Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+17
Tytan
Harmony Ltd.
Frost
Epsilon
Kattlarv
Downloaded Skill
Valikdu
Bootleg
Twilightwolf4
Ketchup
Icy Shake
O. Hinds
Ironmonger
iLateralGX
StoneSlinger88
Whiskey Rebellion
Vinylshadow
21 posters

Page 22 of 31 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 31  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 22 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Frost Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:52 am

You just don't get it, cispartan scum

Really, though, the IV's, by what history would suggest, would make better soldiers realistically. Much like the Romans had the benefit of merging a mostly-volunteer force's morale and varied skillsets with strict training and discipline--or the modern US Army's melting-pot of backgrounds coming together in an operational environment that encourages using fighting doctrine and precedents as suggestions at best--the IV's would be more creative and less predictable than their predecessors, as well as having the little-known benefit of having actual, real-world common sense as opposed to what the military would consider common sense--a very, very key distinction. They might not have the machine-like precision or mental-trauma-induced ferocity that their predecessors would have, but, long-term, they'd be a superior force.

Last edited by Frost on Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 22 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Tytan Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:58 am

Frost wrote:You just don't get it, cispartan scum

Really, though, the IV's, by what history would suggest, would make better soldiers realistically. Much like the Romans had the benefit of merging a mostly-volunteer force's morale and varied skillsets with strit training and discipline--or the modern US Army's melting-pot of backgrounds coming together in an operational environment that encourages using fighting doctrine and precedents as suggestions at best--the IV's would be more creative and less predictable than their predecessors, as well as having the little-known benefit of having actual, real-world common sense as opposed to what the military would consider common sense--a very, very key distinction. They might not have the machine-like precision or mental-trauma-induced ferocity that their predecessors would have, but, long-term, they'd be a superior force.

I'd argue that they could never hope to work as well as a team as either of their predecessors. In fact, that was the plot of the first comic featuring them.

In one of the novels it was said that the II's worked so well together and knew one another so well that they were described as being nigh-telepathic.

At the end of the comic the IV's were just barely capable of working together well enough to take on some fucking unarmored pirates.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:07 am

Bruh, if you can hammer 200 rock-munchingly retarded 19-year-old civilians into something that resembles a real Infantry company in a few months, you can probably get a group of veteran frontline/special forces troops working together smoothly pretty damn fast. That's something that the comic writers usually miss out on, though the more mainline canon materials get better--between the fact that they're all professional soldiers and that the alternative is getting shot in the goddamn face, even new, raw units tend to end up coordinating and working out their differences in a rather expeditious manner
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:18 am

Even so. I'd say on the hierarchy of Spartans the Spartan I's could take the III's on one to one. The II's could take III's on roughly ten to one.

The IV's on the other hand. One on one they could probably take a II for a few minutes. As a team I could see that being a knock down drag out brawl. But I'd still put my money on the II's.

In the end I think the critical difference between the II's and the IV's is their training. Much like the Spartans of Greece the II's were trained from childhood. They operate on instinct.

Edit: Yes I realize the IV's probably do to, but like I said the II's have been training so long soldiering must come as easily as walking and talking.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:22 am

But, as my original point was, all the training in the world is gonna start fucking you up if your opponent starts thinking way outside the box and you've got no idea how to counter it.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:27 am

Like I said. It'd be close, but the II's would probably win. The II's are walking tanks with special forces training. The IV's are special forces too, but they've got   a quarter the experience of the average II, individually aren't as tough as a II, and while I don't know for certain I'm pretty sure their Mjolnir isn't quite what the II's used.

Edit: And don't forget. An integral part of the II's training was learning to think outside the box.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:38 am

The II's were shown to have a tremendous amount of creativity and intuition during their war-games and actual battles, not to mention decades of experience.

Also, I've apparently been giving cook duties at work. Getting the ServeSafe thing done too, which is making me realize as I read through the study guide holy shit how have we not been shut down yet.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:41 am

StoneSlinger88 wrote:The II's were shown to have a tremendous amount of creativity and intuition during their war-games and actual battles, not to mention decades of experience.

Also, I've apparently been giving cook duties at work. Getting the ServeSafe thing done too, which is making me realize as I read through the study guide holy shit how have we not been shut down yet.
Welcome to food service, never go back into the kitchen...
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:43 am

Tytan wrote:Edit: And don't forget. An integral part of the II's training was learning to think outside the box.
I probably just have forgotten that, yeah. 

the GEN2 armor, though, was way better than anything the II's were issued in their heyday.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:48 am

They wouldn't have the same strength enhances though. The II's were the only ones that could handle it without breaking their everything. I'm pretty sure the IV's were augmented the same was as the III's. Sans psychosis.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:09 am

The IV's, physically, were somewhere between II and III (notable most simply by the fact that they're taller than the baseline-human-height III's but shorter than the II's) and the new armor itself was improved such that it could be worn by less-augmented people without danger.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:17 am

