Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Writing exercise / game

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Writing exercise / game

Post by Meleagridis on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:45 pm

I never thought it was a kid. I was getting the vibe of someone fully grown, but not at the mental development level of a human adult. They were connected to the family in some way, but not as close as an actual child.

When the end came around, I just wasn't entirely sure what to believe. I figured that, since they were clearly not on the same level as a thinking adult, maybe they were interpreting things differently.
Spoiler:
I thought it might have been how a dog would be viewing lethal injection. Everything getting smaller just being a way of describing the poison's effects.
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Possible inspiration :

2013-08-11-HARM-1/
Spoiler:

2013-08-11-HARM-2/
Spoiler:

Both shots are from this album : http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/photo-gallery-derelict-detroit-fotostrecke-63754.html
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:55 pm

Between those two and our conversation about the New Holy War yesterday, I've got an almost-not-shit idea brewing. If only I could stay off Darksiders 2 long enough to play it
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 502

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:2013-08-09-HARM-8/
Spoiler:
Power from beyond the veil grants wish. Unforeseen consequences.
I think I'm going to have to warm up to these writing drills. I don't often write prose, and never have as a result of other people's prompts. I mean, my creative writing classes in high school would offer stylistic stuff like "Write a story in second person.", but never anything that would actually test anyone. It was not that good of a school.

Still, I wrote something for this. Also something for Last's bleeding woman picture, but it's a poem, so I still need to convert it to prose.
I really, really need to re-learn how to write creatively, I guess...

I also don't know how to use gdocs:

Okay, so, what have we got so far?

Um, let’s see... okay, we want exactly twenty million dollars each. Dollars being from the entirely endorsed currency of the government of the United States of America, of the planet Earth we currently reside in, in this Universe, in currency of styles and mint dates that correspond perfectly with those printed in the last ten years, yeah? Non-sequential serial numbers, but not in any particular order, either. Just various random numbers, but VALID ones. We don’t want them stolen from anyone else, we need them to be created from nothing but not have duplicates in existence or potentially being made in the future. We need no one to notice these numbers are missing, though, and particularly no way for it to be traced to us. Um... what else...

Did you say that our getting this money can’t be the result of someone else losing it?

Yeah.

Nor from someone getting hurt?

Oh, no, that’s a good one. That too.

Ugh, are you guys finished, yet?

No, we gotta double-check this some more.

Why can’t you just wish for the next lottery ticket numbers or something?

Because then you, or someone else, could change the future and we wouldn’t know the difference. It’s not set in stone. Besides, the person who would otherwise win it wouldn’t if we did that.

Okay, well, what if you wished you’d won last week, then?

What, and create a paradox? ‘Oh sure, I already won, why should I wish I won?’ No, we’re doing it this way.

You guys aren’t any fun. How’s an dijin supposed to keep itself entertained when humans aren’t as stupid as they are greedy? I’m getting out of here.

...uh, no, you’re not. We haven’t made our wish, yet.

And where does it say I have to grant a wish at all?

...um...

Seriously, how else am I supposed to keep myself entertained if not by ruining the lives of you mortals?

...by not being a dick?

Ugh, you sound like my mother.

...huh. Well, there he goes. How very unforeseen and... consequential.

Indeed.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:56 pm

I've got a prompt for anyone who wants one. Source: "Fall of the Peacemakers".

"The hush of the crowd as the horse rode by -
The black lace veil hid her tears from my eyes..."
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:16 pm

swicked wrote:
Spoiler:
I think I'm going to have to warm up to these writing drills. I don't often write prose, and never have as a result of other people's prompts. I mean, my creative writing classes in high school would offer stylistic stuff like "Write a story in second person.", but never anything that would actually test anyone. It was not that good of a school.

Still, I wrote something for this. Also something for Last's bleeding woman picture, but it's a poem, so I still need to convert it to prose.

