Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+49
Scienza
Tacoman587
Downloaded Skill
iLateralGX
Luminous Lead
atikin
Veradon Chimera
Caoimhe
Train Dodger
Laperlazus
Thoroar
Stack Trace
FoolNeim
nallar
Vixie
PeppyJoe
joltius
Strawberry
Technowolf
neoaustin
Anonymouss
BLame
Caringhide
Silver136
Vexd
decumos
Evilgidgit
Exodus Hero
Blue Heron
tylertoon2
Vergil
RoboRed
MiniGaunt
Derpmind
Harmony Ltd.
MSCA
FeatherDust
O. Hinds
Icy Shake
SilentCarto
JadedPony
CD
Dekshuduph
Valikdu
Somber
ILM126
WavemasterRyx
Epsilon
Borsuq
53 posters

Page 28 of 31 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 28 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by JadedPony Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:42 pm

swicked wrote:He has a Patreon.
See the footnote of the latest chapter.

Oh, see, I never knew about that. He could put a banner ad for that thing at the bottom of the main page or something.

Something like...
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 28 Patreon_FOE_PH

Last edited by JadedPony on Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : -8

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 28 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Icy Shake Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:55 pm

swicked wrote:
Somber wrote:I stopped in later, and one of the people there told me they really wished I'd been there.  Two of the panelists couldn't make it, and none of them had lots of experience public speaking, so there were lots of 'ums...' and 'ahs...' and dead air.  I don't know if that's true or not, but it's unfortunate.
I remember you saying, when you walked in, everyone just stopped talking.
I wish I'd been there for that Spike
I really think it was better you weren't on that panel, though, even if it turned out a bit of a flop. The panel was for promoting fics and Project Horizons really doesn't need promotion with one chapter left to go. It sounds like the panel just needed a dedicated moderator or something to direct discussion.
If so, it wasn't the only one. I think that having too many community guest panelists and too little moderation was a recurring theme, even if it didn't apply every time.
And yeah, I wish I'd been there for that too.

swicked wrote:It was interesting in parts. I wish Heartshine could have had a panel of her own strictly devoted to analyzing the different mental conditions of each prominent Project Horizons character, explaining which depictions you got right and which ones are hopelessly wrong. If she did a podcast just on that I'd listen to it.

But personally, nothing you said at the panel, Somber, wasn't something I hadn't heard from you before, so I can't really say how interesting it was for anyone else.
Seconded on the Heartshine points. Spending lots of time here, you absorb quite a bit, but her commentary on the psychological aspects and their relation to how they affect people in real life was something new to me. And the Q&A was certainly fun.

Twilightrose42 wrote:Is the fic A Guardian's Tale? The main character in that one is named Aria.
Yes, that's the one. Looks like he has a one-shot, too, and contributed a chapter to the ABCs of FoE anthology. "Pallydan".

Derpmind wrote:The ending chapters of FO:E seemed to have more, well, iffy things (mistakes) than the rest of the story. Really, one of the biggest IMO is showing who some of the Bearers of the Elements are in the epilogues. Considering the stupidly-huge fanfic community that sprung up around FO:E way before it ended, it's a big barrel of wasted potential to not just leave whoever becomes the Bearers up in the air for various writers to tackle. As is, I've never seen a story even try, especially since unless you want to go against cannon *DramaFaint*, you have to make your characters become friends with characters from the original fic.
Agreed. But then, the whole ten years later part was just, well, unnecessary. And let's not forget that unless you'd go against the show by not having an even mix of the three pony races, you'd need only earth ponies for the remaining two, including Magic. Granted, by then you could probably just say you didn't care even more easily than in season one, because batponies had been snubbed, and by season three, crystal ponies as well.

Hmm. Other Everfree things. M. A. Larson's presentation about how scripts change from initial concept to final product sent to the animation studio was pretty good, but it sounds like it's the same thing he does at every con. My first time, so that's not a problem, of course. One of the surprising points was just how late in the game Scootaloo's hero-worship of Rainbow Dash became a feature. That was most of the way through the first season, and practically incidental! Likewise, the amount of stuff that's put in just because the writer thinks it will be cool, that then makes it through to the end. That led into the Producers! panel featuring the directors of FiM, which covered the process from receiving the script to the final episode.

