Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 3 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Somber on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:46 am

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13757612280A72204100&page=1#8

I had a moment.  Wonder how long it'll last till it gets taken down
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:25 am

O. Hinds wrote:
Moodyman90 wrote:Still reading. I feel cold... the kind of cold that simply doesn't go away. The cold that you feel in the center of your spine because it's in you brain.

Seriously, spoilers for Chapter 58.:
The part where Blackjack is stripped of everything (at least the first time because I don't know if it happens again just yet) is rather chilling. Stripped of everything that makes you you, thoughts, memories, feelings... there's a fear deep inside me that existed before now... and it's stronger now.
This chapter actually managed to get to me a bit in a few places.
Heh, I'll admit, I loved that bit too.
Love to see a waking nightmare.
"I loved who?" :)
I didn't care for the part I just finished complaining about, but it was stil a nice scene.

That said, I didn't like this chapter. It rubbed me the wrong way too many times, despite the quality writing for most of the rest of it.

Edit: Oh, and no commentary, this time.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:35 am

I don't really have anything to say, but you pulled the chapter off.
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:14 am

I'll try to write my actual commentary later, once I've stopped crying, so it may be a few days, sorry, Somber. It was a very well done chapter though, I don't care what anyone else says.

For now though, I think I can sum up all my thoughts on the chapter with this.
Spoiler:

Goodbye, Lacunae...
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:03 am

(disclaimer : this is the comment thread, so I won't bother spoilering spoilers. Be warned.)

So, I'm not one to usually do commentaries and such, it's not really my style. I prefer to read the damn thing, first thing first, and then discuss it with other who read it.

This said...

I liked this chapter. And given my own character, and the theme of the story so far, I liked the fact that even the Goddess was able to find Redemption at last, as with some sense of inner peace (somewhat, this can be argued...). I've not, like some others, felt really sad or happy from the events in this chapter, but this may be because I'm somewhat emotionally dulled. Or because I wasn't reading the chapter in the best of conditions. (do note that after finishing reading ch. 33, I had to go to the store and buy a bottle of 20 years old whiskey to cheer for Blackjack, for the end of her suffering... Just to give you an idea of the emotional impact that one chapter had on me, I almost never drink, and that was the first time I bought alcohol.)

Speaking of dull... "émoussé". Means nothing in the context you used it in (the word only has meaning in the sense of "a dull blade" or "dulled senses"). In proper French, the adequate term would be either "ennuyeux" (boring) or "commun" (common). In the context of the paragraph, you can simply replace "émoussé" with "commun" without losing anything, the meaning here would be the same as "dull" in English.

Also : "Bah.  I left that name with the stage, chere" => "Bah.  I left that name with the stage, ma chère"

"Brava, Trixie! Très bon!" => "Bravo, Trixie! Très bien!"

"laughing uproariously.  “Brava!”  He levitated his" => "laughing uproariously.  “Bravo!”  He levitated his"

Now on the other hand, if the goal was to show that the old buck was a pretender, it works. Kind of like the nonsensical "nonpareil" bit of the Flim-Flam song.

Concerning the extremely precise estimate of combat time in Blackjack's mind in that other scene. I didn't think anything of it personally. But let's imagine it's a problem.

What's the purpose of that tidbit ? I'd say, to show the cold, detached and calculating aspect of Unity, once people are stripped of everything that makes them individuals is removed. Question, is there another way to portray this aspect in the context of this battle ? Rather than a precise calculation of the duration of the battle, maybe show in Blackjack's thought the precision and detachment of her thoughts in this battle ? Almost like some kind of dance pattern or something, but completely cold and devoid of emotion ? I don't know. Just a possible suggestion, should this bit be edited. the dance-pattern idea could even be a foreshadowing of the later bits with Lacunae ("I danced"), and some sort of fridge horror for the reader in retrospect, because these dance pattern would in fact be inspired of the dance lessons she got from Grace, while having forgotten everything from her.

