Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+16
IncoherentOrange
Valikdu
tylertoon2
Ketchup
Kippershy
StoneSlinger88
Meleagridis
Admiral Stoic Rum
OneMoreDaySK
Frost
Ironmonger
O. Hinds
Stringtheory
RoboRed
Harmony Ltd.
Aonee
20 posters

Page 11 of 32 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21 ... 32  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 11 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by O. Hinds Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:49 pm

@Harmony Ltd.:
Sorry that this took so long!

"What's the Rose banner, in your head-mounted kinetic projectile actuator device, Hinds ?"
Well, firstly, you can thank Meleagridis for the initial inspiration for this; it's all grown from wanting a faction across the river in the Moojave. :)

The Rose Banner, a name which I only recently finally came up with, is a group of ex-Red Eye followers formed and lead by a pony named Rose Eye (though probably still called Red Rose at the time of formation; my current headcanon has the current three names I have for her being sequential). Bloodflower was born the daughter of the leader of an otherwise-insignificant band of raiders operating out of an old gardening emporium. She was an intelligent unicorn, possibly to the point of being a prodigy, and, being the acknowledged daughter of a raider leader, was well on her way to taking over the band. Then some of Red Eye's forces moved through the area and attacked; the raiders, though they fought well, were hideously outmatched and were probably only prevented from being wiped out because Bloodflower, her mother having died in battle, called a surrender and killed the first pony to object. The adults were, of course, enslaved (I'm not sure if there were any other foals), but Bloodflower, being young and not yet having her cutie mark, was processed through the system for captured foals. There were initially some concerns that it wouldn't be safe to put her with the other foals, but these proved incorrect; to put it mildly, Bloodflower was awed by Fillydelphia, its industry, its genuine rebuilding, and the conditions provided for foals, and it was then that she got her cutie mark of a red rose in the shape of an equine eye. It was decided that she should go with the foals anyway, as using her as just another slave would be quite a waste and it was suspected that he intelligence would be more useful with additional training. She took the name "Red Rose", as "Bloodflower" doesn't fit a non-raider quite as well, and prospered. In particular she studied governance, military science, and the arts of leadership, though she did not neglect basic combat training. She was even honored by Red Eye with the personal gift of custom pistol (an expy of A Light Shining in Darkness that I'm still playing around with names for ("Red Sunrise"?); I'm not sure if .45 caliber is available, but either the weapon could be rechambered or the rounds could be custom-made by Rose Eye); it was expected that she was going places… and then the Fall of Red Eye happened. Red Rose was in Fillydelphia during the events; this was partly because Red Eye thought that she'd be good to have there if anything went wrong, and this turned out to be a good idea. During the Battle of Fillydelphia, Red Rose defended the children and some of the slaves, rallied as many fighters as possible (occasionally through summarily executing the previous commander), and organized the defense as much as possible. Unfortunately, it soon became clear that, whether or not they were exactly losing, their objective/battlefield was rapidly becoming less and less worth fighting for. A debate arose in the as-yet-unnamed faction around the question of whether they ought to break north to the Children of the Cathedral , which were in the process of forming, or whether they ought to strike out on their own. Red Rose and her supporters argued a specific form of the latter; Red Rose thought that the Children of the Cathedral could have difficulty surviving in the long term and that the chances for survival were maximized by forming a separate settlement, and she believed that she'd found just the place in some salvaged scouting reports. Her side eventually won the debate, and so, under cover of a diversionary assault, they loaded as much as they could (including those slaves that they thought they could hang onto without skimping on other necessities) onto a train and retreated south through the desert. The objective was Moover Line South, a fortress originally built in the early days of the war just on the far bank of the river running along old Equestria's southern border. The reports had indicated that the land around the fort was reasonably fertile, having not really been targeted by either side's megaspells, that the fortress itself still had power, presumably from a functioning reactor, and that it was occupied by no more than some raiders and wild beasts. The train managed to make it through the desert and to the river, where an obstacle was encountered: the movable bridge (design details still uncertain; I think that it's a swing bridge, but I'm not sure; I'm reading a Google book preview on movable bridge engineering at the moment, though) was still in the open position. Red Rose offered a deal to the ponies and living nearby: they could either help out until Moover Line South was taken and the farms were up and running, gaining her forces' protection until that time, or they could be enslaved and help out permanently. They chose the former, the bridge was repaired and closed, the fort was taken, and farms were set up using volunteers, any slaves that could be found, and, to make up the difference, voluntold soldiers; both the Rose Banner and the town of Thornbush were born. Rose Eye, as she now renamed herself, kept her word to the local ponies and has since tried to maintain good relations with them; while it's pretty much universally suspected that she'd like to take them and put them to use, she also either does not want to or does not think that she can afford to gain a reputation as somepony who breaks deals. The Rose Banner also tries to maintain good relations with the Children of the Cathedral, and they don't have much of a problem working with the Alliance. Indeed, considering her origins and technically-another-Red-Eye-warlord current position, Rose Eye is a very reasonable and easy to work with pony. With one exception. It will likely be a very long time, if ever, before the Rose Banner is willing to have non-antagonistic dealings with the NCR, the Followers, the Applejack's Rangers, or any other groups of "LittlePipites", as Rose Eye spittingly calls them. She haaaaaaates LittlePip. Hates her as in "uses her name as a swearword", "has the Rose Banner's firing ranges stocked with pictures of her to use as targets", "makes highly detailed and painted sculptures of her for the express purpose of smashing them to powder", etc. Rose Eye holds that Red Eye was one of the greatest ponies, if not the greatest, to ever live and was the Wasteland's true savior; LittlePip, by contrast, was an idiot kid who tripped over old tech and, blissfully ignorant of how horribly unqualified she was, proceeded to ruin everything. She particularly likes doing her statue-smashing in full view of the Moojave SPP tower (which she wants to blow up). The NCR doesn't much like the Rose Banner either, as, while the Banner's slaves are considered valuable resources and relatively well treated, it is still actively seeking more of them.