A panel on collaborative writing/shared worlds was pretty interesting to me, but I gather the advice was likely very different from the way PH was actually handled. Hinds might be able to elaborate on or correct that. But of course that'll tend to happen where they were dealing with a shared universe and continuity as opposed to how to make a team function on a single story. There was a panel on writing good song lyrics, which unfortunately seemed to end up mostly as the panelists talking about lyrics and why they liked them or not, rather than how to put words on paper and end up with something good, or at least something you can then make good. But there were some points I liked, such as how to rhyme correctly, avoiding too simple a structure, and paying attention to how much of the song actually has singing in it and whether someone can physically perform the song.

One of the highlights for me was the Sherclop Pones reading of Friendship is Witchcraft episode 10. I found it consistently funny, and it significantly improved Tree Hugger for me. Thought their interpretation of Discord was strong, too. Only problem was is started something like an hour and a half late because the preceding event, the cosplay competition, went well over an hour long.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:24 am

Icy Shake wrote:Hinds might be able to elaborate on or correct that.
I'm not sure what to say about that, sorry. From what I recall, though, yes, that panel was more about shared universes with multiple authors and stories than about multiple people working on a single story. Not entirely about that, but mostly. Though I could be misremembering.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:36 am

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Hinds might be able to elaborate on or correct that.
I'm not sure what to say about that, sorry.  From what I recall, though, yes, that panel was more about shared universes with multiple authors and stories than about multiple people working on a single story.  Not entirely about that, but mostly.  Though I could be misremembering.
Okay, sounds like we remember the same things, then.

Anyway, 73 reminded me of this from way back:
Chapter 24 wrote:“Do you know the Stable Dweller too?” I said with a small grin.

There was a pause.  “Um… yeah.”

“What’s she like?” I asked as I carefully added the mod.  I didn’t want my gun blowing up later because I’d screwed the thing on wrong.

“Well… ah… Blackjack?  You mean you don’t know who she is?”

“Well, no.  It’s not like she gets out east a lot,” I said with a small huff of annoyance.  “I like to imagine her as some big, tough, take-no-shit kind of mare.  Sorta like… did you know Big Macintosh?  You knew Applejack, so you must have…” I said as I wandered into a small medical bay.  Oooh... spare Buck, magical bandages... and dusty but still beautifully lustrous purple healing potions that would really heal!  Goddesses, I hated Enervation.  “That.  That’s what I imagine she’s like.  Big and tough and strong and doesn’t let anything cross her.  She probably dual wields miniguns with missile launchers strapped to them.”  I brightened as I grinned.  “She’s probably got some kind of power armor too.  Like magical super heavy plate that blasts lightning from her horn.  And flies!”  There was a prolonged silence from the little machine.  “Spike?”  I frowned.  From somewhere deep inside the mountain, I thought I heard laughter echoing down the halls.
So, is it just me, or does that sound a lot like Cogjack?

Chapter Seventy Three Running Thoughts:
Chapter Seventy Three Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Seventy Three Editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:55 am

Other chapter editing is a long one today. A lot of it deals with bringing uses of family members (Sister, Brother, etc.) in line with Mom and Mother, making sir/ma'am/madam/miss/mister/missus capitalized only when part of a name, and non-directional quotation marks and apostrophes (at the beginning of chapter 55 . . . I'm finally getting around to that more that half a year after saying I might).
So, questions:
Do you care particularly about the capitalization of "Princess," and if so, how would you want that to work? The same way as any other rank or title, like "General" or "Prince," or should cases related to alicorn princesses be different?
Similarly, "wasteland" and "wastelander" or similar forms. For FoE, they weren't, but the Equestrian Wasteland and things like Wasteland Crusaders and Wasteland Heroine were. Here, it's a mix, strongly balanced toward capitalization in general, equal-ish for forms of "wastelander" specifically.
And there are inconsistencies in stable numbering (e.g. "Stable Twenty-six can’t send us anything this month either" vs. "They attacked Stable 29, where the Applejack’s Rangers have been gathering"). Is that something you want to standardize, and if so, how? One option would be going the original's route, which was to write out all of them except 0 and 101, but that seems like it's be an obnoxious amount to change, and would further hit "99." Another would be to use numerals for everything above 10; or everything above 19 or 20; or everything above 20, excepting multiples of 10. Or something else. Could do numerals for everything, but the prominence of One, Two, and (to a lesser extent) Three in the original might suggest in favor of at least leaving the single digit stables written out.
Other Chapter Editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:37 am

@Icy Shake:
Ah, thank you very much as always.

Icy Shake wrote:Do you care particularly about the capitalization of "Princess," and if so, how would you want that to work? The same way as any other rank or title, like "General" or "Prince," or should cases related to alicorn princesses be different?
"Princess" as a normal, mortal, and secular title is treated as, well, a normal title. "Princess" as in "the Princesses" (meaning Celestia and Luna, if that wasn't clear) is capitalized.

Icy Shake wrote:Similarly, "wasteland" and "wastelander" or similar forms. For FoE, they weren't, but the Equestrian Wasteland and things like Wasteland Crusaders and Wasteland Heroine were. Here, it's a mix, strongly balanced toward capitalization in general, equal-ish for forms of "wastelander" specifically.
"Wasteland" is capitalized when it it's referring to the Wasteland as world with its own rules or when it's short for "Equestrian Wasteland" or the like to describe a geographic area.
"Wastelander"... that I'm afraid I'm not sure about, sorry. Someone from a wasteland, someone from a Wasteland, someone of the Wasteland... It could go either way. Thoughts?

Icy Shake wrote:And there are inconsistencies in stable numbering
Hm... Tricky, yeah... I like your idea of leaving the low numbers written out, though; thanks. Cutting off... At the end of the teens? And I suppose writing out the multiples of ten, too, since that resolves the "Nineteen or Twenty?" question. That sound good?

Icy Shake wrote:I don't think "Dearest" should be capitalized
I've made both changes, but why "Big Brother" but "dearest Sister", if I may ask?

What on Equus happened to the quotation marks and apostrophes at the beginning of 55?

Icy Shake wrote:should "father" in these cases be capitalized?
I don't think so. Why?

Whew. My, that was a rather long Other Chapter Editing, yes.

Icy shake wrote:heavy repetition of "as if", not helped by the other three uses of "as" in the middle sentence and one in the first. Maybe change one or more? Ex, 1st or 3rd to "as though", or 2nd to "like Tenebra in an epileptic fit". Maybe also "flopping as I" to "flopping while I"?
It's now
“No!” Rampage sobbed as she released me and fell on her side, clutching her head and writhing as though in physical pain. I scrambled back as quickly as I could, flopping while I watched the armored mare flail like Tenebra in the midst of an epileptic fit. Her claws raked at her head as if trying to physically scrape

Icy Shake wrote:Color mismatch on Doc Comet
Hm... Right, I'll change the "white stallion"s to "pale pink stallion"s.

Icy Shake wrote:since it sounds like she's proposing the title, should that be in title case: "Dumb Patients Fighting When They Shouldn't"?
Just caplitalized, or are the quotes included?

Icy Shake wrote:also iffy on "hooves" for who I assume is Capricorn
Hm. I'll use "hoof flipper things".

Icy Shake wrote:question: is there something autocorrecting as well as Echo, or did P-21 in the course of this conversation realize that it was someone else making the corrections to the FADE fields, not part of the programming?
I do not know, I am afraid. Somber?

Icy Shake wrote:Less than normal gravity is fun.
No, this area has 1g.
Chapter 72 wrote: I pushed it open and carefully poked my head through; on the other side was a corridor with, right in front of the door, a stretch painted with caution stripes. Signs warned of 'Caution: Weight Increase' and 'Caution: Weight Decrease' with arrows pointing in opposite directions, however that worked, but there was no sign of anything or anyone hostile. I crept out as silently as I was able and made my way down the hall, my weight indeed increasing back to what I was used to on Equus from one end of the caution-painted area to the other.