Um, let’s see... okay, we want exactly twenty million dollars each. Dollars being from the entirely endorsed currency of the government of the United States of America, of the planet Earth we currently reside in, in this Universe, in currency of styles and mint dates that correspond perfectly with those printed in the last ten years, yeah? Non-sequential serial numbers, but not in any particular order, either. Just various random numbers, but VALID ones. We don’t want them stolen from anyone else, we need them to be created from nothing but not have duplicates in existence or potentially being made in the future. We need no one to notice these numbers are missing, though, and particularly no way for it to be traced to us. Um... what else...

Did you say that our getting this money can’t be the result of someone else losing it?

Yeah.

Because then you, or someone else, could change the future and we wouldn’t know the difference. It’s not set in stone. Besides, the person who would otherwise win it wouldn’t if we did that.

What, and create a paradox? ‘Oh sure, I already won, why should I wish I won?’ No, we’re doing it this way.

You guys aren’t any fun. How’s an dijin supposed to keep itself entertained when humans aren’t as stupid as they are greedy? I’m getting out of here.

...um...

Seriously, how else am I supposed to keep myself entertained if not by ruining the lives of you mortals?

...by not being a dick?

Indeed.
 There a particular reason absolutely none of that dialogue is in quotes? Because if it's not a conversation toward the end, it certainly seems like one.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
swicked wrote:
Spoiler:

Yeah.

...um...

...by not being a dick?

Indeed.
 There a particular reason absolutely none of that dialogue is in quotes? Because if it's not a conversation toward the end, it certainly seems like one.
...I forgot.
All of it is dialogue.
Just stuff... still trying to write stuff that isn't too derivative. I started writing something about your four horsemen on page 1, but I just realized it's a lot like this book that's on my nightstand that I don't remember the name of at the moment.
This is very difficult.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Aside from that, though, I liked it. It was somewhat amusing that they went through all the trouble dealing with a creature that may or may not have even been the "fuck people over for fun" type of genie.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:09 pm

Kay. I just wanted to subvert the prompt. I probably should have put more effort into it. I'll do better next time.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:21 pm

StoneSlinger88 wrote:I've got a prompt for anyone who wants one. Source: "Fall of the Peacemakers".

"The hush of the crowd as the horse rode by -
The black lace veil hid her tears from my eyes..."
 I like it. I might be able to shit something out
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:26 am

Last edited by swicked on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:43 am

Last wrote:
Possible Swicked prompt:
I think I'm getting better at this.
This next write was just fun for me. Somewhat minimal editing (changed some stuff around from the original draft to work with the focus), so it's pretty rough.
Still, very fun to write, so yay :D

