From depression to Glory and P-21 denying they had a threesome with Blackjack.

Something tells me Lancer will stick around despite almost everyone not wanting him to.

Damn that music is sad, but fitting. I'm saving it and adding it to my collection.

Lacunae is dead and there will be no afterlife for her.

With that music going I will admit. I cried. I admit that with no shame whatsoever.

We still don't know how they tracked BJ though.

I think this was a very good, if not one of the best chapters in PH. It inspired a lot of emotion in me, positive and negative. I felt BJ's pain and I was genuinely unnerved by what the Goddess did to her. Thank you Somber for your work.

Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:53 am

I needed this chapter. I needed to read it. In ways I can't say. Despite my doubts and fears I stated here a few weeks ago about the events of this chapter, I knew if anybody could pull it off Somber could.

And, in my opinion, he did.

Heh, read it all in roughly two hours... but that's neither here nor there.

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride now. I may have some more things to say later on when my heads a bit... clearer for lack of better term of how it might be from where it is now.

I'm not cold anymore. Quite warm actually. Just... wish it was for a slightly different reason.Shy
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:45 am

I've barely ever watched star trek, but is this voice Blackjack's taking on that of the Borg?
Lack of personality shouldn't turn her into a walking calculator. It's already established those in unity retain their unique knowledge, like the pipbuck technician did.
Where is this "intelligence" coming from? On what does she base these numbers, like that a battle will last 17.9 seconds?

It just comes off, to me, as really stupid. I can agree with an impersonal stance to the proceedings, but not this cyborg crap.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Downloaded Skill on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:00 am

From my understanding of it The Goddess basically stripped everything from BJ that would make her want to fight the Goddess. If Blackjack doesn't know why she should resist, she won't. Blackjack is still vaguely herself, but the Goddess fully controls her body through the connection. The connection allows the Goddess to impart some of her intelligence and calculation onto BJ, since that is all the Goddess has. The Goddess restored BJ to her previous state because BJ can't calculate what Pip will do in that state and the memories mean nothing to the Goddess because it isn't personal to her. Someone else's experiences don't mean anything to her, only the skills.

Thats just my take away at least.
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:01 am

"Facts and figures I recite with ease.  The square root of five hundred and forty-six is twenty-three point three six six six four two eight nine one zero nine."
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:16 am

Somber wrote:"Facts and figures I recite with ease.  The square root of five hundred and forty-six is twenty-three point three six six six four two eight nine one zero nine."
So Twilight does all the thinking for all of them? Is that really what you're saying?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:18 am

@Skill
Acting like a living calculator isn't intelligence. It's an occassional aspect of Twilight's personality as an aspect of her obsessive compulsive personality.
This doesn't work for me. Not at all.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Downloaded Skill on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:22 am

Well if the Goddess wore away at BJ's personality to the point where Blackjack would become a drone and the Goddess can channel her personality through her drones then BJ is forced to adopt a different personality and thought process. BJ is only there as an afterthought. She possess her skills, but not much else of her original self.
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:28 am

Halfway through the chapter, somber. Enjoying it a fair amount. Not so much some of the preachy parts, but they work well-enough within the scope of the work, I guess.
That whole seconds of combat thing, though... I flipping hate it. I don't know why it ticked me off so bad, but it just struck me as so dumb I had to comment.
It made the horror of the situation comical, to me, but in the worst way. I wanted that fear, to see this horrible blank-ness from inside unity, and that made the whole thing feel silly. A pointless statistic formed more of innane assumptions than cold-blooded, emotionless, pragmatic strategy.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:30 am

Downloaded Skill wrote:Well if the Goddess wore away at BJ's personality to the point where Blackjack would become a drone and the Goddess can channel her personality through her drones then BJ is forced to adopt a different personality and thought process. BJ is only there as an afterthought. She possess her skills, but not much else of her original self.
Back when Blackjack was knocked out and the goddess possessed her body, Blackjack acted far differently. Fairly comically, even. That was the goddess's personality in BJ's body, not this cyborg.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:32 am

I've made my point, though, so I'll stop. I don't accept this bit. This quirk. That is all.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Downloaded Skill on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:41 am

Well I find this an interesting point of discussion because honestly I don't know why it's different. I will freely admit my knowledge of PH is spotty because I haven't reread at all. I can only speculate about how the Goddess controls her drones. Was the Goddess more invested in controlling BJ during that moment several chapters ago? Was how BJ thought when she had her personality stripped how all the Alicorn drones think? It seems like when The Goddess speaks through a specific drone she assumes control of that drone and relinquishes her ability to strongly influence her multitude of drones. In tightening her grasp on one she loosens her grip on others.

Since the Goddess was completely dominating BJ during that event several chapters ago we see a stronger presence of the Goddess's personality. However where there is just the regular domination we see the influence of several other personalities on the drones, mostly Twilight's. There was no grandiose language that defines Trixie's / The Goddess personality. I'm speculating that in channeling more of herself in a single drone The Goddess can not strongly influence her other drones. This is where her other core personalities come in.

Since The Goddess is dead we'll likely never know in story and Somber would have to give tell us exactly what is what.
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:50 am

swicked wrote:
Downloaded Skill wrote:Well if the Goddess wore away at BJ's personality to the point where Blackjack would become a drone and the Goddess can channel her personality through her drones then BJ is forced to adopt a different personality and thought process. BJ is only there as an afterthought. She possess her skills, but not much else of her original self.
Back when Blackjack was knocked out and the goddess possessed her body, Blackjack acted far differently. Fairly comically, even. That was the goddess's personality in BJ's body, not this cyborg.

That was the Goddess directly controlling BJ; BJ was still in there, just suppressed. The Goddess in 58 actually made her a part of Unity, where she acted in unison with the other members.
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:11 am

Glory can't wait for you to be in back in your body either. Noticed more mistakes then usual through out, but from my xbox/phone makes them too difficult to point out

Also their was no genital mutilation, just pointed that out because it seems to happen at least once per chapter recently.

Overall I liked this chapter. Not excited about Lancer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top