Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

X-Com: Enemy Within

+3
Kippershy
Downloaded Skill
Valikdu
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

X-Com: Enemy Within Empty X-Com: Enemy Within

Post by Valikdu Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:05 pm

So... Today was the reveal.
First, there's this ominous teaser:

And then, there's this interview. It is guaranteed to make you think thoughts that amount to "DO WANT".

She never asked for this:
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

X-Com: Enemy Within Empty Re: X-Com: Enemy Within

Post by Downloaded Skill Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Looks very interesting, but I'm kind of worried it'll make your soldiers too powerful too soon. IMO the worst part of the game was when you matched or were superior to the aliens you fought. I hope there are more enemy types and tactics to compensate.
Downloaded Skill
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Someone needs to make a robo-assault female and name her Blackjack.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:11 pm

Damn it! I was gonna make a post in my X-Com thread about this.

Oh well. I'm looking forward to this. Dr. Shen probably isn't going to like this though. He disapproved of the Floaters, and it was stated by end game that was a dead end.

I wonder if the cyber-facation will come with a downside. Like the troops losing their psi-on abilities... or if there's a chance of them going mad. Like the unholy hybrid of physic control and panicked, shooting everything in sight.

Sure will be an interesting addition to the Let's Play that's for sure.

Edit: Just watched the interview. I think I came.

The idea that my multinational troopers will actually sound like they're from different countries rather than All English all the time is one I wanted since I got the game. I would also love it if they found a way to make is so that my troopers actually develop externally as they level up. Or maybe randomized unlocks depending on their rank and class, kind like when they get their nickname. Like alien skull facepaint for my Assaults troops based on which aliens they've killed the most of. Kinda like the idea of an Assault with a Muton skull painted on his face running up to an Elite and saying hello with his Alloy Canon.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Lots of really great additions. A bit worried about how the new resource, and how it is gotten, will affect the pacing of the game. Also, rebalancing has ups and down, but it appears they're adding more than they are taking.

Dr. Shen will not like this. Not a bit.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Well it was stated that shaking up the pacing was one of the reason for the expansion.

And like the video said "The old standard of "Rookie, take point." may become "Rookie, go after the MELD."

Now what would be interesting is if you could turn Enemy Within on or off, just like Slingshot or the Second Wave stuff.

Also, it's still called Enemy Within so I'm expecting something to make the tone darker.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:27 am

An article at IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/21/xcom-enemy-within-announced-tons-of-details

Bonus info! There is a button in the pre-mission UI that strips all soldiers not currently assigned to the Skyranger team of all equipment. So no more digging through your entire roster looking for the off-duty guy who has the arc thrower equipped, or that extra set of Ghost armor!

OH FUCK YES
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:25 am

That is good news. I can't remmeber having too much of a problem with that, outside of a wounded trooper getting all their stuff back as soon as they was healed and I wasn't planning on using them next mission, but that is good news.

Love the annoucsment of shaking up existing abilities, making some of the lesser picked ones more desirable. Yeah it sucks Squad Sight sounds like it's getting nerfed, but at least maybe this way the final boss doesn't go down in two Sniper shots and a rocket.

Also interested in the Second Wave option to randomize what abilities the troops get. Granted they'll probably stay inside the same Rank upgrades, but a man can dream about a Support with full Medkit upgrades AND Lightning Reflexes, or a Heavy with Bullet Swarm and Rapid fire.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:31 am

So this is going to be a seperate "adventure" from the normal Xcom game? The fact that Enemy Within will be a standalone on PS# seems to support the idea.

The Article wrote:There's also a much-needed option to pre-configure your squads offline, before jumping into a match and awkwardly fiddling with your points for 20 minutes before starting a game.
Valikdu wrote:
Bonus info! There is a button in the pre-mission UI that strips all soldiers not currently assigned to the Skyranger team of all equipment. So no more digging through your entire roster looking for the off-duty guy who has the arc thrower equipped, or that extra set of Ghost armor!
OH FUCK YES
Finally!
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:57 am

From what it sounds like to me, it's an expansion for the PC and an updated re-release for XBox and PS3.

Granted, there may be an actual plot to it that I'm guessing is gonna run parallel to the main game. Of course if there is an actual plot will it be something fully integrated to the game or just kinda tacked on like Slingshot and whatever that other DLC that was canceled.

Also still wonder if you'll have the option of turning Enemy Within on or off at the start of a new game.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Unrelated note:
I'm playing The Betra Bureau right now.
Well, it's... not as awful as it could have been. But still, there's no way that this actually fits in with the EU world, as 2K claims.
Also, the protag's growly voice got annoying really fast.
On the other hand, I like the decorations. And the gameplay is ok. It's got better tactical elements than Mass Effect, certainly.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:43 pm

Basically we playing as Batman with company of Garrus and some other dude (don't tell me you wouldn't pick 'Garrus' VA!)

Put it simply, game is about 'heal/disable bot' and 'those two retards'. Chicken 

I think I'm half-way through.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:54 pm

I guess I should pick up that game as well. If for nothing else then to see if I like it or not. I have too many games as it is though.