I dunno, throwing shit at the wall here.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:37 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Speaking of dull... "émoussé". Means nothing in the context you used it in (the word only has meaning in the sense of "a dull blade" or "dulled senses"). In proper French, the adequate term would be either "ennuyeux" (boring) or "commun" (common). In the context of the paragraph, you can simply replace "émoussé" with "commun" without losing anything, the meaning here would be the same as "dull" in English.

Also : "Bah.  I left that name with the stage, chere" => "Bah.  I left that name with the stage, ma chère"

"Brava, Trixie! Très bon!" => "Bravo, Trixie! Très bien!"

"laughing uproariously.  “Brava!”  He levitated his" => "laughing uproariously.  “Bravo!”  He levitated his"

Now on the other hand, if the goal was to show that the old buck was a pretender, it works. Kind of like the nonsensical "nonpareil" bit of the Flim-Flam song.

Even I picked up on the off-ness of the random french speech, and I know no french.
I interpretted the errors as the buck being a "pretender" or, more particularly, a showman. Showstallion. Whatever.
Trixie picked up always speaking in third person, even off-stage, from somewhere. The old buck's character is french, even if he isn't.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:40 am

In any case, interesting bit about your emotional range. I wonder what is typical of the Ph audience?

Anyway, as a sort of post-read review, let me go through a quick list of highs, lows and questions:

Stuff:
Low: "gravity", repetitive metaphor, found Blackjack saying she didn't like gravity to be laughable

High: Antithesis

Question: Weren't there more lockers with known codes to them?

High: Lacunae resisting, thousands of atrophied wills unused to resistance and hardship against one forged by it

Low: Goddess arguing with Lacunae and Blackjack about immaturity and irresponsibility.

Question: Oubliette? Dictionary gives... “a dungeon made so that the only way in or out is through a trapdoor at the top”?
THAT is what Blackjack thinks her name would be?

Question: Blackjack's augmentations would still fit her new alicorn body and its completely different dimensions? And wouldn’t at all melt when they hit the dip, too?

Question: If the goddess shutters doubt away inside Lacunae, how does she form plans? Just the first thing that pops into her head?

High: "I loved who?"

Low: "Seventeen point nine seconds"

Low: " Hope. Hope that she could delay long enough for LittlePip to defeat the Goddess. Hope that, somehow, I’d be free. It was small and pitiful and so beautiful."
Hiss...

Question/Low: Just how the hell do memories work? Memories separated from a pony appear as, essentially, memory orbs, it seems. Not knowledge. A memory of being trained in something would be like a memory orb to any pony other than the one that owns the memory, to who it is just knowledge of the training, correct? Or not correct? What is Psalm's shared training? Why does Blackjack have to live though all other memories she touches in Lacunae? I don't get this! Shouldn’t she have to live though every last day in front of Psalm’s training instructor to gain this knowledge?
Is this not why she needed to use an alicorn that was previously a pipbuck technician to attack Blackjack’s new pipbuck? Otherwise... why couldn’t she just as easily of used ANY alicorn to do this?
I know the goddess can share spells, but those are spells (sort of pockets of knowledge and equations as opposed to a months to a lifetime of training and experience in a craft or skill, so the goddess could just as easily be simply describing how to cast the spell telepathically) and they appear to come directly from the four, which are more intimately connected to the alicorns than any given alicorn is to each other since, you know, every alicorn’s body is based on one of the four.
...not that it MATTERS anymore...

Question: how do you figure the distance on Littlepip's temple though all that building in the way? You can't sight her. This would be one heck of a hard headshot...

Grammar: “I didn’t hear it specifically it so much and feel it.”

Low: Goddesses arguing with selves. Ugh.

Grammar: “it tumbled off the back off the cliff just as a second poked its head over the lip.”

Low: Rampage can attack while headless and is fixed by having her head put back on.
I'm guessing Somber's been playing the new Deadpool game.

High: “Oh... just like momma.” (less than momma, in fact!)