Oh, and grimdark warning? Maybe? The prompt kinda implies it, but at the same time, I don't think this is written quite well-enough to qualify...
Bought with Blood:
Her body had long-since passed the point of being capable of healing itself. She knew that with every passing blow, faint and counter, even as she prepared her next, and the next after that, and the next after that...
CRASH
A spear of blood embedded itself in her sternum and promptly exploded, barely missing her heart. The attack was weak... in fact, in someone of average health, it might not have made it much deeper than the skin. That said, it utterly crippled her nearly-ruined body, but not nearly enough. Still not enough, she thought as she brought her hand to the massive wound.
“Yield, damn it, while we’re both still standing!” someone yelled. Probably. The voice itself had the contrasting quality of sounding both like a rasp and a gurgle at the same time and it was hard to make that out with what remained of her ears. If her opponent was in anywhere near the same state she was, those words were likely the majority of the air left in his lungs. She aimed at the source of the voice as her right hand pulled blood, viscera and bone from the gaping hole he had just made in her, throwing them out while she charged them with her vindictiveness. The sound of wet impacts greeted her as her spell met its mark.
“Fall.” Was all she could manage as she drew strength from within. From her trump card, something the man across from her could never attempt to counter no matter his stamina. Yes, he was bigger than her, full of life and vigor... if her memories served her, that is. Her eyes certainly no longer were.
“No, I... I want to live.” He pleaded back at her. She smiled even as bile filled her mouth, her organs failing and backing up on her.
“Fall.” She repeated as her mouth’s contents spilled upon the floor. Drawing herself up as far as she could, she decided it was time to end this... finally. Cracking her neck... an action that caused several vertebrae to shift dangerously, she pulled out all of what little life she had inside her, filling her body with renewed vigor before spewing it forth, the droplets of blood from every orifice taking flight like the heads of a thousand jagged arrows, the man’s scream filling her ruined ears as every part of him still facing her was reduced to shredded meat.
Grinning, she staggered forward towards the broken blood mage’s still-warm body, and kneeling down over him and placing her hand above his heart. She didn’t need eyes to see that; she had felt from miles away. It was what led her here, after all.
Crushing her hand into his chest she felt the last of his life leave him and soaked in the raw power of it and focusing it to, at the very least, repair her eyes.
More important than that, however... she took his pacts. She could feel them rip free from his damned soul, cascading over her own, and felt her inner eye open a little wider... more power, more control, and more prey... their heart beats flaring across the lands around her as they struggled to survive.
It would be hours before she’d make it back to camp, the wasteland around her offering no shelter to the likes of her and tearing into her severely-weakened body with every stray grain of sand. But she would make it. She always made it.
Staggering into their hideout, her lover greeted her with open arms. “Good kill?” he asked, his grin as venomous as her own. “The ‘trump card’ helped, didn’t it?”
She laughed at that as he set about healing her... his own blood seeping slowly out from his cuticles, his raw health making it far more potent than a gallon of her own could at the moment.
“That it did.”
“Ready to make another?” he asked as his hands began to roam in their ministrations, feeling returning to her skin and extremities. Very, very pleasurable feeling. Grinning, she met his eyes.
“Always.”

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:05 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:I need to make something that's not gray and depressing, anyway.
Oh Boy.
Spoiler:
Dude, that's so wasteful. If I were that dumptruck guy, looking at a perfectly functioning robot, I would absolutely go put that thing on ebay.
...other than that, due to the style of the writing, I don't really know what could be done to improve it. Good job :D

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:26 am

swicked wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:2013-08-09-HARM-4/
Spoiler:
The distant sound of laughter
This.
This and the four horsemen from the first page, though not as they look there

Note that I stopped after the first page or so, didn't know what to do next, and picked it up again later.

In any case, I like the result well-enough, and it's a better example of my writing style than the last thing was.
 I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. 

We've got Red--War, obviously, and Black--Famine. We've also got Pale and Green, who are both Death (the word translated into 'pale' in Revelations describes a sickly green color, like a corpse) but no White, which is the color of Conquest or Pestilence, depending on your interpretation. I suppose that first woman was Pestilence, though. 

The Horsemen also acted a fair bit like normal people. It makes setting up the comedic scene easier, but one would expect that anthropomorphic personifications of four very, very I pleasant concepts would have traces of them in their personalities.

Last edited by Mister Frost on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:29 am

Mister Frost wrote:
swicked wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:2013-08-09-HARM-4/
Spoiler:
The distant sound of laughter
This.
This and the four horsemen from the first page, though not as they look there

Note that I stopped after the first page or so, didn't know what to do next, and picked it up again later.

In any case, I like the result well-enough, and it's a better example of my writing style than the last thing was.
 I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. 

We've got Red--War, obviously, and Black--Famine. We've also got Pale and Green, who are both Death (the word translated into 'pale' in Revelations describes a sickly green color, like a corpse) but no White, which is the color of Conquest or Pestilence, depending on your interpretation. I suppose that first woman was Pestilence, though. 

The Horsemen also acted a fair bit like normal people. It makes setting up the comedic scene easier, but one would expect that anthropomorphic personifications of four very, very I pleasant concepts would have traces of them in their personalities.
I based it on your pictures, Frost, but I didn't base it strictly :P
Mister Frost wrote:
The fab four:
Pale is famine, green is pestilence, red is war and dark is death ^_^
If the colors are wrong, I'm claiming artistic license, so ha :P

Last edited by swicked on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : deleting stuff)

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:34 am

Oh, and I remembered the story that served as partial inspiration for their interpretation.
Good Omens

In it, the four have basically been spending eternity as normal people (with exception to death), and only don their biblical personifications right then since the world's gonna be ending.

