Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+18
brony all alone
iLateralGX
Scyto Harmony
Katarn
StoneSlinger88
Cptadder
Kattlarv
Scienza
Ironmonger
Valikdu
O. Hinds
Harmony Ltd.
Tytan
Frost
Stringtheory
Moodyman90
RoboRed
OneMoreDaySK
22 posters

Page 2 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 1:06 am

@Last
To me, the trailer looked a lot more like "Okay, Resi4 was a fantastic game, but remember that early gameplay concept of it that had the scarier stuff, the more intense enemy interactions, the... creepy dolls? Well, we have the hardware to do that, now, so let's learn from what worked in 4 and what didn't, and make a spiritual sequel." So, aye, I'm looking forward to it. But not in terms of oldschool RE, though. RE4 was not the scariest game ever, but the first half was extraordinarily intense and it definitely had plenty of panic and scares in it.

@Speaking of horror...
Finale of Hannibal, season 2 aired. God, I love this show. As a fan of the books, I must say that it feels like this captured better than any of the films the actual feel of the source material; its divergences from the actual plot of the books keeps things fresh; and wherever it goes with the third season (potentially far afield from the premise Red Dragon set up, which technically hasn't even started yet), it's done a damn fine job with the first two. And I love the little nods to the movies and books it makes, referencing lines and scenes but almost always with a twist - almost nothing is ever taken verbatim, and nothing feels out of place or unnecessary.

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 1:13 am

Well, I wouldn't complain about getting an RE4-like game.

Is Hannibal by chance available on netflix? I could stand to have another show to watch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 2:11 am

Last wrote:Well, I wouldn't complain about getting an RE4-like game.

Is Hannibal by chance available on netflix? I could stand to have another show to watch.
I don't think it is, sadly. There are two episodes up on Hulu and the NBC website, but they're in late season two, soooooo yeah. Websites of questionable moral legitimacy, of course, have all episodes available.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat May 24, 2014 12:48 pm

Interesting:

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat May 24, 2014 1:49 pm

So, we can basically sum up the concept of reparations by saying that it's based around treating people differently --and, in fact, punishing them --for actions not their own, on account of their skin color. 

Perfect way to fix racism.
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat May 24, 2014 2:15 pm

Haven't finished reading it yeg. But so far it describes just how much early america owes its economic and political power from slavery; and just how systemically since the early days of the Colonies and forward to the current day, even with the abolition of slavery and later secregation, Black people have been discriminated against, and robed, of their labor, money, hopes, dreams and even families.

By making this account, the article attempts to show how necessary it is for the United States to not only work on collectively recognizing the situation in which Black americans are in, but also to work on making amend and offering reparations (of which the article so far says "each attempt at trying to discuss their nature has been shut down before they could even take place").
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat May 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Mister Frost wrote:So, we can basically sum up the concept of reparations by saying that it's based around treating people differently --and, in fact, punishing them --for actions not their own, on account of their skin color. 

Perfect way to fix racism.
Huh, have you, like, read the article?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Sat May 24, 2014 2:26 pm

Lastbait:
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 3:06 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Interesting:

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

I tried reading it. I really did. But halfway through and no mention of any form of solution kinda made me want to go away. And I mean a real solution. A plan. Not just reparations and no definition for what that actually means. And given what I read so far I really don't believe this article is going to give one.

Last edited by Last on Sat May 24, 2014 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sat May 24, 2014 5:04 pm

swickedbait:
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat May 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Last wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:Interesting:

I tried reading it. I really did. But halfway through and no mention of any form of solution kinda made me want to go away. And I mean a real solution. A plan. Not just reparations and no definition for what that actually means. And given what I read so far I really don't believe this article is going to give one.
Well, then, read it to the end. Maybe you'll find what you seek?

I'm not going to do a TL;DR version of that.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sat May 24, 2014 6:59 pm

another swickedbait:
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat May 24, 2014 7:02 pm

The whole article was a pathos-based sob story rather than any sort of coherent plan of (inherently flawed) action, so I think I'll bow out of further discussion of that horseshit.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattlarv Sat May 24, 2014 7:44 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:I would know that Swicked's favorite is LSP. I did go and get a collection of reaction pics for his reviews. Wasn't it because you actually wished for that on Corrupt a Wish thread?
And yes, that was a reference to the original Bioshock. Loved playing that game. Wrench everything, even the Big Daddies.

Also, do you agree that Vigors were shoved into Bioshock Infinity as an artifact element of gameplay? I really don't see anyone other than yourself and the occasional rare mob use them, and it has absolutely zero impact on the story. Whereas ADAM, EVE, and plasmids were a defining characteristic of why Rapture was in that particular state.
Swicked likes Lumpy Space Princess? :P

@EP: Erf... seeing a person that made a more or less half-assed attempt to cash in on the mlp craze with some odd elves with name calling, release a follow up of equally poor quality, while speaking as if they did improve shit, makes me rather sad... You can't ex: make a action movie about killing black people, (cuz dey evil) and say it ïs a romance movie with strong empowering messages for said black people... it doesn't work that way. If you make a crappy b action movie, it IS a crappy b action movie. The script doesn't magically turn better than "cliché tropes" just because you say they do..

