Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

X-Com: Enemy Unknown Let's Play

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: X-Com: Enemy Unknown Let's Play

Post by Moodyman90 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:25 pm

I've had that happen to me twice now. More if you don't count reloads.

Glitch? No, a glitch would be the aliens started appearing right on to of you. Like you was fighting the Heavy Floaters and than suddenly the Sectopod just appeared in the middle of your squad.

A spawn script problem left in to screw over players to spice up combat? Most likely.

If I find myself going to a supply ship and they put me in the front, I go around it. Don't care how long it takes, I get my guys in a position where they're fighting on leveled ground, if not elevated, with plenty of cover and avoid the kill zone that is the big open spaces on that ship.

Though really, if the game wants to screw you over, it will. I splashed a medium sized UFO, cleared the entire thing, than went on a marry chase after the late aliens following their sound only to find a Sectopod has spawned in the center room after I had already cleared it.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:39 pm

A sectopod spawned on top of one of the spaceships, once. That was weird.
Wasn't even an area my guys could climb to. I had to wait for it to get to the edge. Luckily, I had multiple people capable of suppression, or that elevation advantage would have been killer.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:42 pm

I love it when they spawn inside a really small room and try to bombard me. Great big old alien warmech and the thing seems to have forgotten that there's a roof over it.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:27 pm

I've gone against a supply ship that had my guys starting near a large hanger filled with four or five groups of mutons. Luckily, by the time they were revealed, my two colonel level squadsight snipers were in high ground and they ended up taking out all of the mutons almost single handedly.

Coincidentally, getting my snipers onto high ground ASAP is pretty much my goto strategy for any map.

Oh, and I read that the teleporting alien thing actually is a glitch. Apparently, until you actually uncover a group of aliens, they just TP around the map, sometimes popping up in the sights of your soldiers. It was fixed in Enemy Within which makes the undiscovered groups actually rome the map like discovered aliens.

Got a question for you guys. I haven't gotten a chance to try it, but can you zap cyberdisks and sectopods with an arc thrower?
jacky2734
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name: Kage/Searing Willow
Sex: male/male
Species: Gryphon/Deer

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:06 pm

No, no you can't. Don't try it. Don't try it if you want your guys to live. Same goes for the Chryssalids. If you haven't tried that already, don't. Those units can not be stunned.
*flashback to the time he tried that on a Chryssalids and nearly lost that trooper.*
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Speaking of chrysalids, has anyone had the pleasure yet of doing the Enemy within council mission where your team has to investigate the seaside town full of them?
jacky2734
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:30 pm

I did, and was lucky my game postponed that mission till somewhere between late July and mid August. Had a full squad of high level asskickers kitted out with top level armor and weapons. Gene-modded soldiers, including a sniper with the memetirc skin. (Low Profile so everything counts as high cover, and the skin makes you invisible when you move to high cover.) And two MECs loaded with explosives. There was a point I stopped being afraid and started to wish soldiers could keep score. Still made sure to beat that mission ASAP though, no hanging around.

Like I said, I got lucky. I've heard the horror stories of that mission popping up in month 2 with a barely leveled squad and only ballistic weapons.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:07 pm

Whelp, just suffered my first Code Black. Lost half of my A-team and half of my B-team.

We were assaulting a landed supply ship. Started out right by the control room. got my team up there and surrounded it before planning to enter an neutralize the enemies in there. Then a Muton squad rushed out, took all but the berserker out with a rocket. Then I moved to take down the berserker, ended up revealing another muton squad. After that, every move I made just seemed to uncover another Muton squad or Sectopod. The final nail in the coffin was when a squad of Elite Mutons popped in from behind my team, killed both of my snipers, and panicked my senior Heavy.

RIP Jack O'neill
RIP Daniel Jackson
RIP Samantha Carter
RIP Ronan Dex
RIP John Shepard
RIP Teyla Emmagan
jacky2734
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:23 am

Oh yeah, sounds like your game decide to screw you over. No lube either.

Best way to make up for their death is to get revenge. Good old explody revenge. With a side of heavy plasma burns.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down