Icy Shake wrote:And of course moon dust has its effects which are probably not the most desired right now.
In some universes, the moon is made of cheese. Here, it's made of drugs.
And now I'm wondering if it would be profitable to ship them back, providing a motive for lunar mining operations...

Icy Shake wrote:I'm disappointed with whoever designed that system, and the fact that it didn't trigger when the cracking started.
It's wartime Equestrian engineering, and the safety system exists and still works. That's not good enough for you? :)

Icy Shake wrote:The physical properties of the draconequus and its derivatives primarily consist of because fuck you, that's why.
:)

Icy Shake wrote:I suggest "* swoon", with * a two-syllable modifier, preferably a trochee. "Fucking" would work.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by ILM126 Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:24 pm

Alright, came back to check on story. Sees some stuff that suggests a new chapter. Goes to Google Doc, pages loads and it appears to be quite busy.
Scrolls down, finds now new chapter.....
What's causing all that traffic then?
ILM126
ILM126
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 15

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://ilm126.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StormyDasherGames Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:46 pm

Luna Hmm....I wonder if somber will put it on fimfiction....
StormyDasherGames
StormyDasherGames
Blank Flank

Brohoof! : 0

Character List:
Name: StormyDasher
Sex: Mare/Female
Species: Pegasus Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:40 pm

Icy Shake wrote:Anyway, 73 reminded me of this from way back:
Chapter 24 wrote:“Do you know the Stable Dweller too?” I said with a small grin.

“What’s she like?” I asked as I carefully added the mod.  I didn’t want my gun blowing up later because I’d screwed the thing on wrong.

“Well, no.  It’s not like she gets out east a lot,” I said with a small huff of annoyance.  “I like to imagine her as some big, tough, take-no-shit kind of mare.  Sorta like… did you know Big Macintosh?  You knew Applejack, so you must have…” I said as I wandered into a small medical bay.  Oooh... spare Buck, magical bandages... and dusty but still beautifully lustrous purple healing potions that would really heal!  Goddesses, I hated Enervation.  “That.  That’s what I imagine she’s like.  Big and tough and strong and doesn’t let anything cross her.  She probably dual wields miniguns with missile launchers strapped to them.”  I brightened as I grinned.  “She’s probably got some kind of power armor too.  Like magical super heavy plate that blasts lightning from her horn.  And flies!”  There was a prolonged silence from the little machine.  “Spike?”  I frowned.  From somewhere deep inside the mountain, I thought I heard laughter echoing down the halls.

*Cough*:

Source. (I disagree. Cogjack's nowhere near that.)
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:36 am

FeatherDust wrote:But maybe more important even than just being inspiring.  Song is an aspect of Harmony, and so anathema to the Eater.  I kind of think a shared musical number is the common pony's small way of tapping into the power of the Elements.

In fact, speaking of which, there was a weird moment when Whisper fell after being shot.  She was surrounded by Brood, and:
"Shhh," the Brood said as one... except for a few who wore strange, confused frowns as they watched the scene.

The Brood are a lot of things, but confused is not one of them.  It's almost like the song was screwing with their control signals or something!
Or possibly they've grown enough of a soul to be touched by it, yeah. Very interesting.

I was listening to the Rainbow Rocks soundtrack yesterday, and I came up with a threory that it was the involvement of Equestrians -- Twilight, then Sunset Shimmer -- that allowed them to synchronize songs like that without any setup or planning.

Somber wrote:There was a little wrinkle.  Some 4chan folk thought that I was going to turn the panel into a Somber is the greatest pony and Horizons is the best fic ever panel
I... what... don't even.... Did they just fall into our universe through a magic mirror or something?!

Somber wrote:I was in a private meeting with Jay Thessiens and Jim Miller, directors of MLP, and there was a schedual conflict.
At this point, I could write all kinds of conspiracy theories about an FOE movie being in the works.

Somber wrote:Oh!  The meeting with the directors was very instructive.
A likely story!

Icy Shake wrote:But then, the whole ten years later part was just, well, unnecessary. And let's not forget that unless you'd go against the show by not having an even mix of the three pony races, you'd need only earth ponies for the remaining two, including Magic.
Well, I'm actually okay with having an earth pony for Magic, thanks to the aforementioned Celestia referring to its virtue as Leadership.

We've only ever seen a unicorn (or alicorn) directing the Elements, but the Elements aren't specialized to unicorn magic; it's only thanks to Tirek we have absolute canon confirmation that magic is in all ponies, not just unicorns. Unicorns are simply used to dealing with magic by projecting it as spells, so maybe Celestia and Twilight just instinctively shaped the Elements' power output in that way. I could see other possibilities. Considering that the Elements reshaped into (apparently functional) technological devices after being used to power yet another technological device, I could buy an earth pony who used technology and computers to harness and direct their effects. (Need to blast a baddie? "Hang on, I've got a beam pistol here, just need to switch over the power feeds and reinforce the chamber...")

It seems to me, also, that an earth pony would be particularly suited to dumping that energy into the land when the big challenge is cleaning up and revitalizing the natural world. It would be interesting to see the new Bearers traveling around, establishing little super-fertile zones to kickstart agriculture.

Maybe with a pegasus in charge, you'd see a lot of rainbow lightning bolts and healing rains and wide-area weather control.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:58 am

O. Hinds wrote:"Princess" as a normal, mortal, and secular title is treated as, well, a normal title. "Princess" as in "the Princesses" (meaning Celestia and Luna, if that wasn't clear) is capitalized.
So basically the same way you capitalize "God" when talking about the Judeo-Christian deity, but not when talking about the Greek god Zeus.

O. Hinds wrote:"Wastelander"... that I'm afraid I'm not sure about, sorry.  Someone from a wasteland, someone from a Wasteland, someone of the Wasteland...  It could go either way.  Thoughts?
It can go either way. It depends on whether you're using "wastelander" in the same sense as "urbanite" (one who is skilled at surviving in wasteland areas) or in the same sense as "American" (a resident of the Equestrian Wasteland). So it would be a "Wastelander" when compared to an Enclave pony or Remnant zebra, but a "wastelander" when compared to a farmer, serf, or resident of Tenpony Tower.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:01 am

SilentCarto wrote:So basically the same way you capitalize "God" when talking about the Judeo-Christian deity, but not when talking about the Greek god Zeus.
That sort of thing, yes.

SilentCarto wrote:It can go either way. It depends on whether you're using "wastelander" in the same sense as "urbanite" (one who is skilled at surviving in wasteland areas) or in the same sense as "American" (a resident of the Equestrian Wasteland). So it would be a "Wastelander" when compared to an Enclave pony or Remnant zebra, but a "wastelander" when compared to a farmer, serf, or resident of Tenpony Tower.
Ah, thanks.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:30 pm

For those interested in EFNW things, here's the Fallout Equestria Side Stories panel audio. Sadly, as far as I know the recording from the Fallout Equestria panel (the one Somber and Heartshine were on) still hasn't shown up anywhere.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:01 am

Some one in Reddit said they knew who took the video though.  I contacted his tumblr but haven't gotten a reply yet.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Tacoman587 Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:40 pm

The quest for the mysterious EFNW audio recording continues. But who was this strange hero who recorded it all? Find out next week on the PH discussion thread!
Tacoman587
Tacoman587
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:05 pm

A recording has surfaced!  Thanks to pencil guy http://itspencilguy.tumblr.com/ here is a camera recording of most of the panel!  Now you can all hear how much I suck butt!  https://www.dailymotion.com/daviddavidson177  Also, thanks to this guy for making the recording in the first place.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Back to top Go down

Post by Tacoman587 Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:07 pm

I listened to it and it was pretty sweet, although half way through I was wondering if we were going to see more than Somber's right arm, hehe. Thanks for doing the panel Somber and for finding that guy's recording! Also, thanks to that guy who did it if he ever sees this. 