It's an awesome scene and I don't even attempt to do it justice. I read that thing years ago, now.

Edit:
That said, have it on my kindle again (well, previously had it on my old kindle, now I have a new one, so it's on that) so I'm gonna start reading it.
The book is hecka good.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:50 am

In Good Omens, the Four are not only far from normal, but practically egging on the apocalypse. 

Red-War instigates wars and conflicts, and in many cases actually arms the combatants. 

Black-Famine owns a food corporation whose products actually cause starvation 

White-Pollution(who took over for Pestilence. As usual, Conquest is not mentioned) goes around causing oil spills and industrial accidents
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:52 am

Mister Frost wrote:In Good Omens, the Four are not only far from normal, but practically egging on the apocalypse. 

Red-War instigates wars and conflicts, and in many cases actually arms the combatants. 

White-Pollution(who took over for Pestilence. As usual, Conquest is not mentioned) goes around causing oil spills and industrial accidents
Yeah, that's what they're doing with their lives, not how they acted when talking to each oth...

...nevermind, I'm not going to defend this.
I screwed up their interpretation, clearly.
I'm taking it back, now.

Edit: Please remove the story from your post, Frost.

Edit2: Thanks.
Personally, though, I still like what I wrote.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:19 am

swicked wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:I need to make something that's not gray and depressing, anyway.
Oh Boy.
Spoiler:
Dude, that's so wasteful. If I were that dumptruck guy, looking at a perfectly functioning robot, I would absolutely go put that thing on ebay.
...other than that, due to the style of the writing, I don't really know what could be done to improve it. Good job :D
Thank you. Lyra 

Spoiler:
As for the guy's reaction... Heh. It could be that he hates robots and that his smile was a sadistic one. Or it could be that a five year old homebot isn't worth enough on the used market to warrant the trouble of putting it in the cabin and having to bear with it the whole workday until they can get to a shop to erase its memory.

or it could simply be that he sees the same thing happening at least once a week and doesn't give a shit anymore ?

Man...

2013-08-11-HARM-3/
Spoiler:
The ordinary life of a garbage collector.

Last edited by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:13 pm

swicked wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:In Good Omens, the Four are not only far from normal, but practically egging on the apocalypse. 

Yeah, that's what they're doing with their lives, not how they acted when talking to each oth...

...nevermind, I'm not going to defend this.
I screwed up their interpretation, clearly.
I'm taking it back, now.

Edit: Please remove the story from your post, Frost.

Edit2: Thanks.
Personally, though, I still like what I wrote.
FYI,

I liked it. On its own it was fine.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:33 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:FYI,

I liked it. On its own it was fine.
Yeah, but I should try not to do derivative stuff. I miss out on basic details all the time. What little writing I show to others tends to suffer for it.
If I do any more writings for this thread, they won't be based on outside works. At least, not so intentionally.

But I like the way I described things in the work. The later half is gonna be scrapped, but the first half is going in my archive.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:34 am

2013-08-12-HARM-1/
Spoiler:
"I looked into [her/his/its] eyes, and only saw myself."
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:39 am

2013-08-12-HARM-2/
Spoiler:
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Prompt:

swicked wrote:
wicked9:
I tried this one.
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Heh. That was pretty awesome.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Meleagridis wrote:
Prompt:

swicked wrote:
wicked9:
I tried this one.
Ha! Bravo! Bravo!
That was quite entertaining ^_^

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:04 pm

So I go away for a few days, and this place is already dead ?

Anyway...

2013-08-16-HARM-1/
Spoiler:
Mighty Horn

2013-08-16-HARM-2/
Spoiler:
Nothing

Maybe I'll try my hand at one of the prompts tonight. I'll see.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:30 pm

I've just been quite distracted as of late; it's been hectic.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:35 pm

2013-08-21-HARM-1/
Spoiler: