Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+24
StoneSlinger88
O. Hinds
Derpmind
OneMoreDaySK
Meleagridis
Stringtheory
Downloaded Skill
Scienza
Kippershy
brony all alone
Admiral Stoic Rum
Kattlarv
cb5
Scyto Harmony
Moodyman90
RoboRed
Aonee
Valikdu
Tytan
CamoBadger
Ironmonger
Katarn
Penby
28 posters

Page 6 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 31  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 6 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Katarn Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Someone said Princest?
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 6 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Ironmonger Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:38 pm

Katarn wrote:Someone said Princest?
The impure thoughts, they invade my mind, wreaking havoc on my attention span and productivity! Crazy 

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Ironmonger wrote:
The impure thoughts, they invade my mind, wreaking havoc on my attention span and productivity! Crazy 
Tis the taint of Slaneesh. Thou must bathe in the holy light of the emperor, receive thy purifying flogging, and taketh a cold shower.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:59 pm

Tea party is serious business.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Tytan wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:
Tis the taint of Slaneesh. Thou must bathe in the holy light of the emperor, receive thy purifying flogging, and taketh a cold shower.
Oh, no, I'm fine with the taint of Slaanesh-I mean I will flog myself, and have a maniacal clown salt my wounds to make the experience better-I mean a better spiritual reinforcement. I'll manface my way through the pain by later practicing my blastmaster-I mean piano.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Ironmonger wrote:
Tytan wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:
Oh, no, I'm fine with the taint of Slaanesh-I mean I will flog myself, and have a maniacal clown salt my wounds to make the experience better-I mean a better spiritual reinforcement. I'll manface my way through the pain by later practicing my blastmaster-I mean piano.
I'm watching thou supplicant:
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Tytan wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:
Tytan wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:
The emperor was a bit of a douchebag.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Kippershy wrote:
Tytan wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:
Tytan wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:
The emperor was a bit of a douchebag.
Well yeah, dude won't even let you enjoy a good flogging with a clown in your down time.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:59 pm

So does anyone here have any clue why the solutions to (x^2)y''+xy'+0.25((x^2)-1)y=0 are just the Bessel solutions to (x^2)y''+xy'+((x^2)-0.25)y=0? Because both Wolfram and the back of the book say that they are, and I have no idea why. With x=2z (which the book in the problem tells me to use), the DE becomes 4(z^2)y''+2zy'+((z^2)-0.25)y=0=((z^2)y''+zy'+((z^2)-0.25)y)+(3(z^2)y''+zy'), and I've tried thrice, twice manually and once with Wolfram, to not get 3(z^2)y''+zy'/=0 for y being a Bessel solution to (x^2)y''+xy'+((x^2)-0.25)y=0. It is not zero, I am confident, but then how can the coefficients not change the solution?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:04 pm

...Question. How will that shit ever make a difference to your everyday life?
I understand you're an engineering student and thus complex equations are expected from you, but even when designing or expanding upon something, I fail to see how such logic flow would ever become a necessity.
It can't be more efficient to do things that way when they can simply be said in a more layman's expres​sion(even if they still aren't easy for Average Joe, but at least something that makes more sense than that.)
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Scyto/Swicked bait? She's drawn in the adventure time style:

Back to top Go down

Post by brony all alone Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:08 pm

my eyes dont hurt looking at the moon. Luna brings forth the peaceful, calm, quiet moon. sun causes drought, sunburns, moon causes peace and serenity. and with winter coming up, days are shorter, nights longer. luna is awesome. celestia is a troll and and something i dont think i can say aloud*molestia*. as of now can we land on the sun? NO. moon? yes. lunas best princess. if theres ever a war about it. i would die for the true best princess. ALL HAIL LUNA! DOWN WITH CELESTIA! who agrees with me!?
brony all alone
brony all alone
Pegasus

Brohoof! : -1

Character List:
Name: RazorWing
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:08 pm