If work on the Moojave progresses, I think that this could provide an interesting complication beyond New Vegas. After all, the people of the Mojave may not have liked the NCR much, but they liked Caesar a whole lot less. In the Moojave, the locals are being approached in a genuinely friendly and positive manner from both directions, but siding with either one would still make the other an enemy and put them on the front lines.

re your NCR headcanon:
Neat!

"A side-effect of this is that the NCR can easily know which foreign powers keep reserve of its currency, in which numbers, and where."
This will, of course, discourage foreign powers from keeping reserves of NCR bits unless they block the tracking.

"the Canterlot Ruins and Zebratown"
…Are the piles of rubble really that important?

Where is Junktown? My apologies, but I don't remember you mentioning it before.

I'm starting to come around to your view that Fillydelphia would be in ruins.

You still have Hellhounds at Maripony?

"@ Hinds :

What's your headcanon about Geneighva and Freidrichsorfen ? Do they come from a side-story ? What do the mountains they're surrounded by look like ? And what about that giant lake ?

I may want to exploit them in one of my stories so I need to know if they already have an existing background."
As far as I know, I made them up more or less on the spot. I'm not entirely sure what the mountains and lake look like, but you might want to look into Switzerland and the area around Lake Constance ("Freidrichshorfen" is based on "Freidrichshafen").

"On the other hand, the economic wealth coming from the exploitation of gems in the Maripony area is giving the Hellhounds un-precendented leverage in the Republic's political institutions, which they are using to further their agenda of gaining more autonomy while keeping the full benefit of being a member state of the NCR.

Currently, they are a semi-autonomous polity, with their own code of law regarding internal affairs. Being officially a member state of the NCR, they don't officially have a foreign policy of their own. This doesn't stop them from trading a portion of their production to foreign powers without going through the Department of Trade - a business the Capital is aware of but turn a blind eye to as they see it as a way to keep the peace with both the Hellhounds and the powers in question."
Hm… I wonder how that relates to Hell? Though this may be one area in which our headcanons are incompatible, I have very few hellhounds staying in irradiated Maripony (sure, Gardens fixes that, but no one knew that at the time, and why would Ponyville be needed as a "Hellhound Sanctuary" if there was a functional hellhound community at Maripony). Actually, how do you explain the presence of both the Hellhound Sanctuary at Ponyville at a semi-independent hellhound member state?
I like that both our headcanons seem to have independently developed hellhounds in nice suits smugly dictating NCR policy through economic necessity, though. :)

Last edited by O. Hinds on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 11 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by O. Hinds Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:50 pm

...My, that wall of text looks rather larger now than it did when I was writing it...
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:51 pm

...Sweet mother of headcanon, Batman...
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Unrelated :

http://derpiboo.ru/300216

that is adorable and the people criticizing sweetie's age just don't get it.
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:53 pm

lulz:
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm

RoboRed wrote:
lulz:

WHAT. DOES. ABRAHAM LINCOLN. LOOK. LIKE.?
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Mister Frost wrote:WHAT. DOES. ABRAHAM LINCOLN. LOOK. LIKE.?
Wh-Wh-What?
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:05 pm

@RoboRed:
And that is but ONE SMALL PART of my ENORMOUS HEADCANNON OF DOOM!
…Er, headcanon. Not cannon. Certainly no brain-mounted superweapons here, nope…

Also, it's this book I was referring to, if anyone's interested.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Hm... Or would it be better to wait to repair the bridge and instead make the initial crossing on boats? I'm not sure which would be easier; I suppose that it depends on the exact condition of the bridge and the availability of watercraft. Though rafts could probably be made out of local trees... assuming that the raiders in Moover Line South didn't cause problems... Hm...
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:23 pm