Now we just need Somber to come to Canada for a panel or two....
Tacoman587
Tacoman587
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:45 pm

You can even see the camera I saw when I was there on its tripod. What happened to that recording, I wonder? Still, this is certainly better than nothing, I think.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:17 am

Derpmind wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Anyway, 73 reminded me of this from way back:

*Cough*:

Source. (I disagree. Cogjack's nowhere near that.)
Fun, and I certainly love the picture, but it's not really what's described, more of an exaggeration for effect. In contrast, chapter 65 suggests Cogjack may have grown larger following the addition of Luna's soul, and Cognitum used lightning from her horn to intimidate the people there at the time. Power armor, check. Flies. Shot down both Big Daddy and Rampage when they stood against her. The big difference is that she uses energy-based guns mounted to floating pods. And she seems to have changed from lightning to rays between 65 and 73 or 74.

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:And there are inconsistencies in stable numbering
Hm...  Tricky, yeah...  I like your idea of leaving the low numbers written out, though; thanks.  Cutting off...  At the end of the teens?  And I suppose writing out the multiples of ten, too, since that resolves the "Nineteen or Twenty?" question.  That sound good?
I'm fine with that.

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:I don't think "Dearest" should be capitalized
I've made both changes, but why "Big Brother" but "dearest Sister", if I may ask?
That one's basically a gut check related to my perception of how closely bound the modifier is.

O. Hinds wrote:What on Equus happened to the quotation marks and apostrophes at the beginning of 55?
My best guess would be either pasting in large amounts from another program or extensive editing of existing text which moved or added new quotation marks but add new spaces or punctuation. But I really don't know.

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:since it sounds like she's proposing the title, should that be in title case: "Dumb Patients Fighting When They Shouldn't"?
Just caplitalized, or are the quotes included?
Just capitalized, since generally speaking titles haven't included punctuation or formatting.

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:I'm disappointed with whoever designed that system, and the fact that it didn't trigger when the cracking started.
It's wartime Equestrian engineering, and the safety system exists and still works.  That's not good enough for you?  :)
If I were confident that it had been well designed and simply failed due to the passage of time, then sure. But given wartime Equestrian engineering and the longevity of things in the setting, it's quite likely that reacting before catastrophic failure occurs wasn't designed in at all. Which wouldn't be good enough for me, no.

Chapter Seventy Four Running Thoughts:
Chapter Seventy Four Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Seventy Four Editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:42 am

@Icy Shake:
Ah, thank you very much as always.

Icy Shake wrote:That one's basically a gut check related to my perception of how closely bound the modifier is.
Ah, okay; thanks.

Icy Shake wrote:My best guess would be either pasting in large amounts from another program or extensive editing of existing text which moved or added new quotation marks but add new spaces or punctuation. But I really don't know.
[shrugs]

Icy Shake wrote:Just capitalized, since generally speaking titles haven't included punctuation or formatting.
Thanks.

Icy Shake wrote:But given wartime Equestrian engineering and the longevity of things in the setting, it's quite likely that reacting before catastrophic failure occurs wasn't designed in at all. Which wouldn't be good enough for me, no.
Hey now, "catastrophic" is kind of a strong word. I mean, only two people ended up outside in hard vacuum, and they weren't supposed to be doing what they were doing anyway! Next you'll be whining about "safety railings" for high catwalks, honestly...
(But yeah. Reacting before the window broke would definitely be preferable.)

Icy Shake wrote:I think this "princess" should be capitalized
Not sure why she's referred to as a unicorn there either (Blackjack's old body?), but eh.

Icy Shake wrote:"halt"
Also "the Scotch" to just "Scotch". :)

Icy Shake wrote:One death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic. Gotta know your audience, Tom, and this won't play with the one you've chosen.
Hm. Interesting relation with the Civlization comparison you made earlier. On a human scale, one death is tragic, but millions are so large that they're hard to even comprehend. On the scale of a player of Civlization, one death is pretty much invisible (unless, in some games, it was someone very important), but millions are a readily apparent and possible very damaging loss.