And again: Need advice if I should go to Pony Fiction Archive or Archiveofourown. Along with how to present the story. I need to tell it's a translated version, but I cannot tell it a translated version, as that'd get me biased feedback. Wat do? I just want honest feedback on it.
Kattlarv
Kattlarv
Hydra

Brohoof! : 27

Character List:
Name: Dewflower
Sex: Female-ish
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 8:06 pm

@Reparations
The solution is simple(ish), but contrary to Conservative values; however, the problem itself also only exists when looking at it in Conservative terms. Effectively, the problem: black families have been oppressed for a damn long time, and as such the average black person today has fewer opportunities than the average white person because of inequalities carried over from their ancestors. So, even if racism was dead today, the fact that the past is never dead (nor is it even past, according to Faulkner) means that by and large, black people still suffer from the fallout of past racism.

Now, in a social democracy, this would not be nearly as problematic, because welfare nets would work to correct lack of opportunity and the like to within acceptable parameters. However, we don't live in one of those. What I meant when I said the problem is a conservative one is that capitalism/libertarianism/bootstrappism relies on the idea of free competition between individuals. Ancestral accumulations of advantage and wealth stagnates that competition, kills it - right now, white have a competitive edge simply from having been born that way. Without some sort of fantastical societal reset, the ideal of free competition is a farce. For a metaphor: if you accept that people must pull themselves up by their own bootstraps, the issue is that some people have bootstraps, and others don't.

So: you don't need reparations (which, to my mind, are an attempt at pushing the "societal reset button") - you need programs to make sure a country's worst-off citizens are given ample opportunities to work themselves out of poverty, and to live in places where their kids aren't apt to be killed in a random drive-by. Some people are born into these things; others are not - and at this point, we are not just talking about blacks and whites. Of course, these programs are not things any breed of conservative can get behind (AFAIK - social conservatives are kind of mysterious to me, because so much of their reasoning relies on "someone told me Jesus would want this"); thus, we come to an impasse.

That's my take, anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat May 24, 2014 8:15 pm

Although one could argue that Sorry, I can't hear you over the sounds of me trying to avoid getting dragged into a prolonged socioeconomic debate. 

This segue brought to you by the letter 12. 

I had Hooters for the first time (I've always stuck to local wing joints for my chikkin fixes) and I must remark that the wings were subpar and the ladies were dressed in a scandalous manner that offended my delicate sensibilities. Also they all had retarded fucking southern accents that reminded me, just when I shoved it out of my head, that I'm trapped in the goddamn asshole of Georgia, itself the goddamn asshole of America (which is, at best, the pimply, hairy back of the civilized world)
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sat May 24, 2014 8:17 pm

There is such a thing as law of the grandfather.  As in there is only so many generations you can reasonably put blame down the line.  For example if my father owns slaves and I profit from the big house he made them build then it makes sense to hit my estate up for reparations.

What about if it's not Slave Owner Dad but slave owner Grandfather?  It's a harder case but it can still be made that my father benefited and lived with Slaver Grandpa and I turn directly benefited from that.  But what about Slaver Great Grand father?  It's quite possible my father and his grandfather never met each other and very likely I never met my great grandfather.

Which brings me to the point that reparations traditional pass once your three generations away from the incident in questions provided it's not ongoing.  Example something that's ongoing would be a farmer in Gaza who was pushed out decades ago by security forces and who's land is currently a shopping mall instead of a farm.  That's ongoing, while something like the Yugolsavia ethnic cleansing or Rwandan genocide.

Mister Frost wrote:

I had Hooters for the first time (I've always stuck to local wing joints for my chikkin fixes) and I must remark that the wings were subpar and the ladies were dressed in a scandalous manner that offended my delicate sensibilities. Also they all had retarded fucking southern accents that reminded me, just when I shoved it out of my head, that I'm trapped in the goddamn asshole of Georgia, itself the goddamn asshole of America (which is, at best, the pimply, hairy back of the civilized world)
Aww sounds like you need a vacation to the traditional mecca of higher learning and American tolerance....
Mississippi!

Bet you thought I was going to say Detroit.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Sat May 24, 2014 8:27 pm

I take offense to that Frost. Alabama is WAY worst than Georgia. 

Pretty sure that's the unofficial state motto "At least we're better than Alabama!"
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat May 24, 2014 8:35 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:I take offense to that Frost. Alabama is WAY worst than Georgia. 

Pretty sure that's the unofficial state motto "At least we're better than Alabama!"
On the plus side, at least I'm getting stationed in El Paso, where there's plenty of Cartel members roaming around to spice things up. Goddamn, I bet you the Hooters's down there are all cartel fronts. Those chikkin sluts wing serving professionals all got Uzis crammed in their thongs'n shit. Prolly hard to explain that shit to the cops. "It's okay, officer. I'm just really a dude. How about a refill that I certainly didn't put any rat poison in?"
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Sat May 24, 2014 8:38 pm

Cptadder wrote:There is such a thing as law of the grandfather.  As in there is only so many generations you can reasonably put blame down the line.  For example if my father owns slaves and I profit from the big house he made them build then it makes sense to hit my estate up for reparations.