So, with Enemy Within still a ways away, who wants to start guessing what the achievements are going to be? There's 30 new ones listed on Steam, which is over half as many as what's in the game now.

Obviously there's going to be one or two for making a MEC troop or fully gene augmenting one of your others, but any idea what the others could be?
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Kill or du stuff with your new powers/weapons, etc. Maybe 'capture % nombers of aliens' or that sort of thing, maybe 5 or 10 of them for versus mode....hell, maybe it could be 4 team versus! Aliens, normal x-com, MEC and mutated.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Punch/burn X number of aliens with a MEC.

Defeat a Sectipod one on one with a MEC.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Damn, dat typos, sorry.

And yeah, I think that's what we'll get. Do you know if it'll be expansion pack or how it was with Slingshot and other DLC?
I mean add content past endgame or add content in-game?
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:55 pm

I'm going with add content in-game.

I mean, I'd love past endgame stuff but my bet's on in-game stuff. I mean, there's the mechtoids fighting along side regular sectoids, which puts some of this before midgame unless they're extending how long Sectoids show up.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:04 pm

They've mentioned that it will just be (tons of) enhancements to the existing game. I think.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:18 pm

*sigh* And they will be charging for this as for whole new game, right? It's usual, what they do at this point.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:24 pm

I thought they've mentioned $30. That's the standard expansion pack price, I think (?)

Unrelated:
The Bureau spoiler:
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Bureau is one big plothole.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:31 pm

I could just treat it as a big AU fanfic. But I need internal consistency in it!
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Just forget it, it's same FPS 'based on xcom' game, but they made it 3d person cover shooter, same enemies, same ideas, just changed our POV from first person to third person.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:41 pm

It's a $30 expansion on Steam, and a $40 game on X-Box and PS3 last I heard. 

And I wish I could answer that Bureau question, but I don't have it lol.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:10 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:I'm going with add content in-game.

I mean, I'd love past endgame stuff but my bet's on in-game stuff. I mean, there's the mechtoids fighting along side regular sectoids, which puts some of this before midgame unless they're extending how long Sectoids show up.
Well remember that the secbots can get boosted by secs. So secs, while not inherently challenging, can raise the difficulty of trying to contend with a secbot in the presence of so much secs.

I really hope there is more variety added to aliens than just the secbot. I know that Chryssalids can now give you a needle grenade thingy... is this just something that needs another Chrys corpse, or maybe a new breed of Chrys? I know I'd love a little more variety for multiplayer- Chrys are fun, but extremely specialized and drop like flies. And another sectoid wouldn't go amiss, either. Mutons get three different varieties to play around with, sectoids get two. Even worse, sec's specialty is using excessive secs to overwhelm your adversary. But with multiplayer layout, you are really limited in the number of cheap secs you can have. There should be intermediate secs to go along with tiny secs and dominating secs, or maybe something above the dominating commander.
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:36 pm

I'm predicting uber cyberdisk, and maybe Muton cybertroops.

You know, if Floaters aren't actually a form of Muton.

I wouldn't mind some completely different ones though.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Well...
I've just finished The Bureau.
I think it's okay.
It's probably as good as it could get consideing the circumstances (it being a shooter, the turns the development had taken, the inherent issues of setting it in 1962 and so on).
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Don't forget it was developing by different studio, than EU and started earlier, than EU...and still tried to fit the lore...tbh, this game should've been call'd The Bureau: Declassified. It has nothing to do with XCOM series, since this all contradicts any other XCOM game.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Not sure you should count it being a shooter as a limiting quality. Sure shooters have stagnated recently but just because a game's a shooter doesn't mean it automatically is bad or should be held to lower standards.

Unless of course you're saying that X-com doesn't translate to shooters which I would disagree.

I think the games real problem was time constraints. For instance I watched a first impressions video in which the player complained that there were no research options and that they gained powers with no explanation of where they came from. However before the games release I saw them showcasing a power which allowed for the capture of alien technology. The guy who was playing said you could use what you captured immediately for a short time to clear out foes or bring it back to your base for research and gain bonuses of some sort.

Anyway having not played Xcom myself I could be wrong entirely but I  think the devs of this game had the right ideas. And given enough time they could translate Xcom into this format. All that being said a product can not be judged on what could have been. It's too bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:18 pm

The guy who was playing said you could use what you captured immediately for a short time to clear out foes or bring it back to your base for research and gain bonuses of some sort.
There is no such power. First alien weapon you find is laser shotgun. Imideatly your CO says 'it's rare equipment to find just lying around, usually they are disintegrated with it's owners'. And guess what? In next 5 minutes you'll find ~15 such weapons just lying around. You can use them immediately, unlimited period of time and any squad member can use them (if not falls under class restriction).

As for x-com...there was TPS..once...Enforcer. It's usually call'd heresy, to say, that Enforcer fits the lore of x-com or good game in general.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content