We'll assume, then, that Rose's research included how to make rafts/boats, because few Wastelanders likely knew much about it.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:30 pm

O. Hinds wrote:@RoboRed:
And that is but ONE SMALL PART of my ENORMOUS HEADCANNON OF DOOM!
…Er, headcanon. Not cannon. Certainly no brain-mounted superweapons here, nope…
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/171/1/4/what_i_think_of_when_headcanon_by_ennervateindustries-d548mg0.png
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Mister Frost wrote:We'll assume, then, that Rose's research included how to make rafts/boats, because few Wastelanders likely knew much about it.
...Another good point. Granted, they're only boats to cross a river, and there'd be local ponies helping... but they'd still need to carry a larger load than, say, small fishing boats... Hm... This complicates things further.

swicked wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
swicked wrote:@Hinds
How wide should the .gif be to not be too wide for your screen?
Now that I've made it once, I think I've figured out how to make it much faster a second time.
Please give the width in pixels, too.
You don't have to put yourself out for me. If you want the information, though, I expect that you ought be able to extract all you need from this screenshot.
Spoiler:
...maybe not as helpful as you'd think, but I eyeballed it and came up with this.
I'd kinda like everyone to enjoy it, rather than just me XD

Edit:
Now that I know how to do it, it's not that hard. If anyone ever wants me to try and make one of these out of a youtube video or something, just ask ^_^
That fits.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:59 pm

>Bites Trixie's ankles.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:59 pm

I've my soul secured in my safe-deposit box. Comes in handy when the Geists come along to try and steal it. Good luck, fuckers, it's in Switzerland
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 pm

People, stop posting pictures, the shitty wifi at this hotel I'm staying at can barely handle them!
and on that note, dear god the EQD drawfriend...and I still have deviantart and tumblr updates to catch up on...
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:13 pm

totally just installed winamp for a file, only problem, is the bloody thing is full of speaker pops and its not the speakers, it is the file, I checked with headphones
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:32 pm

@WBC
The best ways to handle the WBC include hiring the Hell's Angels for security at a funeral (because they have just as many lawyers and moneys as the WBC, if not more, and thus can get away with paralyzing a few people with pool cues on accident [sometimes a pool cue just... goes off, you know? They have a hair trigger!]), and organizing a community-building event that involves slashing all their tires and then having no garage in the area accept them as a customer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:@WBC
The best ways to handle the WBC include hiring the Hell's Angels for security at a funeral (because they have just as many lawyers and moneys as the WBC, if not more, and thus can get away with paralyzing a few people with pool cues on accident [sometimes a pool cue just... goes off, you know? They have a hair trigger!]), and organizing a community-building event that involves slashing all their tires and then having no garage in the area accept them as a customer.
So fight fire with not-religious-but-just-as-crazy fire?
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Sounds good to me. Pay assholery unto assholery.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:43 pm

or organize a picket protest about religion interfering with government

in front of their home church

fun:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19662_6-real-planets-that-put-science-fiction-to-shame.html
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:58 am

O. Hinds wrote:
Spoiler:

I've always found that posts this long spark some inspiration pretty easily, so I'm just going to tuck this here until I have time to act on any possible potential. And it's Hinds, so you know it will be good. Hinds: 57 varieties (of headcanon)!

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
- The NCR Bits : The administration of the NCR Bit is directed by the Currency Office of the Department of Economy. A few words on the Bits themselves : each bit is magically enchanted in such a way that an easily learnt identification spell can without any doubt identify a true Bit from a counterfeited one.

Doesn't that more just shift counterfeiting from mundane to magical? Now an enchantment has to be counterfeited along with the actual bit.

(Also find it amusing that pony NCR uses coins. We gonna find out Legionnaires use paper money?)
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:26 am

lulz:
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:26 am

RoboRed wrote:
lulz:
GuyOnTheGround:"Oh you-"
>The airplane crashes into him.
Nelson:"Ha ha!"

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:49 am

@ Hind, two quick points as I'm riding the bus to work :

- Junktown is that settlement of NCR scavengers who are working on dismantling anything of value that they can find in Fillydelphia and the surrounding area, be it pieces of machinery or scrap metal. Being a frontier city and the closest major settlement near San Frantello, it's home to a large army garrison, tasked to protect & control the southern border of the Republic.