Question: Music? I'm viewing the file as a .txt, so maybe this was for a soundtrack...

Low: Long, long, long reminiscing. Ugh.

That's all I got. Meh.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:45 am

All quotes are from Swicked's previous post (fuck this quoting tool in the ear).

Question: Weren't there more lockers with known codes to them?
I'm not sure, but I think Lacunae's may have been the last of them ? Or maybe there was a few others left ? I don't know. Wasn't it Jetstream who was sent to the sanatorium ? I doubt she would still have a locker at miramare after that. Though this beg the question of why Psalm would still have one there after having been reassigned to the OIA. I guess she went to deposit Penance in the locker during her Last Trek, but then the question is still there : why did she still have a locker ? And Doof as well ? And "Gorgon" ?

It may have been explained already and I forgot it. But why would the Marauders still have lockers at Miramare so long after the unit got disbanded ? I think in the end the only one who was "left" of the unit was Twist, Applesnack having been reassigned to a rear-guard duty in Zebratown.

Question: Oubliette? Dictionary gives... “a dungeon made so that the only way in or out is through a trapdoor at the top”?
THAT is what Blackjack thinks her name would be?
Oubliettes were, at least in the popular imagination, holes in which you threw away people you didn't want to hear from anymore, and left them here to rot until you forget them ("oublier" => to forget => "oubliette").

It had been already brought up in previous chapters, I think it was even the Goddess who suggested this as a possible name for Blackjack-in-Unity ; in the context of turning Blackjack into a new Lacunae or something similar.

Question: Blackjack's augmentations would still fit her new alicorn body and its completely different dimensions? And wouldn’t at all melt when they hit the dip, too?
It would probably all melt, but Blackjack doesn't necessarily know that. So it's here imagination working her.

Question: If the goddess shutters doubt away inside Lacunae, how does she form plans? Just the first thing that pops into her head?
*shrug* It's probably more subtle than that in practice.

Question: how do you figure the distance on Littlepip's temple though all that building in the way? You can't sight her. This would be one heck of a hard headshot...
The scope is said to be magically enchanted to allow seeing through rubles and buildings. Don't ask me how it works and how it knows when to stop, I have no idea.

Can you develop that line of thought, please ?

Ditto.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:51 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:The scope is said to be magically enchanted to allow seeing through rubles and buildings. Don't ask me how it works and how it knows when to stop, I have no idea.
No, Blackjack adjusts the scope to allow her to see deeper or shallow-er into buildings and rubble, but my question was more along the lines of... well, windspeed and gravity still affect the bullet, right? How does she know what distance it is to her target, and how to adjust? Or was Littlepip close-enough that didn't matter to achieve a headshot?

I mean, I don't know much about guns, but I would think you'd need a better grasp of the distance than looking through a straw would offer you, here, in order to properly line-up the shot.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
Can you develop that line of thought, please ?
Okay, I'll look over it again tonight and try and provide a more developed response.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
Ditto.
...ditto what you just said, or what I just said?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:05 am

To Harmony: Fixed the french.  If you thought the reminiscing at the end was bad, why?

To Swicked: What do you think I should have done, then?
Somber
Hydra

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:09 am

@ Swicked & Somber : No, I meant "ditto can you explain your reasoning for that thing you said as well ?". Basically asking the same question as Somber here. Derpy Hooves 

Last edited by Harmony Ltd. on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:09 am

Somber wrote:To Swicked: What do you think I should have done, then?
In regards to which parts?
Just the end reminiscing, or what?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:15 am

One thing that's particular to me, though, is I hate when someone attempts to pull on my heartstrings.
I don't mean when something sad happens, like Lacunae's actual "death". I liked that. I liked the impact it had on Blackjack. I liked the impact it had on the entire team.

Blackjack sitting for an entire page talking about her memories of Lacunae, and how much it hurts that she's gone, and all the things she could have done, and blah blah blah... Blackjack's trying to make me feel like she does. You're trying to make me sad without something sad happening. You don't seem to think I understand what was lost in her passing.
I understand. I don't need to be lectured.

I understand, too, that it's sorta just something people do when they are grieving, but I'd rather she be sitting with her friends, talking to them about their memories of Lacunae, affecting THEM. I could even get swept up in THEIR emotion. Maybe. I don't know.
Her talking to ME about this stuff just ticks me off, though, as she's trying to tug at heartstrings she's never going to find. I don't need to be told this stuff. It isn't even consoling. It's just an attempt to make me sad, which doesn't work on me.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:24 am

I'm not trying to make you sad.  I'm doing two things.  One, I'm showing you that Blackjack is finally acknowledging her death emotionally.  It's part of the grieving process.  Two, this story has been going on for 2 years and probably 1000 pages.  It's a final tribute to the high points that we had in the story.  But I hear what you're saying.  Next of her friends die, no reminiscing.  It's good.
Somber
Hydra

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:25 am

Somber wrote:To Harmony: Fixed the french.
...so, the errors weren't intentional?
I rather liked it. Cute, really. Like I said, I thought he was playing a character, as I had thought he'd taught Trixie to do, as well.
Ah, well...

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:27 am

Somber wrote:Next of her friends die, no reminiscing.  It's good.
Are you sarcasting me, boy? You best not me sarcasting me :P
I said I'd rather she be doing this, recounting the good times, to her friends... not just to the audience.
They're grieving, too.
But interpret my words however you feel like.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlong Analysis Cobalt on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:28 am

What I Did Instead of Working, grumble grumble grumble:

Except, you know, obviously this is much better. Zero regrets!

Aaaanywho, starting with overall thoughts, as one ought. Well, uh, honestly, I thought this one kicked ass. /shrug There was one scene I could have done without, and there was one scene that I thought could have ended early, but honestly, that happens with most fight scenes. Not to mention that a separate scene of a-fightin' and a-feudin' had me grinning and doing little fist pumps, so. There's that. Anyway, the chapter worked for me on an emotional level, it had some fantastic imagery, and it resolved a very, very longstanding plot in a very satisfactory way.

So, good scenes! The first one was a great scene. Then, the second one, I liked that scene. Oh, and the third one made me feel sick dread and pain, so that was good... This is uniquely unhelpful, isn't it?

There are too many good parts to go through them one at a time. :| Highlights.

The first scene! Really liked the note. Really liked how painful the whole bloody thing was, Blackjack leaving her friends in the lurch like that, knowing that if she said anything more she would simply find herself killing them. The scene really set up the inexorable quality of the Goddess' control.

The second scene! Smattering of great little references to the other ongoing plots. I will admit, I'm still not 100% on how those weapons got in those lockers, but I assumed there was an explanation I had forgotten, and the scene was beautiful enough to make it easy to ignore. Brutal quick fight with the two griffons.

Basically, all after that was Blackjack and Lacunae variously attempting to resist the Goddess, and mostly failing. By and large, this was good stuff. It was moving, and painful, and fun to read. Can't say fairer than that. The scene in which Blackjack+Alicorns fought Lacunae was the one I felt overstayed its welcome, to be honest, but I got why it was there in the first place and there were some cool things going down.

Let's see, after that... the introduction of the Enclave ships coming down was a sweet visual. For some reason, my brain just latched onto it.

The scene you were worried about? Perfectly fine, by the way.

Lacunae's death. It gave me the feels, for sure, though not as much as the scenes following it. Blackjack having a cry still makes me sad, especially after something like this. The list-off of the stuff she'd done, and the potential stuff she might've gone on to do, was well done, and didn't come off like one of those sappy montages. It just came off as Blackjack remembering the best, and lamenting.

The fight with the couple of Enclavers was the one that I just sort of "meh'd" over. It wasn't a bad fight or anything, and I think I can see some of the reasons why it was included (re-emphasis of Blackjack being in control, inasmuch as she ever is in control, reminding the reader that the Enclave are super-mega-pissed about this whole affair, not without good reason), but, I dunno, guess it wasn't a scene I was looking for right then, in tone/pace.

Balefire explosion? Kicked ass. Another great image. Also, Lacunae's shield - more great imagery.

The refrigerator body? I remembered that from New Vegas. Made me smile. Also, a great scene - incorporating the futile image of the skeleton in the fridge with Blackjack wondering if she should just stop, and then deciding to keep going. It's a sign of how much she has grown, I think. She's not holding in her pain, and she's not letting it kill her. Good stuff.

And, perhaps my favorite part: abruptly, Glory! And everyone else, too! Delivering the tone reset to the story and chapter, right on cue. Now, I'm going to use musical metaphors for a second, so bear with me. During the first parts of the chapter, we had this, this, and then, of course, this (my headcanon's Lacunae theme music has never been more fitting). With the return of the other characters, things aren't all fun and games, but they are back to roaring and lively shenanigans. Now, we're closer to this. Props on Rampage's head getting cut off, it was a nice little reference to the original's death that cropped up around the same circumstances. Stupid OP hellhounds.

Anyway, yeah! That's where I'm at viz: this chapter, and the story right now. Very much looking forward to whatever comes next. Also, Rampage-powered air balloons. I approve. Thanks as always for writing it; it was, ironically enough, a nice pick-me-up and a great rollercoaster of a chapter.
Overlong Analysis Cobalt
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 230

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:29 am

Right now I'm in extreme pain from a bad tooth.  Take everything I say with that in mind.
Somber
Hydra

Back to top Go down

Post by Downloaded Skill on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:29 am

I have to admit though having Rampage's body still move and attack while headless left me more confused than anything. The idea itself is darkly humorous, but it contradicts earlier actions in the story. Blackjack stopped Rampage's freak outs by shooting her in the head. If Rampage's regeneration was like this, the head shots wouldn't matter at all.
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:38 am

Somber wrote:Right now I'm in extreme pain from a bad tooth.  Take everything I say with that in mind.
So if we annoy you are we going to get a chewing ? :D
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:45 am

Somber wrote:Right now I'm in extreme pain from a bad tooth.  Take everything I say with that in mind.
Then keep in mind I'm the odd duck, here, and most people already said they like your take on it all.
Outside of exposition, though, I don't like long internal dialogues. Anything that could be said inwardly could be bounced off another character, after all, and I like character interaction. The development of relationships between cast members. Their similarities and dissimilarities on a mental, emotional, instinctual, even physical level are something I like to think about, which is why those sort of things are so often the focus of those outtakes I sometimes write.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:47 am

I think having the brain destroyed and the head removed are a bit different. Maybe it's something the talisman has built in, to save energy? It doesn't regenerate what can be recovered?

I don't know. With all Alicorn control stuff I'm willing to except that the Phoenix talisman can remotely recieve brain signals to operate the body.

Or maybe it's simpler than that and her body's continuing to spasm in the only way rampage knows how.

That wouldn't explain why the head wasn't regenerated. Looked like it took longer than usual if that's the case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlong Analysis Cobalt on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:51 am

Ouch. :(

@Downloaded
I figured it was something about brain destruction rather than separation of the spinal cord from the rest of the body, but I dunno. Magic! I am worse at reasoning out explanation for things the closer to "because souls" the explanation becomes. =P Reminded me of an old story I heard about Lief Erikson (no idea how to spell that). He and his men got captured, right, and they were getting executed one by one. So, in the line, because they're vikings, two of Erikson's men are speculating on how long you get to survive after your head's off. One guy bets the other that he'll still be alive for a bit afterwards. So, the guy gets his head chopped off, and then, as the executioner moves on to his pal, the headless body sort of swings around and trips him. And then all the prisoners jump him, get the sword, and kill everyone, or something. I heard it like 15 years ago; the details are foggy.
Overlong Analysis Cobalt
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Downloaded Skill on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:06 am

