Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+17
IncoherentOrange
cb5
Darkbright39
Cptadder
Ketchup
StoneSlinger88
O. Hinds
Meleagridis
Moodyman90
Stringtheory
Ironmonger
Valikdu
Admiral Stoic Rum
Harmony Ltd.
Kippershy
RoboRed
Frost
21 posters

Page 15 of 31 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23 ... 31  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 15 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by StoneSlinger88 Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:35 am

Thank Constantine.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 15 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:12 am

Completely unrelated :

I was looking a bit on what's the mid-term future for tanks worldwide (between now and 10-15 years in the future), and, well...

- USA : further modernization of the Abrams. No new tank before 2020-2025.
- France : further modernization of the Leclerc. No project for a new tank announced yet.
- Germany : further modernization of the Leopard 2. I haven't seen anything about the development of a new tank.
- United Kingdom : I haven't looked much into it but I suspect "further modernization of the Challenger 2".

On the other hand :

- Russia : deployment of the new T-90. Development of the new and technologically revolutionary T-99.
- China : Probable development of a new tank, and deployment of the Type 99 in limited numbers, though the backbone of the forces will remain the Type 59 for a bit.
- Turkey : development of the first completely Turkish tank.
- India : The Arjun entered service in 2004.

Basically, the First World is content to keep its current tanks, only updating their electronics to be integrated into battlefield networks and modernizing the armament ; and in most cases reducing the numbers of tanks in active service.

While the developing world is ditching old equipment to get up to date, acquiring third generation main battle tanks ; while Russia is working on starting the 3.5th or 4th generation.

I will put that one on the post Cold War climate of "the age of tank battles is over, it's all counter-insurrection battles from there". :v
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:58 am

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 15 BYfhvxZ
from SMBC
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:12 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Completely unrelated :

I was looking a bit on what's the mid-term future for tanks worldwide (between now and 10-15 years in the future), and, well...

- USA : further modernization of the Abrams. No new tank before 2020-2025.
- France : further modernization of the Leclerc. No project for a new tank announced yet.
- Germany : further modernization of the Leopard 2. I haven't seen anything about the development of a new tank.
- United Kingdom : I haven't looked much into it but I suspect "further modernization of the Challenger 2".

On the other hand :

- Russia : deployment of the new T-90. Development of the new and technologically revolutionary T-99.
- China : Probable development of a new tank, and deployment of the Type 99 in limited numbers, though the backbone of the forces will remain the Type 59 for a bit.
- Turkey : development of the first completely Turkish tank.
- India : The Arjun entered service in 2004.

Basically, the First World is content to keep its current tanks, only updating their electronics to be integrated into battlefield networks and modernizing the armament ; and in most cases reducing the numbers of tanks in active service.

While the developing world is ditching old equipment to get up to date, acquiring third generation main battle tanks ; while Russia is working on starting the 3.5th or 4th generation.

I will put that one on the post Cold War climate of "the age of tank battles is over, it's all counter-insurrection battles from there". :v
The chances of first world countries, and countries like Russia, China, Turkey and India directly going to war against each other is pretty slim. Why spend a insane amount of money developing new tanks against countries you probably won't be going to war with when the current war environment is fighting in 3rd world countries against insurgents whose rockets bound off your armor? Not to mention Iran elected a moderate and North Korea is starting economic talks with South Korea. The war on terror is winding down. The current hot bed of violence is in Syria and such. Obama is wanting the usa and russia to start talks to reduce the number of nukes ready to launch. Not to mention the usa last budget talks cut the military spending by a fair bit in the long run, and the trend is probably going to continue.

If you're in the industry of storing of tanks, military aircraft, missiles, nuclear warheads and such you're going to be making some serious money in the next few years from countries wanting to keep their stuff ready just in case, but not active to save money.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:22 am

Yeah.

All the R&D / procurement money these days (hyperbole) seems to be going in :

- IED-proof vehicles to move infantry around.
- drones of all kind.
- battlefield networks and all the electronics soldiers are carrying and will carry on the battlefield.

Generally speaking, less pew-pews and more smarts, things to improve situational awareness (drones, battlefield networks) and reduce exposition to risks (IED-proof vehicles).
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:39 pm

PH music time !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo

Spike
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:52 pm

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 15 Crazy_scoot_loo_by_theartrix-d6a1aw0
http://theartrix.deviantart.com/art/Crazy-Scoot-loo-379653984
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:55 pm

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 15 Somber11
56 is up!

Also, mods, Somber is unable to log into Cloudsville and asks that you email him about the issue.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Well, it's gonna be a busy weekend.

In other news:
soon...:
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:53 pm

it took me a few seconds to realize the somber signal

and then I promptly scared my cat so much she shit herself out of my lap... it was gross...

then again laughing maniacally is detrimental
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:54 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Yeah.

All the R&D / procurement money these days (hyperbole) seems to be going in :

- IED-proof vehicles to move infantry around.
- drones of all kind.
- battlefield networks and all the electronics soldiers are carrying and will carry on the battlefield.

Generally speaking, less pew-pews and more smarts, things to improve situational awareness (drones, battlefield networks) and reduce exposition to risks (IED-proof vehicles).
I could make a parody of the mgs4 "war has changed" speech, but yeah pretty much.

Also personally we probably won't see first world nations or such go to war for a long time, and if so it's probably going to be a proxy war where we give arms to one side and they give arms to one side in another country.  Like how we're not at war with Russia, but we're giving arms to the syrian rebels while Russia is giving arms to the loyalists.  I don't think we'll ever see WWIII, or a nuclear war in all likilihood, rather the more likely scenario is large scale proxy wars and giving arms to allies.  It gives the impression of "peace".

Why go to war when you can have "peace" and get the same results for a fraction of the costs?
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:24 pm

this is because we are in the process of becoming a type 1 civilization...
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:24 pm

oh and cb how did you like the new chapter?
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:31 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if there are aliens in the universe, and it wouldn't surprise me if the reason why they haven't contacted us is they have the same mentality as us when it comes to wars in other nations and that is to not give a s*** saying it doesn't involve us. Most people don't give a **** whenever we're supplying arms to proxy wars so long as our soldiers aren't on the ground dying.

Also I haven't yet.  I'm playing last of us, then reading "mary is a mare" and then the next chapter.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:19 am

O. Hinds wrote:[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 15 Somber11
56 is up!

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 15 Freak-out-GIF
(In the good way)

cb5 wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if there are aliens in the universe, and it wouldn't surprise me if the reason why they haven't contacted us is they have the same mentality as us when it comes to wars in other nations and that is to not give a s*** saying it doesn't involve us.  Most people don't give a **** whenever we're supplying arms to proxy wars so long as our soldiers aren't on the ground dying.

The odds of us being alone in an infinite universe are next to nothing. Our odds of making contact with other forms of life before going extinct aren't much better.

cb5 wrote:Also I haven't yet.  I'm playing last of us, then reading "mary is a mare" and then the next chapter.

Not familiar with the middle one, but overall that sounds like a to-do list worth imitating.
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:35 am

Meleagridis wrote:The odds of us being alone in an infinite universe are next to nothing. Our odds of making contact with other forms of life before going extinct aren't much better.

Not familiar with the middle one, but overall that sounds like a to-do list worth imitating.
The most likely scenario is that life is extremely common, but we're all on different levels of development. We could find life in Europa, but chances are it's just bacteria. There could have been life on mars. But the chances of another earth level technology civilization or above being anywhere close by is next to nil. It took us a billion years to get this far so you're talking about a billionth of a billionth chance.

Mary is a mare is a good ponies and humans accidentially have their dimensions cross fic. It's more of a slice of life as the family accidentally get their dna scrambled and mary(the mom) becomes a pony.