Kippershy wrote:...Question. How will that shit ever make a difference to your everyday life?
I understand you're an engineering student and thus complex equations are expected from you, but even when designing or expanding upon something, I fail to see how such logic flow would ever become a necessity.
It can't be more efficient to do things that way when they can simply be said in a more layman's expres​sion(even if they still aren't easy for Average Joe, but at least something that makes more sense than that.)
Bessel functions crop up a lot in cylindrically symmetric circumstances, it seems.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:11 pm

As to why the logic flow matters, well, yeah, Wolfram's given me what seems to be the correct solution.  If I don't know why that's the correct solution, though, how am I to solve these sorts of problems when I don't have access to Wolfram or an equivalent?  And how am I to run a "Does this answer make sense?" check if I'm calibrated to think that the correct answer doesn't make sense?
Does that answer your question? I'm afraid that I was a bit confused by it, so I'm not sure if I answered what you actually asked.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:20 pm

brony all alone wrote: my eyes dont hurt looking at the moon. Luna brings forth the peaceful, calm, quiet moon. sun causes drought, sunburns, moon causes peace and serenity. and with winter coming up, days are shorter, nights longer. luna is awesome. celestia is a troll and and something i dont think i can say aloud*molestia*. as of now can we land on the sun? NO. moon? yes. lunas best princess. if theres ever a war about it. i would die for the true best princess. ALL HAIL LUNA! DOWN WITH CELESTIA! who agrees with me!?
You shall silence your sedition! Shall you praise the traitor, who strangled the lifeblood of Equestria with crushing darkness, starving our children and ripping away their futures? No! All hail the true Goddess, who has stayed by her people for more than a thousand years. With each year, her will grew stronger. Her love grew stronger.

It is better to be blinded by the light than to live in darkness.

Praise the Goddess! Praise Celestia!
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:24 pm

Okay, I've found something online that says that this is a rule; if the difference from a basic Bessel ODE is just (a^2)(x^2)-v instead of (x^2)-v, the solutions will just use J(ax) instead of J(x). Still no idea why, though, and I'm not sure if "The internet said that this was true" is a valid way to solve this problem.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Oh, and from the same website, some additional stuff to (hopefully) answer Kippershy's question:
"The special Bessel functions are widely used in solving problems of theoretical physics, for example in investigating
wave propagation;
heat conduction;
vibrations of membranes
in the systems with cylindrical or spherical symmetry. "
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:45 pm

Well, I have more work to do, so I've just decided to go with the rule. Hopefully I won't lose points, or at least not too many, and hopefully the professor will explain this.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:51 pm

O. Hinds wrote:As to why the logic flow matters, well, yeah, Wolfram's given me what seems to be the correct solution.  If I don't know why that's the correct solution, though, how am I to solve these sorts of problems when I don't have access to Wolfram or an equivalent?  And how am I to run a "Does this answer make sense?" check if I'm calibrated to think that the correct answer doesn't make sense?
Does that answer your question?  I'm afraid that I was a bit confused by it, so I'm not sure if I answered what you actually asked.
Yeah, I get why you'd need to understand the how of what matters about it. If you can't understand how something works you can't replicate it, only imitate.
Still, I just can't understand why such equations would be necessary in the first place. Not from you, but from the people who put them there to begin with.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by brony all alone Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:56 pm

LUNA IS THE TRUE BEST PRINCESS
ULFRIC IS TRUE HIGH KING

equestria girls is on saturd ay should i watch it.
1-10 your like of it 1 hate 10 awesome
brony all alone
brony all alone
Pegasus

Brohoof! : -1

Character List:
Name: RazorWing
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:27 pm

7, better than I expected though still had some awkward moments. Overall I liked it.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Didn't watch it. Guessed 90% of plot before it came out. Don't see a reason to torture myself.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:33 pm

