Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+21
iLateralGX
Quotidian
tylertoon2
Downloaded Skill
Kippershy
IncoherentOrange
CamoBadger
Cptadder
OneMoreDaySK
RoboRed
O. Hinds
Moodyman90
Ironmonger
Caoimhe
Harmony Ltd.
Stringtheory
Frost
Sindri
Ketchup
CannonFodder
Valikdu
25 posters

Page 24 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Ironmonger Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:30 am

Frost, Grimm, and myself got into an RP group over on Fimfiction, and shit is going down. I'm playing as a mecha-lich.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by O. Hinds Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:28 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:Regarding the starter system of the Centnovae, a third possibility has occurred to me: keep the inertial starter (though possibly reposition the opening) and store the hoof crank in the cockpit as an emergency backup, then provide ground crews with pneumatic devices to provide torsion. Same weight and complexity savings, but the planes can be started without a lot of time and personnel consuming crank-turning.
In a mechanic repair shop, there's ALWAYS compressors to power all the tools [*], so why not ?

[*] as a security measure, electric tools are strongly discouraged when working on vehicles (be them cars, trucks or planes), so it is preferred to use either tools moved through the use of compressed air, or tools working on low-voltage batteries.
Aye, and airbases could have either start carts or base pneumatic systems, depending on how permanent the base is. I like this idea. What do you think about moving the starter socket under the plane, though, so that the ground crew doesn't have to stand in the path of the exhaust?

Also, my this thread is random.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:36 am

And such is exactly what I made it for.
Twenty five pages of stuff that would have otherwise been directed to the normal thread, more-or-less.
I'd call that quite the success.

Also, I have no experience in whatever field that would go under, Hinds, but that sounds like a good idea.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 am

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 Creed

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:11 am

Kippershy wrote:And such is exactly what I made it for.
Twenty five pages of stuff that would have otherwise been directed to the normal thread, more-or-less.
I'd call that quite the success.

Also, I have no experience in whatever field that would go under, Hinds, but that sounds like a good idea.
Thank you on both counts. :)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:11 am

Kippershy wrote:So, Assassins Creed IV is set in the pirate side of history.

So Ubisoft cares less about actual piracy than digital piracy, I take it.

([Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 Image-mass-effect-2-characters-edi That was a joke.)
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:41 pm

YTP for Iron:
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:44 pm

RoboRed wrote:
YTP for Iron:
"Dalmation? Fucking inbred."

Seriously though, the ending made that video.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:56 pm

No kidding. God, I was laughing for, like, five straight minutes. That was fucking hilarious.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:13 pm

I feel bad for any of the newbies on the forum who see my posts and end up traumatized. Crazy

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:18 pm

I have the ability to hand out another merci...
Now who deserves it the most, I wonder.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:40 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Aye, and airbases could have either start carts or base pneumatic systems, depending on how permanent the base is. I like this idea. What do you think about moving the starter socket under the plane, though, so that the ground crew doesn't have to stand in the path of the exhaust?
Do you mean the socket on which they'll plug the compressed air tube / electricity cable ? Well, I'm no expert, but I'd guess you want something like that to be :

1/ Easily reachable
2/ Easy to plug AND unplug
3/ As un-hazardous to operate as possible

both point to decrease the time between "planes parked / pilots on the ground" and "pilots in the planes / planes ready to take-off", for maximum reactivity in battlefield condition.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:Aye, and airbases could have either start carts or base pneumatic systems, depending on how permanent the base is. I like this idea. What do you think about moving the starter socket under the plane, though, so that the ground crew doesn't have to stand in the path of the exhaust?
Do you mean the socket on which they'll plug the compressed air tube / electricity cable ? Well, I'm no expert, but I'd guess you want something like that to be :

1/ Easily reachable

both point to decrease the time between "planes parked / pilots on the ground" and "pilots in the planes / planes ready to take-off", for maximum reactivity in battlefield condition.
The air line for a pneumatic starter or the rotation shaft for an inertial starter (an electric starter would run off internal batteries charged earlier). One advantage of the inertial starter, though, now that I think about it, is that the ground crew can spin it up and disengage before the pilot starts the engine, which can't be done with the pneumatic starter. The overwing location the Bf109 uses might be best for the inertial system after all, though, if we were going to go with a pneumatic system, I think that we ought to move the socket further back and/or down (Of course, another thing about a pneumatic system is that it has to have an exhaust, and I'm not sure where to put that.).
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:15 pm

RoboRed wrote:
YTP for Iron:
Okay, I almost died at the end.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:26 pm

O. Hinds wrote:(Of course, another thing about a pneumatic system is that it has to have an exhaust, and I'm not sure where to put that.).
Output it in the engine exhaust ? Or if the airframe isn't airtight, you could just exhaust the spent air inside the airframe and let the pressure equalize through the various cavities in it.