Personally I like humans co-exist with ponies sorts of fics cause I can't stand misanthropy at all, cause fics going "humans suckorz" or people that are misanthropic outright ignore all of psychology and sociology cause they think they're smarter than millions of psychologists and sociologists for going "humans sucks". If mlp ponies were real and we could interact and go to their world back and forth the most likely scenario is it would mirror how allied countries interact with one another. We would most likely see immigrants back and forth, mixed couples, trade, and mixing of cultures and such.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:37 am

I am of the belief that life as we know it exists in countless places outside of our solar system and perhaps several other places inside it. That other species would even follow a similar path to the one we've followed is so incredibly slim that we probably will never encounter any other race with our level of technology or greater. However, I think it almost certain that there are countless species with greater power than we have. Then there's the fact that our planet has been broadcasting patterned signals on radio frequencies for some time. Anyone within a hundred light-years could detect those with the right equipment, and that sphere of space that carries our messages only increases with time. I wonder how far our earliest messages could go before becoming indistinguishable from so much static.

Misanthropy is an irksome thing, and it's all too common in fanfic because people like to think of other worlds as exempt from whatever they don't like about humanity, I suppose. It's something I always strive to avert in my stories. (Speaking of which, I'm actually writing again, if little. Feels kind of good, but I'm still pretty burnt out.) Mary is a Mare is something I really must get to reading, hmmm. Then again, there's a lot of things I should be reading. I certainly have the time to do said reading, but none of the drive. If only I could find such a drive again.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:46 am

IncoherentOrange wrote:I am of the belief that life as we know it exists in countless places outside of our solar system and perhaps several other places inside it. That other species would even follow a similar path to the one we've followed is so incredibly slim that we probably will never encounter any other race with our level of technology or greater. However, I think it almost certain that there are countless species with greater power than we have. Then there's the fact that our planet has been broadcasting patterned signals on radio frequencies for some time. Anyone within a hundred light-years could detect those with the right equipment, and that sphere of space that carries our messages only increases with time. I wonder how far our earliest messages could go before becoming indistinguishable from so much static.

Misanthropy is an irksome thing, and it's all too common in fanfic because people like to think of other worlds as exempt from whatever they don't like about humanity, I suppose. It's something I always strive to avert in my stories. (Speaking of which, I'm actually writing again, if little. Feels kind of good, but I'm still pretty burnt out.) Mary is a Mare is something I really must get to reading, hmmm. Then again, there's a lot of things I should be reading. I certainly have the time to do said reading, but none of the drive. If only I could find such a drive again.
It would probably take tens of thousands of years for our radio signals to reach someone on or above our technology level though and then tens of thousands of years for them to respond though.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:58 am

Yep, but I don't doubt that someone somewhere will eventually receive them.

Whether or not we're there when they respond (and we can receive a response) is a better question.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:17 am

well heres a thought, the likelyhood of a type 1 civilization making it out of the type 0 civilization (what we are now) is a huge bump, reason and science are still not the singular school of thought, also we have a framework for type 1 communications and such, maybe 100 more years and we will reach type 1...

then we work for a type 2

Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:06 am

swicked wrote:Finn (my son) is one year old today!

Wait what?! Already? Does time move faster there or something? Well happy birthday to him, then!
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:08 am

Well happy birthday, to Finn!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:24 am

Happy birthday to the little fella!

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:48 am

Happy birthday to him !
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:01 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPnY2NjSjrg

*squeeeeeeeee*
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:16 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:

*squeeeeeeeee*
I'm so happy I might cry.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:19 am

One thing is certain :

that movie is going to be absolutely toyetic ! Spike
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:20 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:

*squeeeeeeeee*

I saw this yesterday when I was at the movies, I can't wait it's going to be so awesome Rainbow

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:31 am

Man, the Industry is complaining that less and less people are going to the theaters ;

but can you blame people if when they're in the mood to watch a movie there's nothing that catch their attention screening, or if they don't have €10 to blow on seeing a crappy blockbuster without the ability to put the movie on pause to go to the toilets in the middle ?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:41 am

There's a place by me that has $5.00 Wednesdays, five bucks gets you a show. Of course we all sneak in food to the point we look fifty pounds fatter.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 31 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23 ... 31  Next