Unrelated, but was anyone else, while watching Frozen, expecting Elsa to get a knock on the front door of her ice castle, and it's Paarthurnax coming off that mountain she's next to to tell her to get off his lawn and shut the fuck up because he's trying to meditate?
brought on by this:
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:26 am

Cool short movie: https://youtu.be/gryenlQKTbE
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:00 am

if it's not setup..just wow:
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:21 am

Frost wrote:You just don't get it, cispartan scum

Really, though, the IV's, by what history would suggest, would make better soldiers realistically. Much like the Romans had the benefit of merging a mostly-volunteer force's morale and varied skillsets with strict training and discipline--or the modern US Army's melting-pot of backgrounds coming together in an operational environment that encourages using fighting doctrine and precedents as suggestions at best--the IV's would be more creative and less predictable than their predecessors, as well as having the little-known benefit of having actual, real-world common sense as opposed to what the military would consider common sense--a very, very key distinction. They might not have the machine-like precision or mental-trauma-induced ferocity that their predecessors would have, but, long-term, they'd be a superior force.
Aye, especially when you look at the pools of candidates that the IV's are drawn from. The II's at least had a relatively normal childhood before being abducted, but the III's are drawn from Covenant War orphans. They were intended to be fire-and-forget targeted weapons, and so they were intentionally drawn from kids who were very damaged.

There's also the advantage that all surviving II's and III's automatically became IV's, which means that they can provide their teammates with the training and skillsets that they picked up from being sexy armored gods of war. It also means that there are teams like Blue (and presumably Gray) which are still kicking ass and taking names with the knowledge that there's a whole army of Spartans ready to back them up
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:44 am

It's a direct parallel to the modern US Army--we're first taught the """"""right way""""" (the doctrinal way) then whatever NCO is conducting the training will teach the guys his prefered way of, say, clearing a room or attacking another squad in a given terrain. From there, we're actively encouraged to adopt what we like from the different methods we're taught and to be able to flex the technique to our environment--other militaries we train with note that Americans are hard to plan against and adapt to precisely because any fifty given units have fifty different ways to skin the same cat, from training on the new guys' part and varied experiences on the old guys' part.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:00 am

While I can't really attest to whether the IV's are stronger or faster than the II's, I will concede that they will last longer.

The II's and III's were limited in that they had to both find genetically viable candidates, but they also had to be children.

I might be remembering wrong, but I believe anyone can be a IV.

@Frost: The training the II's received often involved being thrown curve balls. Two examples being having half their equipment sabotaged during scuba training and being fired on with paintball guns while drilling on the parade grounds.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:19 am

Well, the obvious solution to the former is to just stay above the water. If they ask why you're not doing the mission underwater, just tell them that your fancy-ass augmentations were too cheap for waterbreathing. In the latter, one simply looks for that one really fucking tall guy that's in every company and use him as a shield. Ride him as your steed, if you must. That is, of course, if you're actually there. Drill days are the perfect time to have an appointment with housing or run over to S-1 to get your ERB fixed--and, "strangely", take the rest of the day to do this roughly one-hour-long task.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:13 pm

So, today I decided to try something different at the place I usually eat to, and chose pasta with shrimps. It was pretty good.

sitting on the toilet seat in pain, reflecting on my life and the errors of my way.

... I think I'll be sticking to the pizza margharita from now on, though...
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:24 pm

Try Carbonara It's delicious.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:33 pm

It's actually one of the few pasta sauces I don't like. Too fat, and I'm not a fan of the egg.

Salmon with cream and lemon juice, though, that's something I can get behind wholestomachely.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:47 pm

I hate fish/sea food pizzas...they make me sick.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:41 pm

yum shrimps
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:26 pm

Barbecue sauce on a pizza. Makes me feel like a godless heathen, but it's pretty damn tasty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:46 pm

Yeah, I sometimes lose all respect for myself, too, Cobalt.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:53 pm

Ain't nothing wrong with being a godless heathen.

Addendum, though, it's not replacing the tomato sauce. It's just splashed on top, preferably with meat. A strong addition to American cuisine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:24 pm

The mere thought of such a dish makes my tongue tingle and recoil in overwhelmed, confused horror. It's American in much the same way the corruption on Wall Street is American--it's just our local version of a humanity-wide plague on the senses.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:28 pm

American the way deep-fried butter is American. Inventive, yet idiotic. Decadent, yet tasteless.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:38 pm

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:American the way deep-fried butter is American. Inventive, yet idiotic. Decadent, yet tasteless.

I prefer my barbecue sauce on cold, leftover pizza. And I find that to be an oddly compelling metaphor.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:39 pm

Did you just invent The Great Gatsby; Dinner Edition?
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 31 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 31  Next