About inertial start thingy : they could be activated by hand as a last resort, but most probably they would have a machine to crank the thing. Something like a pneumatic screwdriver ? Applebloom
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:33 pm

So I've just checked out the trailer for the final DLC for ME3.

I think the normal reaction to what it contains is to say "Are you fucking serious?" and perform a power-headdesk. Like this:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 39003%20-%20animated%20gif%20headpiano%20Hubble%20piano%20scootaloo

I even have a piano at home, so I can perform it in exactly the same way!
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:46 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:

1/ Easily reachable

The air line for a pneumatic starter or the rotation shaft for an inertial starter (an electric starter would run off internal batteries charged earlier). One advantage of the inertial starter, though, now that I think about it, is that the ground crew can spin it up and disengage before the pilot starts the engine, which can't be done with the pneumatic starter. The overwing location the Bf109 uses might be best for the inertial system after all, though, if we were going to go with a pneumatic system, I think that we ought to move the socket further back and/or down (Of course, another thing about a pneumatic system is that it has to have an exhaust, and I'm not sure where to put that.).

Wait, you're telling me that this:

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgb1UXZZk6SH1EImB7fK1D_Ft7gaREqoGHqeH3dcNOlgOo0kvt

Has some of the best designed stuff, in your humble opinion?
Well, can't really disagree with you seeing as they were formidable opponents in the skies and kraut tech was very well designed, but that's quite astonishing to think that even after all these years, you'd think they did the best with that old thing.

Or am I just being a retard here?
I'm being a retard here, no doubt.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:52 pm

You lot just reminded me that I have this.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Valikdu wrote:So I've just checked out the trailer for the final DLC for ME3.

I think the normal reaction to what it contains is to say "Are you fucking serious?" and perform a power-headdesk. Like this:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 39003%20-%20animated%20gif%20headpiano%20Hubble%20piano%20scootaloo

I even have a piano at home, so I can perform it in exactly the same way!
New DLC? *watches trailer*
The fuck?
Seriously?
Okay, shall we start with the part where there is no time during the Reaper was during which shore leave for Shepard is a remotely good idea? Or the fact that he already has a luxurious cabin that isn't tied to one place? How about the part where even Cerberus couldn't keep troops on the Citadel more than a couple hours before being pushed out, and security has been tightened significantly since then? And that's before you even get to the narmtastic dialogue, or the cutscenes in which apparently your entire crew are standing in the open in a line firing rifles instead of using anything resembling tactics or any of their actual abilities...

But seriously, in the highly unlikely event they made it into the station those mooks would be five minutes work for C-sec, maybe twenty seconds for Aria (who was sitting in that bar they smashed into last I checked), and not even require Shepard to put down his drink. He's had better assassins sent after him before he even made Spectre status. Whose idea was this bullshit?
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:26 pm

If I were to guess... Berman and Bra Hudson and Walters?

On a less serious note, I found a thing!
Spoiler:
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:(Of course, another thing about a pneumatic system is that it has to have an exhaust, and I'm not sure where to put that.).
Output it in the engine exhaust ? Or if the airframe isn't airtight, you could just exhaust the spent air inside the airframe and let the pressure equalize through the various cavities in it.
My concern with the former is that it might not be good to connect the two exhaust systems (I'm not sure that it would actually be a problem, but it might be), and my concern with the latter... hm... actually, that might work.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:About inertial start thingy : they could be activated by hand as a last resort, but most probably they would have a machine to crank the thing. Something like a pneumatic screwdriver ? Applebloom
Ah, there appears to have been some confusion; that's what I've been talking about. The options that I'm considering are:
1: An onboard electric starter powered by onboard batteries.
2: An onboard pneumatic starter powered by an off-plane pressure supply or in an emergency by a small tank with a hoofpump.
3: More or less the same inertial starter as that of the Bf109 but with the crank only kept in the cockpit for emergencies; usually, the ground crew would quickly spin up the starter by using a portable powered (probably pneumatically, but maybe the really low-supply missions would have spring-driven ones or something) rotating shaft unit. So yes, basically a pneumatic screwdriver. :)