What about if it's not Slave Owner Dad but slave owner Grandfather?  It's a harder case but it can still be made that my father benefited and lived with Slaver Grandpa and I turn directly benefited from that.  But what about Slaver Great Grand father?  It's quite possible my father and his grandfather never met each other and very likely I never met my great grandfather.

Which brings me to the point that reparations traditional pass once your three generations away from the incident in questions provided it's not ongoing.  Example something that's ongoing would be a farmer in Gaza who was pushed out decades ago by security forces and who's land is currently a shopping mall instead of a farm.  That's ongoing, while something like the Yugolsavia ethnic cleansing or Rwandan genocide.
Part of the problem is that the problem doesn't stop at slavery, and to a large extent, it still hasn't stopped. After slavery officially ended, the same people who had just "freed" their slaves just adopted Jim Crow laws and draconian sharecropping systems which continued to further screw over the black population. Culpability didn't end with slavery, it didn't end after the civil rights movement, and to a large extent, it still hasn't ended. Reparations wouldn't work because our whole fucking society is still sick, maybe not as much as it was in the past, but undeniably still so. I'm with OAC on this one, because throwing money at the problem won't deal with underlying societal issues.

And now, exiting discussion.

@Hooters

Eh, their food was kind of okay. Buffalo Wild Wings has tastier bar food, and even then I usually just order wings from the mediocre pizza place near me.

Last edited by Scienza on Sat May 24, 2014 8:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 8:41 pm

@Cptadder
Aye, but the article pointed out that folks were being systematically kept down well into the '60s, and that predatory practices by Wells Fargo and other banks against poor people in general continue to keep them down because a disproportionate number of black neighborhoods are poor (not to mention that the racial component of their practices was not lost on them - see "mud people" being the term used in official documents referring to certain segments of Wells Fargo clients). Still not a reparations fan, myself, but just pointing out that this is not just a case of debts incurred from slavery.

@Hooters
Never been, and from the sound of it, I don't particularly regret that.

@Food
I made a sandwich consisting of two grilled cheeses, pulled pork, and bacon. I felt most American indeed. Also, it was delicious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Sat May 24, 2014 8:42 pm

If anything the cops are in on it.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Sat May 24, 2014 8:43 pm

I think the most American thing I've ever eaten was a burger I made with two slices of pizza.

Alas, the Double Down stopped being served at KFC before I could shove one in my face.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat May 24, 2014 8:45 pm

I have to admit, though, that I did appreciate it toward the end. I just pretended the watery, hot shit on my face and hands was fresh blood and it let me appreciate the young women a lot more.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sat May 24, 2014 8:59 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
On the plus side, at least I'm getting stationed in El Paso, where there's plenty of Cartel members roaming around to spice things up. Goddamn, I bet you the Hooters's down there are all cartel fronts. Those chikkin sluts wing serving professionals all got Uzis crammed in their thongs'n shit. Prolly hard to explain that shit to the cops. "It's okay, officer. I'm just really a dude. How about a refill that I certainly didn't put any rat poison in?"
Well, how about that. Depending on when/how long to get deployed there, we might be able to hang out sometime. I have family in El Paso, and we usually visit about once a year. I'm going there this next weekend, as a matter of fact.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 9:02 pm

Mister Frost wrote:I have to admit, though, that I did appreciate it toward the end. I just pretended the watery, hot shit on my face and hands was fresh blood and it let me appreciate the young women a lot more.

... Is that a period joke?

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat May 24, 2014 9:05 pm

Well, Robo, I'd be getting there on roughly July 8-10, depending on how much extra leave I take (I want to enjoy being home for my birthday on the 6th, after all) but one of the infantry brigades there is deploying this year to Afghanistan (and, as they're drawing up for deployment, they'll likely be sending up new guys like myself to that unit.) and then, upon their return in 2015, the Brigade is getting deactivated and all the soldiers will either be PCS'd or sent to other Brigades in the division.

And no, Last. It was a joke about the murder of defenceless young women. Way to make it weird, guy.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Sat May 24, 2014 10:10 pm

ahahahahahahahahahaha:
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sat May 24, 2014 11:15 pm

Mister Frost wrote:Well, Robo, I'd be getting there on roughly July 8-10, depending on how much extra leave I take (I want to enjoy being home for my birthday on the 6th, after all) but one of the infantry brigades there is deploying this year to Afghanistan (and, as they're drawing up for deployment, they'll likely be sending up new guys like myself to that unit.) and then, upon their return in 2015, the Brigade is getting deactivated and all the soldiers will either be PCS'd or sent to other Brigades in the division.
Ah...darn.

Well, it might happen, or it might not.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sat May 24, 2014 11:26 pm

ironlulz:
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next