I got only a few minutes into EQG before I started snarking at everything.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Kippershy wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:As to why the logic flow matters, well, yeah, Wolfram's given me what seems to be the correct solution.  If I don't know why that's the correct solution, though, how am I to solve these sorts of problems when I don't have access to Wolfram or an equivalent?  And how am I to run a "Does this answer make sense?" check if I'm calibrated to think that the correct answer doesn't make sense?
Does that answer your question?  I'm afraid that I was a bit confused by it, so I'm not sure if I answered what you actually asked.
Yeah, I get why you'd need to understand the how of what matters about it. If you can't understand how something works you can't replicate it, only imitate.
Still, I just can't understand why such equations would be necessary in the first place. Not from you, but from the people who put them there to begin with.
How else would we model things for which simpler math is inadequate?

Also, I've given up on the assignment for now. There are only 2-4 problems left on it, and hopefully tomorrow's class will be sufficiently enlightening (or at least sufficiently due-date-extending).
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Last wrote:
cb5 wrote:
Last wrote:I'm not familiar with Ebay, the age thing at the bottom means who the toy is apropriate for? I get the feeling the person who made that plush didn't read the story.

Though I highly doubt anyone would put out that kind of money for a character they're unfamiliar (It is just a stuffed animal afterall) with. So i guess it really doesn't matter.
Plushies in this fandom sell for a metric crap ton of money.
To adult fans. I meant that I don't see this being bought by a kid so the whole age thing doesn't matter.

Though I do think people who haven't read PH would buy it. I've said it before BJ's design is pretty generic. Black, Red and white are popular colors Unicorn is a popular race. So I can see someone buying it as an OC substitute. Though then again if you're willing to spend that kind of money for a plushie of your OC you could probably just commision the... Artist? Is there a specific term for someone who sews?
Look at the current bid.  The current bid is already up to $150.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:00 pm

@EQG1-10
Uh, six, I guess? It was better than it probably should have been, but it wasn't something I'd watch again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattlarv Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:09 pm

@... whomever it now was: (Platypus) I really should make my garuruplatus...

@EP: Guys, did I ever mention that I totally came up with silver spoons special talent?

@Baa: (best)  And Gummy is pest pone.

@Tytan: (Taint of Slanesh) .... you do know the term "taint" has another meaning right? xD
Kattlarv
Kattlarv
Hydra

Brohoof! : 27

Character List:
Name: Dewflower
Sex: Female-ish

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:15 pm

brony all alone wrote:equestria girls is on saturd ay should i watch it.
1-10  your like of it 1 hate 10 awesome
It's a six.  It's a mediocre movie.  The reason why it's mediocre though is that they took a 20 minute story line and extended it to 90 minutes by hitting everyone with the idiot stick.

If you take a shot of alcohol every time a character acts like a idiot you're going to be dead of alcohol poisoning within the first twenty minutes.

It should have just been a tv special episode.  If they had just made it into a twenty minute special episode it would have been a eight out of ten.

Overall review:  6 out of 10.  Best viewed when buzzed.  Worth a one time rental.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:20 pm

brony all alone wrote:equestria girls is on saturd ay should i watch it.
1-10  your like of it 1 hate 10 awesome
I'm going to say 5. It was a cute, decently animated high school drama, but it was still a high school drama. While the writing wasn't terrible, it was still something of a step down. I didn't really care for the plot, the music (the only song that I didn't immediately forget was Helping Twilight Win the Crown, and that wasn't even close to the last uber-catchy group song, True, True Friend), or the setting. I really wasn't into the character designs.

And let's not even get started on Brad.

LUNA IS THE TRUE BEST PRINCESS
ULFRIC IS TRUE HIGH KING
I think I've mentioned this before, but the Stormcloaks are kinda racist assholes to literally everyone who isn't a Nord.

Also, YOU LIE! PRAISE THE GODDESS! PRAISE CELESTIA!

Last edited by Scienza on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:21 pm

@Katt. Yes, but everyone except you knew what I was talking about, because no one ever talks about the other one.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 31  Next