Kippershy wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:

1/ Easily reachable

Wait, you're telling me that this:

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 24 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgb1UXZZk6SH1EImB7fK1D_Ft7gaREqoGHqeH3dcNOlgOo0kvt

Has some of the best designed stuff, in your humble opinion?
Well, can't really disagree with you seeing as they were formidable opponents in the skies and kraut tech was very well designed, but that's quite astonishing to think that even after all these years, you'd think they did the best with that old thing.

Or am I just being a retard here?
I'm being a retard here, no doubt.
I'm afraid that I don't really get what you mean. Please clarify.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:32 pm

My GOD, people, stop using these fucking "gothic" font, they are next to impossible to read !

=> Everytime I see someone with a tattoo in "gothic" letters, I classify them as "douchebags". it's pretty accurate most of the time.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:36 pm

O. Hinds wrote:I'm afraid that I don't really get what you mean. Please clarify.
Something about "hey man, that plane design is almost 80 years old, don't you think we've come with better ideas since then ?", or something close to it, I'd say.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:40 pm

O. Hinds wrote:My concern with the former is that it might not be good to connect the two exhaust systems (I'm not sure that it would actually be a problem, but it might be)
At the point where you have the spent air exhausting into the engine exhaust, put a no-return pressure valve, so that exhaust fumes don't accidentally come back into the compressed air circuit through the spent air exhaust. I would imagine that the pressure of the spent air exhaust would be superior to that of the engine exhaust, so that shouldn't pose any problem - or am I mistaken on that point ?

Last edited by Harmony Ltd. on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:41 pm

CamoBadger wrote:
It never gets old no matter how many times I watch it. Sweetie Belle
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:I'm afraid that I don't really get what you mean. Please clarify.
Something about "hey man, that plane design is almost 80 years old, don't you think we've come with better ideas since then ?", or something close to it, I'd say.
Eh? Well of course. Even the Pax Roamana had more or less shifted over to the Acinaces (declension may be inaccurate) as its workzebra fighter by the end of the war, I think, and the Alliance uses robot fighters somewhat like the X-36.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:My concern with the former is that it might not be good to connect the two exhaust systems (I'm not sure that it would actually be a problem, but it might be)
At the point where you have the spent air exhausting into the engine exhaust, put a no-return pressure valve, so that exhaust fumes don't accidentally come back into the compressed air circuit through the spent air exhaust. I would imagine that the pressure of the spent air exhaust would be superior to that of the engine exhaust, so that shouldn't pose any problem - or am I mistaken on that point ?
No, that would work, but that valve would be one more moving part and possible failure point.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Is spent compressed air supposed to be exhausted through there during all parts of the flight ? Because if yes, then the simple fact the pressure is higher would mean you just have to work the geometry of the the mixing things such that, naturally, the exhaust fumes from the engines wouldn't go into the spent air exhaust.

Just something simple and geometrical.

Or alternatively, you could just put the spent air exhaust right under/over/in front/behind the engine exhausts on the airframe, because that thing would be tiny anyway.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:56 pm

RoboRed wrote:
CamoBadger wrote:
It never gets old no matter how many times I watch it. Sweetie Belle
The quote that the orange skeleton says is how I greet my family members on the phone. Even my parents.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Is spent compressed air supposed to be exhausted through there during all parts of the flight ? Because if yes, then the simple fact the pressure is higher would mean you just have to work the geometry of the the mixing things such that, naturally, the exhaust fumes from the engines wouldn't go into the spent air exhaust.

Just something simple and geometrical.

Or alternatively, you could just put the spent air exhaust right under/over/in front/behind the engine exhausts on the airframe, because that thing would be tiny anyway.
Oh, no, a pneumatic starter would only run until the engine was firing.

That could work. Do you think that that would be better than the inertial system and the ground crews with pneumatic screwdrivers, though?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next