- Canterlot Ruins / Zebratown : the ruins themselves are pretty much worthless, the fact that they are still soaked in Pink Cloud making it hard to scavenge anything out of them ; but what is of value is that Zebra settlement which Xenith's daughter became the leader of, and which supply most of the NCR's medical supplies. They also opened their own academy in partnership with the Followers to teach people advanced knowledge of medical science - teaching healing spells is all well and good, but when you're not an unicorn, this is quite limited...
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:24 am

@ Mel : yes, this displace counterfeiting in the domain of magic. Though it would be non-trivial to reproduce the fingerprint enchantment in such a way that the authentication spell could be fooled. The cost of the necessary enchantment would be roughly equal the value of the bit, or even more : only the Currency Office having the processes (kept secret) to enchant coins on an industrial basis.

By the way (random) :

The Currency Office has acquired such a reputation for secrecy (even their public office in the Capital being unadvertised) that a number of people have started to call it...

the Secret Service
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:27 am

RE paper money :

Well, I don't know about Legionnaires, but I have ideas which might involve people (re)discovering the old art of Banking. Spike
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:27 am

RE Maripony Hellhounds :

Well, the place is a well known source of gems, the Gardens cleared the taint & radiations, and most importantly the Hellhounds consider it their home - and everyone knows how territorial they are, and no one want to piss them off if they can avoid it.

The NCR and the Hellhounds came to an agreement regarding the exploitation of the region's natural resources.

Maripony itself, as in the ruins of the Goddess' lair, is sort of a pilgrimage place for the Alicorns, regardless of if they live with the NCR / Followers or chose their own path. There's also a little community of alicorns living in the surrounding area.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:31 am

Though there's a military outpost mear Maripony's ruins. There's a small contingent of scientists there studying the IMP.

(plot idea : they may also have discovered something under the rubble. Something that is still, amazingly enough... alive.)
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:26 am

Meleagridis wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
Spoiler:

I've always found that posts this long spark some inspiration pretty easily, so I'm just going to tuck this here until I have time to act on any possible potential. And it's Hinds, so you know it will be good. Hinds: 57 varieties (of headcanon)!
...Um, thanks. O.o

Meleagridis wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:
- The NCR Bits : The administration of the NCR Bit is directed by the Currency Office of the Department of Economy. A few words on the Bits themselves : each bit is magically enchanted in such a way that an easily learnt identification spell can without any doubt identify a true Bit from a counterfeited one.

Doesn't that more just shift counterfeiting from mundane to magical? Now an enchantment has to be counterfeited along with the actual bit.

(Also find it amusing that pony NCR uses coins. We gonna find out Legionnaires use paper money?)
Hm... I'm not sure if the Remnant or Rose Banner, probably the closest analogues to the Legion (assuming that the Remnant survives long enough; again, not sure what shape they'll be in after PH), use money at all, but it could make sense for them to use paper. :D
Oh, the Alliance, if you were wondering, uses either virtual or plastic currency (No, not plastic as in "debit card", plastic as in coins made out of plastic). Singular ka, plura kae (pronounced "k-aye", roughly; I don't know IPA), first declension in Roaman Zebra.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:@ Hind, two quick points as I'm riding the bus to work :

- Junktown is that settlement of NCR scavengers who are working on dismantling anything of value that they can find in Fillydelphia and the surrounding area, be it pieces of machinery or scrap metal. Being a frontier city and the closest major settlement near San Frantello, it's home to a large army garrison, tasked to protect & control the southern border of the Republic.
Ah, I see.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:- Canterlot Ruins / Zebratown : the ruins themselves are pretty much worthless, the fact that they are still soaked in Pink Cloud making it hard to scavenge anything out of them ; but what is of value is that Zebra settlement which Xenith's daughter became the leader of, and which supply most of the NCR's medical supplies. They also opened their own academy in partnership with the Followers to teach people advanced knowledge of medical science - teaching healing spells is all well and good, but when you're not an unicorn, this is quite limited...
Oh, I think that you might be getting Zebratown confused with Glyphmark (a lot of people seem to do that, for some reason). The former is the town of resettled Equestrian zebras built under Canterlot and later crushed by it; the latter is the still-extant base of the Angels.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:RE Maripony Hellhounds :

Well, the place is a well known source of gems, the Gardens cleared the taint & radiations, and most importantly the Hellhounds consider it their home - and everyone knows how territorial they are, and no one want to piss them off if they can avoid it.

The NCR and the Hellhounds came to an agreement regarding the exploitation of the region's natural resources.
Okay, that makes sense, but again: if they were in such good shape, why did they need an official sanctuary a full ten years after FoE?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:29 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Though there's a military outpost mear Maripony's ruins. There's a small contingent of scientists there studying the IMP.

(plot idea : they may also have discovered something under the rubble. Something that is still, amazingly enough... alive.)
Wait, there's still IMP left? Didn't Gardens clear that out?

Oh, also, are you having Gardens having been so thorough that it shut down even reactors and radiation-using batteries? I recall Ask LittlePip saying that, but I don't know how widespread it is.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 32 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21 ... 32  Next