Icy Shake wrote:This pun is so much better than it should be.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:30 am

Sigh, sorry everypony, looks like the final chapter is going to be delayed even more.  At this point it'll either be two chapters or an A and B chapter, because I fucking suck.  Sorry.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:32 am

Hey, the longer the better in my opinion. More to read.
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 24

Character List:
Name: Silver Shroud
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by Tacoman587 Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:37 pm

The ride never ends Crazy
Tacoman587
Tacoman587
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:31 pm

Somber wrote:Sigh, sorry everypony, looks like the final chapter is going to be delayed even more.  At this point it'll either be two chapters or an A and B chapter, because I fucking suck.  Sorry.
*nuzzles slowly* It'll be okay, sir, just take the time you need to.  Rushed endings are a terrible injustice to any story...
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:31 am

Sorry, Somber.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by joltius Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:14 pm

Somber wrote:Sigh, sorry everypony, looks like the final chapter is going to be delayed even more.  At this point it'll either be two chapters or an A and B chapter, because I fucking suck.  Sorry.
I think it's better split on part 1 and part 2.
joltius
joltius
Colt/Filly

Character List:
Name: Joltius Aurelian the Word Bearer
Species: Astartes

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:41 pm

WavemasterRyx wrote:It'll be okay, sir, just take the time you need to.  Rushed endings are a terrible injustice to any story...
Upvote! Like! Retweet! Reblog! The ending is the most delicate part of a story; it can't survive being packed into too small a box. A slightly-too-large box with a little excess padding never hurt anything, though.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:23 am

SilentCarto wrote:
WavemasterRyx wrote:It'll be okay, sir, just take the time you need to.  Rushed endings are a terrible injustice to any story...
Upvote! Like! Retweet! Reblog! The ending is the most delicate part of a story; it can't survive being packed into too small a box. A slightly-too-large box with a little excess padding never hurt anything, though.
Agreed! Honestly, I wasn't surprised that there ended up being two chapters on the moon, for a similar reason as here. Yes, there's only one big plot point left, but there are dots along the way that need to, or at least should be, connected first, and given enough space to set the mood. And hey, moon to trip back to final battle on the ground in six instead of three chapters/parts is still closer to target than . . . was it Hippocratic that was meant to be one, but ended up three or four? I feel like that something along those lines was said at some point.

Slightly OT, but I hope that, à la Fallout: Equestria, a fuller understanding of Blackjack's cutie mark event fits in and ties some things together sometime around the climax. Could even see it being a thing where Luna's soul is relevant in making that happen, given that it seems like she may have been suppressing it, or remembers it as though she was in a fugue, or there's otherwise something of a lacuna there, the causes for which might be sidestepped by the soul switch.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:24 pm

Icy Shake wrote:Slightly OT, but I hope that, à la Fallout: Equestria, a fuller understanding of Blackjack's cutie mark event fits in and ties some things together sometime around the climax. Could even see it being a thing where Luna's soul is relevant in making that happen, given that it seems like she may have been suppressing it, or remembers it as though she was in a fugue, or there's otherwise something of a lacuna there, the causes for which might be sidestepped by the soul switch.
Very much agree with this, too.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by FoolNeim Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:59 am

I had a random question about the chapter number:
Is there much of a point to keeping things at exactly 76 Chapters? I'm guessing after 76 part 2 + Epilogue come out, there will be at a brief final period of revision before the story gets set in stone.

Maybe it would be better to have exactly 15-16 chapters per Volume? It's actually pretty nice how the chapter lengths don't vary a whole lot, and neither do the volume lengths (although I would think with the final chapter, there can be more flexibility).

Right now there are two double chapters, and apparently chapter 76 will be another.

Maybe just renumber the chapters and rename the Part 2s to make it 79 officially? Seems like it'd be a pretty easy thing to implement.
FoolNeim
FoolNeim
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 31 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next