Well the thing is spine severing and brain destruction wouldn't make a difference from a functional standpoint. If the spine is severed there is no pathway for the brain to send commands. If the brain is destroyed it can't send commands. Either way it would be impossible for the body to move beyond twitches and death throes that normally result when someone dies. What Rampage did after she died was more sophisticated than that.
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 am

There's another explaination:  Botched writing trying for humor.
Somber
Hydra

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:15 am

Well, I've kind of always assumed there was some amount of "cartoon physic" in the setting (FoE at large) -I think it's that thing Mel' and Hinds were calling "narrative causality" in that other thread ?-, so I'd chalk that one up on that. Some times weird things just happen that don't really make sense => (in)famous example : Pinkie Sense.

Anyway => "tried for humor" : it was successful as far as I'm concerned. I sort of imagined the "oh fuck" face of the guy she slammed.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Downloaded Skill on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:22 am

The scene was humorous, but it didn't make sense considering what was established about how Rampage dies and reincarnates. Its just a consistency issue. I don't mean to insult your work. I love it very much which is why I'm voicing my thoughts on the matter in a, hopefully, respectful manner.

Last edited by Downloaded Skill on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye92 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:22 am

I really liked the latest chapter. To be fair it is something I've been waiting for for a long time.

Spoiler:
If there was a way for Lacunae to go, that was probably the best. I teared up there, rather a lot.

Not entirely sure why the Enclave's first reaction to the news of a bomb being planted is to attack, but that was pretty much the only odd thing in the chapter.
hawkeye92
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlong Analysis Cobalt on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:47 am

Downloaded Skill wrote:Well the thing is spine severing and brain destruction wouldn't make a difference from a functional standpoint. If the spine is severed there is no pathway for the brain to send commands. If the brain is destroyed it can't send commands. Either way it would be impossible for the body to move beyond twitches and death throes that normally result when someone dies. What Rampage did after she died was more sophisticated than that.
I am going to regret even thinking about this, but let me tell you about... CARTESIAN DUALISM. DUN DUN DUN. As much as I remember about it, anyway, considering I've done my best to forget it 'cos it's batpony poop crazy.

Now, I'm not saying that the world of PH operates according to it, but we do know that it has some kind of dualism-type deal  going on. Y'know, souls + bodies. Somber's stated some stuff that makes it sounds significantly more complicated (soul != mind, for instance) but also frankly more realistic than Descartes' version; still, the basic concept should work. Anyway.

There are two things that make up a person: the body, and the soul. They don't really interact much, since they are on different planes of existence. Ooh, magical! But then there are these animal spirits (as in animated, rather than as in kitties, AFAIK), right, that can walk between the two planes (if you wanna get quantum, they're in a state of constantly being both soulstuff and materialstuff, until they need to be one or the other, and then they're back uncertain. I just made that up.), and which link our bodies to our souls, transmitting information (or something) from our soul to our body, so that when we wanna walk and stuff, we can. My brain hurts.

Anyway 2.0! One assumes that death occurs when the animal spirits no longer have access to the body correctly. IIRC it's the pituitary gland that filters them in, according to Descartes? I dunno, doesn't matter. Point is, maybe the nature of these animal spirits is changed by the talisman inside Rampage, so that they never lose access to the body. If the brain-bit that comptrols them is temporarily destroyed, they don't work right anymore until its fixed, but if it's still intact, they still can flow into the bodyparts as necessary. God, this is needlessly complex. I need coffee.

Anyway, that's an explanation. Not necessarily a good one (in fact, almost certainly not a good one) but... it exists! For the record, I think that Descartes' attempts to explain how his theory of souls and bodies actually works is maybe the single best argument for not explaining the mechanics of magic in fiction. =P
Overlong Analysis Cobalt
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Somber wrote:"Facts and figures I recite with ease.  The square root of five hundred and forty-six is twenty-three point three six six six four two eight nine one zero nine."

To be honest, I was thinking more closer to this:
"The square root of 906.01 is..."
"... 30.1."
where it comes from.:
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down